Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > AM²

Unread 02-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
MizuSenjutsu
Sleeping Bear

World Cosplay Summit Regionals At Am2

Grabbed this from their forums. Trip to Japan for the winning representative... That's pretty tempting.

ALL THE WORLD IS A STAGE AS THE NEST OF THE BEST COME TO COMPETE AT THE WORLD COSPLAY SUMMIT REGIONALS AT AM2

Winners Winning Trips to Japan to Represent the USA

LOS ANGELES, Calif. (February 16, 2011) – Have a sense of showmanship? A great personality? And an impressive crafting and performance creating ability? Come and participate or watch the best of the best as one pair will succeed in the US preliminaries, at this summer’s most anticipated FREE convention AM2, to move on and compete on the world stage in Japan on television! More info, rules and attendee registration can be found at www.am2con.org or via the World Cosplay Summit official Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/World-...22191194459337

Begun in 2003, the World Cosplay Summit was created, by TV Aichi and attracts over 15,000 fans to the finals in Japan, to promote international exchange through the Japanese youth culture of manga and anime. The championship is graded on the finish of the costume design and the teams performance on stage. Involving 15 different countries, previous year’s Grand Champions were teams from Italy (2005, 2010), Brazil (2006, 2008), France (2007) and Japan (2009).

AM2 representative Chase Wang states, “It’s all about pride and bragging rights as cosplayers will revel in the competition against the best of the best. We are honored to host the World Cosplay Summit at AM2. The U.S. has yet to win, let’s do it this year! Join us and have the time of your life this Summer!”

Follow us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/AM2Rep

Follow us on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/AM2rep

Follow the WCS US on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/WCSPrelimsUS

About AM2
Located in Anaheim, California – AM2, established in 2010, is a multi-day (3 days) 24 hour event with no general attendance/badge purchase requirement and is aspiring to be a key meeting place for fans that share a common interest in Asian music, Animation/Anime, and Comics/Manga. Nominal fees are charged for certain activities that attendees choose to participate in. AM2 will be held on July 1-3, 2011 at the Anaheim Convention Center in sunny Anaheim, California. More information can be found at www.am2con.org
MizuSenjutsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
iaShakezula

woohoo!!! I just saw my email about this as well.This is awesome.

Unfortunately I wont compete in this because it takes a lot time and effort to get a group going and work on the project at the same time. You need dedicated cosplayers in this project.

I think the costumer should be in the pro level and the presentation should be well thought of like a broadway show.

I have seen the World Cosplay Summit show and I have seen cosplay work here in the West Coast that are at their level or even more.But traveling to Japan with all your props and costume is a pretty big production by itself.

I think fantasy action anime video games is the best genre to do.The costumes has a lot of details in design and if you make it action ready ... man there are a lot of things you can do on stage to make the presentation amazing.

Anyway , whoever needs a hand I can help in the presentation part , audio and directing.

I guess AM2 is competing with AX price money of 10,000...
PMX

I will be cosplaying all Sports Genre anime this time around.

Kuroko no Basket game shorts
Ace of Diamond Seido Team shirt
Haikyuu game uniform and team warmer
Baby Steps Ei- chans tournament shirt

Last edited by iaShakezula : 02-16-2011 at 02:22 PM.
iaShakezula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
LelouchYamazaki
Prince in the Mountain

Here's the funny thing it doesn't always become the pro who wins, there are some beginners who have a high chance because they have some original ideas and they grow as time comes by which takes the world by storm.

I'm looking forward to seeing AM2 help add to participants the WCS and wonder where ppl will go AX or AM2, because as much as cash prizes will be wanted this will make people think.
LelouchYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
iaShakezula

I don't know how they will judge that but I would assume a good balance of craftmanship and performance.
I have seen really excellent craftmanship but their performance is lacking.
It makes me cringe .
I only started competing over a year ago but I have been watching the masquerade performances for a while. Everytime I watch a performance I cant help but critique it and see what can be done to improve it.

So I hope when that time comes that they judge these things basing on skills,creativity and performance.

As for me ,I am just a novice costumer cosplayer and I usually don't like to compete.I'd rather put a great show ,have fun and be recognized for it. Sometimes I want to get my acting buddies to join me and make a mini production.

So if I were to choose between the 2 , I would go and do the AM2 masquerade.

I know a group in Orange County who should compete in this.
PMX

I will be cosplaying all Sports Genre anime this time around.

Kuroko no Basket game shorts
Ace of Diamond Seido Team shirt
Haikyuu game uniform and team warmer
Baby Steps Ei- chans tournament shirt

Last edited by iaShakezula : 02-16-2011 at 05:21 PM.
iaShakezula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
Ahza_miracle

u just saw this... hooo fffff... i was really planning to the fanime for the wcs...ok this have good and bad things, good its more close, bad its no have to much time for make something diferent for the wcs in japan >.<... but well i going to the wcs <3 same we want to make something really good in the perfomer ^^

Last edited by Ahza_miracle : 02-16-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Ahza_miracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
LelouchYamazaki
Prince in the Mountain

heres how I see it, AX will be using their own staff to judge on masquerade so I'm sure there will be some bias in certain areas, but with WCS being people who want to win for there country you can expect a lot more strict and tough judges who won't even be nice to friends because they are just that professional.

the timing might be tough but you can imagine when cosplay groups and other people interested see this they will start working and even with Fanime will want to compete for the top.
Unread 02-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
Cosplay_Kitten
Pandora Hearts Cupcake

I'm looking forward to this event! I plan on competing with my friend and we plan to put our all into it. We were worried about the date of when it was but we were working around Fanime, knowing we have more time is great. We're definitely excited about the WCS prelim thats for sure ^_^
Cosplay_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
ninjagal6
when life gives you lemon

This is very exciting. Ever since I heard the wcs's USA reps on NPR in 5th grade, it has been my dream to enter. While I still consider myself a bit of a novice, how often do you get a chance like this? Prior to recent years prelims were on the east coast making it harder for us weasties to enter.
Really I plan in competing to fulfill my childhood dream and if something more comes out if it, great.
website
Deviantart
ninjagal6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LelouchYamazaki View Post
heres how I see it, AX will be using their own staff to judge on masquerade so I'm sure there will be some bias in certain areas.
I don't know about that. Last year WCS was at FanimeCon, and I knew practically all the judges, and maybe one out of the group was Fanime staff. The majority were cosplayers.

Who they pick this year for the judges remains TBD, but I don't think using staff from another con happening the same weekend would be the route WCS would go for. Both conventions will have their hands full with their own con to not really worry about what/how the other con is doing.
"This is your job. You want a clear conscience, go start a charity. But if you want your own photography business, and your cosplayer boss says you gotta go out there and take a photo-shoot, go out there, take it, come back to work, and say "DO YOU NEED ME TO DO IT AGAIN?!!"

Last edited by Eurobeat King : 02-16-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #10
Eveil
심바

Quote:
heres how I see it, AX will be using their own staff to judge on masquerade so I'm sure there will be some bias in certain areas
Whoops I have to step in a bit, sorry.
Our judges are just judges and are put on as staff to make things easier, but they are first and foremost judges that have experience in both craftsmanship and performance, biases are disincluded.
It would be greatly appreciated if assumptions based on not knowing the facts were kept not being said.
Our e-mail is always open too regarding questions, so there should be no need to making up rumors if there is something you truely believe to be amiss or confused about.

Thanks!
Unread 02-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #11
Simmaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveil View Post
Our judges are just judges and are put on as staff to make things easier, but they are first and foremost judges that have experience in both craftsmanship and performance, biases are disincluded.
It would be greatly appreciated if assumptions based on not knowing the facts were kept not being said.
Our e-mail is always open too regarding questions, so there should be no need to making up rumors if there is something you truely believe to be amiss or confused about.

Thanks!
lol ok.
Simmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #12
mlarad
~ Mlarad ~

It will be nice if they were to have different judges like other countries do:
2 previous representatives of the country, 2 international cosplayers from out of the country and 1 representative from Japan.

I believe that will be the fair way to judge it since the masquerades in the US are run differently and cosplayers here have a different way of seeing cosplay contests than they do in another countries.
Would like to see this happen, just saying...

mlarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 12:55 AM   #13
LelouchYamazaki
Prince in the Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveil View Post

Thanks!
will do, but as for the whole assumptions thing goes I know what I said

Last edited by LelouchYamazaki : 02-17-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Unread 02-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #14
Ashe
King of Chococro

Quote:
picked a fight with Eve
Oh sh*t son
Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 06:08 PM   #15
LelouchYamazaki
Prince in the Mountain

Lol I in no way am looking to start a fighting with anyone. All the jobs staffers especially in high positions are really tough and I respect that.