Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 82 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-22-2011, 01:40 AM   #31
DaniiChan
something clever.

Okay, so I wasn't gonna post in here cause I'm really self-conscious.... but I finished my Dany top today. But now that it's finished I keep over-analyzing it and am very frustrated that it's not looking right. So I need your help.

(apologies for the crappy cell-phone quality pic)

(I fixed it so the left doesn't have so many 'ripples' after the pic) Obviously I don't have the brooches yet...

Anyway, my question to you all is this: I took a creative liberty adding in all those light threads vertically into it to give it the same effect that hers has, but I don't feel I got it... So what should I do? Leave it? Take them out completely? (then I'd have a bunch of holes in it..) or replace them with a darker (yet still lighter) threadthing? Or perhaps any other suggestions?

Any constructive criticism would be appreciated, thank you

Also, though I know you all know it, a quick reference just so you don't have to go looking it up:

DaniiChan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #32
GlassCannon

Actually I think you've done a really great job. The top edge in particular is spot-on. As far as the woven-in pieces, I think the vertical ones look good. From the picture it's hard to tell how they look in different types of light (natural, flash, indoor, etc). I did a similar thing with my Dothraki top, and originally used off-white cotton cord, and it looked way too bright to me. I took it out and used strong black tea to tea dye the cord to a more weathered off-white/light brown. In my case I think that really helped.

So I think your vertical pieces look good, but tea dyeing them might help tone down the brightness, if that's bothering you. That said, the horizontal pieces jump out at me a lot more than the vertical stripes do, particularly the two lowest ones. The vertical threads look like part of the fabric, but the horizontal ones seem to be more just on top of the fabric. But honestly, I think both are little details that only those of us who have been staring at that outfit for this long will even notice, heheh.
Samantha Winchester - Winchester Sisters (Supernatural genderswap) - 100%, adding props
Abaddon - As Time Goes By dress (Supernatural) - 90%
GlassCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #33
NeikoRae

hi everyone! im so glad to find a thread for this show/book. just started the series myself and was planning to cosplay Arya for NYCC, if i can get it done in time. not sure which of her costumes but I'm leaning towards her training outfit (picture with caption syrio forel trains aria)http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Arya_Stark I havnt actually watched the show yet >_< Will anyone else be attending NYCC?
NeikoRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #34
DaniiChan
something clever.

GlassCannon- thank you for your help, I may try and tea dye it, though I've never done that before.

NeiikoRae- You'll make such a good Arya!! I can picture it already I shall see you at NYCC!
DaniiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #35
NeikoRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniiChan View Post
NeiikoRae- You'll make such a good Arya!! I can picture it already I shall see you at NYCC!
@DaniiChan- lol, Hi! See you at NYCC! Good luck with your Danny costume, its looking great so far. can't wait to see it finished!

Last edited by NeikoRae : 08-23-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: forgot to put the word 'Your' in the sentence
NeikoRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #36
EgnirysFaye
Knows all your secrets

Ah so glad that there is a thread - haven't seen the show yet, but been an avid reader of the books all summer (Up to Dance with Dragons now)

Haven't decided what character I fancy doing exactly, but definitely am planning on a cosplay from the series in the upcoming future.

Future/In Progress Cosplays:
||Lyanna (95%) ::Game of Thrones ASOIAF||King Canute::Vinland Saga
|| ? ::Once Upon a Time || Princess Tutu::Princess Tutu{Coppelia}||Louise Belcher::Bob's Burger's
EgnirysFaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #37
KGaleway

I'm making an Arya costume! It's probably going to debut at Wondercon if I can get the time/funds, or SDCC if I can't.

And here's a crappy pic of me for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0803111813a_0001.jpg (133.9 KB, 0 views)
KGaleway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #38
iycis

I don't make it over here much but I saw this thread and thought some of you might find my collection of photos of the screen used costumes useful. I saw them this past spring in NYC when they were displayed at the HBO store.

My husband is looking to have me make a Jon Snow costume for him next year for Dragon Con but I have yet to find a character that I want to costume as myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/evilben...7627280938534/
iycis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #39
vgc

After a really busy and stress filled week, PAX came and went. I didn't even have a chance to try on the full Dany costume until the morning of, but I think it turned out mostly okay. The only thing that I was unhappy about was the wig. I've never worn a wig before and when I put it on that morning, I was seriously thinking about not wearing a wig at all. Any suggestions from all the experienced wig-wearers out there or should I go wigless the next time I wear this costume (I have black hair). Thanks ahead for your input!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deniath...57627419647733
vgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #40
NeikoRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgc View Post
After a really busy and stress filled week, PAX came and went. I didn't even have a chance to try on the full Dany costume until the morning of, but I think it turned out mostly okay. The only thing that I was unhappy about was the wig. I've never worn a wig before and when I put it on that morning, I was seriously thinking about not wearing a wig at all. Any suggestions from all the experienced wig-wearers out there or should I go wigless the next time I wear this costume (I have black hair). Thanks ahead for your input!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deniath...57627419647733
@VGC- the costume looks great and the wig doesn't look bad either, though did you wear a wig cap underneath it? if not you could try one of those or maybe use some hair gel or hair glue to keep any loose strands from falling out under the netting, or alot of pins and clips though those might be uncomfortible after a while

Now... I think I need some advice... I've been looking at many pictures of the costumes I'm trying to do but the more I see the more I feel I have the wrong colored matterial (at this point Im not going for type of material since I have a limited selection) the hardest to figure are Arya's pants in the sword training scenes at times they look blue and then in others grey. I thought I had a good material/ color but now I'm not too sure
its a denim material and originally I was going to use the darker side but now im thinking the lighter side... if even

any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6137.JPG (39.4 KB, 0 views)
Unread 09-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #41
makotohanabi
Chuu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeikoRae View Post
Now... I think I need some advice... I've been looking at many pictures of the costumes I'm trying to do but the more I see the more I feel I have the wrong colored matterial (at this point Im not going for type of material since I have a limited selection) the hardest to figure are Arya's pants in the sword training scenes at times they look blue and then in others grey. I thought I had a good material/ color but now I'm not too sure
its a denim material and originally I was going to use the darker side but now im thinking the lighter side... if even any thoughts?
Can't remember but is it possible Arya's pants seem darker when she's indoor?
I'd say go with which color you like better, just be consistent. I think that using wool or linen would be better.

Found my usb cord and got a photo of my Lyanna costume while on the Iron Throne.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3045108/
Unread 09-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #42
NeikoRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by makotohanabi View Post
Can't remember but is it possible Arya's pants seem darker when she's indoor?
I'd say go with which color you like better, just be consistent. I think that using wool or linen would be better.

Found my usb cord and got a photo of my Lyanna costume while on the Iron Throne.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3045108/
I wanted to use cotton or wool but I can't find anything that come close to the colors I'm looking for (and I'm too afraid to try dying white fabrics to match). I think I'll have to settle with that denim material, it makes me kind of sad but it can't be helped >_<

your lyanna costume is great! how'd it feel to sit on the throne?
Unread 09-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #43
makotohanabi
Chuu?

NeikoRae, my first thought was "Aegon the Conqueror must've had a big @ss. I felt like a little kid.

Had lots of fun sitting on the Iron Throne in other costumes, and taking photos of plushies (including one knighted by George) on the throne as well.

http://fabrics-store.com/ has a huge variety of linen and often has sales.
Unread 09-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #44
NeikoRae

@Makotohanabi- LOL!!! and thanks for the link!
Unread 09-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #45
Thia Fayne
casually topless

Hey! It's been a while since I debuted my Arya costume at SDCC but I figured I'd pop in and share some references and stuff because it looks like more people are cosplaying Arya, which is awesome!

To me her pants look like a faded grayish-green color, based off of this image as well as this one (you can see just a little bit of them underneath her paneled training skirt thing at the bottom).

My Arya pants were made of linen which I dyed, here's a picture of my finished costume! It was a bit of a rush job and they turned out a little lighter/greener than I'd have liked, but I plan on fixing that before I wear the costume again ^^

I also wanted to take a second just to shamelessly share a photo of my friend's Sansa cosplay, because she never posts on here, but she's awesome

Sooo excited to see everyone's GoT/ASoIaF costumes! Keep up the good work, everyone! It makes me so happy to see this series getting cosplayed!! :3
Thia Fayne is offline   Reply With Quote