Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #376
LeekHime
Leek Spin!

Thank you to everyone for all your info and help. I'm not necessarily set on needing a camera with 14mp. It's just that right now I have a 3-4 yr. old 8.1 mp Sony Cyber shot it is kinda slow and it isn't giving me the clear pictures I want to capture all the detail in my cosplay pics. I just figured that maybe more mega pixels would give me that clear shot I want.

I would like an ok amount of zoom, but not anything huge. Camera size is not a big thing for me. I am fine with automatic modes in the beginning, but would love to learn the more technical side of it. I never use video. Budget would probably max out at $500.

Unread 02-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #377
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeekHime View Post
Thank you to everyone for all your info and help. I'm not necessarily set on needing a camera with 14mp. It's just that right now I have a 3-4 yr. old 8.1 mp Sony Cyber shot it is kinda slow and it isn't giving me the clear pictures I want to capture all the detail in my cosplay pics. I just figured that maybe more mega pixels would give me that clear shot I want.
Probably there is something else contributing to this, ie. camera shake or shutter speed not high enough, the lens being of poor quality, and so on. The difference you will get in detail between an 8MP camera and a 14MP camera, especially when viewed on a computer screen or photo frame (typically 2MP or less in terms of resolution) is not that significant.

You said your sister has a DSLR, ask her to take a look at your current camera, how it's set up and how you are using it, with you. It could be any number of simple things, but it's hard to say without knowing more.

If you still decide you need a new camera and are willing to spend $500, for $400 you can get a Panasonic LX5, the update for the LX3 which is one of the best compacts out there.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...7192985&sr=8-1

Last edited by Access : 02-08-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Access is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 02:50 AM   #378
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

If I had up to $500 to spend on a compact right now, I'd take the Samsung EX1/TL500 (same camera, different names in Europe and America, just like the Rebels, sometime I'd like explanations on this kind of nonsense).
It does not zoom much (only 24-72 mm equivalent ; 24mm is very wide, you could appreciate that) but it has a wide aperture on the whole range (1.8-2.4), which means it is built for low light conditions - and thus perfect for cons. With the wide aperture, you don't have to push ISO as high as on other cameras, which means you'll get cleaner, more contrasted images.
It is an "expert" camera (like most P&S in this price range), which means you can have total control of the camera if you need to do something specific with it (but there still are automatic modes, don't worry). It's a bit bigger than your average P&S, but still fits in a (large) pocket.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #379
LeekHime
Leek Spin!

@Ashurachan- Thank you so much. I looked at it and I think it's exactly what I'm looking for, perfect for cons, mini photoshoots and other random things i wanna take pics of.

Thank you to everyone for your help!!!
Unread 02-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #380
gothicadam
Who me?

If your looking at a point and shoot one i'd suggest a Canon Power shot s130 DSLR wise i like the Canon Rebel Series.
Xenmas Kingdon Hearts 100% Completed

My Facebook http://www.facebook.com/gothicadam

For my cosplay photos go to http://picasaweb.google.com/116003591765305040870
[/size]
gothicadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #381
LeekHime
Leek Spin!

Well actually I have been looking at a different camera for a long time and was kinda wondering what other people would think about it. I am looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2. I really think I'm in love with this camera
Unread 02-13-2011, 11:16 AM   #382
Rander

I have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 with the 17 mm f/1.7 and I love it. They are pretty similar cameras and the reason I chose it over the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 is I already have a Canon DSLR and I wanted something more compact.The GF1 is not really compact, but it's a lot easier to carry around and it'll fit in a big pocket. With the 17 mm lens I can shoot in pretty low light situations with out a flash. You can also shoot RAW, so if you mess up the white balance or under/over expose a little it would be easy to fix in Photoshop, Picasa, etc.

The GF1 is ridiculously overpriced now since the GF2 is coming out soon. One of the differences is the GF2 may come with a 14 mm f/2.8 lens so it is a little "slower". I have not tested the 14 mm lens so I don't know how it compares.

From what I read the performance is similar between the two, so you should be able to get great pictures with either model.

flickr DeviantART

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."- William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925)

Last edited by Rander : 02-13-2011 at 11:18 AM.
Rander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 01:27 AM   #383
Sugar S

It depents what you are trying to do. i would go for Sony digital cameras. I've come across many cameras already and Sony or Nikon is great.
Sugar S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #384
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeekHime View Post
Well actually I have been looking at a different camera for a long time and was kinda wondering what other people would think about it. I am looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2. I really think I'm in love with this camera
Yeah they are good cameras / solutions, if you are happy with the size and want something with the same basic options of a DSLR (interchangeable lens, flash hot-shoe, etc.) it's a good setup to go with. They're starting to catch on, I'm seeing more and more people actually using them irl.
Access is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 12:19 AM   #385
DavinDaLilAzn

In reference to one of the other threads, Am I the only one using a point and shoot camera for photography?, I'm currently taking pictures at all the Cons I go to with my Canon PowerShot SD 630. It's great for general pictures that I can upload to Facebook, Flickr, DeviantArt, etc... However, I miss shooting w/ a SLR and since carrying around 35mm flim's archaic I think it's about time I decide to purchase a D-SLR.

I know which camera I want, but I'm having trouble justifying why I should purchase it. I want to purchase the Canon 60D (~$1150), but the T3i (coming out mid-March, ~$900) is basically the same camera, but in a Rebel format and more affordable. The $250 saved w/ the T3i could be used on a second lense or a Speedlite 430EX II (yes, I know there's other flashes that're a lot more affordable and just as good or better, but I like to stick w/ all Canon when I buy Canon). I miss doing photoshoots, but it's been a looooooong time (5+ years) since I've been behind a camera seriously, but it's like riding a bike.

So basically, is it really worth it to invest in a new d-slr? I don't have a real portfolio, but here're some general pics taken w/ my p&s and some old pics taken w/ my 35mm slr to give you an idea of my abilities.

Thank you in advance for your help!

MegaCon 2013
Dragon*Con 2013
DavinDaLilAzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 12:32 AM   #386
roflwaffles
The Waffles are ROFLing!

@DavinDaLilAzn is there a specific set of features that you are looking for from the 60D or T3i? If not, and your looking to save cash I would suggesting looking into a used body. Like an old 50D, and use the money you save from that and buy some nice glass.
roflwaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 12:48 AM   #387
DavinDaLilAzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffles View Post
@DavinDaLilAzn is there a specific set of features that you are looking for from the 60D or T3i? If not, and your looking to save cash I would suggesting looking into a used body. Like an old 50D, and use the money you save from that and buy some nice glass.
I like the 60D (vs 50D) since it can do video as well. I'm not looking into making epic movies or anything, but it'd be nice to have when I go to an instructional panel or something and just switch to video mode and record what they're talking about. Also, the 60D's battery (~1000 shots) is twice that of the T3i (~450 shots). Even tho the T3i is lighter and feels a bit flimsier to me, if I attached a battery grip to make it weight the same/more than a 60D, it'd only be able to shoot the same amt as a 60D w/ twice the batteries. >.< Also, I've heard that Canon's even numbered cameras are usually better... lol

MegaCon 2013
Dragon*Con 2013
DavinDaLilAzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 03:42 AM   #388
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

If you can afford the 60D, take it. The viewfinder is brighter (prism vs mirror), the upper screen is very useful, and with all the dedicated buttons you rarely have to open menus to change settings.
Last year I hesitated between the 550D/T2i and the 50D, I chose the 50D because I wanted better controls more than video. Never regretted it.
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #389
Hcoregamer00
Photographer/Manga Fan

I bought the 60D recently since the body only price was around $888, which is a real steal for me. The 60D has at least 2 stops of ISO improvement over my Canon Rebel XSi (450D). I find that the 60D has as much noise at ISO 3200 as the XSi at ISO 800, which is INSANE. In my observation, the battery life is around 1,400 shots for me, which is very impressive.

The brighter pentaprism, video, better grip, superior build quality, top LCD, flip screen, great controls, and amazing autofocus makes it one heck of a great camera.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Wondercon Anaheim, FanimeCon, Ninja Con, Anime Expo.
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 11:50 PM   #390
Kesra
Smooch a Pheonix Today!

I'm getting a new camera for my birthday. What kind? Don't know yet. I'm setting a budget of about $500 (Absolutely no more than $600)

My current camera is broken. I can't use the little digital screen thing (oh, poop) because the crystals are broken. I spent about $250 on it and it was a Kodak. It was an excellent camera for family pictures or casual pictures.

My needs have changed since buying that camera though (Like six years ago). Here's what I need it to be able to do:

-Cosplay photography of course. I'm not going to try to do it to a degree where I'd get paid for it but being able to take great pictures of my friend and myself in our costumes would be awesome.
-Macro. I sell things online so I need to take -amazing- product pictures with it.
-Video (it would be awesome. Not required I suppose but I'd really like it)
-Sturdy. I'd like to be able to take it with me without having to worry about it being fragile. I don't intend to throw it off a bridge but I don't want dropping it once or twice to kill it.

No preference in regards to brands. My old camera was Kodak.

Help please?

Remaking Season 3 Azula.

Done/Working On/Pattern/Not started

Pants Tunic Dickie Surcoat Armor Boots Belt Wig
Check out my new facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/kesracosplay
Kesra is offline   Reply With Quote