Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-21-2011, 08:54 PM   #361
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petite <3 View Post
I have a question regarding natural lighting in a convention center as being your subject light. I've been attempting to try this on my off time and can't seem to get it right.

Sunlight behind makes the model's face too shadowed and sunlight from behind me onto them is too harsh. I see photographers get beautiful warm shots with no flash but I must be doing something wrong?
Using a flash to fill your subject can help, but it can add too much flat light that is unnatural looking. Natural light usually comes from many directions and has a more 3 demensional effect with than a flash on the camera.

Since you say your subjects look dark when the sun is behind them, using manual exposure or exposure compensation can solve this issue. Automatic exposure mode can be fooled by the bright background, so try using those controls I mentioned. Take a photo using manual exposure settings and see if the exposure needs to brighter or darker. Keep trying different settings until you are happy. Exposure compensation is when you are using the camera in auto exposure mode, but you set the camera to go brighter or darker. There are increments you can try. Then the faces should look as you want them to.

Good lighting exists all day and all night. It is just a matter of moving around, and trying different angles. Look, and you can find.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #362
sukotsuto
Just call me Scott (^_^)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh chiriness View Post
I've posted a new thread topic on General Cosplay chat and also posted the question on 'Ask a Cosplayer' but I also wanted to address the issue/question to photographers as well since it involves both parties. =)

So basically my question is this:

Is it okay for a photographer/company to sell cosplay photos of someone as stock photos WITHOUT the cosplayer's permission or prior consent?

I ask this because I'm currently going through this issue with a particular company regarding photos taken of me and my group at Anime Expo. Without getting into too much of the detail, you can read my post in General Cosplay chat here:

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=257254

I encourage all to read this and I really hope that I can get some feedback on this matter from both a photographers perspective and cosplayers. All help and opinions are definitely appreciated. Thanks! =)
Looks like there is a lot of information there.

Selling a photo of someone (their likeness) as a stock photo without a release is not legal. Keep in mind that it can be sold for editorial use only on some stock sites and that is legal. There is a big distinction between being a general stock photo and one for editorial use.

I'm confused by the talk about expecting photos from these people because you spent a lot of effort on your costume? That's another matter all together and I don't see any legal basis for expecting people to give you photos they took of you. I guess you could have provided some type of ultimatum when they asked for a photo, but then a written agreement would be best for that. In the modeling world there is a term "time for prints" that means a beginner model will give their time to the photographer in exchange for prints (or a CD). The kicker here is that the trade off the model gives is.... signing a model release. The photographer gets photos they can use in a professional sense and the model gets photos for their portfolio.

Edit: those sites in your blog article look like news related organizations. The first one calls themselves a "press agency" and the other has the word news in their site address, but I can't access any specifics on how they say images can be used without having a username. I'm not really seeing a misuse here besides that quote you have from the convention's attendee agreement, but that has nothing to do with you personally and would have to be something the convention does something about.

Last edited by sukotsuto : 10-21-2011 at 10:33 PM.
sukotsuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 01:10 AM   #363
teh chiriness
The Gatekeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfsama View Post
What they are doing is unethical (although they probably donít think so) and a violation of Anime Expo rules. I would file a complaint with the AX press department. Also, you might want inform the Photographer that MANY cosplayers are minors and selling their pictures without parental consent may be grounds for a civil suit.
I appreciate your reply and I love your post! Makes so much sense and this is exactly what my boyfriend and I were discussing. We definitely won't let this matter slide and we are planning to get in touch with AX/SPJA early next week to notify them on this matter. =)

I found out tonight (literally no more than an hour ago) that the sites we've been having the issues with have taken down the photos of us that we requested! O: Needless to say that we are extremely happy about this and relieved! You can read more about the details on my post here if you're interested. =)

Also, I'll say it again since I also said it after AX ended but your photography work is amazing, by the way. We're the Scarlet Devil Mansion group from Touhou Project. You're photographs of us are by far one of the best sets of us that I've seen! =)
teh chiriness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #364
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBeautiful View Post
Aw, you don't have to be scared of us. Just because we're carrying lots of equipment or fancy gear doesn't make us any less of a fellow geek/fangirl/fanboy!
Yup, I have been into Anime, Manga and Games long before I got into Anime Conventions. I have a blog that goes into the academic side of those hobbies (with fun stuff like reviews). Oh yeah, did I mention that I am on the Board of Directors for the organization behind Anime Expo?

That is pretty darn nerdy if you ask me. Just because I am a photographer doesn't mean I am any less of a fan. There are many anime, manga, and videogame series that I absolutely adore and make a point to take extra pictures of if I have the chance.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime California, Comikaze Expo, Pacific Media Expo
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 01:52 AM   #365
Gemmy_Juneko
anger on a roll

What!? OAO I'm not implying that a photographer is less of a fan. Im scare of photographers because I'm scared of rejection. It may be because you don't have room or just bluntly not interested in my costume which is what I will assume either way but I will take it as my outfit was interesting enough for you to spare your time on. So i probably still wouldn't go up to a photographers. That being said I at least know its not rude to ask a photographer for a picture. . .(even though im sure i wont do it.)
Unread 10-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #366
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy_Juneko View Post
I'm scared of rejection.
Photographers feel this way too (at least the honest ones do ).
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #367
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

*nods* ^that^, for sure

Upcoming:
Unread 10-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #368
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfsama View Post
Photographers feel this way too (at least the honest ones do ).
Agreed, having someone turn you down hurts.

In the almost 10 years I have been doing cosplay photography, there has been a handful of times I have been rejected outright.

Unread 10-27-2011, 12:49 AM   #369
TykeJack
envisageu.deviantart.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcoregamer00 View Post

In the almost 10 years I have been doing cosplay photography, there has been a handful of times I have been rejected outright.
I shed tears for this plight.
TykeJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2011, 12:08 AM   #370
The Fox
Photographing The Obscure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy_Juneko View Post
Im scare of photographers because I'm scared of rejection.
Trust me, the more professional you are, the more you experience it.

I normally get 1 out of ever 100 jobs that I apply for so rejection is something I hear daily.

With cosplay from what I have seen, 99% of photographers will not say no. I am more then likely the 1% that does as I am really anal about the images I create. I say no to what I know I can not do, is not in a direction that I wish to go, or is going to cause my greif and heart ache to do. Almost everyone else is never going to say no unless they are not interested at all(which is rare). I dont think I have meet someone that is into cosplay that will say no,they might not be less enthusiastic then others, but generally will still do it.

Nick
Unread 10-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #371
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

I actually do the same, Ill say no if I need to, generally based around a series that id lack the motivation to work through and thus put my name and reputation on a sub-par piece of work. . . not gonna happen. . . I think I pissed off a fair amount of my client base in my recent 'No Homestuck' announcement, but it is what it is

Upcoming:
Unread 10-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #372
Hexlord
The N. Meister

Quote:

There's the odd 1-2 cases where the cosplayers mentioned that they are too 'noob' to work with the photographer... owo?
Unread 11-01-2011, 02:44 PM   #373
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexlord View Post
There's the odd 1-2 cases where the cosplayers mentioned that they are too 'noob' to work with the photographer... owo?
Yeah, that is always a strange reason I get turned down, but it seems to be the most common excuse. They would typically say that they are not ready for a professional-level photographer or that they need to work on the outfit more before a pro can capture it.

Unread 11-01-2011, 06:24 PM   #374
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

Quote:
Yeah, that is always a strange reason I get turned down, but it seems to be the most common excuse. They would typically say that they are not ready for a professional-level photographer or that they need to work on the outfit more before a pro can capture it.
which is funny because the 'pro' just approached them so it, thus signaling pro-level approval

thnkfully ive never had it happen to me, theyve always been more than happy to strike a pose for me when I do ask. . . Maybe its my home region here in the South, but thats just how its been for me, but maybe once i have a few more years behind me that may change

Upcoming:
Unread 11-01-2011, 08:39 PM   #375
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoji-Aoyama View Post
which is funny because the 'pro' just approached them so it, thus signaling pro-level approval
Wow, if they turn-down you Pros...what chance do we amateurs have...
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote