Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1382 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #1876
mariacarlo

Zelda costume

Name of Commissioner: Zelda costume
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.miccostumes.com/The_Legen...umes_163c.html
Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire
costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): The Legend of Zelda Princess Zelda.
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://www.miccostumes.com/images/path-products/image-the_legend_of_zelda_princess_zelda_cosplay_costume .jpg/-width-300-height-404
Timeline (how long your order took to process): It took about a week to process the order.
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: The attitude is pretty good. But the quality is a little bad.
Final Grade: B+
mariacarlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #1877
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Name of Merchant: Bodyline
Items ordered: 1499yen Miku base wig, 2 999yen vances
Links to picture(s) of your items recieved: coming

Timeline (how long your order took to process): The order was placed through rakuten and took about one week to process even with some restocking issues. Shipping was within Japan.

Experience: My friend Mike was entering an animesong kareoke contest and didn't have anything to wear. My friend and I have Love is War Rin and Len costumes and we had an extra Miku Love is War lying around from a botched Comiket group last year. Rather than let the costume go to waste and the boy go nekkid, we decided to have him try on the Miku. As it turns out, Mike and I are exactly the same waist size!!! GRRRRR~

In any case, he needed a wig... one we could have him totally destroy at Yorustar (a nightclub event we all attend) without opening horrible holes in our pockets.

Bodyline could give us a base wig and two vances for about 3500 yen (US $50). With the next cheapest Miku coming in around the 6,000 mark ~ Bodyline it was!

We ordered the wig and vances in "emerald green" which came out more or less the turquoise color we wanted.

Pros: I'll be dammned. The wig actually looked pretty good. There were no obvious bare spots, it fit well and the vances were well enough made to stay in and look decent.

The color is pretty spot-on for Miku and it was all wearable without cutting and styling. A bit of wax on the bangs and our friend was ready to go.

The price is unbeatable in Japan. Most good Miku wigs cost well over the $80/90 mark. And while I wouldn't make the stretch to call this a "good" wig, I'd certainly consider it a useable one.

Cons: Not resistant to high-heat styling.

Prone to flyaways.

Vances are thin and the clips are covered by deliberately backcombed/tangled hair that eventually migrates into tangles at the top of the twintails themselves.

While the turquoise color it appears to be in person is spot-on, in some lighting and photographs, the wig turns blue.

Fibers are high sheen. They're extremely stretchy and plasticy, having a nylon-esque pull that none of the wigs I usually work with have ever had. Fibers break easily and warp even more easily, curling and frizzing whenever they catch or tangle. These warped fibers can not be repaired and need to, instead, be cut. They melt at pretty low heat, too. Even my hairdryer seemed to upset the wig a bit.

Combing out tangles actually warps the fibers, so it isn't really a wig you can use more than once or twice without destroying unless you're extremely careful with it.

We had to spend 3 hours detangling the twintails after the first gentle wear and ended up throwing them out because they were unsavable after the second.

That's 2,000 yen down the tube on the one hand... but 2 events it pulled us through on the other.

Final Comments: Not a "nice" wig, but a useable one. It looks good enough, but it won't stand up to styling or the test of time. If you tangle it, it's over :/ I would buy another Bodyline wig for a cheap, one-shot costume or encourage newbies to check out their shorter, easier to manage styles as a cheap alternative and slight step up from Halloween party wigs.

Final Grade: C+

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 03:56 AM   #1878
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #1879
Beachbead

Name of Commissioner: tactical-gears-zone
Website/C.com gallery: http://stores.ebay.com/tacticalgearszone
Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Stargate SG-1
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: none
Timeline (how long your order took to process): took about a month.
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments. I ordered a hat for my Stargate SG-1 costume, already made just needed to send to my way, after a two weeks i emailed them about the hat and they said it's on it's way, when i got the hat it was one size too big, they never bothered to ask for my head size or nothing, didn't give me any updates on when i should ge the hat. they did answer my emails but acted cold. no life in there words.
Final Grade: i give them a A- for being slow and not getting the right size for my head.
Beachbead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2011, 11:28 PM   #1880
mosaicera

Name of Commissioner: Hello Cosplay
Character commissioned and series: Fate Testarossa (Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha)
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: -- Haven't worn it yet. Reasons below. It should've looked like this though =__=;
Timeline: Ordered in mid December, received around December 27 (2010)

Pros:
~The time it took to make the outfit was fast ... (maybe too fast ...)

Cons: Ugh. Where do I start?
~Connection from the one-piece to the cape has a massive issue. When you try to move, it will unsnap on one side, and then you try to snap that side back in, the other side will unsnap.
~The third red line on Fate's outfit was supposed to have a golden connector. For the love of god, they used an elastic band.
~The second red line on the outfit had the proper "golden" piece on it, but it was cut so sloppily and sewed on crooked.
~I asked for two skirts; white & pink. The pink was made in the correct measurements, but was lacking some way to connect the two sides. For the white one they, quote on quote: "improved it in the original design,so that you can wear it a long time by adjusting the connector." Which was a total lie. I didn't ask for "improvement." I asked for same measurements as the pink, a velcro snap to connect the two sides, and the same design as the pink. Instead they made the white skirt like 2x my actual measurements, put a velcro snap on it, and said you could "adjust it" ... You can't ... How? AGH! -facepalm-
~The belt was nothing like the images, hell they made it so that it works with the white skirt ... Which means I can't wear it unless I totally change it
~There are countless other issues, but if I continue I'll end up writing a book

Comments:
~They didn't offer a single thing. I asked if they were willing to take it back and refund. Yeah, they are. Unfortunately, to send this piece of **** back would cost half the price of the costume. Not even worth my time. So in the end, I asked them to give me spare parts and the materials I need to fix up the damnable problems free of charge. The manager gladly said yes. So here I am, still waiting for my spare parts.

There are tons of other issues with the outfit, but if I any more I think I'll reach the stage of a heart attack.

Final Grade: F- (I'd give it a D-, but seriously the result was catastrophic. There was communication, yes, but that doesn't make up for all the things that are wrong with this outfit.)
mosaicera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 03:45 PM   #1881
firecloak

Taiwan from Hetalia at icosoo

COSPLAY REVIEW: icosoo

Name of Commissioner: icosoo

http://myworld.ebay.com/icosoo/

Character/Series: Taiwan from Hetalia (full costume)

Pictures: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...wan%20Cosplay/ (note that costume doesn't include the flower that I have in my hair)

Timeline: 18 days. She was quick in responding to my requests.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.:

Pros: The costume looks amazing! It fits well and looks just like the picture on her ebay item. It's completely made out of silk (or at least feels and looks like it is). I also requested that she include two crooks along the side of the top, and she did.

Cons: There are a few small threads sticking out, but it's only on the inside. I also felt that the top could've been a little smaller or tighter fitting, but some fanart depict this top as a loose-fitting one, so it could just be this character. It smells a little funny too.

Comments: The actual costume's pink color was a darker pink than in the picture, but that turned out to be a good thing because it's closer to the actual color. Very fast and accepts customizations to costumes. Excellent quality and very quick!

Final Grade: A

Last edited by firecloak : 01-19-2011 at 07:35 PM.
firecloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #1882
Purfect*Rave
Bitchie~★♥

This is very late, but my review on cosplaywig;

Name of Merchant cosplaywig
Website/C.com gallery: http://myworld.ebay.com/cosplaywig/
Items Ordered Ciel wig from Kuroshitsuji
Links to picture(s) of your items recieved In my gallery
Timeline (how long your order took to process) Ordered around Dec. 3, Recieved around Christmas.
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.
Pros: The wig is extremely high quality and an amazing color, it was shipped rather fast, all in all, it was a pleasant transaction.
Cons: The color is a bit off from the picture, but it worked better for the character.
Comments: I'll definetly use them again! I'd heard a lot of great reviews, and I'm glad the wig hit a price I could buy it for so I could work with them myself.
Final Grade: A+!
(But just a quick note, the exact wig I ordered isn't in their store anymore. It must have been a going out of stock sale, since it was $10 cheaper than what I'd seen before.)
Fanfiction.net~

List of 'Considerings': Minato from Persona 3, Near/L/Light from Death Note, Kadaj from FF:AC, Grell from Kuroshitsuji
Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji, Dance Party version (100% DONE)
'Veneziano' N. Italy - Hetalia: Axis Powers (0% DONE [Wig ordered])
Alois Trancy - Kuroshitsuji II, Default version (10% DONE)
Conventions - Momocon '11, AAD Spring + Fall, AWA 2011

Last edited by Purfect*Rave : 01-14-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Purfect*Rave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #1883
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Name of Merchant: AssistWig
Items ordered: A New Year's Lucky Bag containing two short wigs in "latte" and "ginger", two long wigs in silver-white and "sax blue", a medium length wig in silvery blonde, and a styling set with a comb, hard hair spray and oil spray.

Timeline (how long your order took to process): The order was placed directly and took about 4 days to process. Shipping was within Japan.

Experience: I purchased their 9,999 yen Lucky Bag on a whim, having never tried an Assist Wig before. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Pros: The lucky bag sale in particular represents a tremendous value: 5 brand new, heat-resistant wigs each with their own storage bag, drawstring "Assistwig"-branded carrying bag, two matching wig-caps and a hair-net. The bonus styling supplies were also quite nice. In all, I recieved over 30,000 yen worth of wigs for a little more than 10,000 after shipping.

All of the wigs arrived in pristine condition. The fibers are smooth, soft and thickly wefted. Long wigs resist tangles and comb out beautifully.

The colors are all muted and flatter my skin tone, including the bright purplish-pink wig that I doubted would.

The wigs are much roomier than most other Japanese wig companies and though there are no skin-tops, it's virtually impossible to lay any of the wig's top bare through styling.

Cons: Lucky Bags contain discontinued and closeout items, meaning falling in love with these particular colors or wanting them in another style of wig is an excersize in sorrow The "latte" in particular I really wish would stick around. But I suppose all good things must come to an end: even gorgeous wig colors.

The average retail price of Assist Wigs (about 5600 yen) is a little steep for a wig without a skintop or any special styling, but I would certainly purchase wigs used, on sale or in closeout without hesitation. They're very nice.

Final Comments: 5 gorgeous, brand new wigs and a handful of styling products for about 10,000 yen. I'll use two as-is, dye the third and sell the other two to make back what I can from the initial investment. That's a pretty stellar haul for a blind-packed grab bag! Beyond that, wigs are soft, thick and flattering.

Final Grade: A+

Unread 01-14-2011, 08:24 PM   #1884
Naffisnevercool

Name of Merchant: Mayurimoon/Southern Moon Creations
Website: http://www.etsy.com/shop/southernmoo...?ref=top_trail
Items Ordered: Sailor Uranus Henshin Wand

Links to picture(s) of your items recieved: http://s914.photobucket.com/albums/a...hocolateEater/

Timeline (how long your order took to process): Ordered Dec 17,2010 and received Jan 14, 2011

Pros: Reasonably priced and I like the colors used for the planet and handle. They came out very nicely colored and the paint job on them is smooth.

Cons: I bought the wand before the holidays so I waited until the 30th to email and ask about it's progress as the description on the wand said "Item is shipped the following business day upon receiving payment." After waiting over a week, I got no reply so I sent another email and no reply. I had no idea if and when I was going to get my purchase, so I was pleased when I saw the box on my doorstep this afternoon.

Before I even took the wand out of the bubble wrap, the star was bent back. There's space between the fins and ball of the planet and even some hot glue strings. The heart is pretty sloppy, the blue smaller hearts don't lay completey flat against the big pink heart, and it wobbles on the handle. I'm scared to handle the wand too much or else something will fall off.

I'm not going to be buying from this person again.

Final Grade: D
Naffisnevercool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #1885
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Name of Merchant: AssistWig
Items ordered: A New Year's Lucky Bag containing one short wigs in light brownish green, one medium wig in dark brown/natural black, a long wig in purplish dark pink/maroon, a brush and a wig stand for 7,777 yen. A closeout short wig in "manhattan orange" for an Apollo cosplay for 3,480 yen.

Timeline (how long your order took to process): The order was placed directly and took about 3 days to process. Shipping was within Japan.

Experience: Having been totally impressed with their 9,999 Lucky Bag, I picked up one of the 7,777 yen bags too. Also opted to grab my Apollo wig from Assist since the other bright colors suited me well and I had been worrying about comitting to bright orange ^^;;;

Pros: The smaller lucky bag is another good value: 3 brand new, heat-resistant wigs each with their own storage bag, drawstring "Assistwig"-branded carrying bag, two matching wig-caps and a hair-net. This set's bonuses were a nice large wig-styling brush bearing the Assist Wig brand and a new snap-together wig-stand. In all, I recieved about 17,000 yen worth of wigs for about 8,000 yen.

The wig I ordered for Apollo is very flattering, has a ton of body and needs nothing at all in the way of cutting in order to wear for the character. I'm quite pleased with it.

All of the wigs arrived in pristine condition. The fibers are smooth, soft and thickly wefted. Long wigs resist tangles and comb out beautifully.

The colors are all muted and flatter my face and skin tone.

Cons: Lucky Bags contain discontinued and closeout items, so if you like a color it's likely you'll not be able to get any more of it.

The colors of wigs are very difficult to judge from the website photos.

The average retail price of Assist Wigs (about 5600 yen) is a little steep for a wig without a skintop or any special styling, but I would certainly purchase wigs used, on sale or in closeout without hesitation. They're very nice.

While the longer styles have very roomy caps, the shorter styles are much more form-fitting. The shortest style, in particular, will likely not fit someone with an above-average sized head or with a lot of hair to pile under it.

Final Comments: 4 gorgeous, brand new wigs and a handful of styling products for a little more than 10,000 yen. Wigs are soft, thick and flattering. I'm not sure what I'll use the lucky bag wigs for, but I really love the short green wig and I'm determined to wear it for SOMETHING! Black/brown is always useable. Only the purplish-pink will probably need to be sold.

Final Grade: A+

Unread 01-15-2011, 03:18 AM   #1886
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #1887
Starflux
Shadow MyPartner In Crime

Name of Commissioner: Supa Anime
Website/C.com gallery: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Supa-Anime
Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Rika Furude school uniform from Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Cosplay-Higura...em33614f 4742 (it's pretty much how it looks)
Timeline (how long your order took to process): Ordered around December 17 2010, recieved around January 14 2011 (they did say it would take 1-2 weeks to make and another week to ship)

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments. Well, didn't hear anything about the costume during its making progress, I sent off the measurements and didnt hear anything back so was a bit worried that i had been conned. However it has arrived (thankfully) and it fits perfectly! the fabric is good quality also. However there are what seems to be yellow pen lines on the shirt, i think this is maybe from where they were making it (when measuring it all out etc.) but thankfully they're on the inside and so not too noticable when wearing it. The costume does smell a bit like smoke but its nothing that fabreeze can't handle haha.
Final Grade: B, some info on how the production was going would have been nice.

Cosplayed/planned cosplay as:

Yuna from Final Fantasy X-2 - (Completed)
Rika Furude - Higurashi no naku koro ni (Bought)
Buneary - Pokemon Diamond + Pearl (completed)
Oshawott - Pokemon Black + White (completed)
Toph - Avatar Legend Of Aang (0%)
Adult Malon - Ocarina of Time (10%)
Windrunner - DotA2 (0%)

Its thanks to Hetalia that I now know a lot more in Geography and History....and I didn't even take Geography
Starflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #1888
Shinigamia

Name of Merchant: Arda-Wigs
Item purchased: Le Tigre Long, x1 Teal
Links to picture(s) of your received item: N/A, apologies.
Timeline (how long your order took to process): It was ordered around Janurary 8 and got here around Jan. 13, so only 5 days between clicking the checkout button and the wig arriving on my doorstep. Nice.
Describe your Experience:
Pros: Like other reviewers of this site have said, the wig has a LOT of hair. Pretty smooth and soft, too. Its lushness and thickness makes it really nice (or really annoying, when combing out the tangles) to work with. The shipping was also extremely fast in my opinion, which was nice. I also really liked how on their website they explained a lot about the different types of wigs and fibers. So they get a great grade in terms of quality and speed.

Cons: The color was somewhat lighter/more faded than in the picture; picture was this: http://kingdom-arts.org/arda-wigs/le...011%20teal.jpg and the color was more like this: http://thumbnail.image.rakuten.co.jp...mg56957811.jpg (though a little more blue). Certainly the color was not this (another Teal colored wig picture): http://kingdom-arts.org/arda-wigs/fe...011%20teal.jpg. However, the color is definitely still changeable (I've been sharpie dying it over the past few days) though it's annoying. It's been shedding somewhat during the dying process, but the thickness of the wig covers that factor quite nicely.

Conclusion: Quick shipping, really nice lush and long wig for a reasonable price, though the color was somewhat off.
Final Grade: A-
Jack Vessalius(Pandora Hearts) at Anime Boston 2012, 2013
Roy Mustang, formal (Fullmetal Alchemist) for Otakon 2012, Anime Boston 2013
Shinigamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 01:26 AM   #1889
DeadlySerenade
is in the Borderlands

Name of Commissioner: CosplayMandy

Website/C.com gallery: http://photobucket.com/cosplaymandy

Character commissioned and series/video game: Mad Moxxi from Borderlands (Full Costume)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://teisama.deviantart.com/art/AF...ecai-178675594

Timeline: March 2010 - June 2010

Pros - None. She was a fast responder, I guess.

Cons - Hoo boy.

For starters, the costume barely arrived in time for the con. I was biting my nails waiting till maybe the week before the con, and when it showed up?

It had shipped from <i>China.</i>

Odd how a commissioner in California can ship things from China.

It didn't help that I was pressuring her to overnight the costume to me, and I get an email in the morning stating "I shipped it a few hours ago and it should be there tomorrow."

It showed up THAT SAME DAY. FROM CHINA.

I smell a scam.

The costume didn't fit properly. The jacket didn't sit right, the belts were all wrong, I had to replace the hat, gloves, and one of the stockings.

If I had wanted a cheap piece of crap made by an underpaid Chinese seamstress, I would've gone to one. CosplayMandy is a scammer who outsources her work to Chinese cosplay makers and pockets the difference. She probably couldn't sew her own costume if her life depended on it.

Final Grade: F

Name of Commissioner: CosplayMandy

Website/C.com gallery: http://photobucket.com/cosplaymandy

Character commissioned and series/video game: Lilith from Borderlands (Full Costume)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: None. I can't wear it.

Timeline: March 2010 - September 2010

Pros - None.

Cons - The costume showed up three days AFTER the con despite her insistance that it would be there in time (on MULTIPLE occasions she told me this.) When I got it, pretty much none of it fit correctly. Gloves, tanktop, jacket, and vest were all too big, the jeans were made out of VINYL, and half of it was the wrong color. At this point I told her I was on to her scam, tried to reason and get at least part of my money back, and was told I was making false accusations. So yeah, I decided to cut my losses and bring it here.

Final Grade: F
Xian Mei [Dead Island]
DeadlySerenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 02:45 AM   #1890
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Name of Merchant: Coscolle
Items ordered: A Mokou costume set (blouse, pants, suspenders, 6 hair ribbons and 1 head ribbon)

Timeline (how long your order took to process): 2 days

Experience: I ended up with a wig perfect for the character in a Lucky Bag and in order to keep it a "cheap costume" looked at just about every single Mokou costume available on the internet for a combination of low price and accuracy O-o Coscolle's offering had the sleeves I wanted and all of the pieces for what I thought was a very good price (12,800 yen).

Pros: The package was shipped the day after I ordered it (the first business day after my order) in spite of my not having actually paid for it yet ^^;;; I panicked and ran to the bank today to put the transfer through, just in case my not having paid might cause troubles with coscolle. Sure enough, the package arrived not 15 minutes after I sent the bank transfer paying for it. That's FAST!

The costume I recieved looks just like the one on the site. All of the pieces are included and the fabrics are the color and sheen they were represented to be. The "M" size, as I suspected, is actually a "one size fits all" sort of M and fits my size-L butt just fine.

Cons: The costume is still a cheap Chinese factory costume. The wards are printed onto the fabric in white that shows up slightly pink with the red fabric underneath and stick to one another when folded. I imagine with a few washes or tight folds, they will begin to chip off. The material is very thin, unlined and the shirt is see-through. The ribbons are printed the same way the pants are and again, the white looks a little pink. They also don't have any snaps or ties built in... rather someone has stuck regular bobbypins on the sides of each in a rather hilarious way of saying "do it your goddamnned self" :P

All of these things I more or less expected and don't have a problem with but might be annoying to someone who hasn't worked with cheaper pre-made costumes before.

The sleeves and shirt length are a little short for me.

There was a 500 yen "wrapping fee" that can not be waved. This means your package, even if it's for you, comes in a gift box with ghetto wrapping paper and a gift tag. It's just another sneaky backdoor way of charging a shipping and handling fee while still getting Rakuten to list their items first in the "shipping included" search category. Just assume that all costumes are 500 yen more expensive than their posted price.

Final Comments: It looks nice. It's what I ordered. It fits. And it arrived as quickly as one could possibly hope for. Very highly recommended for budget costumes.

Final Grade: A

Last edited by kiratsukai : 01-18-2011 at 03:00 AM.