Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.
Unread 01-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
skyechan

Unhappy Worried - thedollyeye.com safe???

Hi all, purchasing colour contact lenses for the first time.

I have a current prescription for contact lenses from my eye doctor for daily contact lenses
so I thought I'd try purchasing a set of blue contacts. After looking around I decided that the Dolly Eye Blue was the shade I was going for, relatively cheap, and I didn't have to jump through hoops to get them (i.e. Go back to the eye doctor for a prescription that says I can buy say, Acuvue 2 Colors lenses, instead of my current ClearSight 1 Day lenses).

Now, I have purchased a prescription pair from thedollyeye.com. Upon doing so, I noticed I didn't have to actually show them a scan of my prescription and then I found this site thanks to the contact lens FAQ: http://www.dangerous-contact-lenses.com/

I noticed that one of the links listed has a name very similar to thedollyeye.com site I purchased my lenses from.

Now I'm kinda worried. Have any of you who have purchased from thedollyeye.com had any sort of health troubles after wearing your lenses from them? Should I try to cancel my order with them?
skyechan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
fin fish
charleston dandy

They're fine, that site is just listing contact lens sellers that aren't approved by the US FDA -- they're approved by the Korean FDA, I've bought from them (the Dolly Eye violets, excuse the bad picture), and they were perfectly fine to wear.
Unread 01-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Kilo

If you want to talk about jumping through hoops, the FDA makes companies go through several very large and very violently flaming ones. I think if the contacts did any sort of damage you'd have heard about it by now. A LOT of people here seem to use them (I found this site specifically based on coloured contact searches online, heh) and I bet money that if there was a rather big issue there'd be a thread about DO NOT USE THESE NASTY THINGS.

Speaking of hoops, I got a call from my doctor today demanding that I bring the ColourMax in so he can check them out. He literally held my order up for ransom. I asked him if he was going to charge me for the exam and after a long pause of consideration he said "....no, I just want to make sure you're going to be okay." Yeah, 'cuz otherwise you'd be refunding my overnight shipping, broski.
Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

TheDollyEye.com is fine, and users are generally pleased with their purchases. Check the huge contact lens sticky Ion made.

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 02:08 AM   #5
Crystalike
:3

I bought Dolly eye lenses from them. They're fine. They're authentic and they don't ask for a prescription since they're not based in the US. :P
Crystalike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
liivingdeadgirl
Chicken Rice!

I have been buying from them for years. The only reason they aren't FDA approved is because they're trying to keep circle lens sales within the us. if you read all the information about how 'unsafe' circle lenses are, the only thing they list as being unsafe is basically improper use. Which is unsafe no matter what kind of contacts you have even if you get them from your eye doctor. If you wear them ocassionally and never sleep in them, as is how they were intended (remember these are not for daily wear like your normal lenses), then you will be fine. Just be prepared for your packaging to say 'necklaces' on them when you get them. They use a very secure shipping method so you should have no problem getting them. I have five pairs of Dollyeyes and have ordered from them for other people and we all love our contacts. ^_^

Alice (Original) - Alice in Wonderland
Miku (Cendrillon) - Vocaloid
Fuu (Artbook) - Magic Knight Rayearth
Fem!Cas - Supernatural

~*~
https://www.facebook.com/#!/LDGCosplay
liivingdeadgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #7
Kilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalike View Post
I bought Dolly eye lenses from them. They're fine. They're authentic and they don't ask for a prescription since they're not based in the US. :P
Yeah, but they still have a slot for it so you can put your RX in if you have one, which is so nice. Some companies JUST do costume lenses and you can't GET them scripted, so it kind of sucks - wear glasses, or walk around blind.
Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #8
Puttay

TheDollyEye NOT SAFE

I bought two pairs from them, and I did not realize before it was too late that they were WAYY to old.. Then I wrote them a letter demanding to know what the hell was going on.

I was told it was just a wrong sticker on the bottles and I shouldn't worry. I told them to verify their claim, but I was told I should send them back and get a refund..

HELL I should, my uncle is an Optometrist and I gave them to him to test them, and they WERE WAAY to old.. unsafe to put in the eye.. The bottle also contained to little liquid on arrival. (don't know whats the cause of that though)

I was recommended to their site from a friend, and after we examined her lenses as well it turned out they were to old too.

I Would NOT recommend Anyone use someone who claim they stick their own expire dates on and lie about the condition of the lenses.
Unread 07-19-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
Kama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttay View Post
I bought two pairs from them, and I did not realize before it was too late that they were WAYY to old.. Then I wrote them a letter demanding to know what the hell was going on.

I was told it was just a wrong sticker on the bottles and I shouldn't worry. I told them to verify their claim, but I was told I should send them back and get a refund..

HELL I should, my uncle is an Optometrist and I gave them to him to test them, and they WERE WAAY to old.. unsafe to put in the eye.. The bottle also contained to little liquid on arrival. (don't know whats the cause of that though)

I was recommended to their site from a friend, and after we examined her lenses as well it turned out they were to old too.

I Would NOT recommend Anyone use someone who claim they stick their own expire dates on and lie about the condition of the lenses.
...details or get out. Seriously. You have one post and you joined today, you resurrected a thread that is months old, and you are spouting bullshit. I'm not sure how your uncle optometrist even tested them, but contacts being "old" is rarely, if ever, a problem. Soft lenses can warp out of shape over time (not dangerous), become unsanitary (only if the lenses are open), or degrade (takes a really, really long time and is very noticeable)...so take that as you will.

My prescription, American lenses were purchased in 2006. Their expiration date is 2015 and is on the side of the box that the company (Acuvue) provided. You are welcome to your opinion and welcome to feel that they are unethical, but I'd like to see a little more information backing your claims than "THEY WERE TOO OLD". Like, you know, actual dates?
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
Puttay

WTF is your problem??

YES I joined to answer THIS thread, because the way Thedollyeye have treated me made me very mad.. I joined to answer because this thread is the first that comes up when you google if the thedollyeye is safe... My god, why would I post something like this if it was not true???? What would I possible gain from that??

I have Details, the emails the bottle etc etc etc etc.. So I HAVE proof..

The expiration date is 31.05.2010 on kirakira lenses, and as I said before I have all the mails etc from my correspondence with them..

Why do you get so upset I am trying to help out others not make my mistake, you are the one that is suspicious to me - why would you defend some random company ??

Just to vertify myself, my real name is Puk Dam, I have a facebook AND a webblog.. and I would gain NOTHING from lying..
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #11
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Just cool your jets for a sec. We sometimes doubt people who turn up in threads with one post who either whiteknight or scorn a company. We get spambots and things like that sometimes so we need to verify things like that.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
Puttay

Doubt is one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySiren View Post
Just cool your jets for a sec. We sometimes doubt people who turn up in threads with one post who either whiteknight or scorn a company. We get spambots and things like that sometimes so we need to verify things like that.
telling me .."details or get out" and "you are spouting bullshit" is not just doubt - that is downright rude..

I am trying to do the right thing.

..trying to help others avoid my mistake.. I am not saying they only sell expired lenses - I am just charing my experience with them.. Calling me a liar, and I am the one who should cool my jets??
Unread 07-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #13
Tainted23

The last pair I ordered was fine (and this was less than a month ago). They irritate my eyes a little but that's nothing new, I can never find my BC and always end up with atleast one eye being irritated a little. They are comfortable though after they finally settle AND they come in higher scripts which is nice. The only thing I would ask for them to do is add in a tracking number or something, I gave myself a good about of time before I needed the lens but it was a bit odd that while waiting on recieving the tracking that they came to my door.
Tainted23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #14
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Quote:
telling me .."details or get out" and "you are spouting bullshit" is not just doubt - that is downright rude..

..trying to help others avoid my mistake.. I am not saying they only sell expired lenses - I am just charing my experience with them.. Calling me a liar, and I am the one who should cool my jets??
I'm not saying that person was right in calling outright bullshit. But that doesn't give you a free pass to flip out. Like I said, we get spambots on this site and we usually get cross with them. Though it is appreciated that you gave your input, getting so heated isn't really helping your case.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #15
Sushi_ushi

Quote:

On a lighter note! Thank you for giving your 2 cents about the company n.n. It goes to show that out of a lot of costumers a few have problems. Even if their screw ups are small =D. It still happens. thanks again for your review.

Last edited by Sushi_ushi : 07-20-2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: problem was already addressed before I had the chance to explain xD.