Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1069 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #2131
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #2132
Azurite
Cosplayer With No Time

Name of Commissioner: Loserific Commissions/Ashli

Website/C.com gallery:
http://www.cosplay.com/member/15147/

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.):
Super Sailor Saturn, Sailor Moon (costume including seifuku, boots, tiara, wig, earrings)

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item:
N/A, I never received the item(s) in question

Timeline (how long your order took to process):
I commissioned Ashli in March of 2011 for a costume to be delivered so I could wear it by Anime Expo 2011 (July 1-4). Ashli assured me that this was more than enough time, especially considering some pieces like the wig and boots would be acquired from elsewhere, and "redressed" to suit the costume.

Describe your Experience.

Pros:
Like others who have ordered full costumes from Ashli in the past, initially she was very communicative, and came off as professional with the detailed measurements she requested. Her own Sailor Moon costumes looked wonderful, and I hoped that mine would be made with the same love and care of not just a fellow Sailor Moon fan, but also someone with a Fashion Institute education. She allowed me to make payments for the costume in installments via Paypal, with the total coming to $390.

Cons: The closer we got to June and July, the less communicative Ashli became. She ignored repeated requests to see in-progress pictures, and sometimes didn't respond to my messages that I sent along with payment, asking for verification that she'd received the money. She provided me with her contact information so she could get the costume to me by Day 1 of the Expo, July 1, but didn't respond to any messages that day. She finally did respond toward the end of the day, claiming she didn't have her phone on her for some reason. She indicated she wasn't finished with the costume yet, but would get it to me by early ("10am-ish") on Day 3. This was disappointing, but still acceptable, because it gave me half the con to wear the costume.

Day 3 came and went with little communication from Ashli. When I heard from her again, she said that she was in poor health, and her boyfriend was concerned she wasn't getting enough sleep. She said she would finish the costume for me by the "end of the week" (Friday, July 8) and ship it to me for free with a 10% discount. Initially, I accepted this, but asked her to inform me as soon as she had acquired a tracking number for the costume and processed my 10% discount/refund.

It is now July 12, and I have not seen the costume or heard from Ashli. I have no refund or discount in any size, shape, or form, and have already filed a claim for one of the three payments with PayPal, which I plan on escalating today in hopes of getting my money back. Everyone I have spoken to agrees that it is ridiculous not to have received at least a 50% discount or a full refund at this point; Ashli's behavior is unprofessional, no matter what her excuses are.

Comments: At one point during our communications, Ashli informed me that she'd become non-communicative due to family health issues. If this is true, I am entirely understanding and I had wished Ashli and her family the best, but repeated excuses without a rescheduling or immediate refund/discount plan in place only set me up for disappointment. This was to be my first major cosplay commission, and as I only go to two cons a year, I was really hoping to have the Sailor Saturn costume completed in time for Sailor Moon's 20th anniversary. Now that is not possible at all. I'm sorely disappointed that, despite the research I did (including initial posts here on Cosplay.com), Ashli came across as "highly recommended," when she hasn't even made efforts to explain her non-communication, non-delivery, and unprofessional behavior.

I don't know if Ashli simply took on too many commissions, or if other commissions she may have had (with later deadlines) were better paying than mine, but I frankly can't think of any reason, cosplay-related or not, that could justify not hearing from her AT ALL over two weeks after the expected delivery date.

Final Grade: F
Azurite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #2133
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Name of Commissioner: Cosmonde

Website/C.com gallery: http://stores.ebay.com/Cos-Monde?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Character commissioned and series/video game (please include if this was the entire costume, just a jacket, prop, accessory, wig, etc.): Alois Trancy from Kuroshitsuji II - Full outfit

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: On my dA.

Timeline (how long your order took to process): About 2-3 weeks. Ordered June 7-9th, got a message a week later saying it had shipped, and recieved a week or two later.

Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments.
Pros: EVERYTHING IS SO PRETTY AND THE DETAILS ARE SO PERFECT AFHUAGANAKGJA.
Cons: Well, a few.
1) The shorts were too tight for me to wear, but that was my mistake in measuring.
2) The tights don't stay up very well, but that isn't their fault.
3) The boot covers don't fit. Anyone. Even my tiny, tiny friend can't fit these up to her calves. It makes me sad, because they're so pretty, but will have to go to waste. ;A;
Comments: Even through the above, those are pretty easily resolvable issues, only one of which being their fault. I've used Cosmonde once before and they really couldn't be more perfect. *hugs eBay page*

Final Grade: A- (Boot covers made me bump it down. :'()

Name of Merchant: Cosplaywig

Website: http://stores.ebay.com/COSPLAY-WIG?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Item purchased (please include quantity): Alois wig [Short one] (x1)

Links to picture(s) of your received item: Also on my dA.

Timeline (how long your order took to process): Two weeks

Describe your Experience:
Pros: Pretty much everything.

Cons: Only one: the color was pretty off. It was shown to be an almost too-dark color, but when it arrived, it was MUCH lighter than the picture. While, in retrospect, this is better, this seems to be an tendency with them; why I'm saying it here.

Final Grade: A-
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #2134
KittyKax
Little Miss Starlight

Name of Commissioner: Catzia's Collectibles
Website/C.com gallery http://www.catzia.com/tiaras.htm
Character commissioned and series/video game Crescent moon forehead charms
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2989534/
(and here's Artemis') http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2989531/
Timeline ummm, a couple of weeks I think
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments. I had discovered Catzia LONG before I ever thought I'd being doing a Sailor V cosplay, so once I started on my Sailor V cosplay I looked into her crescent moon charms cuz...well they looked better than any other commissioner's.
Pros: It arrived pretty fast, like bout 2 weeks, and the moons look very pretty and realistic. Exactly what I wanted for my costume
Cons: Took a while for her to respond to my emails, she did apologize tho. My main problem was the design of the moons, they were beautiful but when I opened them up...they had no backing. It was just hollow inside(Like a crescent moon shaped bowl) I tried using the adhesive I paid 2 dollars extra for but it wouldn't stick to my head! I ended up having to buy spirit gum to stick to my forehead, I used hot glue to stick the moons to my choker and Artemis.
At the con tho, I couldn't keep the moon on my head!!! I would try using the spirit gum but because the moon had no backing there was nothing for the glue to rest on! I tried putting it on the edges but that only worked for a min, I spent most of the morning pressing the moon to my head till it left creases and marks and I got spirit gum all over my forehead.
Later getting ready for my photoshoot I came up with an idea: I used my hot glue gun to fill in the moon a little, let it dry, then I applied my spirit gum to the hot glue and stuck it on my forehead, it didn't budge the entire shoot! So in the end it all worked out but I wish I didn't have to go through so much trouble.
Also on the website it shows the forehead charm and the choker accessory, since I was only gonna use the other 2 moons for Artemis and my choker I bought 2 charms and 1 forehead charm to save money, in the picture of the choker accessory the moon looks like its made of plastic, not metal, so it made sense why it was cheaper. I get the moons in the mail however and they're all made of metal. I was a little glad cuz it meant all the moons matched but basically I spend $2.50 more on the forehead charm for nothing, considering the adhesive didn't work.
Final Grade: B+ the moons were beautiful, but so much hassle.
Unread 07-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #2135
Kobanya

Name of Commissioner: Loserrific Commissions
Website/C.com gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/member/15147/
Character commissioned and series/video game: Fang FF13-Boots, Wig, & Stencil
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: Got a few pictures of the wig, but there's no point in showing them.
Timeline (how long your order took to process): Paid the deposit on Feb 2 '11. She missed my first deadline and my second of July 8 '11.
Describe your Experience. Pros, Cons, Comments: At first things were going well, we were communicating fine, but then everything went downhill. She claimed she had a "family emergency" in Texas, which she could have and said she would get it done before my original deadline of June 15ish. Needless to say she didn't and I didn't have a cosplay to wear to my convention.

Argued with her about that, she promised me a discount and I gave her a new deadline of July 8th. She said she would be able to make that and sent me updated pictures of the wig, but after the 7th of July she dropped off the face of the planet again. Unfortunately thanks to how long it's been, I can't even get my cash back. Ugh. So basically NEVER order from her. Plus she changed emails (my paranoia is telling me she did it to avoid people she hadn't sent their stuff to, but who knows?)
Final Grade: F (I'd give a double F minus, but that's not an option. :/)
Kobanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #2136
sakura_petals

Name of Commissioner: Lunaladyoflight

Website/C.com gallery: http://www.lunaladyoflight.net

Item commissioned: Sailor Moon Wig (Sailor Moon Musicals Marina version to be exact).

Links to picture of item: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b4...Moon/Usagi.jpg

Timeline: A year or so from first email to the time the wig arrived. This was only because I contacted her very early on and then had everything interrupted by lots of large earthquakes (a 6.3 at first then many other smaller ones over the months), the ash cloud from the volcano in Chilli and US postal service/air mail. Fun times all around.

Pros: Beautifully made and still in one piece (despite sitting in a crate in an American airport for a good number of weeks). Great communication!!! I can't stress this enough, especially when I started panicking when my wig hadn't arrived at the designated time.
Cons: Not quite like the reference pictures I gave but still wonderful. Curls in the pigtails had fallen out while it waited.

Final Grade: A
sakura_petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #2137
Sirius-chan
Sintra Lover =3

Name of Commissioner: Catz Commissions

Website/C.com gallery: http://www.cosplay.com/member/65295/

Character commissioned and series/video game: Lambda-11 shrug piece in an alternate color

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...data01_b-1.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...265630 _n.jpg

Timeline (how long your order took to process): Probably about a year since I kept pushing back the dates.

Pros: Quick responder, gives you her alternate contact information,

Cons: Can't think of any

Catz's is a stay at home mother and does commission work in order to earn money. I commissioned her last year around March or so and she decided to take on this difficult project. She kept me up to date on what was going and even provide photos as the project went. There times she fell behind because of family problem because she has a little child (and there are a lot of picture of them together on this site so she's not lying about it). Times where both her and her kid would get sick which is understandable. Eventually I kept pushing back the date because of things on my end. This allowed her more time to work on the time.

As time went it became clear that the project was a little to much for her, and I can understand that with all this detailing I couldn't even doing it. I didn't want her to continue stressing over something like a project. She offered me my refund if she didn't have it finished by a certain date and only took out the cost of the material. As did tell me that it might be a while for the refund but still came in the time line she gave me.

Even though I didn't get my item I still found her a pleasure to work with and would love to work with her again maybe next time on something a little more simpler than this. She is a contract commissioner and good at what she does from looking at her past work and seeing other pleased costumers.

Final Grade: A+

Tsubaki: Blazblue

Maya: Persona 2

Cons:

Dragon*COn
AWA
Momo
Sirius-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #2138
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

Name of Commissioner: Godsavethequeen Fashions LLC

Website/C.com gallery: http://www.gstqfashions.com

Item commissioned: Princess Serenity Cape

Links to picture of item: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2779408/ http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2779407/

Timeline: I first contacted her about commissions in the summer of 2009. At that time I was looking for another costume. I made half of a payment for that costume at that time. Of course my plans for the convention fell through, so I kept bumping back the due date. Finally I contacted her in early Fall of 2010. I asked her if it was possible to change the item I wanted. She said yes. So I found a fabric that I loved on eBay and bought the appropriate yardage and had it shipped to her. She had my cape to me within my timeline, a week before my convention. I COULD NOT be happier.

Pros: Wonderful cape with stand-up collar, flowing and definitely fit for my princess costume. She was extremely flexible and was able to bear with me when I had plans change and eventually the entire costume changed. Exactly what I wanted.

Cons: I couldn't be there in person to learn from her awesome <3

lunaladyoflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #2139
skibblesx

Name of Commissioner: Cosplay Magic

Website/C.com gallery: Ikuto Tsukiyomi - Black Lynx

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item: My Cosplay

Timeline (how long your order took to process): Took 1 day for it to process and ship, got here 2 days later!

Experience: It was pretty short and pretty freaking AMAZING too. There wasn't a lot of communication needed (if at all) and the cosplay got here in a very nicely protected package and was folded nicely~

Pros: VERY good timing, good material (Not best for this cosplay but good none the less), thick stitching

Cons: Ears are a different shade of blue, The ears are elastic, The tail is filled with fluff but some parts broke in between so the tail just has a random dent in it, the fans in the back that drop down don't stick out very far
^All these are very small and trivial so I don't care

skibblesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #2140
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Updated!
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #2141
Darkspine29
Queen of Plantains

Name of Commissioner - Loserific/Ashli
Website/C.com gallery -http://theloserific.deviantart.com/
Character commissioned - Flygon Gijinka from Pokemon
Items commissioned - Costume, boots, and wig.
Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item - Never arrived so not possible
Timeline - Contacted in January for a end of July convention. They last I have heard from her was in May.
Experience - I was very cautious about commissioning a costume after I had nearly been scammed. I chose Ashli because she had multiple good reviews about her and I felt I could trust her. After first emailing hr she responded quickly and we worked out a payment. For the first two months when I emailed her she would respond fairly quickly but over time communication became less and less. Eventually she stopped responding all together.
Pros - Was very professional and responded quickly after she was first contacted.
Cons - She has dropped off the face of the earth. I was supposed to receive my costume today but surprise, surprise, nothing. She will not respond to emails or PMs. I have tried multiple times but with no results.
Final Grade: F- (I will change it if I ever receive my costume but I doubt I will)

Last edited by Darkspine29 : 07-18-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Darkspine29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 12:04 PM   #2142
Cosplay4me

Name of Commissioner - Cosplayhouse

Website/C.com galler - http://www.cosplayhouse.com/Mortal-K...ersion-01.html

Character Commissioned - Scorpion from Mortal Combat

Links to picture(s) of your commissioned item - same as website

Timeline - Ordered my Costume on June 15 and my costume came july 19 they said it would come in around 4-6 weeks so shipping time was accurate. I am an impatient person so i kept emailing them about my costume and how much longer it would take sometimes they emailed me quick and sometimes slow so i was kinda annoyed by the iinconsistency. but overall it was ok communication.

Experience - I saw a lot of good and bad reviews about cosplayhouse but i live in california so why not so i purchased my costume from them. When i got my costume it came in a nice secured box and i was very impressed on how nice the quality was!

Pros - Pretty much everything except the inconsistent communication.

Cons - Also tried calling them the person on the phone had a funny asian accent lol

Final Grade: A+ Will buy from again!

Last edited by Cosplay4me : 07-20-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Cosplay4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #2143
herartsyness

Name of Commissioner: JDscosplay
Website/C.com gallery:http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/JDscosplay/
Character commissioned and series/video game:Final fantasy 7 DOC Lucrecia shirt,skirt
reference pic: http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy.../Lucrecia1.jpg
Timeline:can't really judge on this seeming as i wasn't in a rush.
Pros:when i pointed out that the length of the skirt is wrong he fixed it.
when i also pointed out that the ruffles on the shirt was to small he also fixed it.
Cons:i hate the cosplay the material sucks and sadly the fixing he did could not redeem the cosplay.doesn't respond as quick as i would like.
Comments:in the end it wasn't worth the amount i had payed.i'm going to have this commissioned again .
Final Grade:C-
herartsyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #2144
herartsyness

Name of Commissioner:rose brittf/Cloudsofsand
Website/C.com gallery:http://dreamcosplay.webs.com/apps/photos/
Character commissioned and series/video game:Tsubaki from blazblue school uniform wig,headband,shirt,skirt,spools
reference pic:http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/407272-O%..._tsubaki01.jpg
Timeline:none
Pros:She responds quick,works quick.
Cons:wig was abit off in color seemed darker.
Comments:i felt like the cosplay could have been made better but she worked quick an did all they could do.
Final Grade:B-

Name of Commissioner:Zardory
Website/C.com gallery:http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/s.../product/24695
Character commissioned and series/video game:Final fantasy 7 aerith fan made version (dress,leg straps.belt)
reference pic:http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=aeri...et=24#/d11ikoq
Timeline:none
Pros:they made the leg straps and belt without me really asking
Cons:they made the bottom white part lace when it's really just a white underskirt.oh and they made it shiny >_<
Comments:i like how it looks and all but i would have loved it if wasn't really shiny
Final Grade:B-

Last edited by herartsyness : 07-21-2011 at 03:29 PM.
herartsyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #2145
Balmaudaj

majesticlunacy
http://majesticlunacy.deviantart.com/
Jill Valentine Resident Evil 5 - Battlesuit
Links to picture: I don't have one quite yet.
Timeline: We started talking in April, I sent the first half of the payment in May and I received my outfit in July
Pros, It is deadly accurate how much the costume looks like the reference. I got replies back very quickly when I asked for updates or had questions. Was willing to add extra details, but made sure I was well aware of the cost change. It fits me very well.
Cons, the updates were a little slow at times, but she got back to me very quickly and I had just stepped into a slot that was previously filled.
Comments: I am actually planning on getting another costume done by her next summer. The quality of her work is astounding.
Final Grade: A
Balmaudaj is offline   Reply With Quote