Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #481
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Went to red lobster for dinner. Ohhhhh yeah.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-06-2011, 01:22 AM   #482
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

My boyfriend grilled out today and I had a delicious burger with smoked gouda cheese and chipotle mayo. Food heaven!
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #483
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyabi- View Post
...burger with smoked gouda cheese and chipotle mayo. Food heaven!
That sounds, so, so delicious.

Even though it was Cinco de Mayo yesterday, I made Korean food for dinner. :/ Nothing fancy - just lots of vegetables (no mandu - too much work for a weeknight) and grilled tofu marinated a la bulgogi instead of beef because I'm a hippie, uh, I mean, I'm trying to eat healthy.

Last edited by The Hag : 05-06-2011 at 08:06 AM.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #484
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
That sounds, so, so delicious.

Even though it was Cinco de Mayo yesterday, I made Korean food for dinner. :/ Nothing fancy - just lots of vegetables (no mandu - too much work for a weeknight) and grilled tofu marinated a la bulgogi instead of beef because I'm a hippie, uh, I mean, I'm trying to eat healthy.
We wound up going to an Irish pub for dinner, since even the Puerto Rican, Colombian, Peruvian, etc. restaurants had lines out the door. Actually, most places were pretty packed. Especially if they had bars. Ah, ethnic pride celebrations that turn into nationwide excuses to get blotto.

I'm determined to get some Mexican food, though. ONE OF THESE DAYS.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #485
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Diet starts tomorrow.
I know I'm not fat or anything. But it's that whole, "Lose five lbs before the convention!" thing.

I won't be happy, necessarily, but I'll look manlier.

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 02:16 PM   #486
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Funny, IN Mexico, Cinco de mayo is a pretty minor holiday only celebrated in a few parts of the country (a lot of people seem to think it's the Mexican independence day, which it isn't). USA's and Mexico's versions of it are so massively different they might as well be different holidays alltogether.

...that stated, I can't stand Mexican food, ingredient, taste or digestion-wise, so I wouldn't be celebrating with it anyway.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
Unread 05-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #487
Pocketfightr
Merc who grants wishes

We had mock enchiladas last night for dinner, that's as close as we were to celebrating it. (We hadn't had it in a while anyway, so it was due.)
Nene (Bubblegum Crisis) -eventually?

2014 Cons:
Detour
Acen
Dragon*Con
Nebraskon
Pocketfightr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #488
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Funny, IN Mexico, Cinco de mayo is a pretty minor holiday only celebrated in a few parts of the country (a lot of people seem to think it's the Mexican independence day, which it isn't). USA's and Mexico's versions of it are so massively different they might as well be different holidays alltogether.

...that stated, I can't stand Mexican food, ingredient, taste or digestion-wise, so I wouldn't be celebrating with it anyway.
I was just reading about that: it's really only significant in Mexico to commemorate victory over the French in the Battle of Puebla. Of course, once you get to the U.S. and are compelled to begin an ethnic pride celebration, you pick pretty much anything to base it around-- minor saints, genocidal conquistadors-- at least the Germans cut right to the chase with the beer and sausage. And then it gets coopted by all the WASPs who were oppressing you in the first place so they have yet another excuse to get drunk. AMURICA.

Seriously, though-- no Mexican food? ANY of it? Aw, man. I love Latin food in general. Well, you know. Food, in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketfightr View Post
We had mock enchiladas last night for dinner, that's as close as we were to celebrating it. (We hadn't had it in a while anyway, so it was due.)
What is a mock enchilada? Is it anything like a walking taco?
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 05-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #489
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketfightr View Post
Mock enchilada?
What is this thing of which you speak?

Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Various rockstars
Unread 05-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #490
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

The only thing I can ever manage is soft tacos, BUT not made with any spices, and ground chicken in place of ground beef. So it doesn't really count.

My food loves are mostly French and South Asian- Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian, etc.- here (though go figure, I can't stand spice and shrimp, and they're allll over south asian cuisine. Makes it a bit difficult at times, but anything else i've had minus the two ingredients was awesome stuff.)
I also have a Jamaican neighbour downstairs who makes some freaking awesome jerk chicken.
Unread 05-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #491
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Does jerk chicken mock enchilada? *rimshot*

If it's Friday, it must be pizza night!
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #492
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

I love, love, LOVE Mexican food!
I'm actually not a HUGE fan of Asian foods, though I do love Vietnamese. My choices are very limited though, because I only eat poultry and fish, not including shellfish. Asian foods tend to use a lot of pork and seafood When I have sushi, I pretty much stick to the cucumber roll. lol
Besides Mexican, I really love Italian food. Mmmmmmm pasta! I'm a pasta FIEND. Also, Cajun. I could eat blackened Cajun chicken until my stomach explodes!

And pizza of course. I eat way too much pizza.
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #493
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Does jerk chicken mock enchilada? *rimshot*

If it's Friday, it must be pizza night!
SNORT.

Tuesday is pizza day. Tonight we're having takeout burritos and enchiladas. YAY SENSIBLE CHOICES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyhrah View Post
I love, love, LOVE Mexican food!
I'm actually not a HUGE fan of Asian foods, though I do love Vietnamese. My choices are very limited though, because I only eat poultry and fish, not including shellfish. Asian foods tend to use a lot of pork and seafood When I have sushi, I pretty much stick to the cucumber roll. lol
Besides Mexican, I really love Italian food. Mmmmmmm pasta! I'm a pasta FIEND. Also, Cajun. I could eat blackened Cajun chicken until my stomach explodes!

And pizza of course. I eat way too much pizza.
TOO MUCH DELICIOUS FOODS. Being so picky, there's a lot I won't eat, but as far as different cuisines go, I find the flavors all interesting and exciting. I have a pretty high spice tolerance, so spicy cuisines are cool with me. I like trying new flavors from around the world, but I also like to be able to identify the contents. I confess that I'm also not as big into Asian cuisines as I might be; it just seems like I rarely find myself in the mood. Probably because they tend to be, you know, healthy. Oh, my greasy, fatty, sugary, deep-fried American palate.

Some of my extended family is Romanian, and at Easter someone brought "a traditional Romanian Easter dish", which seemed to be some kind of meat loaf or pate. Wanting to be polite, I tried a little slice. It wasn't... bad, I guess, but anytime someone asked what was in it the response was "Just try it. If you don't like it, you don't have to eat it." I tried really, really hard not to think about what it might have been and finished my slice. While I don't like a lot of vegetables, if I'm eating an unidentified vegetable I don't really care because it's just plants. If I'm eating a meat product, I prefer to know EXACTLY what animal(s) it comes from, EXACTLY what part of the animal is used, and EXACTLY how it's prepared. Really, I should just suck it up and become a vegetarian.

ETA: Out of morbid curiosity, I Googled "traditional Romanian Easter foods", and I think what I ate was drob de miel-- the closest common equivalent would be haggis. Yep. Lamb organs (liver, heart, lungs) minced with seasoning, stuffed in a lamb caul, and baked. Now I'm glad they didn't say what was in it, because I think Grandma Sylvia would've been really insulted when I threw up all over the living room.

Last edited by penny_dreadful : 05-06-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #494
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Really, I should just suck it up and become a vegetarian.
It's really not that different if you don't like meat in the first place. *Shrug*.

Various rockstars
Unread 05-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #495
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
SNORT.

Tuesday is pizza day. Tonight we're having takeout burritos and enchiladas. YAY SENSIBLE CHOICES.

TOO MUCH DELICIOUS FOODS. Being so picky, there's a lot I won't eat, but as far as different cuisines go, I find the flavors all interesting and exciting. I have a pretty high spice tolerance, so spicy cuisines are cool with me. I like trying new flavors from around the world, but I also like to be able to identify the contents. I confess that I'm also not as big into Asian cuisines as I might be; it just seems like I rarely find myself in the mood. Probably because they tend to be, you know, healthy. Oh, my greasy, fatty, sugary, deep-fried American palate.

Some of my extended family is Romanian, and at Easter someone brought "a traditional Romanian Easter dish", which seemed to be some kind of meat loaf or pate. Wanting to be polite, I tried a little slice. It wasn't... bad, I guess, but anytime someone asked what was in it the response was "Just try it. If you don't like it, you don't have to eat it." I tried really, really hard not to think about what it might have been and finished my slice. While I don't like a lot of vegetables, if I'm eating an unidentified vegetable I don't really care because it's just plants. If I'm eating a meat product, I prefer to know EXACTLY what animal(s) it comes from, EXACTLY what part of the animal is used, and EXACTLY how it's prepared. Really, I should just suck it up and become a vegetarian.
I'm pretty much willing to try almost anything once as long as I know what it is, because I do have some dietary restrictions, and I'd rather not get sick XD

I was actually a vegetarian for about four years, but I wasn't getting enough protein or iron in my diet and I was tired and sick all the time, so I started eating poultry and fish again. I don't really like pork, so I still don't eat it, and beef sits too heavily in my stomach. I don't digest it properly, so I don't eat that either. But even to this day, I prefer vegetarian dishes.
Except when it comes to Mexican. Throw a spicy chicken fajita, taco, or burrito at me, and I'll devour it XD