Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #526
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I'm having a craving for goat cheese right now. I'm not even that hungry.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #527
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
Every Mexican dish I've ever had has been spicy. As I said, I'm sensitive to it, so what is spicy to me may not be spicy to you. Everytime I'm dragged to the Mexican restaurant I can't find a single item on the menu I can eat. When it comes to Mexican cuisine the only good thing to come from is margaritas.
Doesn't really seem fair to me to write off an entire cuisine as "bland" or "spicy" or "greasy" or what have you, because it's almost universally untrue for pretty much any cuisine people make assumptions about. Maybe the only kind you've found is too spicy for your taste, but you probably need to expand your familiarity with Mexican cooking. I just went through one of my Mexican cookbooks, and easily 2/3 of the recipes had either no chiles or could be made without them. It's fine if Mexican food is not your thing, whatever, but the argument that it's reliant on "spiciness" is moot. Certainly there is more to Mexican cuisine than its contribution to the world of cocktails.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #528
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Doesn't really seem fair to me to write off an entire cuisine as "bland" or "spicy" or "greasy" or what have you, because it's almost universally untrue for pretty much any cuisine people make assumptions about. Maybe the only kind you've found is too spicy for your taste, but you probably need to expand your familiarity with Mexican cooking. I just went through one of my Mexican cookbooks, and easily 2/3 of the recipes had either no chiles or could be made without them. It's fine if Mexican food is not your thing, whatever, but the argument that it's reliant on "spiciness" is moot. Certainly there is more to Mexican cuisine than its contribution to the world of cocktails.
Indeed. I can think of at least one Mexican food that is not spicy: a tortilla.

Dude, if you give it a chance, you can totally eat Mexican food. Just get a tortilla, smear some refried beans (also not spicy) on it, roll it up, and there you go! Bean burrito!

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #529
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quesadilla? Guacamole?

Today I made oatmeal cookies with craisins, walnuts and dark chocolate chips. For dinner I'm trying a new stir fry recipe that uses an apricot and peanut butter sauce.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #530
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Yeah. When i go to places where even non spicy food is kinda spicy i just say to the waiter "As you can see, i'm really white. I consider mild tostidos sauce spicy. What can I handle?" and they grin and point out what i should try.

I'm such a baby.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #531
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora88 View Post
Indeed. I can think of at least one Mexican food that is not spicy: a tortilla.

Dude, if you give it a chance, you can totally eat Mexican food. Just get a tortilla, smear some refried beans (also not spicy) on it, roll it up, and there you go! Bean burrito!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Quesadilla? Guacamole?
This is exactly what I'm talking about the universe shoving Mexican food in my face. I hate beans as well. Quesadillas contain spicy cheeses and I hate avocados so it causes me to hate guacamole as well. People can seem to accept that I hate this stuff and try to force it on me. Like I mentioned before I had some people say "You're such a racist for hating my food."

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Unread 05-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #532
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
"As you can see, i'm really white."

It's just, you know, not the first time I've heard someone talking about Mexican food being too spicy, but-- so many cultures around the world feature chile peppers and other "hot" foods predominantly in their cuisine. No one ever really complains about them, with the exception of maybe Indian food-- also a serious misrepresentation, since there are a ton of delicious foods in Indian cuisine that are traditionally very mild. I wonder if it's the "spiciness" that people are really opposed to.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
Unread 05-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #533
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
This is exactly what I'm talking about the universe shoving Mexican food in my face. I hate beans as well. Quesadillas contain spicy cheeses and I hate avocados so it causes me to hate guacamole as well. People can seem to accept that I hate this stuff and try to force it on me. Like I mentioned before I had some people say "You're such a racist for hating my food."
It has nothing to do with race. You just have one of those people with terribly bland palates. I don't feel frustration or annoyance. Just pity.

Quote:
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #534
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
It has nothing to do with race. You just have one of those people with terribly bland palates. I don't feel frustration or annoyance. Just pity.
Such a cold reading. The only thing I ever mentioned liking is goat cheese. You don't know what I eat so saying I have a bland palate is jumping the gun completely.

Unread 05-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #535
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Such a cold reading. The only thing I ever mentioned liking is goat cheese. You don't know what I eat so saying I have a bland palate is jumping the gun completely.
I'm just going with your hatred of Mexican food. If you offer up some spicy or sultry dishes you enjoy a examples, I'll retract my statement.

Quote:
Quote:
Especishillly you sam.
Unread 05-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #536
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
I'm just going with your hatred of Mexican food. If you offer up some spicy or sultry dishes you enjoy a examples, I'll retract my statement.
That's pretty dumb, my tongue can't handle spicy things as I mentioned. That doesn't make my palette bland because there are more types of tastes than just spicy and bland.

Unread 05-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #537
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
That's pretty dumb, my tongue can't handle spicy things as I mentioned. That doesn't make my palette bland because there are more types of tastes than just spicy and bland.
Hence my use of the word "sultry." I was trying be generous and give you the benefit of the doubt, since you also said you hated beans and ruled them out entirely.

All right then, here's a question with no extra wordage to read into: what foods do you like?

Quote:
Quote:
Especishillly you sam.
Unread 05-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #538
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Foods can be sultry? Please cite examples of sultry food.
Unread 05-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #539
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Foods can be sultry? Please cite examples of sultry food.
You know, I do apologize. I meant savory.

Shana05, that was entirely my bad.

Quote:
Quote:
Especishillly you sam.
Unread 05-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #540
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Hence my use of the word "sultry." I was trying be generous and give you the benefit of the doubt, since you also said you hated beans and ruled them out entirely.

All right then, here's a question with no extra wordage to read into: what foods do you like?
I like many typical things such as hamburgers and chicken. I like most cheeses (probably as I'm of French decent). Sweet & sour chicken is probably my favorite meal. Most of all I like many salty things as on the candy board I mentioned my favorite is salmiakki, something many people wouldn't dare try. On the beans, I will make an exception, I do like green beans.