Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #31
DaniiChan
something clever.

Yes! Got to NYCC cause I want pics too! *also wearing Dany but different outfit* PLUS Jason Momoa is going to be there. INCENTIVE!
DaniiChan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #32
Skxawng

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniiChan View Post
Yes! Got to NYCC cause I want pics too! *also wearing Dany but different outfit* PLUS Jason Momoa is going to be there. INCENTIVE!
Lol done. ahaha!

Gonna have to learn more dothraki to shout at him
Unread 08-23-2011, 10:47 PM   #33
NeikoRae

oh wow, the costumes looking great/ impressive so far! It would be fantastic to see you at NYCC if you could make it!
NeikoRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #34
Skxawng

progress at last

Sooo

I've been busy in life, but also busy on the side. Now that its October though, I've got a month to complete the costume for halloween.

During Hurricane Irene my power went out, and I had nothing at all to do but sew together the leather pants by candle light. The following day when the lights came on, I threw everything on and this is what it looks like:

The zipper in the front is taken from the pants I cut up to make the pattern, and will be hidden entirely, otherwise I'd have to make a leather zipper or cover somehow.

I really, really need a new camera. You can also see that the Arakh is basically shaped out. All that is left to do with that is add the hilt detail, and then polish the blade smooth, and paint the whole thing.

Speaking of blades, I've been beating my head against the wall that is casting the knife. I started by splitting the knife in half using some spare chavant and cardboard. I wish I had some styrofoam at the time but alas none was in sight.

I used Smooth-on's Rebound 35 for the silicone mold, several layers, followed up by a layer of plasti-paste. And then I slushed around some resin in the mold. Once that hardened, I put the mold together, and then poured in more to fill in the gap. First pull:

Not bad, but there are a few gaps and bubbles, and the blade doesn't feel heavy enough. I'm currently re-casting, only this time I've added some metal wire to the blade part, which should add some weight.

Finally I've casted the medallions. Actually this was done a while ago:

and spraypainted:

and after a bit of crashing and burning with the antiquing, here's what we're left with

I've also been making a good deal of beads out of Apoxie Sculpt, for the ceremonial belt. I've also realized, thanks to some scrutiny on my part, that beneath the girdle, and the ceremonial belt, is a hide sash with hair still on it. Given that its gotten pretty chilly as of late, I can't say I'd complain about an extra layer. Still need to buy more fur-on hide, though.

There's a lot the left to be done.

Main Girdle: 100%
Complete

Bracers: 100%

Pants: 85%
- Purchase Dye
- Purchase Satin Finish
- Dye
- Add finish

Hide Sash / Loincloth: 30%
Materials 70% collected.
Creation at 0%
- Cut hide to shape
- Sew together
- Further augment, fit to self

Ceremonial Belt 60%
- 'Antique' the now silver-painted medallions
- Make 30 more intermediary beads from Apoxie Sculpt
- Make 30-40 large beads for ceremonial loincloth
- Paint/Antique the beads
- Tear more strands for ceremonial loincloth
- Weave loincloth together, add strands of beads and the like
- Sew feathers onto ceremonial loincloth
- Put together

Knives: 60%
- Cast two more with epoxy resin
- Clean up casts
- Make model adjustments
- Buy brass, ebony spraypaint
- Paint

Arakh: 65%
- Add hilt details with Apoxie Sculpt
- Sand everything smooth
- Paint
- Antique

Hair/Face: 0%
- Buy horsehair, figure out how to attach into hair
- Buy Gold hairbands, or some better looking alternative
- Figure out a good temporary hair dye for hair and beard
- Figure out makeup
Unread 10-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #35
DaniiChan
something clever.

Everything looks really good!!!

I too spent most of powerless Irene hand-sewing my Daenerys skirt by candlelight XD
Unread 10-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #36
NeikoRae

looks great so far, I especially love the props (weapons and belt medallions) man so much work done and left to be done. It will look awsome when finished!

heheh & looks like we were all hindered by irene (didn't want to set my costume on fire accidentally by candle light so I cut and pinned by daylight until the power returned >_< )

Good luck with the rest of it!
Unread 10-24-2011, 11:41 PM   #37
Skxawng

MUCH DELAY IN UPDATES/RESPONSE. A lot of shit came up recently that was unavoidable. As such I was unable to make it to NYCC ;_; which I was VERY disappointed about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniiChan View Post
Everything looks really good!!!

I too spent most of powerless Irene hand-sewing my Daenerys skirt by candlelight XD
ahaha awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeikoRae View Post
looks great so far, I especially love the props (weapons and belt medallions) man so much work done and left to be done. It will look awsome when finished!
Thanks its really starting to come together now and I'm very excited. Side note though, I'm somewhat impressed with Momoa's ability to move in the outfit, as its surprisingly restrictive.

Finishing. Everything. Up.

I've got a mad 3 day dash to get everything done before i head up to philly for halloween. I'll be going to work as drogo as well, so thursday night is the absolute deadline. I expect to have to stay up very late in the coming days.

The biggest thing that's been keeping me busy is the hide sash, which I realized was there while scrutinizing screenshots of drogo in order to figure out the ceremonial loincloth. Past that, I've also been working on the ceremonial loincloth. Tonight I sewed on the feathers to the sides, and dyed it to match the pants/girdle. Tomorrow night I weave together a bunch of jute bundles with beads and attach it to the front of the ceremonial loincloth, as well as figuring out a good way to attach it to myself securely. I'll also need to fix up / add to the hide sash, and do the finishing touches on the knives before i paint them on wednesday.

Thats another problem. In sunlight or Incandescent light, all of the leather looks very very red It faded after drying - when I initially applied it it seemed perfect. Sooo tomorrow I go to tandy's to pick up some light blue or green leather dye. My hope is that the additional color will muddy up the red, and at the very least cause it to be far darker than successive layers of the Mahogany Brown dye is accomplishing. I figure it'd be better to be very dark than very red, ultimately. A bit of a lesson though: when you do tests of leather dye, do it on very large pieces of leather instead of thumb-sized pieces, so you can see how it turns out on a wide scale.

That said, it'll look fine at night. I'll just need to fix it somehow before I go to a con.

Sorry for the crappy shots. I need a new camera. Hopefully I'll be able to get some high quality photos from my coworkers on friday of the completed deal. For now though, these will have to do:

Left to do is ... get the hair extensions in, figure out how to attach to my hair. Figure out a beard extension, buy and figure out how to apply mascara/eye shadow, shave my eyebrow a bit, temporarily dye my hair and beard dark black, finish the knives, try to finish the arakh (probably won't) get my boots from zappos (tomorrow!) Another big thing is to shave off sections of hide on the sash and dye from the back so that its not so white and clean, giving it the effect of longtime use, cut it up a bit more so its less like an amalgamation of hide scraps. Then I need to finish the back of the girdle so that the buckles arent out in the open and there's not a space in my lower back. Figure out the blue paint, put it in a bottle that I can carry and easily apply. Finish antiquing medallion beads (there are a few lacking) Get some gauze, dye it offwhite for the hands ... work out ... and go yell some dothraki at my friends

Very excited!

Ladies, I need your help; what do I need to turn my eye sockets black and drogo-y?
Unread 10-25-2011, 01:24 AM   #38
A Grue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skxawng View Post

Ladies, I need your help; what do I need to turn my eye sockets black and drogo-y?

I'm so glad you're still working on this! Your progress photos have been too good for you to just run off without showing us the finished product.

Black Eye Sockets! Easy enough: go to your local corner pharmacy or all-purpose store (wal-mart, target, meijer, etc) and buy some black eye-shadow. It'll come with a tiny little brush in the little tiny box; ignore that! Drogo doesnt need tiny spongy brushes. You'll probably be best using a finger or a cotton ball to apply the eye shadow around your eye. Don't forget to close your eyes and darken the eyelid, too.

If you have a steady hand, you can also get a black eyeliner pencil to darken the waterline around your eye to get that black color right up to your eye; Momoa does in the show, although he has a whole makeup crew behind him.

Good luck!! I hope you'll be finished in time!
A Grue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 08:26 AM   #39
Skxawng

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Grue View Post
I'm so glad you're still working on this! Your progress photos have been too good for you to just run off without showing us the finished product.
Thank you!! And rest assured, I'll have plenty of photos once the costume is complete. I think I'll be going to the Pennsylvania Renaissance fair this saturday with my buddies all dressed up, and I expect they'll take a whole slew of photos then, at the very least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Grue View Post
Black Eye Sockets! Easy enough: go to your local corner pharmacy or all-purpose store (wal-mart, target, meijer, etc) and buy some black eye-shadow. It'll come with a tiny little brush in the little tiny box; ignore that! Drogo doesnt need tiny spongy brushes. You'll probably be best using a finger or a cotton ball to apply the eye shadow around your eye. Don't forget to close your eyes and darken the eyelid, too.

If you have a steady hand, you can also get a black eyeliner pencil to darken the waterline around your eye to get that black color right up to your eye; Momoa does in the show, although he has a whole makeup crew behind him.

Good luck!! I hope you'll be finished in time!
Thanks again!!! One question though; when applying mascara does one apply it on the area just beneath the eyelashes or above them? (when applying to lower lid)
Unread 10-25-2011, 11:12 AM   #40
A Grue

You'll pull the mascara brush on top of your lashes; that is, on the side facing your eyeball and not on the side facing your cheek. c:
A Grue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #41
Skxawng

After working for 7 solid hours after getting home at 8, and waking up early ... its about 95% complete. There are a few tweaks that need to happen but for the most part I'm happy with the result. The pants and belt were re-dyed so they wouldn't be so red, but in the fluorescent light they end up feeling very black. Hopefully soon I'll have a better quality image to throw up here soon, but for now, not bad :P

Last edited by Skxawng : 10-30-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Skxawng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #42
Ricky45

The stuff looks good. great job under candle lights.
Ricky45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #43
Skxawng

Thanks Ricky!!

More Pics

Last edited by Skxawng : 10-30-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Skxawng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 08:57 PM   #44
NeikoRae

it looks fabulous! Great job! All that hard work really paid off ^_^ Can't wait to see more pics of you and the costume in action! (and do be carefull with the dagers... that, if they get knocked around they don't end up pulling/stretching/breaking at the mid section)
Unread 10-28-2011, 11:45 PM   #45
DaniiChan
something clever.

Love it!!!! Came out perfectly =) You best wear that to a con some day! I wanna see it in person!