Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Crossplay

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 40 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #46
Sisshi
Sexy Leg Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao View Post
I've always planned to get a T-Kingdom, but now I'm rethinking that plan.

I've never owned a formal binding shirt, just something I made myself, which was basically a non-elastic thick band of fabric that I covered my breast area, and also covered up the space under my breasts. The problem with that is it's not that comfortable. And I want to breath properly for once.

I have a pretty tiny size, which was why my method above worked so well. So I'm wondering if Underworks is good for an A? Or would T-Kingdom be better after all? I have a really small ribcage and small waist, too. :x
For an A you could probably do just fine with the binder from T-kingdom
Animarathon: White Mage (Final Fantasy)
GarasuNoShiCon: Aranea (Homestuck)

My binding results with the Underworks compression shirt, Check it out ^^
Sisshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-25-2011, 11:52 PM   #47
Kelley
Devil of Details

You could most likely "get away" with T-Kingdom, but keep in mind that their products are much more expensive while getting you less.

I would *definitely* not use a non-stretch band of fabric around your rib cage. This is a *very* bad idea. Even a tight sports' bra or two would be so much better.

Have you tried out any sports' bras ? Try on a few different sizes at the store - if you're an A, you might easily find something that works great for you. Look at the heavier-duty sports' bras, the ones meant to be able to be worn on their own.

I wouldn't pay T-Kingdom prices when you could probably get a sports' bra that works just fine. The tri-top might be overkill, but it's much less expensive and you could add your own zipper or heavy-duty velcro if you wanted that to it.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 11:57 PM   #48
Masao

I've never really looked into sports bras, but I think I'll try that route out, thank you! What stores would carry the heavy-duty ones?
Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 02:43 AM   #49
Kelley
Devil of Details

You might try places like Target or Kohl's even a more general place like WAL*MART, or places that sell a lot of workout/outdoors type clothes (sporting goods stores).

I'm not sure what each place carries, or who would have the *best*. I'd guess sporting goods type places might be a bit more expensive, but might have better selections, and Target has a limited selection (but they do have some). I'm not sure what a place like WAL*MART would have - but I'd guess they would have *something*.
Unread 02-26-2011, 04:51 AM   #50
Masao

Thanks, I'll look into those, and maybe try some of the sporting stores we have around here.
Masao is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #51
FluffyCoatIzaya
I Love Izaya Orihara ^^

im not really a fan of the sports bra method. i tried it and all it did was make me uncomfortable. Its didnt flatten me at all. Im about a 38B.

does anyone have any others methods for me? i heard of some elastic thing at jo anns in this thread whats that called?

Last edited by FluffyCoatIzaya : 02-26-2011 at 03:17 PM.
FluffyCoatIzaya is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #52
Chaletica
[laughs]

Just a question: I'm a B-cup. Do you think I could get away with a sports bra, or would you recommend a compression shirt instead?

Last edited by Chaletica : 02-27-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Chaletica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #53
Kelley
Devil of Details

@EmoPanda : Can you afford the $30 (after shipping) tri-top ? It's much more durable than elastic. If you get the $3/y elastic (which is the kind you need), the price will add up quickly and you'll probably need at least 5 yards.

It's important to not just wrap the elastic AROUND you. You have to have the elastic angled to press *down and sideways* on the breasts. If you just wrap around, the pressure needed to bind can quickly become too great and can easily cause pain/injuries.

@Chaletica, binding depends a lot on how "squishy" you are - breast tissue varies person to person - some people can easily compress a D cup with only a sports bra since their breasts are relatively "squishy", while some can't get a B cup to go down without more. You could try on sports' bras in a store and see if they work - and if they don't, don't buy them and look for a real binder.
Unread 02-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #54
ShadowYin-Yang
Tomboy Otaku

I actually have a question, health-wise.

My breasts are possibly the most annoying thing I have to put up with. My body is tiny and I think all my fat is going to my breasts(which obviously doesn't help with crossplaying). Last I checked I think I'm a C.
But for convenience-sake for my everyday life, is it bad to bind everyday? Or at least wear a sportsbra everyday?

I heard if you're still growing, you shouldn't do that; but I'm 20 now and haven't grown in years(save for my chest) so is it still bad to bind/wear sportsbra everyday?
ShadowYin-Yang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #55
Aleiki
Science Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowYin-Yang View Post
I actually have a question, health-wise.

My breasts are possibly the most annoying thing I have to put up with. My body is tiny and I think all my fat is going to my breasts(which obviously doesn't help with crossplaying). Last I checked I think I'm a C.
But for convenience-sake for my everyday life, is it bad to bind everyday? Or at least wear a sportsbra everyday?

I heard if you're still growing, you shouldn't do that; but I'm 20 now and haven't grown in years(save for my chest) so is it still bad to bind/wear sportsbra everyday?
There are lots of women who do this. Many of them are trans, so they're identifying as men: so naturally they'd want their breasts to be invisible. If you've got a safe binder, there shouldn't be any problem. Wearing a sports bra most definitely wouldn't be a problem.
Aleiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 01:11 AM   #56
MagiFox
Spacey-Wacey

What's the best way to doing the sports bra method? My best friend just wore two of them on top of the other when she cosplayed as Halloween Town Sora from Kingdom Hearts II. I tried it out with 2 sports bras in my size (I'm a 34 A), and I still have a bit of a 'curve' when wearing a shirt.

Also, is it better to get sports bras in different colors/shades when wearing various shirts? (i.e. white with a white shirt).
Danny Phantom (Danny Phantom)
Randy Cunningham [Ninja Suit] (RC9GN)
Hades [Female] (Hercules (Disney))
Sixth Doctor [Female] (Doctor Who)

[~Upcoming Events~]
Otakuthon 2014 l Montreal Comic Con 2014

Last edited by MagiFox : 02-28-2011 at 01:14 AM.
MagiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2011, 01:33 AM   #57
Kelley
Devil of Details

@ShadowYin-Yang, The problem is that you *can* lose elasticity in your breasts if you bind every day. It's up to you if that would be bad or not. This means sagging and not able to hold their shape as well (something that happens naturally with age, too).

I would speak to a doctor about it, especially if you're not transsexual.

Wearing a sports' bra - where it doesn't compress so much as hold in place is likely harmless.

However, have you considered "wireless" bras ? I find sports' bras don't offer enough support (unless they're very tight - bringing you back to the "binding every day" issues), but many "wireless" ones are just as comfortable (if not more so) and offer more in the way of support. I would never wear an underwire every day - "wireless" bras are great and really comfortable if that's what you're looking for.

@MagiFox, I would guess it depends, person-to-person, what "best" would be. You might try a 32A, if possible, and layer it over the usual one - and see if it's not too tight as to be uncomfortable. Just try things out and see what works best.

For colour, nude is the "best" - since it's going to be most invisible under most colours. White under white actually tends to look *bad* - you want nude under white or the white under white will actually show up in a bad way. You can't go wrong with nude, although wearing black under black or something would likely be alright unless it wasn't fully opaque.

Last edited by Kelley : 02-28-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Unread 02-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #58
Aleiki
Science Lawyer

@Magifox: Just really quickly: did you shift your breasts at all? For example, putting one sports bra on, then shifting both breasts up and to the side, then putting the other on? I know when I wear a sports bra just for being active, all it does is compress my breasts towards the middle slightly. It's fine for being active, but not for crossplaying... if I were going to crossplay with a sports bra I'd probably shift them around a bit and see how well that worked.

I'm not sure if you tried that or not, but if you already did, then try some other things as well, like different sizes, like Kelley suggested. :>
Aleiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #59
pltshp
i did what i have to do

So here's my 38DD before and after!
pltshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 08:23 PM   #60
belligerent
Viking Metal

I'm pretty flat, anyway, but IMO the tritop is the way to go. You could easily be spending $30 for a couple of decent quality sportsbras and they might not work as well for you. It's not really that much money for an investment that will make your crossplay look better and will not cause you the kind of pain or damage improper binding can cause.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Nephrite
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote