Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #16
Anagik
Cosplay Nublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kama View Post
It is really hard to get true black from anything. The best you can do is probably triple the amount of black dye, dye it for as long as it needs (probably longer than it suggests) and at a high temperature, using the stove top method.

It still probably won't get true black. But it will be faster and better than using a sharpie. If all else fails, get sprayable fabric paint and put a thin layer of black over your dye job. Better at least to make it a dark color.

Will do! Thanks SO much!
Anagik is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
Omitaali

Im dying a white denim into red for Kairis Valor form. Ive never dyed anything before, so any tips? Should I cut out my pattern first then dye the pieces, or do it as a whole piece?

Ref Pic
Omitaali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 04:17 AM   #18
RollEXE

I just bought 2m of fabric in the closest colour I could get to a earthy yellow. It's an ecru brown right now ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sepia_(color) look at the shades on the bottom), a bit darker than what I want. I was wondering if I could bring some yellow into it while avoiding it going any darker than it already is.
It's stretch drill, from memory the spandex/stretch fabric isn't a big amount.

Is this possible? If it is, what sort of dye/brand/colour should I use, and how much?
RollEXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #19
Pellegri
Cosplay Newbie

I see that's difficult to get something to be true black, but what if I try to dye this navy shirt black (http://www.victoriassecret.com/ss/Sa...&search=true)? Like most people here, I've never dyed anything before, so any advice would be a great help!
Pellegri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 11:04 PM   #20
RaaBee
Dracula called...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellegri View Post
I see that's difficult to get something to be true black, but what if I try to dye this navy shirt black (http://www.victoriassecret.com/ss/Sa...&search=true)? Like most people here, I've never dyed anything before, so any advice would be a great help!
You could dye it with any union dyes i.e. Rit or dylon, which are two available in most fabric stores. I personally like dylon since it doesn't require boiling water, but yeah natural cellulose fibers are relatively simple to dye.
RaaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #21
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Wink

Hey again Okay, I just struck the best deal of a lifetime, but I've got 3 other questions regarding this. Alright, me and my mom were going to garage sales all day today and I came across a roll of what it seems to be like fake leather or pleather. I ask one of the ladies that was running the sale, "is this for sewing?" she said "Yes, and it's real leather". When she said that, I was like I got the thing for $5. Talk about awsome

So I've been wondering about a couple of things and of course I know I've got some dark brown, tan, and black pleather that I use for any armor-like aspects of a costume. I'm asking:

1. Since I've got this real leather material in my hands, for both this and my pleather, is it a good idea to dye them?

2. How do I dye them and/or what fabric dye will work for real leather and fake pleather?

3. Is there such thing as gold, silver, copper, bronze, etc. colored fabric dye? If not, then how do I get it to be gold, silver, copper, bronze, etc. colored?

My reason is because I'm strongly thinking about doing Roman Empire from Hetalia Axis Powers and the fake pleather and the real leather that I got today would work great. All I would have to do is turn it into gold colored and I have gold acrylic paints just in case there is no such fabric dye color. This will totally help me, thanks

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #22
GroundControl
Tash-la

I`m also a first-timer looking to dye some fabric. I have a royal blue coat that is 65% polyester and 35% cotton and I am looking to dye it a charcoal grey (reference colour here: http://www.globaltotaloffice.com/tex...rcoal-Grey.jpg. If it comes out a dark blue-ish grey, then that is fine as well.

I was wondering how to go about doing this--what colours of dye are needed (is there a grey dye or should I work with black and other colours).

Last edited by GroundControl : 05-02-2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: broken link
GroundControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #23
Krarktel

I happen to have a light brown coat with the same fabric material as the one post above me, 65% polyester and 35% cotton, and I'm trying to get it as black as I can get it for lavi bookman's D. Gray man coat and I was wondering if it would be possible to use water based acrylic paint to get it to that color. I found the following link for fur dying and wanted to know if it is possible to use on a coat instead of fur.

http://www.furnation.com/big_bad_wolf/coloring.htm
Krarktel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #24
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Wink

Hey everyone! Just a friendly FYI. If you need to do some detail on a particular cosplay, then look up "Paint Markers". I found some when I was finding some geso for my art and they were right next to the canvases at one of my local Wal Marts. If you tried paint markers, please post the results, both good and bad results so we know what to look out for if some of us decides to use them

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
Unread 06-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #25
MalteseLizzie

I have a cotton turquoise dress that I'm considering dying. Would it dye to purple nicely? If not, does anyone have any suggestions of what colours it could be dyed to?
MalteseLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #26
MalteseLizzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krarktel View Post
I happen to have a light brown coat with the same fabric material as the one post above me, 65% polyester and 35% cotton, and I'm trying to get it as black as I can get it for lavi bookman's D. Gray man coat and I was wondering if it would be possible to use water based acrylic paint to get it to that color. I found the following link for fur dying and wanted to know if it is possible to use on a coat instead of fur.

http://www.furnation.com/big_bad_wolf/coloring.htm
I don't know about fur, but as for acrylic, it depends on what you want the finished texture to be like. I find that acrylic tends to make the fabric stiff and less flexible. This isn't so bad on cotton, but on velvet it looks and feels atrocious:all the silky smoothness of the fabric is replaced by little hard spikes.
MalteseLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #27
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Wink

Hi there! Long time no talk! Okay I'm getting ready to do my Gunner Yuna from FFX-2 cosplay (shown here):

http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy...unaGunner.jpeg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Yuna_FFX-2.png

As you can see, her half skirt as two different blues, a light blue and a medium blue. I found a gorgous blue fabric dye that would work perfectly for the half skirt (shown here):

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Rit-Dye-Liquid-8-Ounces---Evening-Blue-Dye---Adhesives_stcVVproductId79880868VVcatId540018VVvie wprod.htm

When I got to my local Hancock fabrics today and once I found the Rit Dye, they didn't have the Evening Blue color that I wanted whatsoever All they had was Navy blue, which was WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too dark, and Royal blue, which is decent, but I'm still nervous

Here's the fabric I'm going to use for the half skirt:

Light Blue (Light Perywinkle) color.JPG

and here's the Rit Dye fabric dye:

Rit Dye- Royal Blue.JPG

Just from looking at both the fabric color and the dye color, do you think that I'll be okay?

OR

If anyone has had this similar color fabric and used Royal blue fabric dye on this color fabric, what results did you come up with?

Any help will be fantastic, thanks so much

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
Unread 09-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #28
tereshkova2001

This may be too late, but for the record:
Leather is not like fabric; you shouldn't use fabric dyes on it. Use leather dyes instead, which you can get at Tandy Leather Supply. Leather dye goes on with a brush or sponge; soaking leather in water is a bad idea and can heavily damage it.
Pleather might take leather dye and will definitely take thin layers of paint.

My favorite dye source is Dharma Trading Co.; www.dharmatrading.com. They have fiber reactive and acid dyes, all the necessary reagents, and a nearly-endless variety of white fabrics and clothes for dyeing. Their prices on silk are amazing. They've even got stretch fabrics in cotton with a tiny bit of spandex added that dye wonderfully. Dharma's website has lots and lots of tutorials and instructions. Even if you don't buy their dyes, check out their site for guidance.
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 06:30 AM   #29
char99char
Crazy for costumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAngel View Post
1. Since I've got this real leather material in my hands, for both this and my pleather, is it a good idea to dye them?

2. How do I dye them and/or what fabric dye will work for real leather and fake pleather?

3. Is there such thing as gold, silver, copper, bronze, etc. colored fabric dye? If not, then how do I get it to be gold, silver, copper, bronze, etc. colored?
There are different dyes for leather so look into those- though I say it can't hurt to try a sample with fabric dye.

There are no metallic dyes - but "rub n buff" works great on pleather.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #30
char99char
Crazy for costumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAngel View Post
Hi there! Long time no talk! Okay I'm getting ready to do my Gunner Yuna from FFX-2 cosplay (shown here):

http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy...unaGunner.jpeg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Yuna_FFX-2.png

When I got to my local Hancock fabrics today and once I found the Rit Dye, they didn't have the Evening Blue color that I wanted whatsoever All they had was Navy blue, which was WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too dark, and Royal blue, which is decent, but I'm still nervous
What you see on the fabric dye package is not necessarily what you will get. You can influence how dark or light it is by how much dye you use and how long you soak the fabric for. If the color is right, you can control how dark you make it.
char99char is offline   Reply With Quote