Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Street Fighter

Unread 05-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Kenjin
Karateka

Street Fighter (going the extra mile)

I was working on my Ken costume when I got to thinking about how simple the overall design is, and how I may be able to stand out from all the other Kens out there.

I began to wonder. If Ken were real, what would he really look like?
I decided to take things beyond the game by adding small and subtle details that the designers would probably would added if they ever decided to make another live-action film. (If they do, Gods, let it be done right.)

So far I have:

Added a silver engagement/wedding band
(Signifying his engagement/marriage to Eliza)

And having a kanji embroidered into his gloves.

Has anyone else considered taking small licences to spice up their SF cosplay? What did you do?

Also, any suggestions for my Ken cosplay would be GREATLY appreciated!

Last edited by Kenjin : 05-04-2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: grammar error
Kenjin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2011, 03:49 AM   #2
tron101

Personally I think its very good to see someone going the extra mile with Ken I've sen plenty of Ken/Ryu that probably took all of 10 minutes to do but, I've also seen a few good pictures of them done right. In setting yourself apart from the rest you probably would need first off do the hair/costume completely right and maybe bring some sort of prop like a fb or srk. Cardboard cutout hadu or somthing?
tron101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Kenjin
Karateka

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron101 View Post
Personally I think its very good to see someone going the extra mile with Ken I've sen plenty of Ken/Ryu that probably took all of 10 minutes to do but, I've also seen a few good pictures of them done right. In setting yourself apart from the rest you probably would need first off do the hair/costume completely right and maybe bring some sort of prop like a fb or srk. Cardboard cutout hadu or somthing?
Actually, prop making is definitely my strong point.
Maybe a colored plexiglass hadoken, illuminated with LEDs or EL wire? Attached to a wire to give the illusion of it being in the air?
Or perhaps a shinryuken illuminated the same way? With a strap on the back to put my hand through?
Unread 05-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
PsychoShinobi

If you havent seen street fighter legacy, you should check it out...pretty legit looking ken and ryu. Heres the link to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ZXSzaUIBQ

Setting yourself apart from other ken and ryus that make their costumes in like 10 minutes is pretty easy, just hit the gym and get big/cut, you don't have to get too big just enough to give off the Ken vibe and for like a hadouken you could also walk around with one of those mixed blue/white balls for kids they sell at stores for $1
PsychoShinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Kenjin
Karateka

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoShinobi View Post
If you havent seen street fighter legacy, you should check it out...pretty legit looking ken and ryu. Heres the link to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ZXSzaUIBQ

Setting yourself apart from other ken and ryus that make their costumes in like 10 minutes is pretty easy, just hit the gym and get big/cut, you don't have to get too big just enough to give off the Ken vibe and for like a hadouken you could also walk around with one of those mixed blue/white balls for kids they sell at stores for $1
Thanks, fortunately the muscle shouldn't be too big a hurdle since I take Mixed Martial Arts instruction. Weight lifting is a required part of the training. Also, my trainer is also my roommate, he will never let me be lazy. Lol.

I've seen the SF Legacy videos, I love them and they were the first things I turned to when I considered cosplaying Ken.
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #6
coffeebeat

Awww, I LOVE the wedding band idea! XD Also a good hadoken prop would be awesome. I have been trying to think of how to make a kikoken prop for my Chun Li, but every idea I can think of I feel wouldnt translate well. X(
coffeebeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
Kenjin
Karateka

I actually just saw his actual ring . It's gold with a single, small diamond inlaid in the band.

As for your Kikoken, I would recommend taking 2 balls, 1 large Orange/yellow, 1small blue/white. Then hot glue them together.
Then just cover parts of them in blue and white silk essence to create the "flames" I suppose craft wire could be used to create a "skeleton" to which the silk essence can be attached.

If that doesn't work, I'm sure I can help you figure something else out that may work .
Unread 06-17-2011, 12:05 AM   #8
Koona K.
Soldier of Chaos

Definitely love the wedding band idea. I totally forgot about that! I would absolutely work on the hair since I've seen a few that just go with their hair just down and it look like their homeless. lol. Also! If you could exaggerate the eyebrows I would love you forever! It's such a subtle thing that most ignore b/c it may look ridiculous but I get so happy when someone goes the extra mile to do it. Just a thought.
Unread 06-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #9
Kenjin
Karateka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koona K. View Post
Definitely love the wedding band idea. I totally forgot about that! I would absolutely work on the hair since I've seen a few that just go with their hair just down and it look like their homeless. lol. Also! If you could exaggerate the eyebrows I would love you forever! It's such a subtle thing that most ignore b/c it may look ridiculous but I get so happy when someone goes the extra mile to do it. Just a thought.
Thanks Koona! You're an amazing Cammy! And I can only hope that I can make my Ken to the calibur of your costume.

I am definitely doing the eyebrows. If anybody finds them awkward, I'll just play off with some trademark Ken swagger lol. My eyebrows are pretty crazy to begin with (you can kinda see them in my profile pic), so they should just take a little tweaking. Lol.

I'm officially finished the pants, gloves and belt. And I'm currently modifying the gi jacket for a better fit.

I've yet to acquire the ring, but its on my list.

I'll try to post some progress pics soon.

Also, I'm not sure how I should wear my hair.. So, I'm putting it to a vote!
Just post stating whether I should have long hair (alpha Ken) or short hair (1,2,3,4. Etc.)

Thanks everyone! For your comments and encouragement!

Last edited by Kenjin : 06-25-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Unread 08-31-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
Kaneda99
Delinquent ;)

Do shorter hair Ken if you can get that balance of volume and wildness he has. Lots of Kens I've seen have really flat hair or a bad wig. Ponytail Ken would work too, but then the idea with the wedding band kind of goes out the window since he's younger in his Alpha days and not married.

Might be unsure about how it'll work, but can the band be seen underneath the gloves?
Kaneda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #11
Tomlo53
Banned

Yes i think you all are to right this is totally good and also having a great fun while playing this game....
Tomlo53 is offline   Reply With Quote