Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-24-2011, 02:00 AM   #406
Nekko
Future Companion

I made cheese soup. A Canadian friend sent me her Moms recipe a few days ago so I decided to try it.

It was delicious! Cheese soup and ritz crackers mmmmmm.
Nekko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #407
LD-Shine
Doctor(not a bricklayer)

What?? Cheese soup?! It sounds magical! How come I've never heard of it?? *o*
Unread 04-24-2011, 02:52 AM   #408
Nekko
Future Companion

http://www.petesbroadwaycafe.com/upl...Soup_400x0.jpg

there are many recipes for it on teh googles. Kiki would send moose to attack me if I posted her moms recipe.
Nekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #409
SaskWhovian

I made an omelette and it was actually edible and didn't fall apart in the frying pan!

What? For me this is a HUGE culinary accomplishment.

DRAGON*CON 2011:
Captain Jack Harkness (Torchwood/Dr Who):100% Saturday and Sunday
Victor "Sully" Sullivan (Uncharted):100% Friday and Monday
FINALLY READY!
SaskWhovian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2011, 10:06 PM   #410
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Very nice. I'm unusually skilled with cooking eggs (not to mention, they're my all-time preferred breakfast and lunch item, and hell, not that uncommong for dinner, either), and I STILL can't pull off an omelette that isn't in pieces.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2011, 11:29 PM   #411
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

Oh hey, how did I miss this thread?

Um..I'm in culinary school so cooking is kinda my life at the moment. I have a practical exam tomorrow for it. I have to make chicken with roasted red pepper sauce, rice pilaf, a veggie dish (I'm going with steamed broccoli since it's my fave) and a five cut salad with a vinegrette.
And it all must be done in an hour and 15 minutes..lol

I'll be more than happy to share the recipes if any of that sounds yummy to you guys!
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #412
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskWhovian View Post
I made an omelette and it was actually edible and didn't fall apart in the frying pan!

I think that's a huge culinary accomplishment for anyone. More often than not my omelettes end up as egg/cheese/veggie scrambles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyabi- View Post
Um..I'm in culinary school so cooking is kinda my life at the moment. I have a practical exam tomorrow for it. I have to make chicken with roasted red pepper sauce, rice pilaf, a veggie dish (I'm going with steamed broccoli since it's my fave) and a five cut salad with a vinegrette.
And it all must be done in an hour and 15 minutes..lol

I'll be more than happy to share the recipes if any of that sounds yummy to you guys!
Sounds delicious. 1.25 hours though? O_O Good luck! And I'll repeat my question from a couple of posts back - what do I do with kale to make it edible?
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 05:07 PM   #413
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:

Kudos! I have never successfully executed an omelette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyabi- View Post
I love roasted red peppers in just about anything; please do share the recipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
And I'll repeat my question from a couple of posts back - what do I do with kale to make it edible?
Don't ask me: dark leafies and cruciferous vegetables are not my friends. If I ever used it I'd probably try shredding it and adding it raw to a coleslaw or something like that, but just thinking about cooked kale makes me kind of ill.

ETA: I picked up this cookbook on a whim today, and I've been skimming through it. Not gonna lie: I would straight up cook some of these recipes for us now, before the baby's even born.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison

Last edited by penny_dreadful : 04-25-2011 at 05:17 PM.
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #414
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Don't ask me: dark leafies and cruciferous vegetables are not my friends. If I ever used it I'd probably try shredding it and adding it raw to a coleslaw or something like that, but just thinking about cooked kale makes me kind of ill.

ETA: I picked up this cookbook on a whim today, and I've been skimming through it. Not gonna lie: I would straight up cook some of these recipes for us now, before the baby's even born.
I love most dark leafies and cruciferousies, but kale has beaten me. Oddly enough, I made slaw to have with dinner tonight, but not with kale. It's basic cabbage and carrots, but I also shredded half of a Granny Smith apple for some natural sweet/tartness. Added just a little low-fat mayo and cider vinegar. It's not the most OMG awesome slaw ever, but it's not bad!

I never fed either of the kids bottled baby food. There is lots of stuff that is easy to boil/mash/freeze and use as needed. Digging back into my aged memory.....I did mashed potatoes, yams, bananas, beets, zucchini, warm cereal (oatmeal-ish stuff, but there's a special kind for babies). Maybe other stuff too that I've forgotten about. They both slurped everything right down. Boy-type got picky at around two years old. Girl-type still will eat any vegetable or fruit you put in front of her.
Unread 04-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #415
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I imagine at some point, because I know myself and my propensity for not cooking if I can avoid it, our kids will eat food from a jar. Or a box. Or whatever these things are. I DON'T KNOW, IT LOOKS TASTY. I'd at least like to try, though, when I'm motivated enough, to feed them real and decent food I have made with my own hands (or with SV's hands, he can cook, too).

I've only tried one recipe from this book, since I am a fussy eater who doesn't get enough of her vegetables, and I admit it was pretty freaking delicious. It was a soup with pasta and turkey meatballs. I had to ignore that it's written by Seinfeld's wife and she makes it sound like OOH IT'S SO EASY when she doesn't have to, you know, go out and work 8 hours a day and whatnot, and all the patronizing tips from her barely-anonymous celebrity friends, but I'm willing to give the recipes themselves more of a chance. They're designed for older kids, of course, but in the meantime I can always taste test. Just in case.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 04-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #416
SaskWhovian

Truthfully I have just started to really eat vegetables in the past year or so. Before it was just "Ew! No! It's not meat I'm not touching it!!!" >.>

But now.. nom. Specially things like this thing here.

I love spinach lasagna soooooooooooo much. Lasagna itself is one of my favourite pasta based dishes, but for some reason I like this a lot more then meat lasagna. So much more.

DRAGON*CON 2011:
FINALLY READY!
Unread 04-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #417
Sakura Blizzard
Hoshi Hikaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekko View Post
I made cheese soup. A Canadian friend sent me her Moms recipe a few days ago so I decided to try it.

It was delicious! Cheese soup and ritz crackers mmmmmm.
you friend's mom is a god to my sister then. she loves anything cheese. even in ramen?

I live for sushi, noodles, spaghetti, tomatoes, onions, garlic, salad, dumplings. god I love them. I love them lots. Sashimi is love also.
Sakura Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 04:04 AM   #418
SaskWhovian

I had a cheese soup but it came in a can. Campbell's brand.

It was... edible. I added a ton of crackers though to give it some substance. Found out after that most people use it to add to dishes, like when cooking beef. I thought it was ok. Something from scratch might be 100x better though probably.

DRAGON*CON 2011:
FINALLY READY!
Unread 04-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #419
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Last night, feeling kind of queasy and needing something simple and comforting after reading all those baby recipes, I heated up some tomato-roasted pepper soup and added some cooked stelline pasta, then sprinkled crumbled feta on top. It hit the spot.

Tonight we're having pita sandwiches with hummus, cucumber, tomato, red onion, more feta, greens, and Greek vinaigrette. It doesn't sound very fancy, but hey, at least we're not getting take out or fast food. Again.
Unread 04-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #420
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Truthfully I have just started to really eat vegetables in the past year or so. Before it was just "Ew! No! It's not meat I'm not touching it!!!" >.>

But now.. nom. Specially things like this thing here.

I love spinach lasagna soooooooooooo much. Lasagna itself is one of my favourite pasta based dishes, but for some reason I like this a lot more then meat lasagna. So much more.
Don't know if this is your situation, but I think with a lot of folks in the US, they've never had vegetables that are prepared well. Canned vegetables? XP I think that frozen is o.k. for some things if you are putting them in a casserole (I'll use frozen corn or peas) but nothing is as good as fresh. I think that a lot of times vegetables are over cooked too. I like mine best when they still have a little crunch.

I also love veggie lasagna. Well, I love meat lasagna too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Tonight we're having pita sandwiches with hummus, cucumber, tomato, red onion, more feta, greens, and Greek vinaigrette. It doesn't sound very fancy, but hey, at least we're not getting take out or fast food. Again.
Simple is good. Sounds tasty to me.