Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #556
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
The only thing I know is that I have human blood running through my veins --- for realz.
Oh yeah? Rumor has it that you sparkle in the sunlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
That's actually a thing?
XD Totally what I was going to say! I always tell people that I am 100% American but that doesn't stop them from saying, "No, no, I mean what are you really?"

Quote:
ON TOPIC: How much skin, if any, do you like in your mashed potatoes?
Hmmmm.... I don't object to skin in my mashed potatoes but I don't put any in on purpose. I like garlic mashed potatoes. Bake a couple of heads of garlic in oil then mash the cloves and some of the oil in with the potatoes.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #557
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimatedPoison View Post
I kind of wonder if you realize how absurd this sounds. The universe is shoving Mexican food in your face because one or two people on a forum questioned you?
No, I mentioned my IRL experiences several times shoving it in my face. Like every single time my sister visits she makes us all go to a Mexican restaurant and won't let up about the fact I won't order anything. I love her but that drives me crazy. The people on this forum simply helped illustrate what I go through.
Quote:
Being a picky eater is one thing, but this is kind of, you know, extreme saying you "hate" all of this stuff. People are most likely asking you to test your palate and give these things a chance because your tastes change as you age. If you don't like it, fine, you dislike it. But just as you want tolerance from other people about the things you don't like, you should be tolerant enough to give foods and other people's recommendations another chance.

When the first reaction is to get super defensive right away over something as trivial as food, then it becomes personal for people. Maybe it's the beans or the guacamole or the spices you don't like, but food is very personal and emotional for some people. When you're generalizing an entire culture's worth of food into the "hate" category based on select items, that's where the bristling begins.
I never said I hated Mexico, Mexicans, or Mexican culture. I simply hate their food. I really hate that people try to force me to like it. It's not like I ate these things years ago and went "never again." Mexican food is very common in the U.S. and sometimes I have no choice but to eat it because of pressure I get. I still hate all these things. I really don't care if other people like it, I don't and I don't like people pushing it on me.
Unread 05-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #558
AnimatedPoison

Mexican food is part of Mexican culture. That's where people take offense. You wouldn't say for example, 'I don't think she's ugly, I just hate her face.'

It's not about Mexican food, just some common ingredients that you don't like. These are common ingredients prevalent in dishes from all cultures, and people who live in the U.S. are fortunate to have a wide variety of food options-- it's not like there's nothing but Mexican cuisine everywhere you turn.

It's not so much what you're saying but how you're saying it that's offending other people. When in doubt, turn down dinner or lunch or what have you, and let other people enjoy the things that you don't.
AnimatedPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #559
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

So I figured out last night that beef is still largely indigestible for me. Good god, the agony I was in. X_X (And I've had other stomach pain too, because I've been stressed out of my mind from my mom. SHE'S so stressed and bitchy this past week that she screams at everything, including me, when home, screams at me through dinner, makes me feel bad for not knowing how to make every single dish or make it EXACTLY the way she does it, etc. So instead of hunger pangs/an appetite at dinner, now I just get a "oooh, I don't feel so good" sensation in my stomach. Making eating realllly difficult.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #560
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
So I figured out last night that beef is still largely indigestible for me. Good god, the agony I was in. X_X (And I've had other stomach pain too, because I've been stressed out of my mind from my mom. SHE'S so stressed and bitchy this past week that she screams at everything, including me, when home, screams at me through dinner, makes me feel bad for not knowing how to make every single dish or make it EXACTLY the way she does it, etc. So instead of hunger pangs/an appetite at dinner, now I just get a "oooh, I don't feel so good" sensation in my stomach. Making eating realllly difficult.
Eat everything really fast and then chug a big glass of milk. It will make the pain now seem better in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #561
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Mexican food is part of Mexican culture. That's where people take offense. You wouldn't say for example, 'I don't think she's ugly, I just hate her face.'
Because those two things are totally comparable. :eyeroll:

Quote:
It's not about Mexican food, just some common ingredients that you don't like. These are common ingredients prevalent in dishes from all cultures, and people who live in the U.S. are fortunate to have a wide variety of food options-- it's not like there's nothing but Mexican cuisine everywhere you turn.

It's not so much what you're saying but how you're saying it that's offending other people. When in doubt, turn down dinner or lunch or what have you, and let other people enjoy the things that you don't.
How many times do I have to bring up my family on this matter? The constantly take me to Mexican restaurants and won't let up about the fact I don't want to order any food. Anytime I skip a meal my mom worries I'm anorexic. I never said other people can't enjoy the food, they can I just hate it being forced on me which it often is.

But here you're saying I'm doing something that actually the offended people are doing "not letting people enjoy the things you don't." I said several times I have no problem with other eating Mexican food, I just don't want any part of it. But here I get a bunch of people flaming me simply because I hate some food items.
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #562
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Oh yeah? Rumor has it that you sparkle in the sunlight.
I'm just going to pretend not to get the Twilight reference out of a vague sense of repulsion and say that I actually sunburn pretty heavily.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #563
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Quote:
*snip snip* Me, I now feel compelled to post this again.
Best video ever. XD

Quote:
That's actually a thing?

Derp indeed.

