Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 80 votes, 4.95 average.
Unread 02-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
KlovisJTBD

Dragon Age 2

anyone else looking to take on Hawke? I know Holly Conrad over at Crabcat is doing lady hawke but all around hawke should be an easy cosplay.
KlovisJTBD is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
quiescent
quiess

I'm considering Aveline over a Hawke

work in progress --
  • Aveline Vallen (Lothering), Dragon Age II -- %95
    Lionheart (Kelsey Leigh), Marvel Universe -- 0%
    Barry, Gender Bend, Resident Evil - 0%
planned/hopeful con attendance--
  • CCEE, 2013
quiescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
Palaven
I like big boats.

If Holly Conrad is making Lady Hawke, then I'm already too intimidated to try to make one, haha.

I already have a Fenris costume in the works, actually. I'm also planning on making a Merril costume for a friend. Mage!Lady Hawke looks interesting, but I think two DAII costumes will be hard enough.

EDIT: I am now cosplaying Merril and friend is cosplaying Isabella. derp a derp.

@Quie] - Hi! Fancy seeing you here, haha.

Working On:
Sailor Moon ◈ Sailor Moon R ◈ 0%
Planned: Morrigan ◈ Darkstalkers
Sailor Mini Moon ◈ Sailor Moon R (for sister) | BB Hood ◈ Darkstalkers (for sister)
Conventions 2012: Taste of Animethon ◈ CCEE ◈ Animethon

[ Tumblr ] ◈ [ Deviantart ]

Last edited by Palaven : 03-29-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Palaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
quiescent
quiess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palaven View Post
If Holly Conrad is making Lady Hawke, then I'm already too intimidated to try to make one, haha.

I already have a Fenris costume in the works, actually. I'm also planning on making a Merril costume for a friend. Mage!Lady Hawke looks interesting, but I think two DAII costumes will be hard enough.

@Quie] - Hi! Fancy seeing you here, haha.
Oh la la! Any chance you might be going to Pure Spec again? My friend and I are fancying taking the trip up, and we both might be dressing for Dragon Age II!

You should considering coming again and hanging out with us for the day!

work in progress --
  • CCEE, 2013
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:58 AM   #5
Palaven
I like big boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiescent View Post
Oh la la! Any chance you might be going to Pure Spec again? My friend and I are fancying taking the trip up, and we both might be dressing for Dragon Age II!

You should considering coming again and hanging out with us for the day!
Oh, there is no way I'm missing PS this year, haha. I'm going to definately go both days.
That would be wicked cool! I'm possibly dragging along a friend as Merril, so it would be neat if we all got together.

Working On:
Sailor Mini Moon ◈ Sailor Moon R (for sister) | BB Hood ◈ Darkstalkers (for sister)

Unread 02-23-2011, 12:14 PM   #6
hmwsg x
Look at that hot bouffant

I hope I can go back to Pure Spec this year T_T Its all up to the events coord. That said, I got a Flemeth wig commissioned late October and I've been working (slowly) on parts of it. I'm hoping to have it by Gencon, ideally Acen but I'm running out of time D:
hmwsg x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 12:43 AM   #7
Palaven
I like big boats.

@ hmwsg x ] - It would be awesome if you could.
I'm so glad to see someone actually make the costume! That whole spikey hair spikes thing looks so intimidating to make. I'm sure the wo/man you commissioned from had fun, haha.

Working On:

Unread 02-24-2011, 12:57 AM   #8
quiescent
quiess

Palaven --
That would be awesome! We'd definitely have to hang out a bit, as we didn't really get a chance to last year ):!

hmwsg x -- Aaah! We need them to bring you up!
And I am so excited to see how your flemeth turns out =)! That wig would be so exciting to make XD Hahah, I'd be all over that part of the costume... its the rest of it that I'd squirm about

Also. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for making Aveline's sword -- in particular the insane hilt it has. I know I'll have to adjust the proporations a bit, as it would most likely shatter if I made it exactly. But do either of you have an idea of what I might use for something like that?

work in progress --
  • CCEE, 2013
Unread 02-24-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
hmwsg x

Quote:
Palaven --
That would be awesome! We'd definitely have to hang out a bit, as we didn't really get a chance to last year ):!

hmwsg x -- Aaah! We need them to bring you up!
And I am so excited to see how your flemeth turns out =)! That wig would be so exciting to make XD Hahah, I'd be all over that part of the costume... its the rest of it that I'd squirm about

Also. I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for making Aveline's sword -- in particular the insane hilt it has. I know I'll have to adjust the proporations a bit, as it would most likely shatter if I made it exactly. But do either of you have an idea of what I might use for something like that?
Talk to Stan Woo! I've already offered my presence and said I would help reorganize the costume contest but I haven't heard anything. My boyfriend and I would love to go back--the size of the event and the people who attended were just great.

And we are totally opposite on the costume o.o I was absolutely terrified of the wig so its the only part I got commissioned xD Maybe I should of hired you for it!

Are you talking about the sword with the split hilt? You could always do a dowel rod, then use expanding foam, paper mache and then paint like Kamui's WoW weapons.
Unread 02-24-2011, 01:13 AM   #10
quiescent
quiess

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmwsg x View Post
Talk to Stan Woo! I've already offered my presence and said I would help reorganize the costume contest but I haven't heard anything. My boyfriend and I would love to go back--the size of the event and the people who attended were just great.

And we are totally opposite on the costume o.o I was absolutely terrified of the wig so its the only part I got commissioned xD Maybe I should of hired you for it!

Are you talking about the sword with the split hilt? You could always do a dowel rod, then use expanding foam, paper mache and then paint like Kamui's WoW weapons.
I might have to drop him a message >> -fist pump- It'd be awesome to have you guys back! And I'm sure most of the people that attended would as well

Expanding foam terrifies me, but that might be an idea :O! I know I'll have to do some serious reinforcing on that bad boy. I showed it to a friend of mine who is very swordsy and all he did was laugh at me, haha.

work in progress --
  • CCEE, 2013
Unread 02-24-2011, 01:17 AM   #11
hmwsg x

Quote:
I might have to drop him a message >> -fist pump- It'd be awesome to have you guys back! And I'm sure most of the people that attended would as well

Expanding foam terrifies me, but that might be an idea :O! I know I'll have to do some serious reinforcing on that bad boy. I showed it to a friend of mine who is very swordsy and all he did was laugh at me, haha.
*fist bump* Yeaah We'd love to be back, and I would love to try to break into the Bioware offices >_>

Expanding foam is a little scary, but you just have to wear protective goggles and gloves...and make sure you're wearing clothes you won't mind throwing away in case it gets on you. It actually reminds me of whip cream cans
Unread 02-24-2011, 01:17 AM   #12
Palaven
I like big boats.

I would be so disappointed if we didn't get to hang out! I will stalk you D:< Hahahano...

I'm trying to figure out something like that myself. To be completely honest, I'm thinking of just using posterboard, thickening it up with bondo or something lightweight, and weathering it for my sword. Something tells me that won't work for you. Ummm.... I wish I could help? I'm researching some cosplay prop blogs for my costumes, I'll let you know if I find anything.

Expanding foam is G-R-E-A-T for staffs. It's what I'm using for my Merril's. I've never thought about using it for swords though.

Working On:

Unread 02-24-2011, 01:32 AM   #13
quiescent
quiess

Yes, breaking into the Bioware offices... BWAHA. I can only imagine the confusion if we were caught... and dressed as characters from the games no less :P bwaha.

Also, just watched the Expanding foam tutorials. I can see this working for the hilt and the sword. I would definitely have to super reinforce the prongs of the hilt, but it would definitely work Thanks for suggesting that I check that place out!

work in progress --
  • CCEE, 2013
Unread 03-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #14
quiescent
quiess

Double posting -- but honestly, eh.
Also, why isn't there an (un)official Dragon Age thread? There is a Morrigan one, but I'd feel weird posting over there. lol. On that note, I don't feel (un)official enough to create one.. -prods HMWSG X-

Anyways. The expanding foam method is crazy easy, and Palaven, I would recommend it if you feel comfortable with using a box cutter as a carving utensil lol. I've spent approximately $25-35 bucks so far to make my sword and shield. The Sword is almost finished. I'll probably be spending a few more bucks to buy some appropriate spray paint and the like. I also want to add that the price was probably hiked by the giant bucket of wallpaper glue I purchased lol. I'll be swimming in Swords and papier mache'd items shortly.

Here is an image of the sword after I taped over the foam. I've already applied papier mache at this point and tomorrow I tackle the papier mache paste for sanding and fine tuning.

work in progress --
  • CCEE, 2013
Unread 03-02-2011, 01:21 AM   #15
hmwsg x

Quote:
Double posting -- but honestly, eh.
Also, why isn't there an (un)official Dragon Age thread? There is a Morrigan one, but I'd feel weird posting over there. lol. On that note, I don't feel (un)official enough to create one.. -prods HMWSG X-

Anyways. The expanding foam method is crazy easy, and Palaven, I would recommend it if you feel comfortable with using a box cutter as a carving utensil lol. I've spent approximately $25-35 bucks so far to make my sword and shield. The Sword is almost finished. I'll probably be spending a few more bucks to buy some appropriate spray paint and the like. I also want to add that the price was probably hiked by the giant bucket of wallpaper glue I purchased lol. I'll be swimming in Swords and papier mache'd items shortly.

Here is an image of the sword after I taped over the foam. I've already applied papier mache at this point and tomorrow I tackle the papier mache paste for sanding and fine tuning.
LOL Don't you look at me! Honestly, Mass Effect didn't get its own thread category and fancy threads until the 2nd one came out and it got more popular. I'd say give it a bit of time--there will be people popping up wanting to do DA2 costumes.

Your sword looks great I can't wait to see it finished! My Wrex armor right now consists of cardboard and expanding foam and it so far cost me about 40 bucks for the largest armor parts, so yeah it is pretty affordable. Cutting it is going to be awful, my hot knife takes so long (and it smells bad when I carve into foam). How fast did it take to carve with a utility knife? I might just buy a bunch and recruit some friends to help with carving.

But uh, back to DA2...
...uh...
1 week left!