Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 313 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #61
clockwalk
Time won't wait for you.
 
clockwalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi_Lolita View Post


This outfit has a lot of parts and it's my first costume so I have no idea what to make any of it out of.
A lot of Vocaloid cosplayers tend to lean towards the shiny fabrics. Here's a really good demon wing tutorial: CLICK. For the shoes, it'd be best to make boot covers. Another tutorial on that: CLICK. Alternatively, you can just buy red shoes and make black spats over those. Tutorial on spats: CLICK. I figure you can buy those headphones somewhere at a local store, but if you want to make it super-duper accurate, or for some other reason, here's yet another tutorial on making Vocaloid headphones: CLICK. You can alter the tutorial here and there to suit your specific cosplay. If you haven't gotten a wig yet, you might want to visit this thread to check out wig sellars: CLICK. As an afterthought, I haven't dropped a tutorial on her tail, either: CLICK.

Haa... hope I helped a little @________@
clockwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 07-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #62
Rumor
Newbie cosplayer
 
Rumor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1
Hi everyone

I'm trying to make a sailor Saturn cosplay, but I can't decide what fabric to use for the skirt and bow. I have an aversion to costume satin and other shiny fabrics because they're (in my opinion) really over done and tend to look cheap if not done perfectly. I thought about a knit but knits don't hold pleats, and I considered broadcloth, but its too thin. Any suggestions?

EDIT: forgot to Include reference pictures

http://www.japaneseanimeuk.com/Sailo...orSaturn01.jpg

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/s/sailsat.jpg

Last edited by Rumor : 07-22-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #63
uniquecreator
Costume Designer
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 108
There is another fabric found close by to the satins, I believe it is called Sateen. It is a medium weight fabric without too much shine and it works as beautiful as a good quality Satin. I hope that you can find this fabric it will help you.
uniquecreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 01:43 AM   #64
clockwalk
Time won't wait for you.
 
clockwalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Hi everyone

I'm trying to make a sailor Saturn cosplay, but I can't decide what fabric to use for the skirt and bow. I have an aversion to costume satin and other shiny fabrics because they're (in my opinion) really over done and tend to look cheap if not done perfectly. I thought about a knit but knits don't hold pleats, and I considered broadcloth, but its too thin. Any suggestions?

EDIT: forgot to Include reference pictures

http://www.japaneseanimeuk.com/Sailo...orSaturn01.jpg

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/s/sailsat.jpg
You could always sew tiny, tiny little stitches into the pleats so they hold. /troll
No, actually, that's probably a bad idea @__@
Anyways, this is a useful link for you: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=19789
clockwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #65
SpiffyPoptarts
needs to upload pictures
 
SpiffyPoptarts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 331
Hey :] I'm going to be making a Rin Meltdown Hard rk. dress (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2589/...9e01bd49_o.jpg).

I was thinking satin, but I feel like it could come out looking cheap and halloween-ish. But what do you think?
__________________

Last edited by SpiffyPoptarts : 07-30-2011 at 12:15 PM.
SpiffyPoptarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 11:20 PM   #66
oathtoorder
sheik ftw
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 109
Hi people, I'm trying to cosplay as Glover from the Nintendo 64 game, Glover, but I have no clue at all what fabric to use :'(

Here's a pic of him- http://www.videogamecentral.com/prod...92861_zoom.jpg
__________________
~Majora's mask...3 more days...play the song..save the world~
oathtoorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 03:10 AM   #67
clockwalk
Time won't wait for you.
 
clockwalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyPoptarts View Post
Hey :] I'm going to me making a Rin Meltdown Hard rk. dress (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2589/...9e01bd49_o.jpg).

I was thinking satin, but I feel like it could come out looking cheap and halloween-ish. But what do you think?
Another cosplay used PVC fabric for their Rin Meltdown RK-mix. It looked absolutely stunning. Here's a picture: http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...b3-d33asy6.jpg Several other cosplayers have also used PVC. Try googling some images to see what they've used and you can use that to compare between satin, PVC, and matte fabrics.
clockwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 12:15 PM   #68
SpiffyPoptarts
needs to upload pictures
 
SpiffyPoptarts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwalk View Post
Another cosplay used PVC fabric for their Rin Meltdown RK-mix. It looked absolutely stunning. Here's a picture: http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...b3-d33asy6.jpg Several other cosplayers have also used PVC. Try googling some images to see what they've used and you can use that to compare between satin, PVC, and matte fabrics.
Yeah, I think I've seen this one... I totally didn't even think about it. Thanks so much!
__________________
SpiffyPoptarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 03:29 AM   #69
Kakashi's Washu
Registered User
 
Kakashi's Washu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12
So I'm going to be making Rena Ryuugu's white dress seen in most of Higurashi
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/z...d_x/3i6s-1.jpg

I've no idea the material I should use. I don't want it to be stretchy (PLEASE NO COTTON. I don't wanna look like I modded a tshirt.), but not too stiff (so gabardine is out of the question)... what should I use.
I have a cosplay (Lucky Star) that I bought years ago that I like the material used on... but I've no idea what it is. I wanna use it so bad... but I honestly have no idea.
So, from looking at this, avoiding cotton, anything stretchy and 'normal clothes wear', what should I use...?
(I hope muslin is out of the question as well)

(This cosplayed used something similar to what the uniform I have is made out of, it looks like: http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/t...play/rena1.jpg
__________________
http://kakashiswashu.deviantart.com/
Cons for 2011
UBcon, Toracon, Anime North, Anime Boston (hopefully), Anibash (if you consider that a con)

Cosplays for 2011
Komachi Onozuka, Ran Yakumo, Yuuka Kazami, Flandre Scarlet (Touhou Project)
Roark, Elesa/Kamitsure, Kris (Pokemon)
Kakashi's Washu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 04:11 AM   #70
clockwalk
Time won't wait for you.
 
clockwalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyPoptarts View Post
Yeah, I think I've seen this one... I totally didn't even think about it. Thanks so much!
No problem! ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi's Washu View Post
So I'm going to be making Rena Ryuugu's white dress seen in most of Higurashi
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/z...d_x/3i6s-1.jpg

I've no idea the material I should use. I don't want it to be stretchy (PLEASE NO COTTON. I don't wanna look like I modded a tshirt.), but not too stiff (so gabardine is out of the question)... what should I use.
I have a cosplay (Lucky Star) that I bought years ago that I like the material used on... but I've no idea what it is. I wanna use it so bad... but I honestly have no idea.
So, from looking at this, avoiding cotton, anything stretchy and 'normal clothes wear', what should I use...?
(I hope muslin is out of the question as well)

(This cosplayed used something similar to what the uniform I have is made out of, it looks like: http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/t...play/rena1.jpg
Unfortunately, that cosplay looks like she used cotton. And I was about to recommend cotton from the reference too.
You can try bringing a part of your Lucky Star cosplay to a fabric store and ask them what type of fabric they think was used. I did this once when I was trying to get fabric for my Miku cosplay and they gave me about two-three different fabrics.

Still, I think you should use cotton. It won't look as cheap as it sounds, trust me. (My CamelliaMiku cosplay was made out of BEDSHEETS, and no one noticed. And it looks brilliant)
clockwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 05:54 PM   #71
Ehekatl
Registered User
 
Ehekatl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 18
What fabric would you use for doctor Doom's cloak? I'm making something that's exactly like his cloak/tunic/cape/whatisthis

Ehekatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #72
SpiffyPoptarts
needs to upload pictures
 
SpiffyPoptarts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehekatl View Post
What fabric would you use for doctor Doom's cloak? I'm making something that's exactly like his cloak/tunic/cape/whatisthis

I meet this Doctor Doom cosplayer with an amazing costume and I think his was made out of broadcloth.
__________________
SpiffyPoptarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #73
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13,409
I need to make a winter-style serafuku, BUT I want it somewhat lighter than would be accurate so I can wear it in warmer weather... but, I both need the skirt pleated, and want the shirt to have a little stretch so it's a bit more form-hugging than standard. I am SO lost on what fabric(s) I should use. Or at least which one for the top and which one forthe skirt that would match up well. My thought for the top is that stretchy cotton they use on turtleneck shirts, but I dunno if that would match with a heavy cotton/acrylic for the skirt.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 02:17 AM   #74
clockwalk
Time won't wait for you.
 
clockwalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 65
@ Ehekatl; I second what SpiffyPoptarts said. Broadcloth would be a good choice.

@ ShinobiXikyu ; reference pictures please?
clockwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #75
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad
 
The Hag's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi's Washu View Post
(PLEASE NO COTTON. I don't wanna look like I modded a tshirt.)
It will only look like a t-shirt you use a cotton knit. I agree with Clockwalk that a woven cotton or cotton/poly blend would be fine. Although you did say that you don't want anything stretchy, given how fitted the bodice is, you might consider a cotton/lycra blend. It is woven but the lycra gives it a little stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehekatl View Post
What fabric would you use for doctor Doom's cloak? I'm making something that's exactly like his cloak/tunic/cape/whatisthis
I think that most broadcloth would be too thin to make a nice cape. What I'd use would depend a lot on the character and it sounds like you're not actually making a Dr. Doom costume? In any event - for the image that you posted, I'd use a wool or a wool/blend. Or maybe moleskin.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybren117 View Post
So I blame you Hag. Stop being such a bitch. With... With your brain, n' shit.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.