Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Resident Evil

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
Captain Jack
CosBlade Founder

Special Tactics and Rescue Service (STARS)

I'd like to open the floor for discussion on all things STARS. Please only discuss STARS gear here, and feel free to post reference images and/or your STARS cosplay for feedback. I am working on a breakdown of each character, one at a time. I will list their gear, plus any other notes that seem useful. Please note I'm not doing your shopping for you. I'll explain what things are, and it's up to you to figure out how and where to get them.

Let's begin with a breakdown of the boss himself.

Albert Wesker
Alpha Team Captain

Wesker has a few specifics to his gear that a lot of cosplayers seem to struggle with. I'll try to cover each aspect of his costume in detail that isn't TL;DR, but I want to maintain some level of quality here so try not to get lost along the way.

First and foremost is Wesker's sunglasses. There isn't much to 'em. They're plain black, have somewhat rounded lenses, and are very dark. The closest models I've ever seen have been found at places like the .99 cent store. Seriously. Try to keep them simple. With these sunglasses, less is more. I recommend a metal frame, and no fancy crap.

Next up is his earpiece. It doesn't exist. Anybody who tells you otherwise is mistaken. It's close to some models, but there is no perfect model. You can get some good results by customizing one though. For mine, I took a simple headset from an old portable CD player, painted over the logo, and used a cut of black cable cord (the kind that hooks TV's into the cable outlet in your wall) and a mini microphone with the foam cover taken off. Does it function? Not at all. Does it look right? Absolutely.

Wesker wears a white t-shirt under his uniform shirt. I'd imagine it has a STARS patch on the left shoulder, but this tiny detail won't be seen unless you want to layer your costume. Any plain Hanes or similar cheap white t-shirt will work.

Wesker's uniform shirt is navy blue in color. A navy blue BDU shirt will work, or even just a navy blue button up dress shirt, but in actuality Wesker's shirt is probably a Police shirt like this one:

Keep in mind you won't really see the details unless, again, you're layering (i.e. want to look the part even without the vest.) There is a STARS patch on the left shoulder, one inch below the shoulder seam. The patch is black in the Resident Evil remake, but it's blue in both the original and in his STARS costume in Resident Evil 5. I suggest going with whatever your group is going with (assuming you have one.)

Wesker's vest is a M69 flak vest with no collar, and dyed gray. You may have some luck if you find a replica M69 vest, dye it, and cut off the collar, but it may save you time and money just to buy a replica or have one commissioned. Don't forget to put the white STARS lettering on the back!

Over Wesker's vest, he wears a black h-harness with a handcuff pouch, double pistol mag. pouch, and radio pouch, all of which are made of black nylon (or cordura). The pistol mag. pouches have buckles on them, and the radio pouch is open top with a snap closure. The pouches generally have to be jerry rigged into position with tape or by some similar means. The radio itself is probably an ICOM model of some sort, as you can see an orange screen on the front and it has a short but thick antenna.

Holding the h-harness in place is a 2" nylon web belt with a snap release parachute buckle. Wesker's is like the one here (the 5th one in the top row):

These buckles aren't easy to find, but you may get lucky in a military surplus store or by hunting around a lot on the internet. The belt is worn in the middle of the abdomen, a few inches above the bottom of the vest.

Wesker wears the standard issue STARS gloves, which are Hatch Reactor gloves:

It should be noted that these exact gloves are nearly impossible to find anymore. Most retailers now carry the new Hatch Reactor model, which looks a little bit different:

If this is an acceptable trade for you, then you're set. They're easy to find and not badly priced for the quality they are. (It should also be noted that he wears an entirely different pair in Resident Evil 5. I haven't yet identified them.

To make the gloves look right, you'll need to wear black wristbands like these McDavid ones, which I use and they work great (the logo scrapes off easily):

Wesker wears a wristwatch over his left wristband. Here is what his looks like up close and personal. This one is a rare Japanese replica that you probably couldn't find without offing somebody. However, it's simple enough in design to find something close.

From there, things get pretty simple. He wears a black nylon duty belt, probably 1.5" but 2" is both more common (thus easier to find) and more durable. He wears a generic "quick release" thigh holster with a single strap. The actual model does exist, but I've exceeded my alloted number of images, so just check some airsoft retailers and you'll find it. It'll have two straps, but just take off the bottom one and you're good to go.

He wears black BDU pants, which are bloused at the bottom using boot bands.

Lastly, he wears 8-hole duty belts (which are a hybrid of nylon and leather, MANY retailers carry these in various brands.)

That covers everything you need for a Wesker costume. I'll have another post later on his custom Samurai Edge.

Official Rum Party Website:
http://www.piraterumparty.com

Last edited by Captain Jack : 04-27-2011 at 08:39 PM.
Captain Jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Leadmill
Looks good in uniform...

SPF here, STARS are losers! :P

Current Cosplay Projects
Nights Watch Brother (Game of Thrones) - 70%
Shy Guy (Mario Warfare) - 90%
Leadmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Badass_Badger

BSAA fo' life.

okay, would it be possible to paint nylon tactical parts (molle, straps, etc.) which are needed for stars outfits?

Last edited by Badass_Badger : 04-27-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Badass_Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Captain Jack
CosBlade Founder

Would you guys mind either editing your posts to have something productive in them, or not posting mindless nonsense anymore? There's a reason our last TWO GENERAL THREADS have been locked.

This spot reserved for the next part of the guide.

Unread 04-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Pincer
LEAGUE OF DIRTY OLD MEN

Jack: One place for the buckles is www.strapworks.com. They have several different types and I believe they have a few of those shown in your pic post.

Defender of Claires worldwide from creepy Leons. (big inside joke, needed to be there for the experience!!)

I Claim King From Tekken!

The Resident Evil Cosplay Thread!! -- Reaks of retarded fun!
Pincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
Sex_Robot
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadmill View Post
SPF can suck it! UBCS all the way!

I'm going to start on a UBCS, both movie and film, tutorial later tonight if no one objects.
Sex_Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 11:40 PM   #7
Captain Jack
CosBlade Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sex_Robot View Post
SPF can suck it! UBCS all the way!

I'm going to start on a UBCS, both movie and film, tutorial later tonight if no one objects.
If you want to, just make an appropriate thread and don't do it in this one. This thread is for STARS only.

Looking forward to seeing it, though.

Unread 05-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #8
Captain Scarlet
Full Throttle rocks

Can the next post be about Jill ?!

I am doing her STARS uniform (with the beret) for Anime North which is a Canadian con and Im fully willing to contribute to this thread.
Unread 05-11-2011, 04:07 AM   #9
Captain Jack
CosBlade Founder

I'll work on either Jill or Chris next. Just have to compile some notes and I'll put it up.

Unread 05-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #10
I-Is-Valentine
donte is a ass-hole-omeo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadmill View Post
yes and also S.T.A.R.S stands for stoopid tools and rape service :P lol
and also for jill for re3 it is probably the easiest thing to cosplay, as i found everything at a goodwill!

my name is donte. *real dante whooshing in to kill baddddddd donte*

... I want banana's on my waffles!

Dante is hawt! Need i say more?
I-Is-Valentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
Lady Muramasa
The Angry Cosplayer

Ugh! I lost the name of the font that is used for the STARS lettering. Does anyone have the font name??
Lady Muramasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #12
R1KKu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Muramasa View Post
Ugh! I lost the name of the font that is used for the STARS lettering. Does anyone have the font name??
Wasnt it close to one of the Lucida family fonts????

Id like to know for sure as well; I want to remake a shirt since the one I bought shrunk on me....amd I might actually have time to get around to it.
R1KKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
Lady Muramasa
The Angry Cosplayer

I have no memory of it. I guess i could back track through all the pages on the closed thread. Someone there had the font name exact when i googled it it was spot on. But i forgot to save it.
Unread 05-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #14
R1KKu

Just found it... its Lithos Pro.

Here's the post.
http://www.cosplay.com/showpost.php?...ostcount=13787
R1KKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 12:06 AM   #15
Lady Muramasa
The Angry Cosplayer

^ aha! That is it! Good find good find!