ON TOPIC: How much skin, if any, do you like in your mashed potatoes?
I love potatoes. The only way I don't eat them is scalloped, so skin or no skin, it's not a huge deal to me! Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew, PO-TA-TOES are delicious.

Quote:
Hmmmm.... I don't object to skin in my mashed potatoes but I don't put any in on purpose. I like garlic mashed potatoes. Bake a couple of heads of garlic in oil then mash the cloves and some of the oil in with the potatoes.
^That's my absolute FAVOURITE way to eat potatoes *drool*
Unread 05-10-2011, 12:35 AM   #564
AnimatedPoison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
But here I get a bunch of people flaming me simply because I hate some food items.
Or because you're saying a bunch of ignorant things, being rude on top of it, heaping your personal problems on people who have nothing to do with it, and just not stepping out of a conversation (forum participation is optional, not required) in which you have nothing positive or of substance to add. It could be that. So unless you have something positive to say about food, I don't see any reason to disrupt the thread any further.

Personally, I prefer mashed potatoes to be skin-free, but if it's in there, nobody's going to die.
AnimatedPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 02:44 AM   #565
Stina006
Even in darkness...

god some of you people need to chill out. she doesn't like mexican food. big fucking deal >_> i hate it too. it's too spicy and greasy for me...the rice is too dry...ugh i need a Pho NOW!!!!

i like my potatoes any. way. ever. i LOVE potatoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nomnom
usually mix it with some green beans, or perhaps baked with sourcream, chives, shredded cheese.....
i'm more of a American/ Asian food person...
Edward Elric-Fullmetal Alchemist

Planned~
North Italy-Hetalia
Link-Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages ver.- The Legend of Zelda
Super Sailor Chibi Moon- Sailor Moon
Stina006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 03:01 AM   #566
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stina006 View Post
god some of you people need to chill out. she doesn't like mexican food. big fucking deal >_> i hate it too. it's too spicy and greasy for me...the rice is too dry...ugh i need a Pho NOW!!!!

Someone tell me this reference isn't wasted.

Quote:
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 03:06 AM   #567
Stina006
Even in darkness...

Quote:

Someone tell me this reference isn't wasted.
is that.....John Goodman?? omg it IS! i just saw him on roseanne o_0......idk where that's from but please i hope you aren't using it to try and start something pointless? i don't care >_>

but the pic is funny...just because; John Goodman

good movie. but what does it have to do with the thread?
Edward Elric-Fullmetal Alchemist

Planned~
North Italy-Hetalia
Link-Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages ver.- The Legend of Zelda
Super Sailor Chibi Moon- Sailor Moon
Stina006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #568
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Quote:
is that.....John Goodman?? omg it IS! i just saw him on roseanne o_0......idk where that's from but please i hope you aren't using it to try and start something pointless? i don't care >_>

but the pic is funny...just because; John Goodman

good movie. but what does it have to do with the thread?

I think it's time to go back and edit that first post.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 07:39 AM   #569
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiyhrah View Post
I love potatoes. The only way I don't eat them is scalloped, so skin or no skin, it's not a huge deal to me! Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew, PO-TA-TOES are delicious.
I agree. It's pretty hard to ruin a potato. I always eat the baked potato skin and I don't mind skin on fries or in mashed. It's just not how I'm used to making them. I lol'd at that video. It's kind of amazing how many songs there are about potatoes on YouTube. It made me think of that Cab Calloway song about chicken.

Quote:
Personally, I prefer mashed potatoes to be skin-free, but if it's in there, nobody's going to die.
Well, unless they choked on it. Potato peels as safety issue?
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #570
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post

It's just, you know, not the first time I've heard someone talking about Mexican food being too spicy, but-- so many cultures around the world feature chile peppers and other "hot" foods predominantly in their cuisine. No one ever really complains about them, with the exception of maybe Indian food-- also a serious misrepresentation, since there are a ton of delicious foods in Indian cuisine that are traditionally very mild. I wonder if it's the "spiciness" that people are really opposed to.
Their food is fine, it's me that's the issue. XD

I grew up without spices... I mean my mom had NO idea what garlic was until she met my dad. Polish people use butter as a spice. Needs more taste? BUTTER! You want heat? I PUT IN OVEN. My dad wasn't raised on anything remotely spicy either. He also hates garlic (and my mom now adores it...and so do I!)

I'm sure there is mild indian food besides those triangle things. Every time i'm told that though, i end up drowning myself in milk.

"...what... that's mild."
"MY THROAT HAS BURNED AWAY~~~" *flails arms about wildly*

...and what i don't like... IS THAT IT DOESN'T LOOK SPICY! It was all yellow and happy, looking so INNOCENT. When beneath that friendly exterior lurked danger to my soft esophagus! It should be red and have flames coming off it! Alas! Poor Kitty is subject to it's sneaky exterior!

...i'm such a pansy. People don't get the "i can't take spices" and translate to "i can take spices, but nothing that's extreme" for some reason. I AM WORKING ON IT THOUGH. Slowly... ever so slowly.

I went to a Thai place the other day. I had mango chicken. So good! My friend had spicy food. I tried it. (>O<) Hooooot~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
I'm just going to pretend not to get the Twilight reference out of a vague sense of repulsion and say that I actually sunburn pretty heavily.
*sparkles*

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote