Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Other Fashion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #1
tarinalove
alsoknownas Katarini

Tattoos. Not so alternative and now very mainstream

Tattoos have lost their tabboo effect with a lot more people getting them. I still want a couple personally and may get one around my 19th birthday.

Thoughts? Images of tattoos you like?
Go at it.

https://www.facebook.com/RinaMeowsir
I take commissions, just send me a message. <3
tarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #2
CountMetal
I GOTTA BELIEVE!!!!!!

I have been planning on getting one but whenever I go to a tattoo parlor I end up short. I won't be going something too mainstream like Celtic bands, etc. Most of my ideas for future tattoos are anime based or video game based. I am thinking about getting 2 or 3.
CountMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
ballet shoes
candy holic

I think that certainly tattoos are a lot more accepted in society nowadays. Whilst I do think that it is a good thing as many more tatt studios and talented artists have a heck of a lot of business and can therefore create lovely art, I do get your point that part of the reason for getting tattoos is to make a statement and dissasociate yourself from "the norm", that being said though its lovely to recieve very nice comments about your tattoos from complete strangers.

I'm almost 26 (yikes), and although I knew I wanted tatts (and knew what the first one I wanted would be too) from the age of 15, I waited until I was 25 to get my first tatt which actually was that very same design. I just wanted to be absolutely sure that that was what I wanted to do as it's a very large piece (quarter sleeve). Although my mind didn't change and I was very adament that it wouldn't from a very young age, I do have quite a few friends that got inked in their late teens and very much regret their design choices now in their mid twenties. I would advise anyone to really think long and hard about what you want and also the placement of the design. Also do your research, go to numerous studios and don't be afraid to ask to look at artists portfolios to see if you like their work and whether their style will work for your design.

Emma Frost - X Men
Noel Vermillion - Blaz Blue
Hope Esthiem - Final Fantasy XIII
Black Cat - Amazing Spiderman
ballet shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
LunaNera
Dromaeosauridae

I wish tattoos were actually widely accepted. Even though the majority of people have them, I still have to deal with a good amount of crap because of them. Mostly in the job world... even from managers that personally have one themselves.
I have about 37 hours of tattoo work on me now. At least I think its 37.
but my right arm in completely covered, my chest from shoulder to shoulder, a good amount of my left arm, my shoulder blades, back of my neck, around my navel, the back of one calf and a small one just bellow my knee on the other leg. The top of my foot and some of my ankle is having artwork drawn for it right now!
I only have one I hate, the back of my neck, because the artist screwed it up. He has a really good portfolio too, I don't know what went wrong. I will be getting it lightened with a laser so I can cover it up properly, since of course, its all black.
Some of my older ones will likely get covered to make way for bigger and better things. in fact almost my whole left arm is going to be reworked when I have enough to do my second sleeve.
I got my first on on my 16th birthday, had 3 more before I turned 18. Thankfully, I don't hate my first one, which where tribal dragon wings on my shoulder blades. They will likely be covered at one point, but I do still like them.
LunaNera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
Gypsyangelf4i
Places to go,People to be

My only recommendation would be to get it somewhere that you could show it off when you wanted, but could cover it up easily for when it wasn't tactful to show. Like in a job interview.
Unread 03-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
gem-rawrr

I have one on my hip, which is ideal because it is easily covered up.
I kept the design around a few years before I finally had it done. I think because there's a meaning behind it, it's not going to be regrettable. Plus it's not an overly done tattoo like the southern cross or butterfly >_< It's Mamar star from Mario Party ^^
gem-rawrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
Alliekitten
Allie Kitten

here's some advice (I got my first tat in college)
1. Get it in a spot you can easily cover it up. Many jobs are weary of people with tattoo's or won't hire you if you have tattoo's (like trying to get a job working with kids- tatt's are a nono)

2. Get a design that's personal and personalizing it more. If you find the design you want, I would add a personal touch that is your own flare to it. You will be more connected with it if it's more uniquely yours. I would also recommend against getting something like a band symbol or an image from a book, as you may outgrow the desire you have for said band/book.

3. After you agree on what your tatt is gonna look like, wait a month before getting it. This is your reflection time to decide if this is really what you want- and if it's the right design. After a month, if you still really like your design and are still excited about the tatt, then go ahead.

4. Research where you want it done. Make sure they do good work and they are clean.

5. the more elaborate the tattoo is, the more expensive it will be. Many tattoo artist charge by the hour, so if you are getting a full back piece, make sure you have $3,000 handy,since it might be that much. For a really simple tattoo, like maybe just a star somewhere, you will probably only need $50

Last edited by Alliekitten : 03-16-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Alliekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
Smurfasaur
ebay addict

I have a bunch of tattoos, most look very random but its all things i like and make me happy. If it makes you happy go for it! Its your body

and remember that sometimes things that look simple REALLY aren't! Barcodes for example, so difficult even though they don't look it
Smurfasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

I've actually been wanting to get a Filipino sun (oh so original haha) with my grandma's initials. I'm going to get some tattoo paper sometime so I can figure out exactly where I want it. I just need the money...

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:58 AM   #10
Mäx

Hey I´ve 2 tattoos and the next termin isn´t very far. So I think if you make a tattoo with personal effect it will be inimitable. My tattoos are drawn by myself so no one can copie them.
So give careful thought about to make a tattoo. Sorry for my bad english I´m from germany...
Mäx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #11
ladyofthenight
teragarm

My parents would have a conniption if I got a tattoo which is why when I get one I will not tell them; they are kind of old fashioned. Currently my list is Leeloo's wrist tattoo from the Fifth Element and a deadmau5 one on my shoulder outlined with UV reactive ink. And once my best friend and I decide we're going to get matching ones.
ladyofthenight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #12
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

most of the ones i have planned are things i've either drawn myself or ideas i've come up with that relate to my life in some way. i don't want to have a band logo or video game character forever on my body, simply because my tastes can change. what i do want to have on my body are things that are important to me, like my child(ren)'s initials (have this!) or my family crest (next one), or even something symbolic of my relationship with my friends or a known landmark from my hometown. i have had other ideas for things less meaningful, but i always change my mind. my family and history isn't going to change and those things will always be important to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliekitten View Post
here's some advice (I got my first tat in college)
1. Get it in a spot you can easily cover it up. Many jobs are weary of people with tattoo's or won't hire you if you have tattoo's (like trying to get a job working with kids- tatt's are a nono)
it depends on what kind of job and where you live. i was a bus driver and live in a small town in missouri (very conservative christian here) and no one had a problem with my tattoo or piercings, although i doubt i could get a job in a classroom unless it was something like an art teacher or coach. it's still a good idea to have ink in places that are easily covered, no matter your profession. 90% of tattoos i have planned will not show when i'm wearing capris and a t-shirt, and the one that will show is family-related and could not be offensive in any way other than actually having one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyofthenight View Post
My parents would have a conniption if I got a tattoo which is why when I get one I will not tell them; they are kind of old fashioned. Currently my list is Leeloo's wrist tattoo from the Fifth Element and a deadmau5 one on my shoulder outlined with UV reactive ink. And once my best friend and I decide we're going to get matching ones.
my parents freaked when they found out about mine, even though it's small and is in a place that is rarely seen by the public. i've had it for 5 years and i don't think i've even showed my dad yet lol. also, be careful with uv ink:
Quote:
Safety concerns about UV tattoos remain. The chemicals that compose UV ink are not considered 100% safe due to the number of reported skin irritations. Numerous skin rashes, blisters and infections have been reported with UV ink. In addition, there is some concern that these inks may contribute to cancer.
taken from http://www.tattoohealth.org/content/uv.asp

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^

Last edited by rubyspitfire : 05-12-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: typos ><
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
Gabbyv23
That one chick

I don't have one personally,
but I'm wondering how you manage to cosplay without them showing if you do happen to have one.
Gabbyv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 04:52 AM   #14
ballet shoes
candy holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbyv23 View Post
I don't have one personally,
but I'm wondering how you manage to cosplay without them showing if you do happen to have one.
It's hard!! I use flesh coloured body paint which is fine for long distance shots but up close the colour does seep through slightly as my tatts are very bright. I don't cosplay a lot of characters that have all of their arms exposed but for the ones that do, I don't want to not attempt them. I know a few people who leave their tatts exposed and make no attempt to cover them so I guess its personal choice.

Emma Frost - X Men
Noel Vermillion - Blaz Blue
Hope Esthiem - Final Fantasy XIII
Black Cat - Amazing Spiderman
ballet shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 01:27 AM   #15
carolinabirdxo

My biggest trouble with tattoos is I'm afraid of commitment. I like to be open to change and try not to let myself get too attached to things. So I've been considering more solid tattoo concepts. I'm thinking I'll get "Joy" written in my mother's hand writing on my left wrist; I'm not to worried about being able to cover it (getting a BFA in sculpture = not getting a job where they would care anyways). I don't want to go off into a sentimental ramble, but my mother's always been a very strong and caring influence in my life. Joy is my middle name and my mother's first name.
Thinking it'll look something like this:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...0301213320.jpg

It won't be for a while (I want to take time to think about it more), but I'm pretty excited for it
carolinabirdxo is offline   Reply With Quote