Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 82 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-09-2011, 07:21 PM   #1
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

The pissed-off-about-politics thread

Here's where we can go to complain to each other about shitty laws, shitty politicians, the shitty economy, and what we're doing (or would like to do) to change things.

I just got back from lobbying for Planned Parenthood in Austin. Texas is trying to pass this shitty law that would force every woman who wanted an abortion to have to get a sonogram to see the fetus inside her before doing so. In some versions of the bill, if the woman didn't want to have the sonogram or see the baby, she would be allowed to close her eyes, put her hands over her ears, and "hum a little tune."
WHAT THE F***?!

It's clearly trying to manipulate abortion-seeking women into going ahead and having the baby, despite the fact that she JUST MIGHT be considering the abortion for an extremely valid reason in the first place.

We also discussed how stupid abstinence-only education was, defunding Planned Parenthood and all that jazz.

In the end, we had a grand old time and we feel like we may have actually gotten through to a few people.

Are there any shitty laws or proposed laws that make you angry or sad?

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

Raistlin Majere
Ninetails Gijinka
Morticia Addams (couple's cosplay)
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #2
sam vimes
A real live wire

There are a few that come to mind.

Good on you, though. I suspect you had an easier time of it in Austin than you would have in other parts of Texas.

I'm glad that this thread was created, because I find myself more and more nervous since the Republicans took the House again. I used to consider myself solidly middle of the road when it came to politics, but the latest policies being favored by the Tea Party-backed conservatives in power is pushing me to the left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
Yukikittie

Politics.
Everything going on with Planned Parenthood is pissing me off, a lot. I really don't want those to pass. Like the one you mentioned. (And if they have already then God help us all.) They're just sickening.
So is the legislation to defund PBS. (Mr. Rogers, where are you now when we need you?)
I'm moderate, but I tend to side with the Democrats more nowadays. Ever since the Republicans 'took over' the House of Representatives, I've rarely been paying attention. It's a chickens way out and an unpatriotic thing to do, but now I just want to block it all out and pretend that everything is fine and dandy. It's just so frustrating, can't we all just get along?
Unread 03-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Shana05
The Nation of Love

According to a person who worked for Planned Parenthood, sonograms are performed before every abortion (atleast surgical ones). The woman shouldn't have to view if she doesn't want to and I can understand your outrage if the argument is worded like that. But the doctors need to see were exactly the embryo is implanted. (The majority of abortions happen in the first 12 weeks, at this point it's not a fetus yet.)

The topic of abortion has been a lot more sensitive to me since Tiller's murder. He was actually a family acquaintance. (I'm not saying friend because I don't want to oversell the relationship.) With many saying that this man deserved to be murdered in cold blood and even South Dakota proposing a law that can make the such acts a case of "justifiable homicide," many times I just want to bury my face in a pillow and scream.

Anime Central: Maid Cafe!Aiichiro Nitori (Free!) - Flapper fem!America (Hetalia) - Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013) - Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukikittie View Post
It's just so frustrating, can't we all just get along?
This. I remember when Obama came to office everyone was all "YAY!" and then reality set in. He had to deal with the other side of the table, who didn't want to play nice. Why would they, the harder he fell, the better chances they would have the next time around. The Republican party is splintering apart and it's making people pretty wary, and with good reason.

Canadian politics is pretty tame in comparison. We have the conservatives, with Steven Harper at the helm in his sweater vest. The Liberals... who can't seem to find a competent leader.... and that other party that no one likes.

Provincial politics in Ontario mirror that. Our hydro bills are going up up up... and yet we produce more power then we can handle... and somehow we have to pay people to take it. Whatever happened to supply and demand? Supply is high, demand is low... shouldn't the price of hydro go down? Oh wait, we are so into wind power that we are paying 12 cents a kilowatt... when we pay like 7 cents for normal power generation. WHAT??! On top of it, a lot of people don't want wind near them. People are complaining of headaches (these babies are loud), the blades kill birds (especially birds of prey, and bats), animals are driven away (farmers who have one nearby are not happy, their horses are not happy), and other issues, but the government doesn't care, they want to look "green". The wind companies are like door to door salesman trying to get people to lease their property for one. They are really annoying, all because the government is paying way to much for it.

So now our price for hyrdo is going way up, and so the government in its infinite wisdom decides to lower our bill. How could they do that? Well they took out a loan you see... to cover the extra costs... and well, we will have to play that loan back with interest. Lovely. So smart on their part. Hydro costs are still going up. They introduced a smart meter, which should measure power better. It's causing people to pay even more.

/head desk

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
Pudding-chan

I'm angry that the governor of Wisconsin is trying to break the unions (at least from public servants!)! What the hell man? The unions are there for a reason! Thanks for the regression in our rights! I'm so angry at the moment that I've become illiterate!
Pudding-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

Other than what Flora said, and I'm behind her 100%, I would just like to point out

America doesn't know how to throw a tea party.

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #8
Archangelz
Accio burrito!

WISCONSIN.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/10/us...WT.mc_ev=click

Damn. As I posted on Facebook, this whole thing is disgusting. Not only because of what they are doing, or have done I should say, but because both political sides are children. The Democrats just ran away to not have to talk about it openly and quickly. The Republicans used a loophole to pass massive changes without any debate or any Democrats present. This is a disgustingly broken system.

www.nerdangel.com

Member of Bacon-Flavored Cosplay
Archangelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #9
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

I steer away from talking about politics, I hate them.

If you want to know my position, I'd be the guy running in front of the riot throwing molotovs.
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2011, 11:53 PM   #10
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
I steer away from talking about politics, I hate them.

If you want to know my position, I'd be the guy running in front of the riot throwing molotovs.
Way to contribute.

As for your position, enjoying getting stomped by the riot police.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #11
Origin
Just A Work In Progress.

Washington. Christine Gregoire. Enough said.

They Will See... We'll Fight Until Eternity...
Come With Me, We'll Stand And Fight...
Together.
Through Our Strength We'll Make A Better Day Tomorrow...
We Shall Never Surrender.

Sakuracon '14~ Redeemed Riven= League of Legends
Secret Cosplay= Attack on Titan
Origin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 12:05 AM   #12
Arc_The_Lad
of Daventry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Way to contribute.

As for your position, enjoying getting stomped by the riot police.
I don't vote.

Deal with it. *shades*
Arc_The_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 12:06 AM   #13
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Oh are we talking about ridiculous things in politics? Here's my latest rage:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...89946#41889946

This ties in rather nicely with federal funding being cut from Planned Parenthood. PP provides affordable heath care expendatures in prevention and pregnancy care.
Some women can only afford to go to PP for these things and by cutting the funding you're cutting off the resources to help these women have a healthy baby. No health care=possible miscarriages.
Sooo..you want this baby to be born but you're denying people an affordable way to do so? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense there.

I wrote a ridiculously long blog entry on it providing a lot more information that I'd be happy to PM if anyone actually wants to read it.
I was just outraged at how someone could condemn someone for something they couldn't help and add to the heartbreak of losing their baby. ;_;

Last edited by Miyabi- : 03-10-2011 at 12:11 AM.
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #14
A.F.S. 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora88 View Post
Here's where we can go to complain to each other about shitty laws, shitty politicians, the shitty economy, and what we're doing (or would like to do) to change things.

I just got back from lobbying for Planned Parenthood in Austin. Texas is trying to pass this shitty law that would force every woman who wanted an abortion to have to get a sonogram to see the fetus inside her before doing so. In some versions of the bill, if the woman didn't want to have the sonogram or see the baby, she would be allowed to close her eyes, put her hands over her ears, and "hum a little tune."
WHAT THE F***?!

It's clearly trying to manipulate abortion-seeking women into going ahead and having the baby, despite the fact that she JUST MIGHT be considering the abortion for an extremely valid reason in the first place.

We also discussed how stupid abstinence-only education was, defunding Planned Parenthood and all that jazz.

In the end, we had a grand old time and we feel like we may have actually gotten through to a few people.

Are there any shitty laws or proposed laws that make you angry or sad?
I bet it made you real mad when ricky boy wanted to make mandatory cervical cancer innoculation injections for all females attending public schools.

Not only was it an experimental and dangerous drug, it goes against everything that his partay stands for.

JIU JITSU is life.
A.F.S. 1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 01:53 AM   #15
Ineedaname9
I Am Not Sephiroth

AIPAC comes to mind...or any other pro-Isreal lobby group. It's so powerful that is scares politicians.....

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.as...r=palestin&Cr1
http://my.firedoglake.com/ctuttle/20...ion-on-israel/

They say yes it's wrong and yes something should be done, but we don't want to be sacked so we must veto this. I really don't want to go digging thru my stuff for the name UN ambassador that was sacked because of the AIPAC lobby.

On a local scale, HECO (Hawaiian electric company) really needs to come to an agrement. We recently had a storm and yeah having the repair guys on strike is BAD!!!! Kinda like the time the shipyard workers went on strike and everyone on the island ran out of toilet paper...
Suguru from Hiiro no Kakera, Atsuri from Hiiro no Kakera 4, Kaname from Brothers Conflict, fem!Russia from Hetalia, Chrom from Fire Emblem, Lightning from FF13, Hades from Kamigami no Asobi, Klaiver from Ace Attorne

Events: Kawaii Kon 15
Ineedaname9 is offline   Reply With Quote