Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.81 average.
Unread 03-08-2011, 02:42 AM   #46
ten_again
ten

Thank you very much.

Well, for extra bragging rights, all of us in the picture actually jumped out of an aeroplane in those uniforms. We didn't jump with the weapons though.

Been putting some more pictures of my WW2 US paratrooper impression on this board.

Last edited by ten_again : 03-14-2011 at 10:56 AM.
ten_again is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #47
ten_again
ten

Been adding some more pictures of my WW2 impressions.

Please let me know what you guys think.
Unread 03-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #48
sephygoth
Hater lover

I remember in 2006 someone spoke to me about cosplaying somene from world war 2, when we asked who the person said "I dunno, just someone from WW2"
it made no sense to me, and still doesn't. I don't see this as costume play, I see it as kinda crapping on us history while using a word that doesn't even match. and considering it's ww2, that kinda turns my stomach.

we have a documentary from 4 yrs ago with a friend of mine remembering that time. Rediculous idea.
sephygoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #49
ten_again
ten

Sephygoth, just curious, do you feel that way specifically about Word War Two or about all historical costuming?
Unread 03-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #50
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

@ten_again - Love your pictures! The poses remind me of real photographs from the time.

I talked at length to women at two museums today to get the last bits of information I need for my uniforms. It's been something terrible to track down the underwear info, but I've finally found the right source - the Women's Army Museum in Fort Lee, Virginia.
All of these people getting offended on here should just calm down now. The people at both museums (including the curator of one) seemed quite excited that I would make a WAC uniform to wear at conventions, and they were happy to help. To be honest, I think they're glad that someone cares enough about history to want to make accurate uniforms down to the lining, spacing of the buttons, underwear, etc.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 02:20 AM   #51
ten_again
ten

Supergeekgirl, thank you. We do try, but it's always great to get a comment like that.

As a group we have been dealing with veterans a lot, and they were always thrilled that we were preserving history in this way.

Most of the time we do this at original locations and provide an educational function for the public as well.

If you're looking for some more detailed info about the WAC, there are several women in our organisation who do that as well and most of them have original uniforms.

Since I'm concentrating on the Canadian forces recently, most women in our group have been going as CWAC's, which as you no doubt know stands for Cutest Women in All of Canada.
Unread 03-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #52
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten_again View Post
If you're looking for some more detailed info about the WAC, there are several women in our organisation who do that as well and most of them have original uniforms.
I got some great info from a couple of museums including wonderful, detailed pictures, but if you get a chance to talk to any of them in the next week, I AM looking for more detailed pictures of the waistband of the 1944 OD service uniform. I'm hoping to get a couple of images from the Women's Army Museum today, but most of my focus was on underwear when I called.

And yeah, all of the veterans I've met (except my stepfather who served in Vietnam) are happy to see people wearing the uniforms from their times. I wonder if my stepfather's problem is that he doesn't want people thinking of something in his lifetime as "history".
Unread 03-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #53
ten_again
ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeekgirl View Post
I got some great info from a couple of museums including wonderful, detailed pictures, but if you get a chance to talk to any of them in the next week, I AM looking for more detailed pictures of the waistband of the 1944 OD service uniform. I'm hoping to get a couple of images from the Women's Army Museum today, but most of my focus was on underwear when I called.
I'm sure they have them, but don't know how soon I can get a hold of one of them. We usually all meet up at the end of the month.

And by the way I am glad you asked the museum about the underwear, because if I started asking my friends about that I would get a few weird looks, at the least...

Quote:
And yeah, all of the veterans I've met (except my stepfather who served in Vietnam) are happy to see people wearing the uniforms from their times. I wonder if my stepfather's problem is that he doesn't want people thinking of something in his lifetime as "history".
One of my proudest moments with US veterans was when William Guarnere presented me with a US parachute wing because he thought I had earned it after I had jumped out of an aeroplane in my 506th uniform.

By the way, I also noticed you're going to be doing Madonna from Express yourself soon. Excellent! So will that be the green dress, the black business suit or the chain?
Unread 03-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #54
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
I'm sure they have them, but don't know how soon I can get a hold of one of them. We usually all meet up at the end of the month.

And by the way I am glad you asked the museum about the underwear, because if I started asking my friends about that I would get a few weird looks, at the least...
Unfortunately, they say that I'd have to take a trip to the museum (several states away) to photograph the pieces if I want pictures of the underwear now. *sigh* I have to figure out how to get ahold of pictures of those now. I can't find them in any uniform books or on any uniform websites. Well, just the slip and panties but not the girdle and bra.

Quote:
By the way, I also noticed you're going to be doing Madonna from Express yourself soon. Excellent! So will that be the green dress, the black business suit or the chain?
It's the suit. I'm on the last part of it now - the monocle. I also need to do a black bustier for it because I don't think a regular black bra will cut it. This is my year of cosplaying only blondes, I guess. Madonna, the Joy, Helga Sinclair. Badass blondes at that.
Unread 03-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #55
ten_again
ten

Quote:
Unfortunately, they say that I'd have to take a trip to the museum (several states away) to photograph the pieces if I want pictures of the underwear now. *sigh* I have to figure out how to get ahold of pictures of those now. I can't find them in any uniform books or on any uniform websites. Well, just the slip and panties but not the girdle and bra.
Looks through his uniform books...

Seersucker drss, HBT, M-1943, shoes, hair net, handbag and even a 'Patriotic Powder Compact', but sorry no bra...

So is your husband going in uniform as well?

Quote:
It's the suit.
You know I was kind of hoping it was the chain...

Quote:
I'm on the last part of it now - the monocle. I also need to do a black bustier for it because I don't think a regular black bra will cut it. This is my year of cosplaying only blondes, I guess. Madonna, the Joy, Helga Sinclair. Badass blondes at that.
Absolutely.

Your Boss rocked as well, by the way.

Sorry, I kind of got curious and looked at your costumes.

Last edited by ten_again : 03-17-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Unread 03-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #56
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

Can anyone point me to some good resources or potential resources for BRITISH women's WWII uniforms of various stripes? I'm specifically looking for the UK version of the motor core (Driver's uniform) and/or any kind of RAF uniform (I know there were women manning the targeting of anti-aircraft guns - but not the shooting - and flying Spitfire delivery, but I can't find out whether or not they had uniforms or what they looked like) but I'll take the WRENs if there's nothing better going. The people I've contacted so far have mostly replied along the lines of "We can give you nurses - just be a nurse" but I am not much enamoured of the idea of being a nurse.

Plus, y'know, with the nurse hat I wouldn't be able to do victory rolls and their outfits aren't exactly suited to dancing, and I'm going to be going to a major shindig in this getup.
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #57
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
So is your husband going in uniform as well?

You know I was kind of hoping it was the chain...

Absolutely.

Your Boss rocked as well, by the way.

Sorry, I kind of got curious and looked at your costumes.
He is doing a costume with me. His was actually, somehow, easier to research. It's an NKVD State Security major's service uniform. We're using them for a skit and then probably wearing them at a bunch of cons after that. The skit is called "Cold War: The Musical".

I do love the chain, including the lingerie she's wearing there, but I don't really have the body to do it. If I ever do, because I love Madonna so much, I just might. And I was really debating hard between the suit and the green dress because green is my favorite color.

No, thanks for looking at my pictures. I love when people do. I haven't updated on here since October as it's a pain in the ass getting stuff sized correctly to upload here. I put most of my cosplay on deviantART now. http://slythgeek.deviantart.com/

As for British uniforms, I'm currently useless as I'm busy in my own American/Soviet uniform world. I'll try to find some time. What's your deadline? Oh, you know... I saw a book on Amazon at one point all on women in England during WWII. Let me see...
Unread 03-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #58
Squeesax
I AM ROUTE 66

I love military costumes to death, but I do not beleive anywhere in the general public outside of reenactments are like, Nazi uniforms ever a good idea. I am cosplaying a character with a blatant SS inspired uniform and I will not wear it outside of convention grounds and go where it could be seen by the general public. It's not that I personally would be offended by people who wear the uniforms but, "just because they are cool" is an insensitive reason. Unless it's for reenactment or a specific character (even then, dont leave the con XD), I think it's pretty insensitive to go around wearing something that offends many people. If you're out and about in cosplay, wearing a nazi or nazi inspired uniform, the general onlooker will have NO idea that you are just pretending.

We had something happen where we were at a mall in Hetalia cosplay, and my friend told someone when they asked her what she was, that she was WW2 Germany (just lie, people. Don't even say you represent a country XD). I'm not certailn, but their accents sounded alot like someone I knew from Israel. The lady went and told her companion and she yelled back "So you hate Jews?"

While we thought it was all hilarious at the time, my friend was mortified, and later I sorta reeled over the fact that it possibly made those people insanely uncomfortable. I agree, the stuff is still "too soon". It still hits close to home for many people who are still affected by it years later even if they weren't alive during the war itself.

The only other uniforms I could think that should be avoided, probably anything from WW2 Japan, as well as the Red army uniforms. Avoid anything with the hammer and sickle too. I found out from a Chinese friend who also cosplays China, the red arm bands are beyond offensive, and she will not wear it out in public. I dunno about Italy, I guess it depends on where you live. I don't think most people know what their uniforms looked like :/

As far as WW2 US and British uniforms go, meh. No one seems to care. I've seen people eat out in public dressed as the Basterds and no one was batting eyes at them anymore then the Naruto cosplayers. Since none of it is associated with anything offensive, it seems fine to do. People will probably just assume you are in a reenactment automatically.

I think it's all just common sense, don't be out of your way to be offensive. It doesn't matter if the outfit ISN'T a Nazi uniform, if it LOOKS like it, close enough.

No one really bats an eye at the Hellsing cosplayers at conventions anymore (as long as you stay IN the convention), it's only the times we see people dressing up as SS Germany or Prussia that we feel a bit concerned. It's all in very poor taste after that seig heiling crap last year.
Squeesax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #59
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
ESPECIALLY if it were to be from World War II. I'd be very offended if someone came dressed as a Nazi or Hitler or even wore a Swastika. Whether it's part of an anime series or not I don't care, I just think it's in poor taste.

You can cosplay whoever you want, but if you were to cosplay anything related to this, then I will frown upon you or completely ignore you.
I am sensitive on this subject and it can be an obvious reason why, I'm half German. I've put up with a lot of shit concerning this subject and I won't put up with anymore.

But everyone is different, that just happens to be my opinion.
And what of they wore something that was from another axis power?

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #60
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

And we were doing so well at having a conversation about finding info on WWII uniforms for costuming...

By the way, I'm piecing together my pattern from tons of different patterns right now, but I found a great pattern for the base of a Soviet kitel jacket - Butterick 4929. The collar and back are cut perfectly although the sleeves need some of the fullness taken out, and the front needs darts instead of fitting. I'm looking at... I believe it was the A design with the sort of skirty bit around the waist. Well, the pattern needs modified quite a bit, but it's a great base.

Anyone seen a good hat pattern that would work for a WAC hobby hat?