Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 214 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 04-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #5821
benihime
Kimono Queen

@tarinalove - casa satin is my favorite because it's satin but not too shiny. I used it for my princess sakura cosplay.

I wouldn't use water color paint on fabric. Everyone talks highly about jacquard paints and I ordered some for my next fabric. there's opaque colors as well

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #5822
Ranma 1-2

Just back from KitaCon - what a FAB time! I've never been photographed so much! It was pure AWESOME making up the trio of Starlights. Im so happy we had all three together. Theres a special feeling when you're all together. ^_^
Costume wise umm I didn't manage to finish my pvc boot covers and the pvc gloves..they are so hard to do! I had to ditch them last minute cuz the fingers were not going right, so I used my satin arm gloves as backups.

Lots of love for the Sailor Starlights at the con ^_^ Being Maker was such a pleasure. I felt very strong - in a female way, if that makes sense. ..and also Very sexy. :P

No still photos uploaded yet but I found the first vid of our masquerade walk on so you can see how our cosplays turned out. hope you guys like what we did.
(ffwd to 3:45)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXxehVFJ33o
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #5823
airpwane
asdf

You guys looked amazing! Walking in sync with each other made you guys look so cool XD Totally owned the stage

Florida Anime Experience '11
Eternal Sailor Saturn (75%)
Sailor Venus (probably not)

Metrocon '11

Friday - Yukina (YYH) ( 5% )
Saturday - Eternal Sailor Saturn ( 75% )
Sunday - Sailor Venus

Down the road...
Yuna (FFX)
Princess Saturn
Eternal Sailor Neptune
Super Sailor Chibi Moon
Super/Eternal Sailor Moon (SeraMyu)
Princess Sailor Moon (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon)
Melfina (Outlaw Star)
Shelke - Final Fantasy Dirge of Cerberus
airpwane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #5824
hollowchrist
oi, watch it spaceman.

Okay. I've ordered contacts for Chibi Moon and I'm browsing the sculpey for the best price so I can make that darn brooch.

I want to do one more costume for Dragon*Con this year but I can't decide if I want to try and do a Civilian ChibiUsa or something completely non-Sailor Moon, or another character from Sailor Moon. Hrm.

Anybody know of any cute outfits ChibiUsa wears? Other than her school uniform? If I had any sense of fashion I'd just put together something.. The wig makes it pretty obvious who I am, you know? Blahh.

super sailor chibi moon -- 85%
late but lucky (madness returns) -- planning

eBay | FaceBook | Marketplace
Add Me!
hollowchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #5825
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

Quote:
Originally Posted by benihime View Post
@tarinalove - casa satin is my favorite because it's satin but not too shiny. I used it for my princess sakura cosplay.

I wouldn't use water color paint on fabric. Everyone talks highly about jacquard paints and I ordered some for my next fabric. there's opaque colors as well
I am not using water color paint, I am using fabric paints and dilluting it with water in a sponge then applying to the fabric to give it the water color effect as seen in the manga.
I do not know if satin will hold paints since the fabric is synthetic and polyster.

I use satin for my regular moon and imo, super moon has 0 shine, but i need some sparkle because this is a stage costume and it will help reflect light. I am really against cotton for fukus and satin for super moon. Unless I purchase satin lycra. I am looking into various spandex from spandexworld though.

probably use this: spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/3991

i am gonna do a test on my current lycra though once i purchase blue and yellow.

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #5826
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

OMG Ranma!!! You guys looked fabulous!!!!!!!!
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #5827
benihime
Kimono Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarinalove View Post
I am not using water color paint, I am using fabric paints and dilluting it with water in a sponge then applying to the fabric to give it the water color effect as seen in the manga.
I do not know if satin will hold paints since the fabric is synthetic and polyster.

I use satin for my regular moon and imo, super moon has 0 shine, but i need some sparkle because this is a stage costume and it will help reflect light. I am really against cotton for fukus and satin for super moon. Unless I purchase satin lycra. I am looking into various spandex from spandexworld though.

probably use this: spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/3991

i am gonna do a test on my current lycra though once i purchase blue and yellow.
there's a type of jacquard paints that works on all fabrics, including satin.
http:// http://www.jacquardproducts.com/prod...textilecolors/

Ranma -
you guys totally rocked that runway!!!!! you guys made such an awesome group!!!!

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

Last edited by benihime : 04-04-2011 at 11:08 PM.
benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #5828
Ranma 1-2

Thanks guys. ^_^ It did feel special on the day.
When I get some of the good pics and a better vid I will put another link. You know how it is..takes a while after a con for people to upload their stuff.
May - London MCM Expo - Madonna :P
May - London MCM Expo -
Jun - London Film & Comic Con -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Oct - London MCM Expo -
Ranma 1-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #5829
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowchrist View Post
Okay. I've ordered contacts for Chibi Moon and I'm browsing the sculpey for the best price so I can make that darn brooch.

I want to do one more costume for Dragon*Con this year but I can't decide if I want to try and do a Civilian ChibiUsa or something completely non-Sailor Moon, or another character from Sailor Moon. Hrm.

Anybody know of any cute outfits ChibiUsa wears? Other than her school uniform? If I had any sense of fashion I'd just put together something.. The wig makes it pretty obvious who I am, you know? Blahh.
Where are you getting your Chibi-Usa contacts from? Because she has red eyes and another character I'm doing has red eyes and I'm having trouble finding a satisfactory pair.

Also, try look through these artbooks, Chibi-Usa has many adorable clothing in them:

http://mangastyle.net/artbooks.htm

@Ranma: Coar blimey, that was hot stuff xD You all really strutted your stuff and owned that catwalk! Amazing cosplays as well. I loved how Granny Gertrude shouted "Dayum" in the background!
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #5830
ShiNo_Usagi
Noms Are Belong To Me!

I will be making Eternal Sailor Moon this summer and am currently figuring out techniques and materials for it. My material for the outfit will be latex coated spandex and latex for the most part. I'll be attempting boot covers (that'll be interesting, hah hah). I plan to make her wand/staff but I'm still working that and the locket out. But yeah, think I have it all figured out, and I'm excited to get started! The sleeve rolls will be an experiment all their own.

Copernicus - 5%
Blood Seras - 90%
Bobby Uniform Seras - 5%
Kalashnikitty - Planned

*~Progress~*

ShiNo_Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #5831
RoseHanabira

Holy cow, Ranma! You all looked absolutely stellar! Congrats on getting the costume done in time, it looks absolutely amazing!

I'm incredibly hyper right now; my leotard came in the mail! Hooray! Now I finally feel like I can actually get started on this thing! Fabulosity, I'm glad I went with your suggestion for the leotard! It fits a little snug so I'm very relieved that I got the XL (maybe some exercise will help me shed a few inches, haha). I couldn't believe how soft it was, and how well the lining for the front actually works! Wow!

Time to get cracking on this thing!

EDIT: I'm having a fun time making practice skirts out of paper, to get the whole box pleat/knife pleat thing nailed down. It's amazing what you can do with a little bit of math and finding patterns! I've made 2 so far, the first one the box pleats are too narrow and the knife pleats too wide, the second one the other way around, haha. Sleep time now, but I think I know what to do to hit the nail on the head for the third one. *Makes notes to herself*

Last edited by RoseHanabira : 04-05-2011 at 09:13 PM.
RoseHanabira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #5832
hollowchrist
oi, watch it spaceman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
Where are you getting your Chibi-Usa contacts from? Because she has red eyes and another character I'm doing has red eyes and I'm having trouble finding a satisfactory pair.

Also, try look through these artbooks, Chibi-Usa has many adorable clothing in them:

http://mangastyle.net/artbooks.htm

@Ranma: Coar blimey, that was hot stuff xD You all really strutted your stuff and owned that catwalk! Amazing cosplays as well. I loved how Granny Gertrude shouted "Dayum" in the background!
I bought some pink circle lens from one of the sites that advertise on here a lot... I couldn't find any red ones either, not that both looked good and weren't super expensive. But the pink ones are close enough so I figure it'll work out. They need to make non-demonic red contacts, darnit. x0

super sailor chibi moon -- 85%
late but lucky (madness returns) -- planning

eBay | FaceBook | Marketplace
Add Me!
hollowchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 11:05 PM   #5833
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiNo_Usagi View Post
I will be making Eternal Sailor Moon this summer and am currently figuring out techniques and materials for it. My material for the outfit will be latex coated spandex and latex for the most part. I'll be attempting boot covers (that'll be interesting, hah hah). I plan to make her wand/staff but I'm still working that and the locket out. But yeah, think I have it all figured out, and I'm excited to get started! The sleeve rolls will be an experiment all their own.
Why latex?

Every moon costume I've seen with latex ASIDE from Stars looks funky. And her Eternal outfit is so etheral and flowy. Not very plastic-like.

Her sleeves are puff sleeves and have a simple foam circle (which is easy to make if you follow ranma's tutorial which is posted in THIS thread. Just cut a square piece of foam, roll it "edge to edge" and hand sew the edges closed. :} Cover with white lycra, leave an inch seam to attach to main puff sleeves. (You could also add elastic like princess puff sleeves in between the roll and fabric)

I'll be updating that soon with resources for making props and stuff. :}

Unread 04-05-2011, 11:13 PM   #5834
ShiNo_Usagi
Noms Are Belong To Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarinalove View Post
Why latex?

Every moon costume I've seen with latex ASIDE from Stars looks funky. And her Eternal outfit is so etheral and flowy. Not very plastic-like.

Her sleeves are puff sleeves and have a simple foam circle (which is easy to make if you follow ranma's tutorial which is posted in THIS thread. Just cut a square piece of foam, roll it "edge to edge" and hand sew the edges closed. :} Cover with white lycra, leave an inch seam to attach to main puff sleeves. (You could also add elastic like princess puff sleeves in between the roll and fabric)

I'll be updating that soon with resources for making props and stuff. :}
I think you're thinking of vinyl. The latex I'm going to use is very flowy (it's a thin gauge recommended for ruffles and flowy things) and doesn't look plasticy unless I want it to, I can control the 'shiny plasticness' of it which is why I like it! =D

For the sleeves I'm actually casting them from silicon to make them a solid round flexible sphere, but the rolls will be interesting to make, I've made them kind of once before but I was working with stretch vinyl and nylon chord and I wasn't happy with the texture the chord had, but they were perfect rolls other than that. Just have to find something else to put inside. Thinking rubber tubing if I can find it in the right size.

Copernicus - 5%
Blood Seras - 90%
Bobby Uniform Seras - 5%
Kalashnikitty - Planned

*~Progress~*

ShiNo_Usagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 11:53 PM   #5835
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

Ohh alright. :} Well good luck with that!

You should still look at the green foam sheets, they're easy to work with and light weight.