Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 01-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #16
sam vimes
A real live wire

Jamie Delano and Garth Ennis would be rolling in their graves, were they dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2011, 02:51 AM   #17
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Do you know how many jackasses stomped out of 'Pans Labyrinth' because they didn't 'pay to read'? (The film is in Spanish for those who haven't seen it) My mother actually liked that movie so much when I told her about the subtitles bugging some of our fellow patrons she looked at me puzzled and said "Wait..there where subtitles?" and actually argued with me about it xD She got SO into the movie she didn't even realize that she was reading subtitles!
There was the issue that the ads for the movie were misleading. Many thought it was going to be a family-friendly fantasy movie. Many parents had to take their children out of the theater because of the violence.
Unread 01-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #18
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
There was the issue that the ads for the movie were misleading. Many thought it was going to be a family-friendly fantasy movie. Many parents had to take their children out of the theater because of the violence.
That's what rating systems are for >.>
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 02:03 PM   #19
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brsis View Post
That's what rating systems are for >.>
Too true. I don't understand why so many parents apparently ignore ratings, or, if they're really concerned about "family friendly" fare, don't take 45 seconds to do some research. Pick up the paper and read a review. Hop on the internet. Is the movie based on something else? Find out about it. Like when the Bridge to Terabithia movie came out, and people were like OH MY GOD IT'S SO TRAUMATIC WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED. a) I read that book for school in first grade; it's sad, but I got over it. b) Since it's based on a frigging classic, award-winning piece of young adult literature, all anyone had to do was look up a plot summary on Wikipedia before they brought their 4-year-olds into the theater.

People act like it's really frigging hard to "protect" their kids from bad influences in the media, when all it really takes is a little diligence.

Sorry, off-topic.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #20
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

No man, that's totally true. Off topic or not, its a good discussion to have

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #21
emmisu
King of Toast

((Edit: Please keep in mind all generalizations are on a most cases I have seen basis. Like obviously they're not 100%, unbiased, perfect facts. I just don't want to offend people by saying comics aren't deep or something, cause I like both. This is just my two-cents on the movie adaptation matter.))

I think a lot of it has to do with general story differences between eastern and western concepts.

In most american comics, we tend to focus on a brief history, and lots of macho-man action in our most iconic titles. The character is developed, we can add and subtract, we can make the movie mostly action with little development or vice versa, and it still works. Everything can be an installment, because there is rarely a linear storyline that has to be followed and told for the movie to be made. We can take a section of Superman's adventures, and it's a movie, and that -can- be it.
Whether you decide to chronicle superman's lost origins, study his inner angst, or just bring out the big guns and have a brawl-movie, it will work, and people will like it.

To convert most anime/manga into a movie, you have a short time to do a linear story. In most cases, you have to rely heavily on both action and character development. And that's difficult, to show appropriate levels of both without the movie being several hours long or dragging. And to have the movie, usually you -need- to have the full linear line of action or it feels incomplete.
Sometimes those character drama bits can be daunting to directors, especially in america where we want everything to be more more more, faster faster faster. Something like Kimi ni Todoke would kill our audiences and hemorrhage money because it requires a delicate and specific touch. You really can't choose between action and drama here.

Case in point: The Avatar/Airbender movie:
Yes, it's a western animation, but it has a lot of elements that are common through anime, a definitive style, characters with all five fingers, a linear plot, action, tons of character development and drama.
Why this didn't work in the movie: Almost all of the character development was put aside for action. A single movie, even 2 hours long couldn't contain all of the slow, awkward moments that had to be there in order for the story to work. The directors chose action over character drama and it failed. but it wouldn't have been successful if they had chosen only drama either. It still would have sucked, because the story requires both elements to be whole.

tl;dr:
Superheroes can choose between action and drama. Anime can't.

Plans:
Cerise Hood (EAH)

Last edited by emmisu : 01-22-2011 at 03:58 PM.
emmisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #22
Cadmium Polyphony
Hiro Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Too true. I don't understand why so many parents apparently ignore ratings, or, if they're really concerned about "family friendly" fare, don't take 45 seconds to do some research. Pick up the paper and read a review. Hop on the internet. Is the movie based on something else? Find out about it. Like when the Bridge to Terabithia movie came out, and people were like OH MY GOD IT'S SO TRAUMATIC WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED. a) I read that book for school in first grade; it's sad, but I got over it. b) Since it's based on a frigging classic, award-winning piece of young adult literature, all anyone had to do was look up a plot summary on Wikipedia before they brought their 4-year-olds into the theater.

People act like it's really frigging hard to "protect" their kids from bad influences in the media, when all it really takes is a little diligence.

Sorry, off-topic.
I remember when children's entertainment had moral value; and not 'good family value' type shit, but the kind of shit that would point out that the old guy down the street who's house always seems to smell like gingerbread, might just be warming up his oven in the off chance you are stupid enough to go into his house without an adult, and cook you.

Life isn't all beer and skittles, and if kids don't learn that early enough, they'll grow into modern Americans.

We need to put a stop to that.

I hate cute.

Podcast Channel
Cadmium Polyphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #23
nannyogg
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Cadmium View Post
I remember when children's entertainment had moral value; and not 'good family value' type shit, but the kind of shit that would point out that the old guy down the street who's house always seems to smell like gingerbread, might just be warming up his oven in the off chance you are stupid enough to go into his house without an adult, and cook you.
They need more movies like that. What Disney did to The Little Mermaid and the Hunchback of Notre Dame was unconscionable.
nannyogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #24
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Cadmium View Post
Life isn't all beer and skittles, and if kids don't learn that early enough, they'll grow into modern Americans.
As I was waiting in line to go to the movies so many weeks, I realized that the obviously 13~14 years old in the line were all going to see Jackass 3D.

Is that good?
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2011, 02:43 AM   #25
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmisu View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with general story differences between eastern and western concepts.

tl;dr:
Superheroes can choose between action and drama. Anime can't.
I think you make some excellent points and I agree with a lot of what you said - I'd just angle it away from East/West and rather into the different ways stories can be constructed.

Movies are short. REALLY SHORT. The maximum amount of time you can comfortably show in a two hour movie is maybe ten days, and that's pushing it - many movies make do very comfortably with two or three. In a three hour movie maybe you get two weeks and some scratch. If you need to show a longer time than that, you need to time fugue it - tell your audience you've skipped ahead. You do that too many times and you've screwed over not only your pacing, but your narrative and your audience's patience. The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe is completely linear and takes place almost entirely within the span of about five days and works REALLY WELL as a film because you can put almost everything in it. Death Note is completely linear and when you chop off the (*cough*unnecessary) second half becomes a story that CAN be condensed into what at least seems to be about five days of actual ACTION, and thus also worked really well as a film.

The East/West divide comes in when most Western writers are thinking 'MOVIE ADAPTATION' or at least 'mass readership', and writing a short, sweet, linear novel, and most Eastern writers are thinking 'ANIME/DRAMA ADAPTATION' and, more often than not, are writing a serial than runs one a week/month/whenever for AGES. In serials, you have the space (And the inclination) to pack in the drama, the action, the character development etcetera which just isn't there in a film.

Superhero narratives are actually incredibly long and complicated serials. They are the most EPICLY HUGE of serials, so that most manga/anime (Seriously, only Doraemon, Astro Boy and Sazae-san - okay, maybe GeGeGe no Kitaro - are making a dent on the kind of lengths that some of these guys are racking up) pale in comparison. The difference is, Western audiences know this story. We know Batman. You don't need to develop his character much at all. We know the Batman villains. You don't need to go into their motivations. You only need to have one, maybe two tops out of a whole CATALOGUE of bad guys to make a Batman movie because there's no way in hell you're getting the ten or so villains that everyone knows into one movie, and that's just the famous ones, and then what do you do about the cross-over stuff, and Arkham, and that one time he dies, and - you get the picture. The problem with 90% of long serials into movies, and this includes manga/anime, is that the audience doesn't already know the story. A lot of superhero movies are still rubbish because they try to include too much, put in too many characters, they try to work massive complicated story lines around their tiny little bit of movie space and budget (I'm looking at YOU, X-MEN) because in reality, there are only maybe three or four superheroes that we know well enough to make an 'instalment' movie really work. Out of my favourite comic book movies, nearly all of them come from series that were painfully short in comparison. Series that were published in one trade paperback - sometimes not even a thick one.

Also: They hired M.Night Shyamalan, of course The Last Airbender was going to be a crap movie >.> Man can't shoot a fight scene to save his life.
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2011, 11:07 PM   #26
sephygoth
Hater lover

Why is it bad? Dude, they'r trying to be real, where the original point was to be the opposite: extreme, baddass,over the top....
movies DULL the original intent, and the endless eye candy? its all DONE for the viewer.
Remaking spiderman....again....will even turn off people that give no shit for superheroes to begin with and will finally roll their eyes at the lack of the Toby.

Give Nostalgia critic a look. Kudos to the classics.
sephygoth is offline   Reply With Quote