Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Video Game Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #3661
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader_8 View Post
Gamestop asked for my resignation, claiming that my long time with the company has taken its toll and I'm supposedly no longer engaged in my customer service and other responsibilities blah blah blah.

So now I have lotsa time playing ssf4AE and mocarina of time! I'm depressed.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I don't know about GameStop in particular, but I do know of places that, if sales are down for whatever reason, they will fire long-time staff (who have higher salaries) both to cut costs and as scapegoats.

You know, I've also noticed that GameStop clerks have been a lot pushier lately about trying to make me pre-order stuff or buy things that I don't really want. I have no doubt that they are being told to do it and I really really hate it. It's so obnoxious. Is shoving things down people's throats what they mean by "customer service" now? I wouldn't blame you for not doing it. Good luck to you in moving on to your next gig.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #3662
Mizioki
Crownless King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
So after all of that, you still haven't said anything about the actual game play. It's great that you consider Suda to be a visionary but that doesn't change the fact that NMH has COUNTLESS things wrong with it when it comes down the gameplay. It takes a lot of style for me to overlook bad gameplay and NMH's satire stance does go far enough to make it worth the ride. It's simply not a fun game to play, whatever commentary on the gaming/anime world he may have. I'm not buying NHM for the Ps3 because, even with all the graphical updates they're making, THEY AREN'T CHANGING THE CRAPPY GAMEPLAY.

CONVERSELY, though it's short and has a lot of the problems as RE4 (not 5), a game that is 6 years old, SOTD DOES do enough things different thematically to overlook the clunky engine the game has. That game is witty and funny and not a complete fucking chore to play, and yeah the phallic imagry grows old QUICKLY (the second time you have to jerk off a torch should be the last time you have to jerk off a torch), but it's fun to play and interesting and has a pretty amazing soundtrack. It is, without a doubt, Japan's best video game representative for satirizing american exploitation films.

That being said, Mikami still needs someone to reel him in because the camera in SOTD is a joke.
well atleast now you honestly gave some positive reviews now which is all i was looking for.

im not mad at all but its just i respect what he tries to do because obviously suda doesnt make the entire game all on his own. he does the best part of the game but the problem is what he gets provided to him sort of lacks. you never mentioned Killer 7 or any of his older games that why i didnt like your review about his choice of work.

Suda is making a sequel to the game, and this time it'll be on a better console,better graphics meaning alot more space for him to use up to actually make the game perfect. and im sure he'll make it happen.
Mizioki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #3663
Kildread
I can fix it!

Yeah, good luck finding better employment, Crusader_8!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
You know, I've also noticed that GameStop clerks have been a lot pushier lately about trying to make me pre-order stuff or buy things that I don't really want. I have no doubt that they are being told to do it and I really really hate it. It's so obnoxious. Is shoving things down people's throats what they mean by "customer service" now? I wouldn't blame you for not doing it. Good luck to you in moving on to your next gig.
...each time I've set foot in a GameStop/EBGames, or most other large store chains, they always tried to make me register for extra crap.

Whether it's a magazine subscription, advertise upcoming titles or warranties on your games (That one boggles my mind).

I kind of appreciate the small family gamestore chain that's local to here, people are friendly, the prices aren't jacked up and I can buy my stuff without going through a preset list of "Are you interested in X?" everytime I buy something.

Oh, and their used games are in very good condition, with boxes and manuals.

----

I've wrapped up Darksiders, loved it. Would play more like it.

Started inFamous.... which I'm finding mediocre so far. I'm playing the doofus mode (AKA: Evil) first so my good playthrough is the one I keep in the end.

I'm near the end and I regret taking the decision to play it twice. Combat is all kinds of lack-luster, spamming projectiles all over the place, something I'm tolerant of in melee combat, but not so much in shooters. The story hasn't managed to impress me a whole lot, and I definitively loathe the platforming elements.

The number of times Cole suddenly just went right through an item he should be hanging on, how he keeps veering off to grab onto what I don't want him to grab (Especially when avoid enemies or seeking cover and he keeps hanging on crap). He moves in the strange way Uncharted does, with unnecessary movements and strange floating motions.. except it doesn't work too well in this setting.

I'm hoping the 2nd is better, because right now it goes in my stack of games where I don't get the popular appeal of.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #3664
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

Playing Big Bang Mini for the 4th since it seemed appropriate for the holiday.
DarkFujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #3665
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizioki View Post
well atleast now you honestly gave some positive reviews now which is all i was looking for.

im not mad at all but its just i respect what he tries to do because obviously suda doesnt make the entire game all on his own. he does the best part of the game but the problem is what he gets provided to him sort of lacks. you never mentioned Killer 7 or any of his older games that why i didnt like your review about his choice of work.

Suda is making a sequel to the game, and this time it'll be on a better console,better graphics meaning alot more space for him to use up to actually make the game perfect. and im sure he'll make it happen.
I didn't mention killer 7 because that game is fucking awful. It's not even game, it's a bunch of concepts loosely wrapped together into the worst light gun game ever. I don't even consider it in the same league as his other games because his other games make sense when it comes to progression. Killer7 is a complete mess from top to bottom and it really should have been taken back to the drawing board or cancelled. Deadly Premonitions is a more complete game than Killer7 and DP is pretty terrible.

But yeah, SOTD is by FAR Suda51's more playable games(not that that's saying much). It does a lot of things right, even though there's a lot wrong with it, but I feel it's worth playing through at least once. Maybe in the future, SUDA51 and Itagaki will get together and make something pretty interesting. Those two seem like they would get along. Meanwhile, SOTD really makes me wonder what Tango Studios is up to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweihander View Post
In Suda's quest to parody bad video game design, his pretentiousness got the best of him. As a result, his "parody" ironically equaled to legitimate poor design choices.
Brilliantly said. The best thing Shinji Mikami did for SOTD was at least focus the direction of the gameplay so the thematic "artistic" decisions didn't make the game a god damn slog.

Played like, 150 rounds of Marvel with Sephygoth over the weekend. Totally fun. The seems of that game really start to show when you play that much with teams that are so similar.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~

Last edited by Mesoian : 07-05-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 08:40 AM   #3666
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

I've supported my local GS for years, so I really have no problem with the employees. As someone who used to work behind the register, I know where they're coming from, as you're literlly forced to survey customers if you want to keep your job. Toys R Us is the same way these days from what I hear if you're a cashier, so it's not like stupid-corporate politics is limited to GS/EB. I do actually pre-order my stuff though, only because Best Buy is usually terrible when it comes to actually getting their special editions in, especially if it's from a niche publisher like Atlus.

Started playing Metroid Prime Trilogy, which I adore, as well as some shumps this weekend, as I was buzzed for most of the weekend, and that is what you do when your buzzed and not watching netflix. I played some Soul Cal 1, and played a little more inFAMOUS, which like Kildread said, is pretty mediocre. Especially after coming off of ASS ASS CREED.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #3667
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
I kind of appreciate the small family gamestore chain that's local to here, people are friendly, the prices aren't jacked up and I can buy my stuff without going through a preset list of "Are you interested in X?" everytime I buy something.
Yeah, wish we had a similar option around where I live. But it's pretty much GS or Best Buy or a Big Box Store and Game Stop always has the best selection. But even then, I end up getting some stuff online.
Unread 07-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #3668
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

*double post due to server being a dick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starwind824 View Post
I've supported my local GS for years, so I really have no problem with the employees. As someone who used to work behind the register, I know where they're coming from, as you're literlly forced to survey customers if you want to keep your job.
I hear ya. And I don't hold it against the employees as I know it comes from corporate. Other than the hard sell, the clerks are always really friendly and helpful.
Unread 07-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #3669
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

I usually go to either the closest Gamestop to me (which is like a two minute drive, no joke. Gamestops are like Starbucks, there's one on every corner), a local game store called Fair Game which usually has hella cheap prices on current-gen games but doesn't always have the newest games. Also, I trust their games to always be in the top condition since they constantly clean and refurbish everything. They mostly specialize in older games though, and sometimes the prices of those can be jacked up but as I said, I know they work. The other place I go to is Dimple Records, a chain store I didn't realize until fairly recently is exclusive to the Sacramento area (and there's one in Davis, but Davis is the hipster version of Sacramento anyway). They mostly sell music but each store has a corner dedicated to gaming. Since it's a music store, they have no idea how much games are worth and have either hella cheap prices (Tetris DS complete for $15? FFVII black label complete for $7?) or they have just plain stupid pricing (they still sell used copies of Bioshock 1 and Sonic 2006 at $60!) They have an awesome rewards program though so you can get things hella cheap. However, they also have no way of checking their games to make sure they work, and employees don't even know how to look at the CD to see if data is warped or check a cartridge to see if it's missing connectors, so oftentimes they sell shit that doesn't work.

Out of these stores, Gamestop is the only one that has tried to get me buy extra stuff, and that's the Edge card (or whatever they call it now). Gamestop is also the big retail chain out of all of those stores. But when I go to Gamestop they don't seem too pushy. I give them my phone number so they can look up my card, they circle the little survey thingy on the receipt without saying anything about it, we chat for a bit, then I'm on my way. Maybe it's just because they all know me so they don't try to push things on me? But they don't seem too pushy if I go to different stores either though.

I don't really blame employees acting pushy though. I had a job once at an office supply store where we had to sell rewards cards, warranties, pens, and ask for a dollar donation to help local schools all in the same fucking transaction. Not only that, but the cash registers were right in front of the manager's office, and he had a window looking at the registers. And he'd watch you your entire shift and if he caught you not trying to sell all that stuff and he'd call you out on it. They also kept track of who was selling what. It was a very frustrating job and most of the customers would be pissed off that you had to keep asking if they want to buy extra stuff. So yeah, I've totally been there so I don't get mad at the poor minimum wage kid being forced to get you to sign up for stuff.
Unread 07-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #3670
Archelon
An Old-Fashioned Cowboy

...I think that may just be the most I've ever seen you type in a single post on here.
Archelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #3671
DarkFujin
Lang Zhi says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archelon View Post
...I think that may just be the most I've ever seen you type in a single post on here.
I'm honestly not even sure what the point of my wall of text even was. lol
But yeah I'm generally typing on my phone (like now and my last post) so I hate trying too type too much even if I want to.
Unread 07-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #3672
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

::whines:: Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 Confirmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Capcom Why Do You Do This To Me?!?!

Unread 07-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #3673
Archelon
An Old-Fashioned Cowboy

Because it's Capcom?
Archelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #3674
Syrinx
Love and Peace!!

*sigh* capcom... *shakes an angry fist*
they're one of my favorite companies, but as i've discussed with my friends (and you guys discuss here) i'm tired of them charging us for every little thing. 5 dollars for costumes, and a new version of a game every couple months... blah!

Sumia 25%
Link (OoT) 50%
Bowser 100% (repair work)
Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #3675
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...antasy_rhythm/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TbGjt-weA