Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Devil May Cry

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 105 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 08-21-2011, 05:01 PM   #1411
LoveofCountry
Guts & Honor, I like that

Can't even add anything, in total agreement Kawaii. And in this guy's opinion it does seem liek WAY more creativity went into Dante's Diesel alternate costume in DMC2 than this new Dick altogether.

Katsucon '14
PAX East '14 !!
LoveofCountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #1412
Deuce_VII
Devil Trigger Dante

I have mixed feelings on the new DmC..game wise, it has promise..but the hardcore fan in me still doesn't accept it as part of the DMC franchise. It's encouraging there is an element of classic dante in there (the "devil trigger"), but yeah, I honestly stand right in the middle on it right now..I'm waiting to pass judgement until I see the final product

In other news, I am pretty sure I've decided on my next prop: Nevan from DMC3. I wanna rig it to light up and have a dock for an mp3 player. Still kicking ideas around in my head..but am pretty much decided this will be my next major project
In a time, long since past in an age of darkness, when the Earth was overrun with demons and humans were powerless under their rule humanity's hope lived in a demon, named Sparda. With a spirit unlike any other, and wielding the sword that bore his own name, Sparda eradicated the demons. And now the Legend of Sparda, has been inherited, by his son the demon slayer...Dante
Deuce_VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #1413
LoveofCountry

Hell yes! I'm on the fence between Nevan and Cerberus. Definitely incorporating lights no matter which one I go with. Anybody know anything about adding soundboards to electronics? A nevan that actually played one of the Riffs from the game would be SO BEAST.

Katsucon '14
PAX East '14 !!
Unread 08-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #1414
Technowraith
Stealing Dante's Pizza...

Seeing Nevan would be awesome. I don't see Nevan around as much. Ok, correction. I do see Nevan. In horridly disastrous forms. One of my friends made Nevan by painting an old electric guitar dark blue. I was like "WTF? Really? As a responsible DMC Fan, I can't allow you to take that to a convention." He was like "Why?" I replied, "Because every other Dante will probably bash you over the head with it for being such a lazy ass. If you're gonna make Nevan, you're sure as hell not gonna earn any points making it that way." So I managed to talk him out of making a complete fool of himself at Megacon this year. But I also offered him a few suggestions on design and wow factor ideas to make a kick ass Nevan.

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Costume status: Wig ordered.
Current Prop status:
Deathbringer: Full scale mock-up 85% complete. Design adjustments in progress.
Red Queen: Design in progress
Blue Rose: Not started yet.
Technowraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #1415
LordDraco3
On a mission

I guess I need some better pics of my Nevan, don't really have any super-awesome ones to show it off...
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2057905/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2263044/

But it's REALLY hard to get the whole thing in photos with it being taller than I am. And a BITCH to transport.
LordDraco3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 12:47 AM   #1416
Technowraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDraco3 View Post
I guess I need some better pics of my Nevan, don't really have any super-awesome ones to show it off...
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2057905/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2263044/

But it's REALLY hard to get the whole thing in photos with it being taller than I am. And a BITCH to transport.
Pretty kick ass Nevan there Lord Draco. One of the suggestions I'm making for my friend making Nevan is to make the neck detachable. Some creativoty could hide the nuts, or you even embed the nuts in the body of the guitar, and have the bolts come in from the back side. Undo the bolts and you can take the neck off for easy transport. On the off chance you actually make a real guitar out of Nevan, this option becomes unavailable for obvious reasons. But a real working Nevan is where you could seriously rock out.

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Prop status:
Unread 08-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #1417
AVAAntares
Sewing = 1/2 (Battle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveofCountry View Post
And from what I've seen in the clips and gameplay videos I'd almost prefer to have Edward the sparkly Vampire being the main protagonist in the DMC reboot than this new cracked out emo Dante they've created.
Since the official title of the new game is "dmc: Devil May Cry," one of the best threads I've seen on the topic began theorizing what the redundant letters stood for. My favorite was "Dante Meets Cullen: Devil May Cry."

Admittedly, I'm an "original" fan (I played the first game right when it came out, and I own every game in the series -- even the travesty that is 2 -- including special editions). I won't pretend that the classic series is flawless: Going back and trying to play DMC1 again is almost impossible for me, since it's so muddy and badly constructed by comparison to DMC3-4, and we all know what happened (or didn't) with DMC2. Even so, I'm pretty attached to classic Dante; he's the character whose personality, backstory and attitude we have met and bonded with through all four games.

I do understand the rationale for rebooting the series at this point (it's five games in, which makes it unlikely to pull in many new off-the-shelf players, and there's only so much you can do without devolving into "the continuing adventures of Dante and/or Nero"). Even so, it feels like Capcom slapped the fandom in the face with this one; it's so completely disconnected from the rest of the series that it might as well be a different franchise entirely, and on top of that they farm it out to a company not exactly known for their blazing action titles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii Pocky View Post
And my bf had a theory that they were making a "new Dante", make people hate and resent him because he's not our Dante. And then that they were going to release a game with classic Dante. He basically described it with Coke have new Coke and then releasing classic Coke which people ended up buying the crap out of.
Not a bad theory (New Coke was nasty, too) -- but it's a really expensive one if it doesn't work, considering how much money and advertising they're throwing into it, and the fact that they're risking icing the franchise if it tanks.

I've actually been following the game development articles and videos moderately closely, maybe because I'm a masochist, or maybe because I keep hoping things will get better. The latest gameplay clips are... okay (I mean, it looks better than most of Ninja Theory's other "action" games as far as I can tell), with lots of DMC-style melee fighting, but it looks like they've gone back to DMC2 or DMC3-level graphics. Definitely not an upgrade from DMC4 visuals.

They've also released some plot snippets -- like the fact that the new Dante-Cullen is a half-angel, half-demon. (Like THAT'S never been done before... Ah! My Goddess pulled it off more convincingly and with less emo.) The company claims classic DMC fans will love this because Dante can transform his elasto-sword into a "holy scythe" and whack things. I'm not sure why scythes are considered holy -- aren't they usually carried by things like Death and Sin Scythes? -- but so far that's the only tidbit of combat detail I've heard. Except that apparently the white hair comes out in his Devil Trigger form. O_o (We're not going to attempt to explain DT continuity here, since, well, DMC3 never happened in dmc: DMC's universe.)

But look at it this way -- at least the new game gives us a common enemy, and an outlet to scream and rant. CosplayerGabi and I were both staffing at AnimeWorld Chicago over the weekend, along with another friend who cosplays Dante, and there was MUCH bashing of dmc: DMC. It's actually very therapeutic. ^_^

www.AndSewingIsHalfTheBattle.com
いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい
"Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it." Maimonides

Last edited by AVAAntares : 08-23-2011 at 09:01 AM.
AVAAntares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #1418
LoveofCountry

That's definite legitimacy right there Draco. Some of the Nevans I've seen this summer...oh god, makes me want to cry bloody tears. Good jobby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technowraith View Post
I was like "WTF? Really? As a responsible DMC Fan, I can't allow you to take that to a convention." He was like "Why?" I replied, "Because every other Dante will probably bash you over the head with it for being such a lazy ass.
HAHAHA, lolz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVAAntares View Post
Since the official title of the new game is "dmc: Devil May Cry," one of the best threads I've seen on the topic began theorizing what the redundant letters stood for. My favorite was "Dante Meets Cullen: Devil May Cry." .....

But look at it this way -- at least the new game gives us a common enemy, and an outlet to scream and rant. CosplayerGabi and I were both staffing at AnimeWorld Chicago over the weekend, along with another friend who cosplays Dante, and there was MUCH bashing of dmc: DMC. It's actually very therapeutic. ^_^
Haha!! Awww it's hilarious and disheartening all at the same time......tragic. And I never looked at it that way, I do get a pretty good feeling when a stranger walks up to me and 8 seconds into it we're both fired up and getting our bash on like old timers at the VFW during happy hour. "What do you think of the new game?" and "Who'd win in a fight, you or deadpool?" are by far the 2 most common things I've been asked at cons.

Katsucon '14
PAX East '14 !!
Unread 08-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #1419
LordDraco3
On a mission

Half ange--COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT?

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

The MORE I hear the more I hate it
Even the recent gameplay video. The Devil Trigger white hair red coat is a huge cop-out trying to please the fans, but not really (1, it doesn't look very "Devilish" to me like all of his other DTs, and 2, he shouldn't have it yet). Some of his movements looked like Dante, but a lot of them looked like NERO (I saw a lot of one-handed sword swings, one looked like a movement copied exactly from Nero, even used his left hand. When you combine that with his hooded jacket...), and of course as Techno already pointed out, the engine difference is hugely noticeable and already tells us that the game will suck based on the fact that it CANNOT perform up to standards.
LordDraco3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #1420
Technowraith

Quote:
Half ange--COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT?

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

The MORE I hear the more I hate it
Even the recent gameplay video. The Devil Trigger white hair red coat is a huge cop-out trying to please the fans, but not really (1, it doesn't look very "Devilish" to me like all of his other DTs, and 2, he shouldn't have it yet). Some of his movements looked like Dante, but a lot of them looked like NERO (I saw a lot of one-handed sword swings, one looked like a movement copied exactly from Nero, even used his left hand. When you combine that with his hooded jacket...), and of course as Techno already pointed out, the engine difference is hugely noticeable and already tells us that the game will suck based on the fact that it CANNOT perform up to standards.
The half angel bit has me a bit mystified. And yeah, some of the current movesets look oddly Nero-ish. Wouldn't be in the least surprised if they reversed engineered half of DMC 4 to make this one. Hell, at the rate they're going, I'd mod the new Dante out and put Nero or traditional Dante in his place. LoL. Storyline might make more sense (lol), we fix the "new dante sucks" problem and we have characters that we already like.

Still gonna wait and look at things as further development announcements are made. Still wondering what the hell dmc would be like without Devil Trigger if they had originally planned not to include it. O_o

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Prop status:
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:10 PM   #1421
Deuce_VII
Devil Trigger Dante

Quote:
The Devil Trigger white hair red coat is a huge cop-out trying to please the fans, but not really (1, it doesn't look very "Devilish" to me like all of his other DTs, and 2, he shouldn't have it yet).
That is actually the ONLY part of the new DmC that actually makes sense to me. My reasoning: because Dante didn't ever devil trigger til Devil May Cry 3 (or earliest, in the first volume of the manga). Soo, in the evolution of becoming a demon, this would make sense, since the white hair is clearly from His demonic side. Just a theory though..

I totally had the same reaction as draco when i heard the half angel part. That is totally ripped off of the little known game Painkiller:Overdose, where the main character (Belial) was a pissed off half angel, half demon hybrid. While the premise is kinda cool..it is NOT Devil May Cry...unless they are trying to connect it to Bayonetta? Just too much of a change

But enough ranting..I was out today and found the perfect speaker system for Nevan at RadioShack. A nifty little folding speaker system that is battery operated (AAA's, but I can deal with that) with volume control and a plug for an mp3 player. That paired with all the stock piled materials I have (LEDs included, which I have a very good idea to make the lightning "strings") means that it seems this project is off to a good start
In a time, long since past in an age of darkness, when the Earth was overrun with demons and humans were powerless under their rule humanity's hope lived in a demon, named Sparda. With a spirit unlike any other, and wielding the sword that bore his own name, Sparda eradicated the demons. And now the Legend of Sparda, has been inherited, by his son the demon slayer...Dante
Deuce_VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #1422
Technowraith

Sounds like a great start, Lord Draco. Playing DMC 3 at a friends the other day, I actually just realized that Nevan turns into a scythe. I actually don't use Nevan because for some reason I suck at using it. LoL

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Prop status:
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #1423
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technowraith View Post
Seeing Nevan would be awesome. I don't see Nevan around as much. Ok, correction. I do see Nevan. In horridly disastrous forms. One of my friends made Nevan by painting an old electric guitar dark blue. I was like "WTF? Really? As a responsible DMC Fan, I can't allow you to take that to a convention." He was like "Why?" I replied, "Because every other Dante will probably bash you over the head with it for being such a lazy ass. If you're gonna make Nevan, you're sure as hell not gonna earn any points making it that way." So I managed to talk him out of making a complete fool of himself at Megacon this year. But I also offered him a few suggestions on design and wow factor ideas to make a kick ass Nevan.
My bf made Neven and he even built it to play music. If you want to see it I think it's on his coscom (which I don't remember what it is, I'd have to look it up). He makes props really well, he also built rebellion and ebony and ivory. If you wanted any tips or how he made Neven I can ask him. I know for the most part he usually uses foam and wood, for the base any way.
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #1424
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

And I want to mention seperately about the new DMC/Dante that I'm not saying any one is right or wrong or that your not allowed to have an opinion. I just wanted to know what other people thought about the up and coming DMC and if any one else hated this new "not Dante" as much as I do. lol Not really sure what Ninja Theory is thinking, but if the game comes out good I may buy it. I think my bf already refuses to buy it because he's a hardcore DMC/Dante fan. He even told me he hated Nero. lol Which I like/would rather play as Nero then this new "thing" they're trying to pass off.

I started playing DMC 4 again because I never beat it on a different note. And I realize I kinda hate Nero just a bit because no devil trigger. WTF. lol
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 05:35 PM   #1425
Technowraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii Pocky View Post
I started playing DMC 4 again because I never beat it on a different note. And I realize I kinda hate Nero just a bit because no devil trigger. WTF. lol
Nero has Devil Trigger. Same combo also activates Dante's Devil Trigger. When you first start out DMC4, you don't have access to Devil Trigger right away. You gotta play the first couple missions to learn about your basic skills and stuff.

Current Cosplay Project:

Nero- Devil May Cry 4.
Current Prop status: