Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Other Fashion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Egotist
ATTENTION!...

Military?

Anybody else like military wear? Both field uniforms(camoflage), and service uniforms(dress coat/pants). The 1930s-40s were a good era for service dress. Trenchcoats and leather gloves? Crusher hats, shoulder tassels, embroider rank... It's badass, it's authoritarian.
Jabbawocky (America's Best Dance Crew)
Crybaby (Crybaby)
Ajax (The Warriors)
Egotist is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

I do like military wear. I've been collecting coats, dress uniforms, flight suits, insignia, caps, and the like since high school. Some people find it disrespectful, so be careful how you wear it (I used to wear some things in a disrespectful way in high school but learned not to as I got older). Heck, there are a ton of subcultures that wear military gear and uniform pieces, so I'm sure you'll find others.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 12:46 AM   #3
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I actually love to design and make clothing using military structure as a basis without it being actual military. I love the form of a fitted service dress uniform and the formality of how to wear all the ranks, ribbons, and details. It's one way of being so structured and organized without appearing to be stuffy I think.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #4
SourCherryTwist
Wannaflywindy

be careful if you wear one of our uniforms...some people dont really like it...and NEVER wear a ribbon you didnt earn. it CAN be a federal offense. I personally dont care, but not everyone cares its just a fashion statement. im not trying to be a jerk, but you must realize, we servicemembers had to EARN our rank, ribbons and medals.

AC Tifa, Fairy rikku, Thief Rikku, Lenne

Last edited by SourCherryTwist : 08-11-2010 at 06:32 AM.
SourCherryTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2010, 12:46 AM   #5
EvanKrell

Because of my love of ocean/sailor type stuff (thanks 20000 Leagues Under the Sea!), I often wear an admiral jacket that I got for 2 bucks. I removed the rank insignias though.

I also adore this military-style jacket I picked up for 2 bucks from a garage sale- hand tailored. It is incredible.

http://i36.tinypic.com/34y4qwj.jpg

But, yeah, I use a lot of military pieces in my daily wear, but with a focus on older military. Pith helmets, trenchcoats, etc.
Unread 08-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
Egotist
ATTENTION!...

@ Sourcherrytwist: I know your feelings, I am military, and love it's historic uniforms.
@ EvanKrell: Same here, bud. I tried to incorporate camoflague with my regular wear, but it didn't work so well.
Jabbawocky (America's Best Dance Crew)
Crybaby (Crybaby)
Ajax (The Warriors)
Egotist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
Leadmill
Looks good in uniform...

I mix military asthetic with my gothic attire. I have some pictures somewhere of a recent cosplay ball I attended which gave me the oppertunity to try out some ideas

Current Cosplay Projects
Nights Watch Brother (Game of Thrones) - 70%
Shy Guy (Mario Warfare) - 90%
Leadmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

I own a few 30's military vests, coats, boots, and gloves. I wear them occasionally, more so now that it is getting cold

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #9
mouseomo

I do, though most is huge -me being a teenage girl. Generally, it's mixed with Gothic elements. Like others have said, i remove the ranks and rewards.
Unread 12-28-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
ManiacMarshall
Hope Rides Alone

I wear a uniform five days a week. Why the hell would I want to wear it in my off time?
Unread 12-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #11
PeaceOfMind
Timey-Wimey

I LOVE military styles. I have some clothes that aren't really military, just military-inspired but are still pretty damn awesome. I also have some olive drab BDU's that I bought for cosplay but I wear the top and bottoms sometimes (separately).

I know that you shouldn't wear any ribbons or insignias, but is there anything else about wearing military things that could be considered offensive? I don't want to unknowingly offend someone.

Lilith the Siren (Borderlands)
Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
PeaceOfMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 12:18 AM   #12
Alliekitten
Allie Kitten

Have a military fashion fetish. Love the Nazi SS uniforms the most (it's unfortunate about what their purpose was, because their uniforms were so awesome looking)
Russian uniforms I like as well.
American ones I'm not as into except for maybe marines (like the jacket with the red trim)

Some things that are offensive to people are the nazi symbol and yes, wearing medals that you did not earn. There will always be the few who get offended when you wear military fashion.
Going to goth clubs and being dressed up, I've had people in the military come up to me and say- "You're an idiot for dressing that way and I think you're dumb and dumb looking!" (paraphrasing) so I respond by saying: (and this is my response- I am not trying to start an argument or debate here, just merely stating how I respond) "I don't think you're very bright yourself signing up for the military and fighting/dying for a country that doesn't care about you"

So really, what I'm saying is, if you are going to dress military, then be ready to have people come up to you and let their opinions be heard. That doesn't mean you can't shoot back with your own opinion.
Unread 03-19-2011, 02:16 AM   #13
Emiko87

My dad was in the marines in the 80's (during peacetime) and I snitched one of his old fatigue shirts (the camo button-front ones with 4 pockets) and wear it as a jacket. A couple of people have actually complimented me on it lol. I'd like to get a pair of combat boots because they look really awesome, plus I tend to be fairly hard on my footwear so I want some tough shoes I can wear all over, but I haven't found any yet (I don't like to order things off the internet, so I've got to find a military surplus store if I want a pair and I haven't had the time to look for one.)

To Alliekitten: Regardless of whether you consider our soldiers "bright" or not, and regardless of your opinion of the country in general, it is not appropriate to respond to criticism of your fashion choices by insulting their career choice, inasmuch as they've voluntarily put themselves in a job where they put their own lives and safety on the line to defend yours.

Last edited by Emiko87 : 03-19-2011 at 02:28 AM.
Emiko87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #14
The Seventh Sea
DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!!!

Some military folks can be alittle over passionate, even when you give an explaination. Before I joined the Air Force, I used to wear a Dark Angels pendant from the Black Library (Warhammer 40K) and some Ranger mistook it as a badge from a different unit. I explained to him it was from a tabletop game and thinking he was interested in it, I asked him if he'd like to know where I got it. "No thanks, I wear what I earn f*****..." then he storms off.

Of course, I was pretty tired at work, so it didn't register until the end of the day.
The Seventh Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #15
Amaraeon
Potweet?

Some people who are in the military can be a bit *touchy* when it comes to uniforms as fashion. Being former military myself I can sympathize - but as long as the person is not trying to pretend they are actually military when they're not, or displaying insignia they didn't earn ( made up or fan referenced stuff is all cool with me ) then I really don't give a rat's behind.

For myself I tend to go with either really old school uniforms - WWI or before - with a modern twist or futuristic styles that I know do not overlap with any uniforms currently in use. I find it just gets rid of a lot of the hassle of people assuming ( remember what that's short for ^.~) that I'm trying to be insulting / young and stupid / disrespectful.
Amaraeon is offline   Reply With Quote