Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > AMē

Unread 07-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
NiGHTmaren
...into Dreams
Modoka Magica

AM2 2011 Feedback Thread

This thread is for posting your thoughts/opinions on AM2 2011!

From your experience this year, what were the pros and cons? What were the highlights and lowlights? Would you return again next year?

Also, you can discuss the particulars of the convention, such as the events, panels, masquerade, dances, etc., as well as what you thought about the con and hotel staff, the hotel, convention space, food, dealer's room, attendees, and whatever else pertaining to this year's AM2!

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Holiday Matsuri (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Suzie Q from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Edea Lee (various versions) from Bravely Default, Robotnik (genderbend) from Sonic, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
NiGHTmaren is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
Sexy Kat-Kashi
Random Red Headed Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hime no Toki View Post
This thread is for posting your thoughts/opinions on AM2 2011!

From your experience this year, what were the pros and cons? What were the highlights and lowlights? Would you return again next year?

Also, you can discuss the particulars of the convention, such as the events, panels, masquerade, dances, etc., as well as what you thought about the con and hotel staff, the hotel, convention space, food, dealer's room, attendees, and whatever else pertaining to this year's AM2!
I really enjoyed the con it was very laid back it seemed which made me enjoy it.
Only even slight issue I had with the con it that me and a few friends were told to come back to dealers hall before it closed at 6 on Sunday so we could buy something since we had to go to a panel. But when we got back to the dealers hall at about 5:45 or so it was already closed pretty much that no one else could go in to buy things.

Costumes - SnJ Kakashi, Orihime, Chizuru, Raver Konan, Gothic Lolita Konan, Cheshire Cat, White Rabbit, Donna Noble, Femme!Tenth, Alice, Gotham High Ivy, Janet Weiss, Vidia, Femme!PeterPan.
Sexy Kat-Kashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
AuroraHermione

All in all I thought it was great for a first year convention. I do have a few suggestions/comments though:
~The Artist Alley was in a strange area, and it seemed like a lot of people didn't know where it was or missed it. I think it would have been better had it been switched with the Matsuri area, and closer to the dealers hall, rather than on the other side.
~The Matsuri music was way too loud! We had a table in the AA and at times we were having a lot of trouble doing business because the music was so loud, we couldn't talk to customers and they left. We honestly felt that it negatively impacted our sales. The stage should have been much further from the Artist Alley/other activities or the sound should have been much lower. We did speak to con staff, who said that each group chose the volume, which I don't think is ideal. The convention should dictate a max volume so that it doesn't interfere with other parts of the convention.

AuroraHermione is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
ReverseTrap
Gender Bender

I enjoyed the con a lot. It did well for its first year. But maybe next year the dates should not coincide with Anime Expo for more attendees (and to make it less obvious that they were competing.) Also, the events in the main hall should be open later because the convention center didn't have that many people inside. Overall, the con had a great atmosphere and I cannot wait for next year.
ReverseTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
Access

I went to a concert every day and I enjoyed them all, and all the musical guests seemed to be really enjoying themselves.

I agree about the music in the exhibit hall. Maybe have the prime times for dealers and artists limited to atmospheric music. I also would have liked to have seen more artists in artists' alley. And more cosplayers, just in general. The concentration of dealers was actually pretty good and I was happy with what I could find in the dealers hall.

It's hard to complain about the con itself, the staff was very friendly, the lines were well-managed and it seemed like the concert hall was about the right size.

BTW I don't believe it was intentional that it was held at the same time as AX.

One thing to add it was nice to see Kanon participating in the masquerade.

Last edited by Access : 07-05-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #6
LelouchYamazaki
Prince in the Mountain

It was a very enjoyable con for its first year,

a few things I could say in my opinion:

things were running late a few times, having me dash around to catch the next one to find out it was also late, but was mostly panels concerts were great thou I only caught Scandal and Kanon x Kanon.

I had missed artist alley a few times since I did see the matsuri and exhibit but when I saw consoles I saw the AA after that was fun.

and thats about it, it was fun while I was there...oh and for meet and greats longer next time please I know there were tons of people especially for Scandal but all the people who were there had question mine was missed.
LelouchYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 03:56 AM   #7
ElCapitan
Dictator

First off, thanks to everyone who has replied in this thread, as well as those who do so in the future. We greatly appreciate any constructive feedback. I'll try to respond as time allows.

@Sexy Kat-Kashi: Glad to hear you enjoyed con. Sorry to hear about you missing the dealers you wanted. While the Exhibits area was technically open until 6pm, I noticed at around 5pm or so that most of the vendors had started packing up early. In the future, I'd suggest that you try to make any purchases at least 2 hrs before the scheduled closing time. There will always be some vendors shutting down before Exhibits actually closes, just to get a head start on moveout. I've seen this in other cons as well, which leads me to believe it's typical of conventions in general (not just anime cons).

@AuroraHermione: Thanks for the suggestion regarding Artist Alley. I believe that the room was arranged that way so that people sitting at the tables inside the pirate and game areas would be able to see the stage better. We reconsider the layout each year, and I'll mention this in the planning of 2012. Agreed on the Summer Festival music volumes, I proposed a solution on Day 1, and it is my hope to see it implemented next year.

@ReverseTrap: While nothing has been officially announced, I can say that we certainly enjoy Anaheim and alternate dates have already been discussed. I think most people can agree that it's best for both parties if we avoid sharing the weekend with AX.

@Access: We'll be working on bringing in more artists in the future. I think that as a first year con, many exhibitors and artists were hesitant to have booths/tables with us. That said, people seem to have overwhelmingly appreciated con this year. Now that we've established ourselves, I think people will be a lot more willing to commit.

@LelouchYamazaki: At the very least, we'll work on having better signage for any parts of the hall that are less visible in future years. Sorry about the short time for the Meet and Greets. After the Day 1 M&G, we saw that very many people weren't able to get in, and cut down on the time between cycles to fix this issue. While doing so obviously means each attendee gets less time with the guests, we felt it was much more fair than having a ton of people get completely left out.

Derf Tang
Operations Director, AMē 2012
ElCapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
Wren
Please...try harder.

Think we had more fun at AM2 this year, everyone seemed friendlier and more mature, no running around screaming or clogging the walkways.

Very laid back and nice, hope you guys can grow some more next year but still keep the laid back feel

Expo was way overcrowded.

Wouldnt mind going to AM2 again though.

2013 Cosplay Plans(Tentative)
[Marvel vs Capcom 3/Resident Evil 5] Wesker
[DC Comics] Kyle Rainer - Green Lantern
[Marvel Comics] Dr. Strange
Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #9
daylight
Sugar Junkie

pros:
really laid back and low key

easy to get around/ organized

friendly staff

clean

cons:
I noticed allot of people were confused/aggravated about the passport situation
The differences between the 3 day, 1, day, single event ticket/wrist band seemed a little excessive

The performances for the summer festival were nice, but it was a little hard to eat, and sit down and talk with friends with all that going on, it was really loud
It would have been easier for me and my friends to have had the tables for eating elsewhere

overall
Great for a fist convention, it was above my expectations
I was only able to be there for Friday, but it was great, and I had soo much fun
Sadie concert was my first concert
and AM^2 was my first Convention
and I had an amazing and unforgettable time
Unread 07-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
LelouchYamazaki
Prince in the Mountain

we did about the same, day 2 I grabbed some adobo and takoyaki sat by the stage it was the harujuku girls was so loud we couldnt talked and moved near the console room.
LelouchYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #11
KUJO3423

I agree that AM 2 was super relaxed and easy to get around. My friends and I had a great time wondering around the dealers tables but I have a few suggestions:

1) Lowering the volume of the stage. It was impossible to talk to people standing right next to you when you were anywhere near the stage.
2) Having signs in the front/side (we drove up on the side the Marriott? was on) of the convention center because we almost weren't sure AM2 was going on since we didn't see anyone wondering outside or signs pointing out AM2 was inside.
3) The food trucks were a great idea but I was a little sad to see only three there on Sunday. Not blaming you guys, I figured it was a busy holiday weeekend they might not have gotten enough business Fri and Sat so they left early.

Overall I would go back to AM2 next year, especially since it is free. I wouldn'y mind paying a small fee to enter in the future. Please bring more dealers, artists and video games to the arcade. See you guys next year!

PS- The AC setting was perfect and where were you selling your shirts/buttons/etc. I wanted to get a shirt but never saw where to purchase one.
KUJO3423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #12
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Just put it on a different weekend and in a hotel.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 02:03 PM   #13
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Duque View Post
Just put it on a different weekend and in a hotel.
Except that if it was on a different weekend, it may suddenly become too big for just a hotel...
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #14
El_Duque
miyoshi82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
Except that if it was on a different weekend, it may suddenly become too big for just a hotel...
IMO AM2 tried to start off too big by using the ACC and the fact that it was on the same weekend as AX didn't help them either.

The only way to fix this is get a different weekend which so many are wishing for and at a venue which is best suited for them that has that availability.
El_Duque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
Thymidine

Truthfully, you cannot believe the ANN article. Our concerts were maximum 1338 seating and except for heidi. we filled in all the seats. (Not the 500 that they mentioned). They also went out of their way to take photos of areas that were closed off to attendees and also take photos of the exhibit hall DURING the kanonxkanon concert. Here's a photo of our hall on Saturday not during the concert:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...026173_n .jpg

Honestly, AM2 is TOO big for a hotel. Different dates is a must though.
Thymidine is offline   Reply With Quote