Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #16
nannyogg
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSilhouetteLust View Post
I think I want to see my life in a few years where I finally get my GED, learn how to drive even though I'm 19, and then go to Beauty School. It's always sort of been a huge goal I've had. That and to get better at my sewing and art. [:
What about going through job corps and getting your GED and some job training? A lot of their programs are fairly quick (months) and best of all, it's free. It's open to up to age 24 and they pay your expenses and a small stipend while you're in the program. I know several people who have done it and it really helped jump start getting back on track (and one ended up with a full 4 year tuition scholarship to a state university through it). Anyway, just thought I'd mention it since a lot of people don't know that option exists.
nannyogg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #17
DaemonForce
Unhealed

The problem with that is that I got my GED in order to get Federal employment. I made the right choice paying my way through GED courses, getting good job experience with people and engines and making ~$75K during the past 4 years than waiting for a program to open up like one of my friends tried. He may have gotten a few tangible skills but I have better financial security and a stronger perception of this clockwork world.

I guess the Job Corps is a great option for those that have been spinning their wheels for a long time but if you're young and have a sharp mind, go get your GED. There's no excuse not to do it.
Aki'11 - 1%
Yaoi'11 - 1%

Dance
Cantarella - 25%
Hare Hare Yukai (Non-Lead) - 35%
DaemonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 09:08 AM   #18
Pocketfightr
Merc who grants wishes

I think I only have a 5 year-ish goal... I'd like to see myself in a happy relationship with a cute pet and sweet home. (Ok, that last part was actually a reference to DNA^2.)
Nene (Bubblegum Crisis) -eventually?

2014 Cons:
Detour
Acen
Dragon*Con
Nebraskon
Pocketfightr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #19
SweetOcarina
will switch on you~

In five years time? I want to be on at least £30,000 pa and have a nice rented apartment and be able to not worry too much about money rather than penny pinching like I have to now. By the time I'm 30 I want to be on £45,000+.
SweetOcarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #20
sam vimes
A real live wire

My biggest life goal is not to be set on fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #21
Cadmium Polyphony
Hiro Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
My biggest life goal is not to be set on fire.
You and I are completely different people.

I hate cute.

Podcast Channel
Cadmium Polyphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 11:05 AM   #22
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

1: Working for a publisher (again) or possibly a video game company. I've got a few companies that want writing samples. Hopefully it will work out.
5: Working. In the publication process for the novel. Married.
10: Published novel. One kid. In that order.

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #23
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Cadmium View Post
You and I are completely different people.
I'm sorry, I was speaking metaphorically. I wouldn't mind being physically set on fire, but I don't want to be passionate about anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #24
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
I'm sorry, I was speaking metaphorically. I wouldn't mind being physically set on fire, but I don't want to be passionate about anything.
Ah, if that's the case, within 5 years, I think I should aim to seek out you and In Cadmium and gift you with various pyrotechnic supplies. XD
Unread 12-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #25
acostory
Draw!

In 1 year, I'll be in school. In 5 years, I'll be in school. In 10 years, I'll be in school. Because as my mum says, I'll probably be in school for a long time, even though I hate it.
acostory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #26
Kildread
I can fix it!

Living.

I normally don't set goals that far ahead in the future, it allows me to consider the opportunities the present offers me.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 08:34 PM   #27
nannyogg
:)

For the next 16 years, I plan to be raising my kids, maintaining my career, and finding ways to amuse myself. Then I get to retire early, and I hope to either do Peace Corps or teach English abroad. That'll be awesome
nannyogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 09:10 PM   #28
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

1 year: Moved to where my gf and friends are... showing my own horse and my gfs horse schooling... semi-full time job (prob for minium wage though) and taking some high school courses online to boost grade 11 marks and get what I missed the first time due to seemingly endless sickness...

5 years: Finished high school, taking a business management course in collage, keeping up showing my own horse and my gfs horse when I can, building towards getting a couple more horses, possibly showing for others depending on the demands of my collage courses...

10 years: running a medium scale horse boarding/show/small breeding barn, competing in at least level 4 dressage if not higher, and married- with all hope that it is to my current sweetheart...
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #29
HomeDepot

1 year: In law school. Hopefully in DC living with my boyfriend. Finally working up the nerve to GM for my RPG group.
5 years: Working as a public defender. Hopefully making awesome costumes. Married?
10 years: Still a public defender. Still full of hope and faith in humanity. Buying a home. Still being an epic nerd. Maybe raising little epic nerds?

@Aspara, That is quite the burden to bear. Good luck
HomeDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2010, 01:06 AM   #30
Kelley
Devil of Details

"Dropping out", in the sense of "not going through high-school" isn't necessarily synonymous with "not going to college" and "working a low-paying job until you tear your eyes out".

I have a friend who started college at 16 - without finishing high-school (or getting a GED, I'm not sure if she plans to do that just to have it or what, though). She's majoring in engineering and doing just fine. Her brother also didn't go to a conventional high-school and right now he's on winter break from MIT.

I know kids who dropped out and are struggling. It's not for everyone. I know kids who graduated with great grades and are struggling, and those who are doing well. Nothing is a guarantee. Anything can go wrong.

And for all this talk, it's important to remember that college actually isn't for everyone and you're not a terrible person if you don't go. Going to a trade school or undergoing an apprenticeship isn't evil, those are real jobs (that make real, spendable money) just like any other.

A degree or a salary isn't happiness, and if you don't get yourself into debt, you can easily live on minimum wage. Happiness might not be what you expect or what you've been told it should look like.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote