Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #3541
Crusader_8
Ask me about my name

I played some blazblue at AMA today. Tager is undefeated, smiley emote!

Coming soon - my most patriotic costume yet, Captain America!

Cosplays on the Drawing board -
Sam Flynn
Optimus Prime
Black Jack
Crusader_8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-18-2011, 03:45 AM   #3542
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
I use Fenris because he's my only warrior with a two-handed weapon, but he looks like a refugee from a Squeenix game. When he and Anders are both in my party, they bitch at each other incessantly. They deserve each other. They're both too emo for my character.
The first time you hang out with Fenris at his mansion, he was totally laughing at my character's silliness, so I decided it was meant to be. Hahaha.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #3543
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

I actually like all the characters pretty much. Bethany is kind of dull though

SPOILER: (highlight to read)
and I don't miss her at all!

Fenris and Anders are fun because I don't mind pissing them off. I take Fenris with me on purpose when I'm going to help a mage - just to annoy him! Anders was a lot more charming in Awakenings though. Evidently he lost his sense of humor when he lost his cat. Also, with Fenris I appreciate the fact that even though I accidentally gave a flirtatious response (I thought that <3 was friendship, not romance >_< ) when he flirted back and I said, "Not interested," he was all, "Dude. That's cool." I just got Sebastian. He's o.k. but kind of preachy. I far prefer Varric for a ranged rogue. And that last fight in the first section? In the Deep Roads? O_O I raged through about 2 hours of epic fail then finally had to drop the difficulty to Normal to beat it.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 01:26 PM   #3544
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

I'm towards the end of Radiant Historia. I haven't stuck with a JRPG this long in a long time! This will be the first time in a long time that I'll actually finish one.... hopefully. Ocarina of Time comes out tomorrow and I kind of want to do a run through of all the Zelda games this summer.

I also have Okamiden sitting here unopened, and a few Atlus games I was able to pick up at my local game store that I haven't tried yet. I'm a horrible person for not playing these games yet.
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #3545
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFujin View Post
I'm towards the end of Radiant Historia. I haven't stuck with a JRPG this long in a long time! This will be the first time in a long time that I'll actually finish one.... hopefully. Ocarina of Time comes out tomorrow and I kind of want to do a run through of all the Zelda games this summer.
How is Radiant Historia? I've been wanting to get it but I'm not sure how much I would like it. Does it have a good plot?

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #3546
Crusader_8
Ask me about my name

Anyone played super mario crossover? It's fun and full of surprises.

Coming soon - my most patriotic costume yet, Captain America!

Cosplays on the Drawing board -
Sam Flynn
Optimus Prime
Black Jack
Crusader_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #3547
Kildread
I can fix it!

Wraping up Dragon Age: Origins.

After I finished the main story itself, the excitement sorta died down, Awakening was OK in part, but glitchy/annoying in others (What, I fully upgrade the keep, the soldiers and leave fully leveled and outfitted characters and they *still* die? I accept the smuggler mission, then guardsmen, and end up bugging both? AND STOP BOOTING ME TO DESKTOP ALREADY). If there's any consequence of importing into DA2, Sigrun, Velanna, Oghren will all be dead.

Then I started the DLC campaigns, which are bite-sized morsels at best. Witch's Hunt was forgettable, Darkspawn Chronicles was annoying (More booting to desktop) and I already dislike the direction they took with Leliana's Song. Golems of something will be last and if the description is any clue, I'll be rage-facing.

Kinda wonder if all this will have freezed my possible enjoyment of Dragon Age 2
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #3548
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
How is Radiant Historia? I've been wanting to get it but I'm not sure how much I would like it. Does it have a good plot?
It is pretty good! It's a war story that's actually pretty mature compared to other JRPGs. It has time travel, but unlike Chrono Trigger you can only travel within a certain timeline (the hero basically has a magical journal and when he records stuff in the journal he can go back to that point). Also, something weird is that the rest of your party doesnt know about the time travel, so you can't bring certain characters to certain points in time. They keep their levels though, which is cool. There's two timelines that you go between that affect each other. It's pretty cool, and the battle system is pretty fun! Being an Atlus game, It's pretty rare.now, but if you can find it it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader_8 View Post
Anyone played super mario crossover? It's fun and full of surprises.
Yes! That game's awesome!
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 11:29 AM   #3549
pltshp
i did what i have to do

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood! I've never played an Ass Creed game until yesterday and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's about time I got to play one, to be honest.
pltshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 01:09 PM   #3550
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
If there's any consequence of importing into DA2, Sigrun, Velanna, Oghren will all be dead.
It will have no effect on DAII. If you import a DA:O game, some of the comments about "The Hero of Ferelden" will be consistent with your gender/orgin. That's about it.

Quote:
Then I started the DLC campaigns, which are bite-sized morsels at best. Witch's Hunt was forgettable, Darkspawn Chronicles was annoying (More booting to desktop) and I already dislike the direction they took with Leliana's Song. Golems of something will be last and if the description is any clue, I'll be rage-facing.
I agree about Witch Hunt (except that I was happy to see my dog again). But I really liked both Darkspawn Chronicles and Lelianna's Song. Do Golems only if you are interested in testing your skills and patience (or if you are an obsessive completionist like me). The story's no great shakes and it is hard as balls. Almost unfairly so. The main thing is that the companions they provide for you completely suck. If your character isn't a mage, then you don't get one. :/

Quote:
Kinda wonder if all this will have freezed my possible enjoyment of Dragon Age 2
Nah. DAII is great. They fixed a lot of stuff, though there are a couple of things that I really miss. Biggest plus is that the battle mechanics are greatly improved. Biggest minus is that the environments are really repetitive. I'm hoping that they'll combine the best of DA:O with the best of DAII for the next one.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 08:25 AM   #3551
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader_8 View Post
Aww did hulk smash?

But srs refund is srs.
They actually did replace the pad without a lot of fuss.

Then I got home and broke the other pad I had.

::Sigh::

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #3552
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Let's see
-Beat CoD:MW and dug it. For the $13 bucks I spent on it, it was fun.
-Started DJ Hero 2 and adore it.
-Downloaded Mass Effect:Galaxies for $1 off of the Iphone App marketplace, because drunk+Mass Effect. It's definetly a $1 game. Also picked up Metroid Prime 3 and Resistance Retribution used at GS in part of a B2G1 free promo.
-Played more Metroid Fusion and Tokyo Beat Down, should have both beaten by the end of the week, then it's time to start Resistance.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #3553
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFujin View Post
It is pretty good! It's a war story that's actually pretty mature compared to other JRPGs. It has time travel, but unlike Chrono Trigger you can only travel within a certain timeline (the hero basically has a magical journal and when he records stuff in the journal he can go back to that point). Also, something weird is that the rest of your party doesnt know about the time travel, so you can't bring certain characters to certain points in time. They keep their levels though, which is cool. There's two timelines that you go between that affect each other. It's pretty cool, and the battle system is pretty fun! Being an Atlus game, It's pretty rare.now, but if you can find it it's worth it.
Oh cool. Now I really want to play it. XD I should have bought it right away since I love the games Atlus puts out but I don't know why I hesitated with this one. Guess I'll have to comb the stores in the area and find it.

Personally I got my copy of Ocarina of Time and am playing that. The 3ds is finally getting some use.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 11:48 AM   #3554
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
But I really liked both Darkspawn Chronicles and Lelianna's Song. Do Golems only if you are interested in testing your skills and patience (or if you are an obsessive completionist like me). The story's no great shakes and it is hard as balls. Almost unfairly so. The main thing is that the companions they provide for you completely suck. If your character isn't a mage, then you don't get one. :/
I don't very much like the fighting system in Dragon Age: Origins, unless it's against a major boss enemy (Like High Dragons), it's normally all about lots of critters swarming all over you. Which is essentially what Darkspawn Chronicles is, except you are the critters. How it seemed to like booting me back to desktop each map transition didn't help my enjoyment.

Leliana's Song was.... badly presented. It finished OK, I guess. I think they tried to pull some kind of 'TV-like' naration with the strange character intros (Where they display the name with their face in a red/white screen). The whole Leliana/Marjolaine thing was jjjussstt as annoying as I expected. Much prefer the Origins Leliana, if anything.

Golems was fun, it played like some kind of horror story and the difficulty was through the roof. If I had played it at Hard or above, I,d have rage,d at Normal it was passable. With the Golem fully upgraded, you can get around the thing about having no mage sorta decently.

Quote:
Nah. DAII is great. They fixed a lot of stuff, though there are a couple of things that I really miss. Biggest plus is that the battle mechanics are greatly improved. Biggest minus is that the environments are really repetitive. I'm hoping that they'll combine the best of DA:O with the best of DAII for the next one.
I'm on the opposite on that part, DA2 feels like an action game. The combat is very fast, focusing on lots of pausing, ability usage, more pausing, more retargeting. Each encounter starts with a few enemies, and quickly more join the fray through doors, over the walls, coming up through the freaking floor (shades) like DA2 version of the Blight, except without Darkspawn.

I'm beginning to think they used the same kind of logic for DA2 that they did when they made Mass Effect 2, it works decently in shooting games, it doesn't work that well in melee combat.

I kinda miss the Baldur's Gate 2 era where you could end up fighting a few unique enemies and had to carefully plan your roles and spells accordingly instead of fighting it out in a blitz clusterfuck.

Otherwise, the game plays well, it looks a bit better, the writing is just as good. Though on that part, it's slightly annoying how it seems impossible to follow the companion stories without starting a romance subplot.

Yes Anders, I really want to know about Justice and everything, I'm just not interested in you. On the other hand, I sure wouldn't mind romancing Isabela.

Wait, why am I being thrown flirt lines all over the place with the males as soon as you meet them, but not the women?

I miss the time when companion stories in Bioware games were about background, career and the like, not about who you want to e-hump.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #3555
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

I took a break from my 2nd DA2 playthrough and went back the Honest Hearts DLC in Fallout: New Vegas. I'm nearly done. I did finish it, but I'm going for the last achievement now. I might end up going back and playing more New Vegas after it, getting other endings and doing more quests.

Quote:
Otherwise, the game plays well, it looks a bit better, the writing is just as good. Though on that part, it's slightly annoying how it seems impossible to follow the companion stories without starting a romance subplot.
Really? I didn't feel that way at all. The romance option is always there, but you don't need to pick it! I did a bunch of companion sidequests with Merrill and Anders especially, but I was romancing Isabela and never flirted with the others.

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote