Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Site Headquarters

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-06-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

TROUBLESHOOTING for Photos, Avatars + Profile Pictures

Quick FAQ when uploading new pictures for your gallery, avatar, or profile icon =

Gallery Photos
these are the cosplay photographs that are of you are that you have taken of others
- File type = .jpg
- File (space) size = 450 kb max
- Image (visual) size = 900 pixels max, on the longest side
UPLOAD GALLERY PHOTOS HERE
Forum Avatars
this is the little picture to the left of your forum posts (may include artwork)
- File type = .jpg or .gif
- File (space) size = 19.5 kb max
- Image (visual) size = can be up to 150x150 pixels (does not need to be square)
UPLOAD FORUM AVATARS HERE
Profile Icon
this is the photo of you on your profile page and gallery replies (cannot include artwork)
- File type = .jpg
- File (space) size = 19.5 kb max
- Image (visual) size = exactly 200x200 pixels (must be square)
UPLOAD PROFILE SQUARES HERE

Note: Many issues with uploading gallery photos can be solved by uploading your photos one at a time rather than in a bulk upload. Give that a shot and see if it works better for you.

If you still can't upload pictures successfully, post your file along with your reply below to receive troubleshooting help. This is how you do that =
  • Click the "Go Advanced" option below the Quick Reply box at the bottom of this page.
  • Type out your specific problem in the text field with details on your OS, browser, photo editing program, etc.
  • Click on the little paperclip icon (Attachments) to attach the problematic file in question so that we can look at what you are working with directly.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Assistance for gallery photos that have been already posted =
  • Photos that you no longer want to have displayed must be deleted one by one. There is not a mass delete option (yet) even for the mods.
  • Photos cannot be re-ordered in your sub-galleries. (Again, "yet.") Consider what you would like to be your last image, as the most current upload will become your gallery thumbnail.
  • If a ridiculous number (in the billions) is listed for your photo count, that issue cannot be currently fixed. That is a known bug but should not otherwise affect viewing your gallery.
  • If you have blank "phantom" images (will be a white space with a caption that usually says 1969, but have no thumbnail) that issue CAN be fixed. Just post below with your galleries that are affected, and we can remove them for you.

Also...if you are seeing this message:
Quote:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of xxxxxxxxxx bytes exhausted (tried to allocate xxxxxx bytes) in /home/cosplay/public_html/user_photos.php on line xxx
...that means your photo file is too big. O_O Remember to save with the correct pixels (as noted above) at 72 dpi (screen resolution) and optimized for the web (i.e. not with PS/editing/thumbnail info) in order to trim down the file size without sacrificing what your photo will display as.

Last edited by Yui : 02-18-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Yui is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
Giedrius

whats wrong with photos?
look what i see in profile
http://www.imagebam.com/image/f7c48c110008724
why my photos was uploded at 1970 years?

My DeviantArt galery ~Giedriusonline
Giedrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Giedrius = I deleted the bank photos for you.
Unread 12-10-2010, 01:44 AM   #4
Ryoko-and-Yami
SO inappropriate!

Photo Magically disappearing

I uploaded a photo twice and it magically has disappeared from my album twice. I can see it when I go to my comments and click on my comments but it disappeared from the album http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2791568/c_1/#2872626 It also isn't under my "all photos"
http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/a50381/ What is going on?

Please check out my cosplay page! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ryoko...62057050481980

Currently selling a variety of wigs, costumes, anime, and manga! Check it out! http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/s...0/ppuser/50381
Ryoko-and-Yami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Check to see if your photos were moderated here = http://www.cosplay.com/user_messages.php?do=system

If they were hidden due to containing artwork (which is against the gallery rules) you can re-upload a new file (that is only photography w/ no art on it) by clicking on the underlined number link, and choosing "Edit Photo" under the caption. After you re-upload a fresh file and save from that screen, your photo page will be visible again.
Unread 12-10-2010, 02:10 AM   #6
Ryoko-and-Yami
SO inappropriate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui View Post
Check to see if your photos were moderated here = http://www.cosplay.com/user_messages.php?do=system

If they were hidden due to containing artwork (which is against the gallery rules) you can re-upload a new file (that is only photography w/ no art on it) by clicking on the underlined number link, and choosing "Edit Photo" under the caption. After you re-upload a fresh file and save from that screen, your photo page will be visible again.
Oh okay thank you. I guess that just didn't come to my mind about the artwork. But I think there should be an email or message sent out about that type of thing.

Please check out my cosplay page! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ryoko...62057050481980

Currently selling a variety of wigs, costumes, anime, and manga! Check it out! http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/s...0/ppuser/50381
Ryoko-and-Yami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #7
JcBoPer95

um what do they mean by jpeg? i tried 2 upload a profile pic of myself but 2 no avail. i need help!!! n also what do they mean by 200x200?
JcBoPer95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2010, 04:43 AM   #8
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Ryoko-and-Yami = Well, it's part of the rules everyone agreed to when signing up (that are always visible here) plus an extra warning notice appears in red on the upload screen itself. So…I think that counts as the message. ^_^; But maybe an additional auto-message when photos are hidden might be something Admin chooses to add for a future version of the site…?

JcBoPer95 = You don't need a complicated photo editor to prepare your profile icon to the required specs (as listed in the first post) - but if you think your computer doesn't have any image program that might work for this task, there is an online re-sizer + square icon-maker you can use for free here =
http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/
Unread 12-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #9
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Talking

Hi Yui, Merry Christmas. I have a question about my Profile Icon.

Okay, I've uploaded a different picture for my Profile Icon and it's 200x200 exactly. The new Profile Icon is of a close up of me with cat ears on. My old Profile Icon is of me with my two cats. When I veiw it, I see the new Profile Icon (one of me with cat ears) on that very page and it seems that the upload has worked; however, when I try veiwing my profile page, I still have my old Profile Icon (one with the cats) still there. I've tried signing in and out to see if it would change and it hasn't.

Can you tell me why that is? Thanks, I really want to change that very old Profile Icon of me to this new one and keep it there^_^

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2010, 12:43 PM   #10
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

KittyAngel = You're actually all good. Your pic that I see on your profile is the one with you wearing the cat ears. If the new image hasn't replaced itself on your end yet, it just means that you viewed the old one recently, so your computer is pulling from your saved browser cache rather than really displaying what is currently uploaded - but you can still clear your cache manually to see what everybody else will see. If you hold down the shift key while you press Reload your the browser page, you should be all reset.
Unread 12-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Talking

Quote:
KittyAngel = You're actually all good. Your pic that I see on your profile is the one with you wearing the cat ears. If the new image hasn't replaced itself on your end yet, it just means that you viewed the old one recently, so your computer is pulling from your saved browser cache rather than really displaying what is currently uploaded - but you can still clear your cache manually to see what everybody else will see. If you hold down the shift key while you press Reload your the browser page, you should be all reset.
Thanks Yui! I just went into my profile page and I see the new picture. I'm good now. Anyway, Merry Christmas

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 01:31 AM   #12
nana-chan00
Believe In Yourself

This is what keeps appearing every time I try to upload a new picture, whats going on?
The pictures are sized down to less than 450

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 7776 bytes) in /home/cosplay/public_html/user_photos.php on line 754
nana-chan00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 10:24 PM   #13
Alish
Alice

Profile Picture does not change even when deleting

Profile Picture does not change, I have followed the 200x200 pix. And the not bigger than 19kb, and its a square, it says it has uploaded but when I go to my profile nothing has changed I have even deleted the picture but nothing happens.

I have uploaded the same picture as my avatar but it still shows the old one.

Last edited by Alish : 12-27-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: correction
Alish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 03:51 AM   #14
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

nana-chan00 = That is the error when your photo is too large. Depending on how you saved it, it might be actually bigger in reality than your OS tells you due to rounding, and it looks like you are very close. Usually, gallery photos only need to be around 200 kb at most. (So maybe your resolution is more than 72 dpi? Anything higher than that is for printing and can't be seen on screen anyway.) If you can't get it to work, attach it to a reply so we can look at the exact file and double-check.

Alish = Your profile picture is the same as your forum avatar for me. (In order to clear the cache of the old pic on your computer, hold down the shift key as you press reload.)
Unread 12-28-2010, 05:36 AM   #15
nana-chan00
Believe In Yourself

Quote:
nana-chan00 = That is the error when your photo is too large. Depending on how you saved it, it might be actually bigger in reality than your OS tells you due to rounding, and it looks like you are very close. Usually, gallery photos only need to be around 200 kb at most. (So maybe your resolution is more than 72 dpi? Anything higher than that is for printing and can't be seen on screen anyway.) If you can't get it to work, attach it to a reply so we can look at the exact file and double-check.

Alish = Your profile picture is the same as your forum avatar for me. (In order to clear the cache of the old pic on your computer, hold down the shift key as you press reload.)

Thank you. I was able to fix the problem.
nana-chan00 is offline   Reply With Quote