Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 357 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 08-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #466
Siyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat-Chans View Post
A) Is there a Tandy Leather near you? They carry a leather paint. It's not as good as Angelus but it works. If not the only other option would be to find an online store with express shipping

B) I've seen floral paint work for shoes but anything else will crack because the shoes will bend.

C) Fabric covers are fairly easy, but I wouldn't use a felt. A stretch fabric will be much easier to work with, a matte spandex or a knit is probably your best bet for an easy time. You can construct them out of a non stretch but it gets much trickier.
I used vinyl paint for my Madoka shoes and they held up fairly well with a few minor scuffs. Most people couldn't tell I painted them unless I told them I did. They need a new coat, but they've held up for 5-6 wears and they took quite a beating.
~ Presea - Tales of Symphonia
~ Mia - Fire Emblem

Next convention: NorCal summer gathering
Deviant Art
Siyana is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-30-2011, 02:03 AM   #467
Cat-Chans
Glaceon, I choose you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiseiseki0284 View Post
:/ I do have a Tandy's in my city, but it's a good 8 miles/21 minutes which is... well far too far for me to comfortably ask for a ride. That and looking at their website, they sell leather STAIN, not paint.. so I'm not even sure if it would show up on black leather boots..

Mn.. could you explain how felt would be hard to work with.. :/ I don't think there are any fabric stores near me..
It's not the stain, it's the Cova Color. Here is a link from their online store:
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/e.../2602-132.aspx

It won't cover as well as Angelus but it does work if you don't have access to Angelus. It took me about 4 coats of the gold to cover my boots.

Felt just won't have any give and it also pills fairly badly over time. You might be able to try a thrift store or even a cheap department store and try to find some t-shirts in the right color. A large size should give you enough fabric to cover two shoes.
Unread 08-30-2011, 02:06 AM   #468
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siyana View Post
I used vinyl paint for my Madoka shoes and they held up fairly well with a few minor scuffs. Most people couldn't tell I painted them unless I told them I did. They need a new coat, but they've held up for 5-6 wears and they took quite a beating.
o.o Can you recommend a brand?
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #469
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

COLORTOOL Sprays is sold at Micheal's
http://www.dmcolor.com/products/

I used it on the PVC fabric bot to turn it from pale purple to brown.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2891531/

Angelus Leather Paint is recommend to turn dark colours lighter.
http://www.turtlefeathers.net/text/angelus/paint.html

FanExpo Saturday Madoka shoot.
http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/39749...hoot?h=37e0b3&

It's ALIVE!
http://www.toyslogic.com/index.php?m...roducts_type=1
The head & tail rotates.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 08-30-2011 at 02:04 PM.
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #470
Siyana

Unfortunately I have no clue where I left the bottle, and I'll be at school until tonight, but I found the brand by searching around coscom. If you search around you might be able to find the same thing I did. Keep in mind if you go with vinyl paint, you'll more than likely have to keep touching it up after a while
~ Presea - Tales of Symphonia
~ Mia - Fire Emblem

Next convention: NorCal summer gathering
Deviant Art
Siyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #471
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

I only just got around to watching this series and I've only seen a few episodes so far but I'm really loving it and I think that I'd love to cosplay Madoka! I love her design *__* and I want a plush Kyubey XD

It'd also give me a use for my ultra poofy cupcake petticoat which I really haven't had much of a chance to use which is great.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #472
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
COLORTOOL Sprays is sold at Micheal's
http://www.dmcolor.com/products/

I used it on the PVC fabric bot to turn it from pale purple to brown.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2891531/

Angelus Leather Paint is recommend to turn dark colours lighter.
http://www.turtlefeathers.net/text/angelus/paint.html

FanExpo Saturday Madoka shoot.
http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/39749...hoot?h=37e0b3&

I think I'll go with the Design master floral spray, since it's more readily available. While Angelus has the color I need, I'd rather not pay $16 or more ^_^;

That said, do you have any recommendations for making the yellow floral spray not so.. yellow? Looking at it it looks like a bright yellow, where as I need is more of a dark yellow like golden rod. Looking at the description, it says that the paint is translucent unless applied in multiple coats. Could I layer it to get the color I need?
Unread 08-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #473
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

You can't really mix spray paint since it's in a can. What I recommended I do 2 layers in white to prime the surface an bring I closer to neutral, then do Aspen Yellow or Gold Lumina.

Here's the metalic line.
http://www.dmcolor.com/products/?id=16

Because the colour is translucent you might like what shade the yellow turns on the brown after 3 layers.

Also one of the 4 Ounce Bottles of Angelus Paints for $5 should be enough to cover all your gold bits.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 08-30-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Unread 08-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #474
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
You can't really mix spray paint since it's in a can. What I recommended I do 2 layers in white to prime the surface an bring I closer to neutral, then do Aspen Yellow or Gold Lumina.

Here's the metalic line.
http://www.dmcolor.com/products/?id=16

Because the colour is translucent you might like what shade the yellow turns on the brown after 3 layers.

Also one of the 4 Ounce Bottles of Angelus Paints for $5 should be enough to cover all your gold bits.
XD that's what I meant by "mixing them" using one coat on top of another.

:/ But that said... I went ahead and ordered the Angelus since the Buttercup LOOKS like the color I need. Sigh deglazer+paint+shipping was $15 not sure how much the spraypaint would have been.

here's to hoping it works...
Unread 08-31-2011, 02:59 AM   #475
kyoudai
Mahou Shounen

Hi all.

So I'm trying to get a genderswapped Madoka group together for the 2012 con season, a plan I have been discussing recently with a friend. We kinda hit something of a ideological wall regarding how best to flip Madoka's outfit, with her preferring to keep the poofiness of the original and me favoring a more liberal adaptation in an attempt to avoid it being too "girly". There are pros and cons to each side, but I've been having some trouble getting over my perceptions, so I thought I'd reach out to all y'all for some new perspectives.

Some examples:
3 <--my preference

Any help would be great!
Unread 08-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #476
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

I like the last on as well but I recommend incorporating the bias tape along the edge of the vest.

You might take inspiration from this Character design on that.
http://www.mangareader.net/102-36168...hapter-38.html

The underskirt could also be two tone with the body yellow and the sleeves and collar white.

The only thing I'm afraid of is that the dark pink might be mistaken for Kyoko Sakura. Her "red" is on the pink side of Burgandy. I thin the body should be a muted pink (you don't need it to be as bright of a pink just lighter) with the dark pink/red as accent's.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale

Last edited by WARPAINTandUnicorns : 08-31-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Unread 08-31-2011, 07:11 PM   #477
miugiko
SAO FEEEEEELS

Hi guys! :D I'm currently working on Madoka's mahou shoujo outfit! I'm hoping to get her finished for Halloween and then hopefully wear her for DTAC. Anyway, nice to meet you!
MTAC 2013 alibaba saluja
ANIME NORTH 2013 saber ☒ asuna yuuki
miugiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 01:01 AM   #478
Garen
unapologetic yorozuya

Speaking of genderswaps... Plotting Kyoko-swap (opposite coast I'm afraid, Kyoudai), and I'm kind of... totally blanking on what material to use for the jacket. My defaults are quilters cotton (for linings and applique) and trigger poplin or twill for almost everything else. I feel like twill'd be too heavy though.
"Give it your best shot if you think it's worth it, so if you fail it won't be for lack of trying. If it's not worth your best shot, then why bother?"

Sewing commissions are on hold, but I still do custom pattern-drafting. PM for details.

Katsucon:
Natsu (Fairy Tail), Alibaba (Magi), modern!Kili (The Hobbit)

AnimeBoston:
Yuri (ToV), Allen Avadonia (Evillious Chronicles), Yukimura (SDK)

Last edited by Garen : 09-02-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Garen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 02:02 AM   #479
kyoudai
Mahou Shounen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garen View Post
Speaking of genderswaps... Plotting Kyoko-swap (opposite coast I'm afraid, Kyoudai), and I'm kind of... totally blanking on what material to use for the jacket. My defaults are quilters cotton (for linings and applique) and trigger poplin or twill for almost everything else. I feel like twill'd be too heavy though.
Too bad. I'd fly you out here if I had the money

I used polyester for my genderswapped Homura's white cardigan/jacket thingy and that worked pretty well. I had been thinking about making a genderswap Kyoko as well (because I'm kind of crazy like that) and probably would've used the same stuff. Not too heavy, which is something you definitely have to account for when the big convention is in Los Angeles in July.
Unread 09-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #480
Garen
unapologetic yorozuya

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoudai View Post
Too bad. I'd fly you out here if I had the money

I used polyester for my genderswapped Homura's white cardigan/jacket thingy and that worked pretty well. I had been thinking about making a genderswap Kyoko as well (because I'm kind of crazy like that) and probably would've used the same stuff. Not too heavy, which is something you definitely have to account for when the big convention is in Los Angeles in July.
Yah, really. We've got a group out here, but it's mostly girls doing the girl versions. The other two guys are being standard!Homura (though I might still talk him into genderswap, for the sake of everyone's sanity) and a gijinka version of Kyubey, probably with a troll-face mask.

So, something suiting-ish. I'll see what the store has in the right colour. I kinda like to know fabric widths ahead of time so I can figure out yardage.
"Give it your best shot if you think it's worth it, so if you fail it won't be for lack of trying. If it's not worth your best shot, then why bother?"

Sewing commissions are on hold, but I still do custom pattern-drafting. PM for details.

Katsucon:
Natsu (Fairy Tail), Alibaba (Magi), modern!Kili (The Hobbit)

AnimeBoston:
Yuri (ToV), Allen Avadonia (Evillious Chronicles), Yukimura (SDK)
Garen is offline   Reply With Quote