Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-30-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
Renegade Spiral

Kid's Reactions to Cosplay

Looking around the site in various threads, I see the most adorable stories from fellow cosplayers about reactions and questions they've gotten from little kids X3

So I thought, hey, why not make a thread? :D

This last Otakon on Thursday night, me and my friend were cosplaying pokemon special. I was Blue and she was Red. We were outside the con center and we had stopped so I could take off my shoes, and this family walks past and I here this little girl try to call her moms attention to us going, "It's Ash! Hey look it's Ash!"

a pause,

"....It's a girl! It's a GIRL!!"

Cue me and my friend to burst out laughing once the family was out of earshot.
Renegade Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #2
doxiequeen1

When I was dressed as Stocking a little girl (2-3 years old) came running up to me, yelling "Your like a princess! You LOOK like a princess!!" It was so cute x3

At Otakon I was wearing my Anya costume and another little girl shouted, "She looks like a doll! Mommy, look, she looks like a doll!!" The mother gave me a strange look and pulled the girl away, but it was cute.

Last edited by doxiequeen1 : 09-30-2011 at 09:24 AM.
doxiequeen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
kiratsukai
culture shocked

I work with kids and costumes (Costume section and fitting room at a costume store) so every day is full of adorable kids and costumes stories.

Yesterday a little boy tried on a Batman costume and ran around the store for 20 minutes showing EVERYONE that he was Batman. When his mom lost him, we paged him to the front, "Will Batman please come to the front desk?"

His reaction was pretty adorable

All kids are cosplayers at heart.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
x-Steffi-x
UK Cosplayer...x

Once, coming back from a con, I fell asleep on the train (I was cosplaying as Chii from Chobits) and I distinctly remember hearing tiny stomping footsteps and stopped right next to me as I was dozing. According to my parents when I woke up, a small girl looked at me wide-eyed and squealed "Princess!" then ran back down the train carriage to her parents <3
Usagi Tsukino (School Uniform) - Sailor Moon
Sailor Cosmos - Sailor Moon Sailor Stars
Bubbles - Powerpuff Girls Z

x-Steffi-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Celia Rose
wanna-be abs of steel

At Spokane Comicon I was cosplaying Sheryl Nome. I was browsing some DVDs at a vendor's booth when a woman tapped me shoulder. She said that her daughter would like a picture with me, but was too shy to ask. I turn around, and there was this little girl dressed as Iron Man, probably 4 years old. When I knelt down next to her, she pulled her mask over her face and told me I looked like a princess. I told her she made an awesome Iron Man.

We took a picture together and exchanged brofists. Best cosplay memory I have to date.
Celia Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #6
tifaia
~Pimp Hat +1~

At Animefest in Dallas, I was dressed as Queen Beryl from Sailor Moon, just browsing the artist alley tables before a gathering. A little girl stood next to me wearing one of those Disney princess costumes (Tiana I believe it was) and asked if she could hug me and get a picture. She had the biggest smile on her face and kept telling me that I looked just like a princess. I asked if she knew what character I was, and I LOVED her response. "I don't care. You're really pretty. I want to be just like you." XD Instilling my evil magic into the youth of America, one kid at a time. rofl
~ CosPod - A Cosplay Podcast for Everyone
~ The Geek Spot: All Things Geek Chic. Personal Blog.
~ Flickr Photostream ~ TifaIA Cosplay on Facebook ~ DeviantArt
tifaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
Amanita

I remember attending a local fireworks display in the half-assed Jedi garb I had at the time. One father brought his son up to me, who must have been around 3 years old. He said "My son has always wanted to meet a real, live Jedi!"
Wow. I think I made the kid's night!
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
MagdaleneDaae

My little cousins came over to be baby sat a while ago and saw me working on my Rarity costume, they asked if they could play ponies too. Now there's a chance they're coming to a con with me for a few hours as The Cutie Mark Crusaders if their mom has time to drive them there and back.

I've also had kids ask me if I was Sleeping Beauty when I was dressed as Jaina Proudmoore...I guess it's the blonde hair and the dress since these ones were very little. I didn't want to come off mean so I went with the 'sure, why not?' route and nodded.

Then one time I went to the mall during Otakon as Harley Quinn with my friends as Cat Woman and Poison Ivy. These women a bit older than us (so mid-late twenties) with toddlers said 'Aww! Batman girls! Kids, go take a picture with The Joker's girlfriend!' The little kids were terrified except for one so their moms just took pictures of my group and the one little girl.
"I did not spend centuries feasting on the souls of the righteous to play typing games with the functionally illiterate."-Kil'Jaeden, Scourge Chat Log #1
MagdaleneDaae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
Lulexiaa
BE THE LEAF

IT WAS EARLY SUNDAY MORNING!!! MORNING OF NYAF2010

I was walking into the con with my Ciel cosplay and these 2 little girls were like "Oh my god! I love your costume!!!" and their dad was with them and he said "I'm telling you guys, this is the place to be!!!"

Really cute and it brightened up my day!!! ^__^
Unread 09-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
crystalamaris
The Reaper Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifaia View Post
At Animefest in Dallas, I was dressed as Queen Beryl from Sailor Moon, just browsing the artist alley tables before a gathering. A little girl stood next to me wearing one of those Disney princess costumes (Tiana I believe it was) and asked if she could hug me and get a picture. She had the biggest smile on her face and kept telling me that I looked just like a princess. I asked if she knew what character I was, and I LOVED her response. "I don't care. You're really pretty. I want to be just like you." XD Instilling my evil magic into the youth of America, one kid at a time. rofl
That's just plain cute!

Aseliacon 2014
Marian Fustel
Alvin (Tales of Xillia)
Marta Lualdi (Tales of Symphonia)
Chester Barklight (Tales of Phantasia)
Spada (Tales of Innocence)

Sakuracon 2014
Marian Fustel
Mary (Ib)
Estelle (Tales of Vesperia)
Chester Barklight
crystalamaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
Shana05
The Nation of Love

The ones I remember most are when I'm cosplaying Lucy from Elfen Lied.

I was having dinner and I noticed a little girl pointing at me saying "kitty." The horns are often mistaken for cat ears even by adults. I don't think she could see much of my cosplay from her angle though.

Since I put a lot blood splatter for this costume I've had a few kids take a step back and say "blood" in a scared tone. I usually don't respond to these as I don't want to scare them more.

Another one that just makes me laugh. The con was held at a hotel near Royals stadium and the Red Sox were playing them the same weekend. So a lot of Red Sox fans were staying there. While I was cosplaying Jessica I need to get something from my car. At this point the baseball fans are heading inside. A kid who I think was about 10 noticed my fangs and side-stepped to hide behind his mom. It's like he thought I was a real vampire. Honestly, a kid that age should know vampires aren't real.

Anime Central: Maid Cafe!Aiichiro Nitori (Free!) - Flapper fem!America (Hetalia) - Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013) - Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)

Last edited by Shana05 : 09-30-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
Lurrdoc
[SHSL ???]

So many cute stories. :333 HNNNNNGG. THE MANLY TEARS WONT STOP FLOWING.

I'll never forget the look on several kids' faces that asked me to take a picture with them @ Supercon 2011 when I cosplayed as Rock Lee. One even went as far as to say, "Wow. So cool."

Its the kinda stuff that just really makes your day great.

| deviantArt | tumblr | MyAnimeList |

| Rock Lee - 90% | Relius Clover - 85% | Gunha Sogiita - 65% |
Lurrdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #13
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

When I was Aska from MagicKnight RayEarth I little girl came up to me and called me a "real live princess" with awe in her eyes. It was sooo cute.
Unread 09-30-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
Yesterday a little boy tried on a Batman costume and ran around the store for 20 minutes showing EVERYONE that he was Batman. When his mom lost him, we paged him to the front, "Will Batman please come to the front desk?"

His reaction was pretty adorable

All kids are cosplayers at heart.
Lol that's pretty cool. He's lucky you guys were tolerant of kids running through the stores. The costume stores I have been to are very uptight about stuff, and sometimes don't even let customers try on costumes.
But yea I agree that kids are cosplayers at heart. Dress up is very similar to cosplaying, it's just that cosplaying is like a much more involved version of dress up. I remember having those princess gowns from the Disney store as a child, and even being like "this isn't what it looks like in the show, looks nothing like this". Of course when I said that my mom just ignored it, but it just show sthat I was picky with accuracy when I was little.

I don't really have any cute kid reactions to share, given the nature of who I cosplay. But at NYCC last year this mother saw me and was like "oh look Johnny Depp! Go take a pic with them" and she had her kid stand in front of me while she took a picture. it was very weird. I don't think she quite knew who I was.
Unread 09-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #15
LeekFish
Clow Reader

At Anime Expo this year, I was cosplaying as Diva!Miku on Saturday. I was sitting beside my girlfriend on the bus waiting to leave for the con, and a very nice family of four hopped on; they had a little girl who took one look at me and her face completely just lit up, it was SO cute. ;u; So I smiled and waved at her, which she seemed thrilled about. xD I'm not entirely sure if she knew who Miku is, but it seemed like she thought I was really her (which is always a compliment in itself!) When we got to the con and hopped off the bus, I was about to pose for a photo for someone when the same little girl ran over and was asking me if I was going to the convention and talking excitedly about everything; I offered her a hug, which was when her little brother (who was cosplaying as Armstrong from FMA and looked ADORABLE) ran over for one as well and oh my gosh they were SO CUTE. They both kept trying to talk to me at once and asking tons of questions until their parents had to pull them along. x'D

I swear, it made my entire day. <3

2013 Cosplays
Ultimate Madoka, Puella Magi Madoka Magica - 93%
Fluttershy, My Little Pony - 85%
Cocoa, Fisheye Placebo - 100%
Gumi (Camellia), Vocaloid - 50%
Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony - 60%
Fionna, Adventure Time - 70%
LeekFish is offline   Reply With Quote