Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #646
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

I loved that stuff when I was a kid, but now it is way too sweet for me. XP Fresh cherries FTW.

Edit: NB4 the obvious THAT'S WHAT HE SAID! SO JUST SHUT UP!
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #647
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Man oh man, it's National Cherry Cobbler Day. That takes care of my dessert plans! Anyone got a really good recipe?
You'd have to change the filling, but a friend of a friend recommended this one to me a while ago (sorry about the background but it's the only page I could find); http://www.penguin.co.uk/static/cs/u...es_cobler.html

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #648
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stina006 View Post
omg meeeeeeeeeeeeee. XD i eat it at this awesome veitnamese grill and sushi bar by my house. it's cheap ad the owner looks like he was in the Yakuza XD
which one do you like? my favorite is the Pho Hanoi with raw Beef and well done brisket
i spread hoisen and sirachi on it...and then i mix my sushi wasabi with the lemon in my water......with soy sauce in there too....
for desert i usually share --Che xoi nuoc--
*dessert consisting of balls made from mung bean paste wrapped in a shell made of glutinous rice flour.*

oh god i'm so wanting it right now DX

-i'm having a nice lemon chicken with spinach and basil with italian dressing on it yumyum...
i'd rather have pho...but it's way too many calories for me T_T
Somehow, it's a personal turn off to find place just slab on the sushi to their restaurant. Fast Food Chinese & Sushi, Thai & Sushi.... I'm just glad I haven't seen any Mexican Food & Sushi...

I want southern food for some reason, candied yams and nicely cooked mustard greens
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #649
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I'm rather baffled by how many sushi restaurants there are in a four-block radius downtown..and how they can all stay in business. There's at least four, all within two blocks of each other, plusa bunch more out of the downtown area. One's classy and fancy and expensive as hell, one's got other Japanese foods than just sushi (also offers takeout, and also been there quite a while), one's new and apparently also has an Izakaya (Japanese-style pub) with it, and the other one just looks very nondescript.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #650
KnightShade007
Emperor of Fedoras

It's weird. I'm having breakfast during dinner time.

FYI: French Toast tastes 10X better than usual when you add vanilla extract with your other ingredients. X3
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #651
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I'm rather baffled by how many sushi restaurants there are in a four-block radius downtown..and how they can all stay in business. There's at least four, all within two blocks of each other, plusa bunch more out of the downtown area. One's classy and fancy and expensive as hell, one's got other Japanese foods than just sushi (also offers takeout, and also been there quite a while), one's new and apparently also has an Izakaya (Japanese-style pub) with it, and the other one just looks very nondescript.
I think sushi is kind of a fad these days. You should see downtown Vancouver, there are more sushi restaurants than there are Starbucks. ><
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #652
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I have noticed that in general ethnic food seems to have become a huge fad for those who want to appear cultured and "Enlightened" (You know, the "Well, I TOTALLY understand and support ethnic minorities and so am TOTALLY beter than those people who eat non-foreign foods, now I'm off to pilates class" people). I'll even admit to buying into the sushi fad during my Japanophile years, despite not liking a lot of Japanese foods (A lot of it is shrimp, which I can't stand, really bitter, spicy, OR tastes like it's burnt because of charcoal grilling...it took a while to find dishes I actually liked.)

Obviously it's not always the case with the restaurant patrons, but it certainly does seem to be a pretty faddish thing. I also get the giggles when hearing people try to pronounce the dish names and COMPLETELY failing. Having taken Japanese for several years, I could nail the dish names. Versus people who were like "Uhhh, Uh-nay-jee dom-buh-rye? What IS that?" (Unagi donburi, if you were wondering what was being butchered XD)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #653
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

I took a semester of Japanese in college, and I was also friends with all the exchange students in high school, so pronunciation of Japanese words comes really easily to me. I can't speak it fluently or anything, but I definitely know that " Uh-nay-jee dom-buh-rye" is VERY wrong XD

If I don't know how to pronounce things, I don't try. Or I ask a waiter. lol
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:48 PM   #654
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Yeah, a few times I had to lean over towards their tables and tell them how to say it, because it was SO terribly pronounced. And frequently say what was in something if they were also puzzling over it. Luckily nobody ever found it rude. Most of the time I got an astonished "SERIOUSLY!? THAT'S how its said!? And THAT'S what's in it!?"
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #655
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

We got a rice cooker!!! Housewarming gift from boyfriend's mom. We had curry for dinner last night. Nom nom nom!

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: Anime Central in Rosemont, IL (May 16-18)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #656
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Speaking of people who can't pronounce things, at Anime Evolution last year I was waiting for a bus on Saturday evening after the con, and there was this girl on her phone talking to a friend. She was going off about "freaks in costumes" to the other person, which was making me really mad (as a "freak in costume" standing right behind her :/). Anyway, I guess the person asked her what was going on, and she was like, "I dunno. Something called an 'an-eye-mee' convention."

I lol'd. XD I was so tempted to tap her on the shoulder and correct her. haha
Unread 05-17-2011, 10:19 PM   #657
Big appleton

Instant cup noodles and Nesquik with 2 shots of espresso
aaahh, college food
Big appleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #658
~H~
Original H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
We got a rice cooker!!! Housewarming gift from boyfriend's mom. We had curry for dinner last night. Nom nom nom!

Sounds yummy! When can I come over for dinner? ^_-
~H~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 02:11 AM   #659
Chaletica
[laughs]

...Chocolate cake with chocolate sprinkles and pieces on top.
Om nom nom.
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:40 AM   #660
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I feel like a lot of the Japanese restaurants (at least around here, anyway) are pretty much the equivalent of typical Chinese restaurants in America-- you know, mildly authentic cuisine, but the sort of thing that's tailored to American palates. They all seem to serve the same dishes, for example, and they're pretty much all run by Chinese or Korean people since we don't exactly have a huge Japanese community nearby. They rely on the fact that the average American usually can't tell the difference.

As for pronunciation, that's pretty much par for the course with any "ethnic" restaurant in the U.S. I'll usually ask if I'm really stuck on something (despite growing up with an Italian grandfather, I'm terrible at pronouncing most Italian words), but my love of food means I usually pick up information in my reading, where there are handy pronunciation guides.

I do still laugh on those occasions when I hear somebody mention guacamole and it comes out rhyming with "Whack-a-Mole". Really, guys? Really?
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote