Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 05-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #16
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuki Eiri View Post
I'm going to have to agree with this. Do your research before getting a commission from someone! The commissioner review thread [and heck, this forum in general] is here for that reason, so that people are aware of who you should and should not take commissions from.
As been stated, even research is starting to fail. Sutie and Loserific and even cosplaymandy have good reviews. A few other commissioners do too -- perfect even, such as JD. Research all you want, but the majority of these reviews come up positive, yet customers are having issues with the commissioners with next to flawless ratings...and now, well now there are three or so people having problems. Hopefully, these commissioners aren't turning into scammers, but it sure looks that way (not all listed, please do not think that). I wouldn't stay completely away from commissioners here, in fact, I always commission here, however it becomes harder to rely on this site as a whole due to the supposed top notch commissioners and their sudden lack of delivering cosplays and keeping in contact. There are still great commissioners out there, no doubt. I think in general, the rant is saying that now it's difficult to know who to trust or commission from when so many commissioners whom have great reviews are now not meeting those expectations.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #17
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
I would rather pay a comissioner $200 more and wait 3 months for the same costume with the knowledge that it won't fall apart after one wear, come out transparent or have hideous sequined trim or cheap lace that wasn't included on the preview photos. -But only if I get it on time.-
^This so hard.

I have just yet to find a commissioner who does that. Never on time, or is a scammer, etc. *sigh*

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 01:27 AM   #18
sjxkhr

Well, I e-mailed Loserific on Wednesday and got a reply back from her just now. (Actually, I told her that I ABSOLUTELY needed it by the deadline, along with progress shots each week as well as a tracking number when shipping it.) She sent me a schedule, which pretty much breaks down how every week is going to go (getting the patterns done the 1st week, the fabric down by the 2nd, etc.). She also gave me specific dates as to when to expect the pictures and promised that it will be sent with tracking.

I hope everything goes well for me and for you guys too. ><
Takasugi Shinsuke - Gintama

Feel free to follow my cosplay page!
sjxkhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 01:54 AM   #19
Axelai
I'm Awesome

^Funny how she responded to you, and hasn't responded to me 8| /sigh

Unread 05-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #20
quizbowler

I'm just disgusted that there's literally nothing I can do to get my money back at this point. I thought I was the one being generous by not getting upset about my deadline being missed, but instead I'm probably just being scammed, and my patience is just ending up getting me screwed out of money.
quizbowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #21
koi-ishly
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabycakes View Post
As been stated, even research is starting to fail. Sutie and Loserific and even cosplaymandy have good reviews. A few other commissioners do too -- perfect even, such as JD. Research all you want, but the majority of these reviews come up positive, yet customers are having issues with the commissioners with next to flawless ratings...and now, well now there are three or so people having problems. *snip* I think in general, the rant is saying that now it's difficult to know who to trust or commission from when so many commissioners whom have great reviews are now not meeting those expectations.
I agree with this. I ordered from a trusted commissioner, twice. The first experience was great. The 2nd experience was not up to par with the first. While it was worked out through some effort on my part, it should not be the job of the person who requested a commission to hunt down the commissioner to get what they payed for. It goes to show you that this is an "at your own risk" business when in reality it shouldn't be.

I understand that these are human beings with lives and issues that are putting time an effort into making our requests... but there is a huge difference when that interferes with the business. Or if there is a severe issue, then it must be communicated and things can be dealt with from there.

I'm not saying this to stop people from commissioning, but I doubt I will do it again. I do think that this is a good warning for those that take commissions to take this more seriously.
koi-ishly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #22
Yuki Eiri
Sweet sweet Valentine

What I'm thinking this is is people's efforts to make up for the rising cost in living. Just a theory, but people are putting more-- Too much on their plate in order to get by, because perhaps they lost their job, or they had to make cutbacks elsewhere, and are drowning in commissions as a result..

Or they just don't know good time-management. Like I said, I haven't gotten enough commissions to have to worry about that sort of thing. Then again, I just make props and armor so huge, intricate costumes don't really come my way. XD
Unread 05-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #23
StHoly

i'm sorry that you have to go through this.. i know how it feels!! it's absolutely horrible that these commissioners are taking money and not even starting their commissions..
i have had that, and now i'm pretty strict on progress pictures..
no progress pictures.. no money will be given.. (of course there will be exception..)

i've even had this payment plan.. by pay 1/3 at a time, 2nd of third will be due when i get the progress pics.. and lastly it will be when the commissioner is going to ship the costume to me..
of course, after certain incident, i've kinda left the cosplay.com community for a while.. loosing about more than half a thousand to the comissionner is pretty tough to deal with.. (problem is, the money is given by my parents! and i didn't get the $$$ myself.. )

this is my third time commissionin and i hope it ends well~ did i mention? my first time commissioning from cosplay.com was absolutely AMAZING!! though that person is not really a forummer over here in cosplay.com.

OniCon X (Galveston)
Summoner Yuna FFX
Tifa Lockhart FFVII AC
Ikki Con 2013 (Austin)
Summoner Yuna FFX
Tifa Lockhart FFVIIAC
Esther Blanchett Empire Version Trinity Blood
Anime Matsuri 2014 (Houston)
Gunner Yuna FFX-2
Summoner Yuna FFX
StHoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #24
Axelai
I'm Awesome

It sucks because since Loserific was horrid with progress pictures... she screwed up the costume in a part (that could have been EASILY avoided had she asked me my opinion, or showed me progress pix).

This is why I hate commissions.

Unread 05-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #25
Bitter
Certified Loli Trap

Honestly, the best way to avoid being scammed is to investigate your commissioner JUST prior to commissioning them. Look at their reviews, then come into this section and investigate. Check to see if anyone has had any recent transactions with the commissioner. Even if they had positive reviews six months ago, they could have changed the way they do business. Perhaps they're behind in their commissions for some reason or suddenly stopped responding, but asking around just prior to commissioning them is always the best way to avoid being scammed. I have to thank Axelai and a few other people here for giving me the heads up on the Loserific situation, otherwise I would currently be in the same boat. Her positive reviews are very misleading and while it looks like she's done wonderful work in the past, unfortunately it seems like that quality and work ethic isn't holding true at the present.
I have more, but everything's up in the air at the moment.

Next Cons: AnimeNext, Otakon
Bitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #26
Aces

Same thing is currently happening to me. I didn't mind having to put so much money down, but the commissioner is literally taking her time and never responding to anything I ask her. Its been nearly 2 months since I set up this commission, and I need it for AnimeNEXT. As far as I know, it has yet to be started.
Aces is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #27
Pudding-chan

ARGH! Stuff like this upsets me so much!

Commissioners like this give all commissioners a bad name! Some of them are very honest, hard working people, but because some of them act like this, people are weary of commissioning them. I know I am.

As a commissioner myself, I would never take on a project that I know is out of my capabilities, which I think a lot of commissioners do (optimistically believing that they can do it). Also, some of them just have bad customer service. My family owns a business, and if we treated our customers like this, we would go out of business!
Pudding-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #28
dizzylizzy
I sew things

Me personally as a commissioner:

I open in January for the year. From there, people email me. I receive over a hundred emails a month (and honestly, I'm probably low-balling that number). I require a downpayment to secure a slot for commissioning. I then remove that calendar slot because it is taken for a commission. I'm able to track what commissions are set and ready to go and ones that were just an inquiry.

Because I'm a desired commissioner (I suppose), my calendar/slots will fill up fast. Right now, I'm booked until October. Yes, I have the downpayments and yes I have a schedule of when to start/finish commissions. The money stays in my PP account until it is needed. Usually materials, especially wigs, are bought on-line.

I know there are some jerks out there, but then there is someone like myself with good ratings and a system that works for myself and the costumer.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dizzy...49665061805445
dizzylizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 07:19 AM   #29
KnightJeran
Calling Major Tom

I get what you're saying. My friend has paid for a wig to be styled, and then it took soooo long, when we reminded her, she's like "oh, I totally forgot!" and did it all in a night with a wig that she had lying around and shipped it. It was awful. Especially when she said we'd meet at a con and I looked for her for HOURS. I mean, she could have let me know that she wasn't done so I didn't waste my time. Stupid last minute peoples.....

2013: Dean Winchester/Castiel/Sherlock/Kitty Riley/Rainbow Dash/Spike/Timmy Turner/Canada/Fai/Kraehe

My Cosplays +++ My Cosplay DeviantArt +++ My Art DeviantArt +++ My Marketplace Ads
KnightJeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #30
Moonsong
daughter of evil

I'm going to have to agree with everything stated. I've recently had similar experiences with commissioners on here, and needless to say I am not pleased. I should not have to badger you for progress pics, or even updates in general. I should not be ignored 9 times out of 10 that I send you an IM.

Three friends of mine are currently going through the same issue with a commissioner that came extremely highly recommended. Bare bones communication, no progress pictures, and there are about three weeks left until the convention and they still don't have their costumes. It's really shameful.

If you can't commit to the service you promised to provide, for ANY reason, you need to grow a pair, refund the person, and suck it up instead of stringing them along and hoping you can get it done in time.

On hiatus until 2015.

★Saber EXTRA - 100% complete
★Rachel Alucard (Blazblue) - 100% complete

Moonsong is offline   Reply With Quote