Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Review: loserific / Ashli

Name of Commissioner: loserific
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/member/15147/
Character commissioned: Tenshi from Touhou Project
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Nothing recieved.

Timeline: Costume ordered and a down payment made in November 2010 for May 2011. Nothing was recieved. Sporadic email contact in the months to come... no progress or material photos (both requested) delivered until one week to deadline (at which poin the costume had only just been begun). Order cancelled in May. Refund promised in June. Refund recieved in September 2011 after a complaint to the BBB and another user's intervention.

Describe your Experience: See email transcripts at the end of this message for a taste of the timeline and style of runaround I recieved.

Pros: Ashli is a pleasant and professional person who was quite kind in the early stages and laid out quite precisely what I wanted and the materials it would be made from. Contact in the first month was daily.

Courteous, if late, in replying to complaints as well. Offered an amicable solution to the issue of non-delivery (though it was not honored in a timely manner).

Cons: No costume. Almost no contact. Promised refund not recieved until nearly one year after the deal was entered into. Lots and lots of excuses. Others had virtually identical issues and are recieving the same run-around.

Comments: I didn't recieve the item promised before the deadline requested. I didn't recieve it at all. Contact has been sketchy and promises empty.

Final Grade: 0/10 (nothing recieved, incredibly poor communication and follow-through)

Some of our email transcripts follow:

(May 15 ~ to loserific)

I recieved this email from another member of cosplay.com.
Hopefully it will actually be read.

The last message I recieved from you:

"4/14

Hello! Sorry, I did get your last message I just forgot. I'm putting on a cosplay picnic this Saturday so I've been just hoping on and off cosplay.com.

Anywho, I bought the majority of the supplies yesterday and I plan to start sewing by the end of the week. I should have progress shots by Monday, hopefully.

Thanks for being patient and talk to you soon!

Ashli"

Monday = 4/18
Today's Date = 5/15
My event = 5/28

The original request/terms =
still up as they always were here - http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/s.../36378/cat/500

This request was made in November... there has been more than enough time to complete it in a timely manner.

I"m leaving the country in July and have already begin shipping items home. I have no use for a costume I can't wear for the event I intended to wear it to... nor do I want pay the price to ship it to Japan only to turn around and ship it back. Even if I recieved it at this point, it would be too late to work out a wig, shoes and any adjustments I need. I can't make my event deadline now.

In light of having not received any of the promised photos on the dates promised and having recieved no evidence of work on the costume and no courtesy/update emails, I can only assume that it won't be finished on time. It's no skin off my back, provided I can receive a full refund.

Please let me know how to go about doing so.

Sincerely,
- (kiratsukai)"

(May 17 ~ from loserific)

Hello,

I am extremely sorry for my delay. I've been meaning to send you an e-mail (I went through the paypal e-mail) for about a week and a half now though I can honestly say that I have been extremely busy with work and personal issues. I am about halfway finished with the costume and hope that you would still like to go through with this even though I understand your situation. I have no problem shipping it to your home in the US. The whole costume would be ready in the first week of June. I have the shirt almost done, the skirt is about halfway through, and the apron is still being worked out. Like I said, I have had progress to show for about a week and a half now and purchased the fabric about three weeks ago, it's just been a matter of me getting the time to e-mail you.

Because of the situation, I can offer a full refund or 25% off the total order if you want the costume completed. I do hope that you choose to go through with the order though.

If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know. I apologize again for my extreme delay and lack of communication. I hope that we can work something out.

Thank you and talk to you soon,

Ashli

(May 19 ~ to loserific)

I had to put a bit of thought into this one.

Here's my situation: I will be moving in July after a period of a few weeks without a set residence. I'll go into another month of about the same... with no address or transportation. Having new items arrive at this point is really a HUGE hassle.

I may be willing to take the costume at the discounted rate ~if~ and only if you can provide photos of what is currently finished. That means I need a bit of honesty on your part -- if nothing is finished, great. The materials can be used for something else... If a good deal is already in progress ~ then I would feel badly sticking you with the half-completed project.

Even if I were to take the costume -- it would be another 3 months until I were able to actually recieve it at any remotely stable address and then it would likely not be worn as I have no events lined up in the USA (all my event plans were in Japan).

Level with me, let me know what is complete (without rushing to complete more last minute) and we'll talk.

Thanks,

-----no reply-------

(May 28, to loserific)

I would like a full refund before the end of June.

I'm taking lack of response to the previous offer as a refusal.

No more negotiations.

It isn't going to work out. I'd like my money back.

Thank you,
(kiratsukai on cosplay.com)

Update 9/19/2011 : Ashli is actively in contact with newer customers while ignoring my emails (3 of them) and requests for refunds. BBB complaint filed along with the others. You can see her rating and file your own complaints here -- http://www.la.bbb.org/business-revie...s-CA-100107579

Shortly after filing this complaint and the intervention of another user on this website, I recieved my refund of 182.50 via paypal.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 09-19-2011 at 10:06 PM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Here is my review on the same commissioner. So those who see this thread can know it wasn't a one time issue.

~Cure deviantART Tumblr Fan Page~

Vote for me at the Otaku House costume contest!!
Axelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Funhouse
icon by riku sora chan

It's interesting how she's pulled this with, so far, two people but then suddenly is taking commissions in the marketplace. \:

Could be attending Phoenix Comic Con
Aboslutely going to San Diego Comic Con
Maybe Anime Vegas?
Sailor Jupiter, Alice, maybe steampunk?
Funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Well, in her defense, she did offer to me to help make alterations to it since she lives 2 hours from me. Since she screwed up on it and my butt sticks out the back 8|

But... yeah. I'm pretty sure she's getting commissions right now to be able to pay Kira's refund. Then she'll continue this cycle I'm guessing.

It is a bit irritating how she's ripping us off, then offers more commissions. You'd think she would fix all the problems with her current customers first before trying to take on more.

Unread 06-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
Crimson_sword
The dangerous quiet one

I had the same problem with her. I didn't do a review but that was because I didn't think of it at the time. I got my refund though but it was only for a portion of what my mom and I actually paid her.
I commissioned two outfits from her: Beast for Kuroshitsuji and Avatar Kyoshi from Avatar the Last Airbender. I myself was going to pay for Beast, which was rather expensive, and my mom was going to pay for Kyoshi and she knew this. I sent a quote request last September, sent payment in October, and sent measurements in October. After sending measurements this was the email I reseived:
Thanks for the measurements! I'll start drafting the patterns soon. I'll send you an update when I complete them and buy fabric, or when I buy any other supplies.
Never got the update.
Then time passed and communication became slow and all of her promises for progress pictures never occured...
Then when I did get them they were all for Kyoshi and the only one I ever got regarding beast was the wig half styled.
I had requested this for a time around christmas...though she didn't do it then, nor did she do it by the even I wanted it for (a con at the end of january.)
She had made my mom and me extremely upset and to be honest my mom has said that we're never using her again.

Oh and the Kyoshi costume was supposed to be my mom's christmas present to me so my christmas present wasn't a costume just money that I could only use online.

Here is her excuse for why she didn't get them done ontime:
I want to be honest with you as to why I did not have this complete in time. When I first received your measurements, I held off on drafting/draping the patterns because I wanted to get my old dress form that had your sizes so I could make sure the fit was close as possible. The form was with my family in Texas, so I waited and thought it would be shipped soon. I ended up coming home for Christmas, saw it, and asked to have it shipped. When January came along, I figured they weren't going to ship it(or really just kept forgetting to) so I started to draft. I had a lot of orders for Anime LA, which was the second weekend in the month, so that took some time. When I finally got over that I was going to start work on both of your costumes, giving me at least a week or two to complete them. Then the music video I had been working on decided to get back on track and shoot the next week. (Like I told you earlier, the last week was full of preparing for that) When everything was said and done, I started work on your orders but simply ran out of time.

Ohayocon
Crimson_sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Crimson, sorry to hear you had the same troubles.

I encourage you to leave feedback on Ashli's marketplace page as well.

One more negative and she's in the red, something far more likely to be noticed by prospective customers than our comments in this forum.

As for my status:

I sent Ashli a message asking when to expect my refund...

No answer.

Unread 06-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

I find it interesting that being honest is supposed to kind of make up for not getting to the cosplays and getting them done in time. What's up with hardly any communication until the costumes are passed due? If you want to be honest with your customers, shouldn't you be in contact the whole time? I for one, really don't care what the reason is, if you paid for a service, you should get it by the agreed upon time. The commissioners (not all!) on here have made me so cold hearted, which I'm not at all! They really need to figure out how to manage their time. To be told I'm last on your priority list just enrages me. DO NOT run a business if you don't have the work ethic or the business mentality. It is beyond irritating. I hope the cosplay community comes together and stops commissioning altogether from commissioners like this. Seems the only way commissioners who can't get it together are going to learn...you can't treat customers like this.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
kiratsukai
culture shocked

I'm about to begin filing complaints with consumer agencies, since Ashli has again stopped responding to my emails (without providing the promised refund).

Trying to compile a list of websites she operates under.

Is this site connected to Ashli?
http://loserificfashions.com/

Any others?

Unread 06-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
tehkukikookie
Uses galaxies as shuriken

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
I'm about to begin filing complaints with consumer agencies, since Ashli has again stopped responding to my emails (without providing the promised refund).

Any others?
It is :3 http://loserificfashions.com/index.php?id=6

Otakon 2012
Red Dress/SMS Klang Klang, Kida, Micro Klan Klang, Aisha Clan Clan, Ms.Fortune

Toki Wartooth
tehkukikookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #10
Axelai
I'm Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post

Any others?
Poking around the website, it links to her coscom page. So yes, it is.

Good luck with the complaint!

Unread 06-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #11
sailortintin
Xenofreak

She answered my message about my wig. Granted, its not due until August but from the bad reviews and untimely deliveries, I'm canceling and finding someone else. She offered to refund me the money left from the base wig and ship it out, but at my expense.

Dragoon Miranda remake (Legend of Dragoon): 20%
Princess Agitha (Zelda): 10%
Princess Eclair (La Pucelle): 40%
sailortintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #12
Karitsa
The Black Sheep

Wow. This is surprising and disappointing at the same time. I'll have to frequent this thread for a hopeful update...

Nerdy stuff for sale on my deviantART page!
CUSTOM MY LITTLE PONY TOYS ALSO AVAILABLE
Karitsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 04:44 AM   #13
kiratsukai
culture shocked

With multiple other people surfacing who have been taken for a ride by Ashli, the amount of money in question is also rising.

How much is everyone out? If the totals are high enough, it may be worth it to band together and pursue some sort of legal action...

Unread 07-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #14
Darkspine29
Queen of Plantains

I contacted her early in January for a costume I wanted for Otakon. She was very amiable in the beginning and I would receive updates every time I e-mailed her. She set me pictures of the base wig I ordered and it looked as if she had already stared styling it.

That was three months ago. I emailed her about a week ago because I had not heard from her for quite a while and I have yet to receive a response. She was supposed to have shipped my costume out two days ago. Otakon is now in two weeks and it looks as if I will be out of my main costume. I sent her a down payment of about 250$ and have not received any offers for a refund. I would be willing to help in anyway possible to get peoples money back.

And also a question: When is the last date when people heard from her? The last email I got was May 6th. If they all stop at a certain date it could be that something has happened to her (trying to be an optimist here.)

Last edited by Darkspine29 : 07-17-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Darkspine29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #15
Funhouse
icon by riku sora chan

She's pretty much fine I would assume as she updated her DA account a few weeks ago saying she was busy with things.

Edit: It looks like she DELETED the journal entry she made a few weeks back on her DA (http://theloserific.deviantart.com/) As the recent journal talks about the group that was supposedly eating up her time. There is also a few hidden comments on her page. Possibly comments asking about refunds or commissions. She still has the Mercury commission up from last month and such that was proof she was still around. I'm seriously glad I never got a commission from her, this is ridiculous. There was also the problem of her making another ad on the marketplace right after the journal when she still had so many costumes that were never done.

Could be attending Phoenix Comic Con
Aboslutely going to San Diego Comic Con
Maybe Anime Vegas?
Sailor Jupiter, Alice, maybe steampunk?

Last edited by Funhouse : 07-17-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote