Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 72 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
GlassCannon

Game of Thrones - HBO series

I was shocked to find that this thread didn't exist already! A search of the forums turned up lots of people working on Game of Thrones costumes, but not a single central thread like so many other shows and movies have. So I thought it was about time someone started one! There are so many cool costumes from the show, and often cases quite different from what was described in the books, that I'm sure there's a lot of interest in GoT cosplay.

Can't wait to see what everyone is working on! I'll put my questions in a follow-up post.
Samantha Winchester - Winchester Sisters (Supernatural genderswap) - 100%, adding props
Abaddon - As Time Goes By dress (Supernatural) - 90%
GlassCannon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
GlassCannon

I'm considering adding a Daenerys costume to my Dragon*Con line up for this year, specifically her first Dothraki outfit, that she wears through the middle part of this past season:

At the moment I'm just planning and sourcing materials, and I can't for the life of me figure out what sort of fabric to use for her top. After looking a lot of screenshots, it's quite definitely woven out of a fairly rough/nubly material. Any thoughts on what it could be?
Samantha Winchester - Winchester Sisters (Supernatural genderswap) - 100%, adding props
Unread 07-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
GraelynRose
I am the Bad Wolf

I want to make a Daeny and/or an Arya among other characters met later on in the series.
Katsucon
AwesomeCon
Clovercon
Wizard World Philly
Otakon
L.I. Who
"You're the one that I love, and I'm saying goodbye. Say something. I'm giving up on you."
GraelynRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 11:51 PM   #4
DaniiChan
something clever.

I too am making that outfit (as you already know) I expect I will see a lot of people in it as it's so badass lol Yet so difficult....

Anyone have any leads on where to find the belts/something similar? Been searching the internet with no luck...

I think I'm also going to make a Meera cosplay for Dragon*Con cause it can be simple and I can totally make it up.... It will be so obscure that nobody will know who I am XD

For those who don't know, Meera is a character in the books that will probably appear second (I think?) season.
DaniiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 02:21 AM   #5
Thia Fayne
casually topless

Oh yay, I'm so glad someone started this thread!

I did a book!version of Daenerys back in 2009, and I'm working on an Arya cosplay from the TV series right now, to be worn at San Diego Comic-Con in just over a week! I can't wait to see other people's costumes, ASOIAF/GOT definitely deserves more cosplay *u*
Thia Fayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
Elendriel
God of Mischief

For her top you could probably use burlap (like what the Scarecrow costumers use from Batman), or canvas, and that would let it shred the way it's supposed to on the bottom and you can dye it the darker color if you can't find it in that color. Just a thought

I've already done Joffrey Baratheon's first costume and working on his second. I hate the character but I love the clothes haha. Love/hate relationship ftw lol

*Planned cons for 12*
WW Chicago, TVD NJ, Dragon*Con, AWA, NYCC, Chicago TARDIS, Youmacon, TVD Orlando
Elendriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
Skxawng

I'm doing Khal Drogo hopefully in time for Otakon, but if not, for halloween.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniiChan View Post
I too am making that outfit (as you already know) I expect I will see a lot of people in it as it's so badass lol Yet so difficult....
The top in particular is the most difficult bit, for sure. The mechanics behind the garment seem pretty straightforward, but the weaving itself is critical. I don't think that burlap would be appropriate on its own. If perhaps one got very very loose burlap and then wove very thin leather lace throughout it, the result might be very pleasing indeed!

Quote:
Anyone have any leads on where to find the belts/something similar? Been searching the internet with no luck...
On first glance it would appear to be leather, but the high res shot makes it a lot clearer. The pecan shapes are stamped metal, but if I were you I'd simply make them out of Apoxie Sculpt, carving into it with a dental pick or xacto blade once it's cured. Beneath those I'm willing to bet that the flat belt is more or less just a wide/thick elastic belt, one you might find at a craft store.

The belt below that, however, will be more difficult, unless you've got access to a laser cutter, which will make your life super duper simple. It reminds me though, of some of my grandma's old theatrical jewelry ... might be somewhere you may consider looking.

Also, unrelated: Why does a moderator need to approve every comment here?? Are the Spambots that virulent?? Or is it simply that I need to reach a certain number of posts?
Skxawng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
vgc

I'm also working on that exact costume! Well, I'm commissioning someone to make it for me. I suggested burlap, but she said that monk's cloth might work too. No idea what monk's cloth is, but she's the expert. Just bought my purple colored contact lenses today (thought I should stay somewhat faithful to the book).

I was surprised as well that there aren't more Game of Thrones cosplayers out there. I couldn't even find that many pictures of her in that outfit. I had to scour every episode. Best of luck on your costume! Mine should be done in time for PAX.
vgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
GlassCannon

Quote:
I've been looking around on ebay for belts and found quite a few that are close matches. I just searched for "metal belt" under Women's Accessories, and I think some styles of concho or medallion belts could work well too.
Unread 07-13-2011, 11:53 PM   #10
DaniiChan
something clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skxawng View Post
I'm doing Khal Drogo hopefully in time for Otakon, but if not, for halloween.
I was looking at your other post the other day and admire how detail-oriented you are!!! Can't wait to see the finished product it all looks so amazing!!!

Quote:
On first glance it would appear to be leather, but the high res shot makes it a lot clearer. The pecan shapes are stamped metal, but if I were you I'd simply make them out of Apoxie Sculpt, carving into it with a dental pick or xacto blade once it's cured. Beneath those I'm willing to bet that the flat belt is more or less just a wide/thick elastic belt, one you might find at a craft store.

The belt below that, however, will be more difficult, unless you've got access to a laser cutter, which will make your life super duper simple. It reminds me though, of some of my grandma's old theatrical jewelry ... might be somewhere you may consider looking.
Yea, I've been looking in a LOT of antique shops.... But I was thinking of making it from sculpting clay or something, so it's nice to get some specific suggestions, thank you!! I think I may try that if I don't find anything similar.

Are you going to Dragon*Con? Or just Otakon?
Unread 07-14-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
Skxawng

Quote:
I was looking at your other post the other day and admire how detail-oriented you are!!! Can't wait to see the finished product it all looks so amazing!!!
Thanks

Quote:
Yea, I've been looking in a LOT of antique shops.... But I was thinking of making it from sculpting clay or something, so it's nice to get some specific suggestions, thank you!! I think I may try that if I don't find anything similar.

Are you going to Dragon*Con? Or just Otakon?
My pleasure. As far as I know I'm really just looking towards Otakon because I live in Baltimore ... Atlanta is a bit far away and I've got to conserve my days off for a trip to europe later this year. I'm not even that sure that I'll have the whole thing ready by Otakon :/ or at least not to a level that I would be confident wearing. I've got a lot of stuff to do, and an annoyingly busy life :P
Unread 07-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #12
GlassCannon

Quote:
As far as I know I'm really just looking towards Otakon because I live in Baltimore ... Atlanta is a bit far away and I've got to conserve my days off for a trip to europe later this year. I'm not even that sure that I'll have the whole thing ready by Otakon :/ or at least not to a level that I would be confident wearing. I've got a lot of stuff to do, and an annoyingly busy life :P
Aww, sorry to hear that. DragonCon is a ton of fun, with some of the best costumes of any US convention, not to mention the sheer number of costumes, from every imaginable fandom, everywhere you look. I know your Drogo would go over well there. ;D But the hotel situation has gotten so crazy the last few years, it's actually best to plan a full year in advance. I booked my hotel room for this coming DragonCon (Sept 1-5) last October, and bought my con badge around the same time, when they're cheapest. So maybe look into going to DragonCon 2012? Hehe.

Btw, I think the mod approval will go away once you've racked up enough posts.
Unread 07-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #13
crazycallisto

I'll be dressed as Cersei Lannister at SDCC on Thursday ( from the books, not a replication of one of the costumes from the HBO show) message me if you'll be there too, maybe we can meet up for pix!
-----------------------
SDCC 2011:

Quorra- Tron Legacy
Cersei lannister- Game of Thrones novels
Padme Amidala- Star Wars- white battle arena outfit
Priestess- Priest movie (2011)
crazycallisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
DaniiChan
something clever.

Skxawng- I hear ya, me too. Barely enough time to work on the costume :/ But D*C is THE con I go to each year, it's soo expensive but so worth it. I travel from NY to get there. At least we'll get to see pics though!

And yea, the hotel situation is insane... I called the minute they opened up hotels for the con, and the main hotel was sold out within 10 min (and it's got like 60 floors..)

Anyone who's done with costumes, I'd LOVE to see pics!! There aren't enough cosplays on the internet, I've seen all I could find! lol. I'm sure there will be tooooooooonnsss soon though..
Unread 07-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #15
Skxawng

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCannon View Post
Aww, sorry to hear that. DragonCon is a ton of fun, with some of the best costumes of any US convention, not to mention the sheer number of costumes, from every imaginable fandom, everywhere you look. I know your Drogo would go over well there. ;D But the hotel situation has gotten so crazy the last few years, it's actually best to plan a full year in advance. I booked my hotel room for this coming DragonCon (Sept 1-5) last October, and bought my con badge around the same time, when they're cheapest. So maybe look into going to DragonCon 2012? Hehe.

Btw, I think the mod approval will go away once you've racked up enough posts.
Sounds like MAG fest, which I'll be going to ... but not in costume. The elevators there never worked because there were too many people. This year though they got a larger place to have it at, so it should be even better.

This will be my first con in costume, if I can complete it in time. I've therefore hesitated on working on the arakh, and will be focusing on finishing the belt, pants, girdle, and knives. I also gotta figure out where to buy hair extensions.

Interestingly, I got enough posts with that post