Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 272 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-12-2011, 03:16 PM   #181
CherriPetalz
waht is this

This is more like "Is this a good fabric to use?" question but I kinda felt like it belongs here!

My mom and I went out to the fabric store and I kinda got sticker shock ($20 per yard of cotton, where I used to live, cotton was like $4 per yard and I only had about $60 to spend on the fabric) So we went to the back rack were they had the sale. My mom picked up a black fabric that turned out to be polyester and it's really nice.

Is that fine to use for the jacket of Ciel's outfit, or should I spend another $60 on the cotton? I'm still pretty new at sewing my own cosplays .________.
CherriPetalz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #182
Yuuzuki_x

I'm not the greatest when it comes to fabrics outside of my norm, like cotton or polyestor, but I was wondering about this outfit here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmyDh...eature=related

It's Len Kagamine's punkish outfit from Project Diva 2. This is the best reference I have of the outfit. (You can also click other videos). But I'm wondering if I should wander into the world of pleather/vinyl for this outfit...? I'm terribly sorry to bother people for assisstance and I try to figure things out on my own, but I'm just way out of my league on this one.

Thanks in advance for all the help. Heh...
Kuranosuke - Princess Jellyfish
Katsucon 2013:
Robin - Young Justice
Amulet Spade - Shugo Chara
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Pon Pon Pon
Yuuzuki_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #183
PrimroseAmelia
Potterhead Disnerd

What fabric should I use for Anya's orphan costume from the movie Anastasia?

Reference 1
Reference 2
Reference 3
Reference 4
PrimroseAmelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #184
lulu.doll

I'm looking for a fabric that's breathable since I'm trying to time it for a Otakon which takes place in the very humid and hot baltimore in summer.

SeeU -

I'd rather have the fabric to not be shiny.

For the top (and bracelets), it looks like its thick and hard orz.
it's the top (and bracelets) that's more of a problem than the skirt.
lulu.doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #185
myalchod
reflections and dreams

lulu.doll -- For breathability, natural fibres (e.g. cotton) are usually a good bet -- I've worn five layers of cotton and silk, including a couple heavy ones, and been fairly comfortable in a hot summer. That said, for the top I'd suggest looking for a mid- to heavyweight cotton sateen; it'll give you some of the sheen in that image without being really shiny, and while it looks substantial it breathes rather well. If you really don't want any sheen, consider a cotton twill. (That top's a slightly odd colour, but you could dye cottons if you wanted to.) You could also consider layering a wicking undershirt beneath it to help with sweat.

(Yuuzuki_x -- I can't load videos or I'd try to help; do you have any screenshots or stills?)
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Journal ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #186
Original Name

I'm going to make Colette Brunel.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/c...lette.png?o=11
http://media.photobucket.com/image/c...ngles.jpg?o=47

I've never really sewn anything and I was looking for a fabric that's easy to work with. I also don't have a sewing machine, so my only option is to hand sew everything. What fabric would be good for the top, and what I should use for the blue lining?

Also, what should I use for the boot covers?

I forget a lot, so if you'd PM me it'd work better.

Thank you :3

Last edited by Original Name : 10-18-2011 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something.
Original Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #187
noblelement

I'd like to do a BRS cosplay. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4099/...76712598_o.jpg

Would it be completely taboo to make the jacket out of a tight sport-weight cotton? To me it looks a lot like an adidas track jacket... I'd probably go with either denim/cotton or matte pleather bikini & shorts. The other option would be to go entirely pleather.
noblelement is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #188
lulu.doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by myalchod View Post
lulu.doll -- For breathability, natural fibres (e.g. cotton) are usually a good bet -- I've worn five layers of cotton and silk, including a couple heavy ones, and been fairly comfortable in a hot summer. That said, for the top I'd suggest looking for a mid- to heavyweight cotton sateen; it'll give you some of the sheen in that image without being really shiny, and while it looks substantial it breathes rather well. If you really don't want any sheen, consider a cotton twill. (That top's a slightly odd colour, but you could dye cottons if you wanted to.) You could also consider layering a wicking undershirt beneath it to help with sweat.

(Yuuzuki_x -- I can't load videos or I'd try to help; do you have any screenshots or stills?)
thanks for the suggestion. do you think i should use a different fabric for the top, black neck part? i know that i'll probably use fabric gel or something to draw the soundwaves...
lulu.doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:27 AM   #189
ZeroEnna
Geocaching Cosplayer

Okay, so I'm going to do Ryo Akizuki from Idolm@ster Dearly Stars next year. and still I am wondering about how to do it ("All in Good Time" doesn't go with me ).
So I have this belly-free top with this shiny, sparkling material. I would say it's vinyl or something, but what I don't get:

Where to buy it from? (Please note that I need international shipping to Germany)
How to apply it on leather boots (I also need it).

Here is a reference picture:

Ref Pic (Ryo (very right-hand side) and his group)

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards

ZeroEnna
ZeroEnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #190
Yuuzuki_x

Quote:
Originally Posted by myalchod View Post

I have a few. It's hard to find good pictures, and the screenshots I take are always horrible. D ;

http://projectdiva.wikispaces.com/fi.../m_punkish.png
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8...048resized.jpg
http://miku.sega.jp/arcade/img/item/module/len_05.jpg

Thank you so much.
Kuranosuke - Princess Jellyfish
Katsucon 2013:
Robin - Young Justice
Amulet Spade - Shugo Chara
Kyary Pamyu Pamyu - Pon Pon Pon
Yuuzuki_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 12:05 AM   #191
Ekala

http://www.zerochan.net/781463#full

THAT JACKET

It's obviously a letter/varsity jacket, except with some extra baubles and it's far too shiny to be the wool blend that most of those jackets use. I'd rather buy it, but I still need some sort of fabric to look for to get the correct lightweight jacket-type thing going on. Any ideas?
Ekala is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #192
tereshkova2001

Ekala: that looks like a track/baseball jacket to me. They were pretty popular in the 80s and you might be able to find one at a thrift store. If I made one, I'd do it out of light polyester with a quilted lining.
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #193
Palegia

I'm making this dress for the ball at Anime Boston this year. Most of it is pretty easy. Big skirt, sewing a corset from a pattern, but then there's that wierd pleated pink stuff. What kind of fabric would be stiff enough to hold the pleat and hold itself up? We were going to iron a pleat into it. We were thinking a satin taffeta, but it doesn't stand straight up like we need it two. Could I put interfacing on the back of the taffeta, then iron the pleats? What do you think would work?
Palegia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:14 AM   #194
MalteseLizzie

I would use cotton to make Anya's smock/dress
MalteseLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #195
tereshkova2001

Hmm, Palegia, I'm a little surprised the taffeta isn't stiff enough to stand on it's own. I guess there are different weights.
Yeah, I'd interface it and use 2 layers of taffeta, so both sides look the same. It'll give you a nice finished edge and reinforce the pleats.
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote