Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #31
Amanita

I'm working on an Empire State Building cosplay, and I'm pretty sure that's going to get lots of attention, even if it's not from an established series, or a recreation of somebody else's character. It's hard to ignore an illuminated headdress that makes its wearer 6.5-7 feet tall, for starters. And the robes are gonna be gorgeous, multilayerered things. That and the chest armour, glossy black and silver. A fair number of architectural elements are gonna be worked into this thing- the 5th ave lobby windows, the sunburst patterns from the mosaic on the lobby wall, and even the fantastic assortment of sunburst designs from the lobby ceilings. So if this thing works, it's going to be incredible.

Some of the most interesting cosplays I saw at Halcon were OC's. The zombie nurse with zombie baby, a Steampunk exterminator couple, and even a steampunk plague doctor. I didn't mind going up to people and saying "You look awesome, who/what are you?" It certainly led to some cool conversations. Likewise, my outfit for the first night was an original creation, pulled together from stuff out of my closet-A black and gold qipao, a set of belly dancer's Isis wings, and a gold sunburst crown. I got lots of compliments, and a few people told me that my costume was the subject of a lot of discussion "That looks so cool, what is she?"
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-15-2011, 01:30 AM   #32
usakou

cosplaying oc is very fun^^ because you can create your own character ><
especially costume design
and the greatest question of the others "omg man what are you cosplaying?"
usakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 02:33 AM   #33
Sticky-Iki
Meow?

I love OC's. I'm trying to create a few steampunk cosplays (which would of course be OC's... there aren't many steampunk... things out). I feel like, if people can accept steampunk and random pirate/ninja cosplays, which are OC's for the most part, then why not come up with some extravagant cosplay that is all yours? Plus, it shows your creative side. ^^ OC's are fun. I'll admit that it is a bit confusing when you see one at a con. No one wants to be rude and ask, but take a pic talk a bit and you'll figure out if it's OC or not. ^_~

Future Cosplays:
Aisha ClanClan {Outlaw Star}
Panty {Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt}
Sticky-Iki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #34
mylilpazuzu
I am the lucid dream.

I'm planning an OC Hogwarts student costume for the release of the final movie this summer. It's not that I don't like the canon characters, but I don't look enough like any of them to really pull it off. Rather than be one of eleven hundred Hermiones, I'm going to be one of only a couple of Hufflepuff students (no one loves Hufflepuff ;3. But there again... it works with that fandom. There are likely hundreds of unnamed students/extras. The same is true of something like Star Wars. That said, I wouldn't try to cosplay an OC Sailor Scout, or something that people will likely get bent out of shape about.
Unread 04-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #35
Amanita

As far as "being rude and asking" goes, none of the OC cosplayers I talked to were offended to be asked what they were, and I wasn't bothered when people asked me that.

Mylilpazuzu, I see what you mean- in some universes like Star Wars, Star Trek, and Harry Potter, there's so many background characters running around that it's easy to do an OC cosplay and still fit into the story without needing a convoluted explanation.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 07:39 PM   #36
shadowbeam
Living for the cosplay

I've not cosplayed an original character but I really want to! I think it's a great way to unleash your creative side ^.^
When I'm at cons if I see a costume I like i'll go and tell that person, and maybe get a picture. I don't know as much anime and manga as alot of people so chances are i'm not gonna know if something is OC or not, but to me it doesn't matter. An awesome costume is an awesome costume!
shadowbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #37
MotherSilver

I'm already planning an OC cosplay for next year. He's a very extravagant and rather obvious character so I'll be sticking out xD

I think if the character is really well thought out (I've had Aaron for years now and I'm still fine tuning him) then yeah go for it. But if you're slapping something together that doesn't even look obvious don't expect to be asked for a picture... I'm hoping that my web comic will be up and running in time and that people will sort of know my characters but Aarons a ladies man, he'll be flirting regardless ;D
MotherSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #38
Meredith

Me? Not yet, but I do have one I'm working on, a character from a novel I'm working on, and I've been bugging myself to make his giant organ-arm thing that attaches to his back. Just for the challenge. Some just look too similar to existing things to really work well as OCs, but some that have something that sets them apart- like a giant prop or a very detailed costume- that's something that will make me interested in talking to you about your character. If you're just in plainclothes but an OC, not many will notice. If at all.
My friend and I have considered putting together a group for a webcomic my friend is working on, as a strange publicity thing, but we shelved that for now, it seems somewhat low...
Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #39
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Personally I like the whole concept of cosplaying OCs. I am a writer and the idea of dressing up as a character from one of my own stories sounds awesome. In fact I am cosplaying an OC for Friday of AnimeNext.

I think if the person wearing the cosplay is having fun, it doesn't matter what the cosplay is.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #40
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I've done a bunch of original designs, and even my recreation costumes tend to be obscure so often people don't know what I'm from anyways.

I love seeing awesome costumes regardless of whether I recognize the source; I constantly go up to cosplayers/costumers wearing cool things and ask them about their costumes.

I know that a lot of anime cons are biased against original designs (and in some cases have rules against them), but sci-fi, fantasy and media cons are usually much more welcoming. I just came back from Costume-Con and saw tons of amazing original costumes.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 05:14 AM   #41
MissTeliko
Cat lover

My first cosplay is an OC.
I made the decision to cosplay an OC because I felt it would be less pressure for my first time cosplaying, and so far I've been really enjoying making my cosplay come to life.

So...yay? ^^:
MissTeliko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #42
sephygoth
Hater lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeliko View Post
My first cosplay is an OC.
I made the decision to cosplay an OC because I felt it would be less pressure for my first time cosplaying, and so far I've been really enjoying making my cosplay come to life.

So...yay? ^^:
yes yay! same here!
but it may not be "cosplay" persay if it's an OC....ppl debate it a lot,usually cosplay corrilates to someting specific in japanese culture, lately it's included american and then everyone misuses the term costume for cosplay for like everything. Not crapping on you, just what I've seen over time. I've never actually been able to call my getups cosplay if I make them up, I call them costumes or characters....but they're not Japanese particularly, yours may very well be! ^^
if you got down to it, making your OWN character could be the truest and MOST FREE form of "costume play" there ever could be. ... interesting you reminded me of things here.
sephygoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #43
Mori-Hikari

I'm working on an OC cosplay for my artist alley buddy and myself right now to promote my short comic I am planning on selling in artist alley. I'm super looking forward to it! I'm going to get to learn so many new techniques! I'm also planning on competeing in a local con's masq because I've already won a pretty high award both years I've entered and need more of a challenge. And I've heard its hard to win contests in OC's so why not
Mori-Hikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2011, 08:23 PM   #44
Charm
Starry-Eyed Space Case

I've cosplayed an original character, but it was for a type of costume day in high school... I find that the best reactions from OCs are when they are something sensical to people. For example, what I cosplayed was nothing more than an OC from a magic-like victorian era. It was well received because I just looked like a victorian gentleman.

If you get something very eccentric, chances are it'll confuse people what it is from. If you can fit it into things like "cowboy", "angel", "vampire" you can usually get better responses from people because they can approach on that basis alone.

Regardless, do whatever you wish. There will always be a totally unique satisfaction to cosplaying something you put your heart and soul into rather than just a character you're a fan of.
Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #45
sailormoonfan14

I'm hoping to cosplay an oc character, but not anytime soon because it includes mechanized wings and a full ballgown so...ya, definitely going to take a while to do
sailormoonfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote