Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 264 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
Fairypiranha
Evil Midget of Doom

The "What fabric should I use?" Suggestion Thread

Hiya!

So I noticed that a lot of people come in and ask for suggestions of fabric choice. I am one of them! I also noticed that there wasn't a thread like the Suggestions thread, where someone can give a few reference pictures and ask for help and then the people respond. I think it would be more helpful for everyone if its all in a neat thread so that if your looking for help on a costume, you can see if its already been posted and helped. Does this seem like a bad idea? I'm hoping not, I'm hoping it will make everyone who is so helpful jobs easier. So instead of answering the same question like 50 times, you can answer it once and in more detail!

Anyways! I do have a question so I guess I'll start us off.

Reference picture 1
Reference picture 2
Reference picture 3
Reference picture 4

I am making this costume for Dragon*Con in September. I'm pretty sure I'll make the pink overdress out of a nicer cotton. But I'm a little confused on the petticoats. I would like it to be very fluffy so I immidiatly though tulle, but I would like to avoid the sheer look of tulle. because it doesn't work with the outfit's look. Do you think I should just add some lace to the end of the tulle or use a different fabric? Also any suggestions on what fabric to make the under shirt out of?

Thanks so much!
I hope this thread helps someone!
Fairy
Fairypiranha is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

I would do the shirt and petticoats all out of the same material; some sort of light-weight cotton (NOT quilting cotton, but a shirting material). For the skirts, you can get that kind of volume by using quite a bit of material - instead of a rectangle, sew together several arcs or semi-circles and then gather them. On the hem edge, put lace lace lace and more lace It looks like there are at least two layers of petticoats. If they don't have enough volume or bounce, then you could add in a layer of tulle underneath or between the two layers (or both), and this can be done in such a way that it isn't seen (or is seen very little).

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
kanancom

Could I get a suggestion for the fabric of Daenerys Targaryen's dress from Game of Thrones?

It's really driving me crazy! Also can I get some suggestions for the metal ring on the bodice?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...91lo1_1280.png

Dragon*con
Assassin Apprentice - AC:Brotherhood; Zelda - LoZ: Skyward Sword; Sweet Raiden - Sweet Snake Figumate; Wander - Shadow of the Colossus
kanancom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
Fairypiranha
Evil Midget of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syagria View Post
I would do the shirt and petticoats all out of the same material; some sort of light-weight cotton (NOT quilting cotton, but a shirting material). For the skirts, you can get that kind of volume by using quite a bit of material - instead of a rectangle, sew together several arcs or semi-circles and then gather them. On the hem edge, put lace lace lace and more lace It looks like there are at least two layers of petticoats. If they don't have enough volume or bounce, then you could add in a layer of tulle underneath or between the two layers (or both), and this can be done in such a way that it isn't seen (or is seen very little).
Thank you so much! This is what I will do. You described it very well!
Unread 06-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
Fairypiranha
Evil Midget of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanancom View Post
Could I get a suggestion for the fabric of Daenerys Targaryen's dress from Game of Thrones?

It's really driving me crazy! Also can I get some suggestions for the metal ring on the bodice?

the bodice reminds me of a satine fabric I saw, it seems to have a bit of shine, but it looks very opaque so not a satine. Maybe a better quality cotton or satine? The skirt is more of a linen or maybe a hemp? linen might need to be distressed a bit to achieve the well worn look, but hemp might not. Thats just my 2 cents though As for the ring, I'd suggest looking for the circles used for napkin holders for the actual circle and then see if there are any eagel necklaces that you could combine to make that?

Last edited by Fairypiranha : 06-17-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Unread 06-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #6
Kelley
Devil of Details

I would guess silk, for the whole dress - and guess it's been gradient-dyed while bunched up or something like that.

You know how they have those "crinkly" dresses ? Kind of like that. You twist the wet silk and let it dry that way, and it will make semi-permanent pleats. By dying it while twisted up, I think you might get a look like that (like tie-dye). And you could steam it to make the pleats less stiff and more natural and distressed looking.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #7
kanancom

Quote:
the bodice reminds me of a satine fabric I saw, it seems to have a bit of shine, but it looks very opaque so not a satine. Maybe a better quality cotton or satine? The skirt is more of a linen or maybe a hemp? linen might need to be distressed a bit to achieve the well worn look, but hemp might not. Thats just my 2 cents though As for the ring, I'd suggest looking for the circles used for napkin holders for the actual circle and then see if there are any eagel necklaces that you could combine to make that?
Yeah, it almost looks like linen or hemp but then also looks like silk... its a strange fabric, I wish I could ask the costume designers! And thanks for the tip for the metal ring, that's a good idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
I would guess silk, for the whole dress - and guess it's been gradient-dyed while bunched up or something like that.

You know how they have those "crinkly" dresses ? Kind of like that. You twist the wet silk and let it dry that way, and it will make semi-permanent pleats. By dying it while twisted up, I think you might get a look like that (like tie-dye). And you could steam it to make the pleats less stiff and more natural and distressed looking.
I was looking at crepe fabric, but I can't seen to find anything the right color (all I find is crepe backed satin, not really what I want, I think).

What type of silk do you recommend? Dupioni is the only silk I am personally familiar with, lol.

Dragon*con
Assassin Apprentice - AC:Brotherhood; Zelda - LoZ: Skyward Sword; Sweet Raiden - Sweet Snake Figumate; Wander - Shadow of the Colossus
Unread 06-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
Kelley
Devil of Details

I was just thinking start off with a plain-weave fairly lightweight silk and make the crinkles yourself / while dyeing. I know Dharma sells some plain silk along with their awesome dyes, though I've never bought their fabric.

To my eyes, the way the dress flows and drapes looks more like silk than linen, linen tends to look more wrinkly / crisp. Silk will also hold that treatment very well.

You'd probably have to line it, or wear a nude partial slip under it.

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
kanancom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
I was just thinking start off with a plain-weave fairly lightweight silk and make the crinkles yourself / while dyeing. I know Dharma sells some plain silk along with their awesome dyes, though I've never bought their fabric.

To my eyes, the way the dress flows and drapes looks more like silk than linen, linen tends to look more wrinkly / crisp. Silk will also hold that treatment very well.

You'd probably have to line it, or wear a nude partial slip under it.
I'm looking at the Dharma site and would you recommend their raw silk, hemp/silk blend, or crepe de chine, and what is the difference between the mm sizes on the different silks? I infer that to be the weight? If so, if you recommend a fairly lightweight silk then I should use 12mm?

Thanks!

Dragon*con
Unread 06-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
GlassCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairypiranha View Post
Anyways! I do have a question so I guess I'll start us off.

Reference picture 1
Reference picture 2
Reference picture 3
Reference picture 4

I am making this costume for Dragon*Con in September. I'm pretty sure I'll make the pink overdress out of a nicer cotton. But I'm a little confused on the petticoats. I would like it to be very fluffy so I immidiatly though tulle, but I would like to avoid the sheer look of tulle. because it doesn't work with the outfit's look. Do you think I should just add some lace to the end of the tulle or use a different fabric? Also any suggestions on what fabric to make the under shirt out of?

Thanks so much!
I hope this thread helps someone!
Fairy
Unless you're able to shop at a very high-end fabric store, like in a garment district of a big city (LA, NYC, etc), I would strongly recommend against cotton. The cotton fabric that's available at local fabric stores like JoAnn's, Hancock's, etc, is intended for quilting, not for dressmaking, and is too thin and too stiff to be right for this dress. I would probably go with a polyester or rayon, or cotton-poly blend. Really, you're best off just wandering through the aisles of the fabric store, touching the fabric and seeing how it drapes -- and keeping in mind that you can dye just about any fabric to the right color, if you can't find what you want.

For the petticoat, I would *highly* recommend buying it (or buying two or three, actually). It's totally possible to make a petticoat like that, but it requires so much fabric and takes so long to gather all of it that it's really just not worth it. I would check with the EGL/Loli crowd to see what specific petticoats they recommend for that level of poof. Once you factor in how much all the fabric and lace will cost, and how long it will take you to make it, buying a pre-made petticoat instead will almost certainly save you money.

(See you at DragonCon!)
Samantha Winchester - Winchester Sisters (Supernatural genderswap) - 100%, adding props
Abaddon - As Time Goes By dress (Supernatural) - 90%
GlassCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
GlassCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanancom View Post

I think crushed satin in the right color could work really well for this.
Samantha Winchester - Winchester Sisters (Supernatural genderswap) - 100%, adding props
Abaddon - As Time Goes By dress (Supernatural) - 90%
GlassCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #12
Mori-Hikari

I'm trying to find the right tyoe of fabric to make cloud strife's vest from advent children. I've searched and searched for somthing that will work and come up with nothing. to me it seems like a ribbed knit type of fabric but none of the ones ive found are right. then I thought I'd make it out of an already existing sweater...but once again nothing right in the correct size (L) any help of what to make this out of?

Mori-Hikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
ShadowDrac
Sky Pirate

I'm having a hard time with the yellow dress for this character. Stretch fabric was a DUMB idea of mine, but it was also the only fabric in a close color that I could find locally. I wasn't thinking properly, I suppose, or I really just don't know what I'm doing.

http://captjapan.deviantart.com/art/...rence-82879484
~Borderlands 2: Buzzaxe (Slowly getting there)

Fixing:
~Taokaka~ ~Skyrim Mage~

Cosplay Tumblr
DeviantArt
ShadowDrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
Ninja Monkey
Timotei-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDrac View Post
I'm having a hard time with the yellow dress for this character. Stretch fabric was a DUMB idea of mine, but it was also the only fabric in a close color that I could find locally. I wasn't thinking properly, I suppose, or I really just don't know what I'm doing.

http://captjapan.deviantart.com/art/...rence-82879484
Maybe satin? It would probably flow well. Cotton is always good as well, or polyester. Chiffon could work too.
Ninja Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
kanancom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mori-Hikari View Post
I'm trying to find the right tyoe of fabric to make cloud strife's vest from advent children. I've searched and searched for somthing that will work and come up with nothing. to me it seems like a ribbed knit type of fabric but none of the ones ive found are right. then I thought I'd make it out of an already existing sweater...but once again nothing right in the correct size (L) any help of what to make this out of?

It is a ribbed knit fabric, you just need to find fabric with large ribbing (a lot of fabric has tiny ribbing).

Quote:
NOT SATIN NOT SATIN NOT SATIN NOT SATIN NOT SATIN NOT SATIN NOT SATIN NOT SATIN NOT SATIN NOT SATIN NOT SATIN NOT SATIN
Okay, got that out. It would look horrifically awful in satin. Try using silk, I think silk would look really good for that. You can get some from Dharma Trading (a website) and you can also get silk dyes there too, I recommend custom dyeing it since its such a specific yellow. If you don't want to do that, dupioni silk would probably look okay (it is very textured with the classic slubs of silk in the fabric, if you look at a picture you'll know what I mean). Dupioni comes in a wide array of colors and shades. If silk is still too much, your best route would be a polyester, just go to difference stores and feel the fabrics and drapes to ge the best one.

Dragon*con