Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photo Tutorials

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-10-2011, 01:31 AM   #31
adolf
A+ ANGEL

You can't go wrong with generic elegant poses!
I suggest taking a look at some Lolita magazines and seeing how people pose in frilly dresses and aristocrat fashion for ideas.
adolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-10-2011, 06:55 AM   #32
astronological
Delirious Biznasty

hmm, if you want to be in character for Ciel, like, he knows he's a guy, the audience who views him know there's more to him than a girl in a dress, etc etc etc.
i say to ALWAYS. i mean ALWAYS. tote a 'holier than thou' (lolironic?) look on your face.
stand with your posture straightened, practice holding an air of confidence (or something that seems that way) and just be, in general, cocky yet noble.
i always find that Ciel cosplayers tend to portray him nicely by tilting your head slightly up to the camera. yes, this is for regular Ciel, but this applies to his female version as well.
this is, though, if you are trying to be 'boy-trying-to-be-a-woman-but-failing-because-he's-too-rich-and-noble-for-this-stuff' Ciel.

in character for girl!Ciel when he was acting like a different person, try being a little bashful, and mock!modest.
i agree with adolf when they said generic elegant poses. i see a lot of female Ciels doing that.
... and stuff.
no pictures, i apologize.

my tumblr
astronological is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #33
amyisheycool
Meoow

Thanks everyone!!
amyisheycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #34
Camilleathome

And make sure to take lots of pics XD
Camilleathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #35
Taemin8
Panicky Perfectionist

try the "pouty girl" look if you're looking for authenticity. obviously he's not psyched about being a girl and even less so about it being documented. although i say have fun with it! a cute cross-dressing ciel always makes the audience smile/squeel.
Taemin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #36
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

More Creative Poses?

Don't know if this can be applied to my character at all, but I was wondering if anyone has any more poses I could do? I seem to always get into the pose below

But I think I do that too much. Is there anything else I could do? Poses that involve other people would be great too. I feel like I don't pose well when people ask for photos, I do too much of the same thing. I need more variety. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I can try the suggestions at NY Comic Con. xD

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #37
Kawaiichibiz

Well I would suggest to just look at pictures of the character from google or something and see examples of how their character poses, and maybe try a few you like.
My favorite XD
Rock Lee (Naruto)
Feferi (Homestuck)
Kagura (Gintama)
Finn (Adventure Time)
Tumblr
Deviantart
Kawaiichibiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 01:46 PM   #38
SweeneyTodd

haha alright thanks. I have tried that Epiphany pose before, it's kinda awkward to do in the halls of a con center. I think I definitely need a Mrs. Lovett or someone to play off of to help with posing.

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 10-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #39
firecloak

You can pretend to slit someone's throat xD

I sometimes do that with my props when I'm posing with someone else.
firecloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 11:15 PM   #40
SweeneyTodd

Haha, I like that idea. I have done it a couple times, I think I need to get better at positioning myself though as all those pictures turn out strange. I think its my height that really makes everything awkward

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 10-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #41
candly

I agree with looking at the official stuff n' all that jazz everyone says. CX Sometimes it makes a really epic photo.
Personally though, that pose you have there is just fine for the character! Let me put a little input of what I think would help.

-The knife. It's facing straight toward the camera. Try holding it sideways or slightly upward to show it off. Bigger is always better! Own that knife, bro! You're a mad, mad killer and that knife is yo' best friend! XD

-Your other arm. It's behind your back or on your hip, right? Well, to make the pose more dynamic, do something with it. Hold it up a la fencing pose if you want to brandish that knife about, as an idea. Or maybe stroke that barber's blade lovingly! Whatever you feel fits with a character, really. Just try and not have an appendage disappear.

-Last but not least, your expression. Now, I don't know much of Sweeney Todd. But what I've seen of him in trailers and posters and online, he seems to have a small range of emotion and that's tough to work with. For a photo, sometimes that doesn't come across well. There's a fine line between emotionless and dazed, eh? So choose an expression and don't be afraid to be bold and overdo it just a tad! Maybe a maniacal grin or a smug smirk. Again, you know the character far more than I. What do you think fits him well?

There's my two cents! I hope I helped (and I hope I made sense. XP)
candly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #42
Ragtime Mouth
Can + Bakery + ??= Profit

One thing that always works out well is looking away or above the camera, which works out well for ol' Toddy since he serenades his own blades. This one is the same as the pose you shown, only it's to a side and looking more upwards. With his gaunt face, looking up and to the side usually help make my face look longer and thinner. If you open your mouth slightly whilst doing it --like so--, it can make the make up look more shadowed. The only time I knew of him smiling was when he was singing "My Friends", otherwise most of his character is very cynical and it shows in his face. Maybe even hold the blade up close to the cameras without looking it the camera (if they let you..) as if the perspective of the camera is of a persons. Like this. Crazy eyes and all.

Needed to be known about method acting a character who has been acted out before is to be the role of Sweeny Todd, not the actors portrayal entirely. Method acting takes staying in character even out of cosplay, which isn't necessarily needed, but for Sweeny Todd's character, I can imagine it being harder to stay in character even in photos so I'd have to get into the characters head... seeing how cons surround you with so much colorful atmosphere, and people.
Ragtime Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #43
SweeneyTodd

lol yea its really unfortunate that my eyes are small, it makes it hard to do varied expressions, which is where a large part of my fail comes from :P Thanks for those photos! Those were really good. I like your suggestions

Also, yea I know about method acting, just never really saw the need to delve into it too much. That is also what I have been trying to do with Sweeney, which is why I have watched basically all mainly known incarnations of Sweeney (stage productions and films) in order to gain a better understanding of who Sweeney is in general, as well as reading the books. But I found the many versions of Sweeney combined come out more when I RP online. lol

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 10-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #44
SweeneyTodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by candly View Post
I agree with looking at the official stuff n' all that jazz everyone says. CX Sometimes it makes a really epic photo.
Personally though, that pose you have there is just fine for the character! Let me put a little input of what I think would help.

-The knife. It's facing straight toward the camera. Try holding it sideways or slightly upward to show it off. Bigger is always better! Own that knife, bro! You're a mad, mad killer and that knife is yo' best friend! XD

-Your other arm. It's behind your back or on your hip, right? Well, to make the pose more dynamic, do something with it. Hold it up a la fencing pose if you want to brandish that knife about, as an idea. Or maybe stroke that barber's blade lovingly! Whatever you feel fits with a character, really. Just try and not have an appendage disappear.

-Last but not least, your expression. Now, I don't know much of Sweeney Todd. But what I've seen of him in trailers and posters and online, he seems to have a small range of emotion and that's tough to work with. For a photo, sometimes that doesn't come across well. There's a fine line between emotionless and dazed, eh? So choose an expression and don't be afraid to be bold and overdo it just a tad! Maybe a maniacal grin or a smug smirk. Again, you know the character far more than I. What do you think fits him well?

There's my two cents! I hope I helped (and I hope I made sense. XP)
Your suggestions are awesome! xD
I lol'ed at what you said about my razors "own that knife bro!"
Yea alright, I will then. I will probably try your suggestions, I will also look at other cosplayers of Sweeney Todd and see what they do.
Yea, my other arm is always such a problem. I never know what to do with it, sometimes it looks like it got amputated o___o so I gotta do something with it to avoid that. lol yay for awkward posing

As for the expression, that is what I have the hardest time with... because I literally have no range of expressions. My facial muscles don't do what they should do i guess, and also the size of my eyes does not help anything at all. So facial expressions are totally what contributes to my fail-ness. if I could, I would try to get more of an angered/annoyed look I guess, since that seems to work best. I wish I could get the intensity that some of these cosplayers get, like this person. That is what I need. But can't get. So annoying!!!

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 10-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #45
Blackstar96
GREATEST ASSASIN EVER!!!!

Posing for a rather neutral character?

Me and about 2 of my friends are doing our first cosplays next year and some of them are rather simple. and we will definaly be photgraphing each other, but i dont know how to pose for a simple character... since none of us have cosplayed before we arent to fermiliar with photographing in a pose. who can give advice for simple poses?
Blackstar96 is offline   Reply With Quote