Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Sailor Moon

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 231 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 04-09-2011, 09:02 AM   #5866
erickste
Team Alois

I've got a question about using the Green Pepper pattern. My friends and I discussed that, in an attempt to hide our flaws, we should not use a spandex fabric. Little did I know that this pattern calls for stretch fabric, as the pattern pieces are not made to scale, but to how it should fit once it's stretched. I can't remember what kind of fabric I bought, but it's kind of cottony and kind of like a jersey knit, too, so it stretches a little, but not as much as the pattern calls for.

So is it doable to use this fabric and just overestimate the size of the pieces and just modify it like that? Has anyone made their costume without a spandex fabric? I am, indeed, underweight for my height, and I think that using something that's going to stick to my frame will look really unflattering, so I was hoping using something stiffer will make me look more 'shapely'.

If I can't get this to work, what other patterns work these days? I haven't looked into any other ones yet since I was going to try and work out the Green Pepper pattern. Any tips will be greatly appreciated!
erickste is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2011, 11:14 AM   #5867
RoseHanabira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naffisnevercool View Post
Okay! So basically everything is done except the boot covers and the brooches and I'm pretty darn proud of it since it's my first 'real' cosplay. I've never really thought so in-depth about a project before (or stuck with something with such dedication) and I think I did a pretty good job:

Sailor Uranus Front
Sailor Uranus Back
Super Sailor Uranus Front
Super Sailor Uranus Back

Between the 'two costumes', the only things I'd be changing are the brooches, collar, back bow and either remove the third sleeve or the sheer part. I didn't have to remove anything else between switches. I'm really proud of that. (Especially the sleeves)
Whoa, you made the third sleeve removable? That's awesome! One of the things that I find fascinating about cosplay is making it function-able and practical. The fact that you made it such that it's essentially 2 costumes in one, that's awesome! Especially the sleeves, how did you do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickste View Post
I've got a question about using the Green Pepper pattern. My friends and I discussed that, in an attempt to hide our flaws, we should not use a spandex fabric. Little did I know that this pattern calls for stretch fabric, as the pattern pieces are not made to scale, but to how it should fit once it's stretched. I can't remember what kind of fabric I bought, but it's kind of cottony and kind of like a jersey knit, too, so it stretches a little, but not as much as the pattern calls for.

So is it doable to use this fabric and just overestimate the size of the pieces and just modify it like that? Has anyone made their costume without a spandex fabric? I am, indeed, underweight for my height, and I think that using something that's going to stick to my frame will look really unflattering, so I was hoping using something stiffer will make me look more 'shapely'.

If I can't get this to work, what other patterns work these days? I haven't looked into any other ones yet since I was going to try and work out the Green Pepper pattern. Any tips will be greatly appreciated!
I'm afraid I can't be of much help, I made a very failed attempt at using the Green Pepper pattern (didn't realize that my hip and waist measurements were way too big for the pattern until both pattern and fabric were bought...). I will say that, if you want to follow the pattern exactly, then you'll need your fabric to stretch as much as it calls for, but I think you knew that already ^_^; I don't know much about fabric, but I don't necessarily think that a stiffer fabric will make you look more 'shapely'. I think it would hang on you loser, but I don't think it would give the appearance of a different shape... does that make sense?
RoseHanabira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #5868
erickste
Team Alois

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHanabira View Post
I'm afraid I can't be of much help, I made a very failed attempt at using the Green Pepper pattern (didn't realize that my hip and waist measurements were way too big for the pattern until both pattern and fabric were bought...). I will say that, if you want to follow the pattern exactly, then you'll need your fabric to stretch as much as it calls for, but I think you knew that already ^_^; I don't know much about fabric, but I don't necessarily think that a stiffer fabric will make you look more 'shapely'. I think it would hang on you loser, but I don't think it would give the appearance of a different shape... does that make sense?
Yeahhh, I think I might be in a similar failboat. I've got some pros on this fabric: it makes me look ultra busty, lol. Okay, that's one pro. The cons: I've had to double it up because it's see-thru, and on the green pepper pattern, I stitched it backwards so that the armhole is the neckhole. I wondered why it wasn't fitting, and that's when I realized it's because I did it wrong, and that there is a seam in the back.

I don't know how that seam is going to look in the back, and I am really, really picky about details. I'm going to keep going and try and see how this looks, otherwise, I might just attempt at buying a leotard and building it up from there, because I don't have a lot of money to play around with. I am one to blow a couple hundred just on trial-and-erroring alone. >.<
erickste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #5869
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Well, so lately I was thinking about next years cosplays and realised they are both Sailor Moon. I've been thinking of doing Sera Myu Eternal Sailor Moon and Princess Serenity.
Right, since making my Neo Queen Serenity, I really like the pattern I used, but the fabric however...Not so much.

I did kind of liked the georgette that I used to go over the main skirt and *may* use it again. But what other material would look nice for the layers on top of the main skirt - I heard chiffon is nice to use. Also, I'd really like the main skirt underneath and the bodice to be made out of a matte fabric - so no satin this time (I used Crepe Satin) - what are some good matte fabrics to use? Apparently cotton isn't a great choice of fabric to use, so what is?

Sorry, I'm not used to asking questions but I would like my Serenity to be nice and crisp.
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #5870
benihime
Kimono Queen

gabardine might be a good choice, but I'm going to use casa satin. it's so beautiful and has a light shine ~

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #5871
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by benihime View Post
gabardine might be a good choice, but I'm going to use casa satin. it's so beautiful and has a light shine ~
I was wactually thinking about casa satin as a back up choice, I saw a cosplay today with that fabric and it looked gorgeous. But if not, I'll used Duchesse.

Unread 04-09-2011, 02:25 PM   #5872
Naffisnevercool

Quote:
Whoa, you made the third sleeve removable? That's awesome! One of the things that I find fascinating about cosplay is making it function-able and practical. The fact that you made it such that it's essentially 2 costumes in one, that's awesome! Especially the sleeves, how did you do that?
Basically I used Lynleigh's sleeve style but only creating two sleeve rolls. Then, using snaps, I created a third seperate roll and the sheer piece for the Super Sailor Mode. I have pictures to explain it a bit better than I could in a verbal sense.
Naffisnevercool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 02:34 PM   #5873
benihime
Kimono Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-Steffi-x View Post
I was wactually thinking about casa satin as a back up choice, I saw a cosplay today with that fabric and it looked gorgeous. But if not, I'll used Duchesse.
casa actually might be lighter, if that's what you're looking for!
here's an example of a costume I used casa on:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2597623/

i'm actually going to use casa for my sailor senshi outfit as well

WORKING ON
Haruka (idolm@ster 2)

NEXT CONVENTIONS
A-kon in Dallas, TX

WEBSITE
DEVIANTART FACEBOOK
TUMBLR

benihime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #5874
Emrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcpammc09 View Post
No one answered my question on the school uniform. How did you make the shirt? I would like to do both the Junior High and High School, summer and winter.
I would like to add that even though stiffer/thicker fabric might look better for school shirts (so they keep their shape better) a completely non-stretch fabric makes it hard to lift your arms if you follow a basic t-shirt pattern. You need something with at least a little bit of stretch, or accommodate with folds in the back like on men's dress shirts (but that would just look silly on a sailor uniform shirt...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickste View Post
I don't know how that seam is going to look in the back, and I am really, really picky about details. I'm going to keep going and try and see how this looks, otherwise, I might just attempt at buying a leotard and building it up from there, because I don't have a lot of money to play around with. I am one to blow a couple hundred just on trial-and-erroring alone. >.<
This is what the back looks like for the Green Pepper Pattern: Sailor Neptune

(It's a little puckery at the sides but that's because I made the leg elastic larger thinking it would be more comfortable, but it kind of kept it from keeping it's shape and the skirt kept riding up *gak*)

Most pictures aren't going to be from the back. This is the only picture I've got from the back, but I'd rather have one seam at the back than a noticeable one on the side.
Emrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #5875
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Quote:
Originally Posted by benihime View Post
casa actually might be lighter, if that's what you're looking for!
here's an example of a costume I used casa on:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2597623/

i'm actually going to use casa for my sailor senshi outfit as well
Such a pretty cosplay AND fabric *_*
I'm just not sure if my fabric store sells casa, but I can look - or order offline. Thanks for the suggestion!

Unread 04-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #5876
hollowchrist
oi, watch it spaceman.

I got my Scupley today in the mail! Time to try and sculpt. *channels what she learned in High School Art which sadly wasn't much*

super sailor chibi moon -- 85%
late but lucky (madness returns) -- planning

eBay | FaceBook | Marketplace
Add Me!
hollowchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #5877
RoseHanabira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naffisnevercool View Post
Basically I used Lynleigh's sleeve style but only creating two sleeve rolls. Then, using snaps, I created a third seperate roll and the sheer piece for the Super Sailor Mode. I have pictures to explain it a bit better than I could in a verbal sense.
Aahh, I see! Snaps FTW! Haha.

Oh! So you sewed the sleeves onto another piece of fabric for the under-bust seam? Very smart! I guess you sewed it on to your leotard then?

I started working on my collar today, YAY! Finally feeling like I'm getting work accomplished! I followed Lynleigh's tutorial and actually made a pattern because I suck at free-handing, haha. I used it and cut out the fabric today and pinned it, if I have time then I'll sew it all up tomorrow, too tired to get the sewing machine out of the car and all set up lol. (I'm so thankful Sailor Saturn doesn't have any ribbon to deal with, it makes things so much easier)
Unread 04-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #5878
YuffieK
RosieGaga

hey guys~ I have a question,
for the back of the seifuku, where the bow is, does the hip roll/top of the skirt come down to a point in the back just like the front, or is it just straight across...? I tried watching the transformation sequences and I still couldn't tell x_x lol

YuffieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #5879
RoseHanabira

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuffieK View Post
for the back of the seifuku, where the bow is, does the hip roll/top of the skirt come down to a point in the back just like the front, or is it just straight across...? I tried watching the transformation sequences and I still couldn't tell x_x lol
Not sure if it counts, but when Chibi Moon does her Moon Prism Power transformation, it looks like it comes to a point in the back (though it's not as sharp or deep as the one in the front?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7rDTzdBEm4 (high quality for this video is amazing!)

But since the bow is going to be covering it at the back anyway, I don't think it would matter too much. I'm considering making mine straight across at the back, just to make the bow attachment a little easier.
Unread 04-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #5880
Naffisnevercool

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuffieK View Post
It's a 'V' shape in the back as well but it looks like less of a dip than in the front. Forgive me for sounding perverted, but there's a tumblr dedicated to Sailor Moon Panty Shots and there are screencaps as well as pictures of how the resin figures are designed. (There are some ranchy cosplay pics too though - be warned x.x) That's how I figured it out when I was researching the shape...

Quote:
Aahh, I see! Snaps FTW! Haha.

Oh! So you sewed the sleeves onto another piece of fabric for the under-bust seam? Very smart! I guess you sewed it on to your leotard then?
The sleeves are sewn to the upper armor and I just pull that on like a shirt over the leotard actually. Layers - WOO!

Last edited by Naffisnevercool : 04-09-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Naffisnevercool is offline   Reply With Quote