Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #61
Stina006
Even in darkness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko.Oni View Post
Because the social standard is "women must be sexy at all times" comes from male chauvinist pigs who objectify women and shallow women who think that to get a decent man they must look as beautiful as possible or he wont want them. (harsh, but that's society's view) Thankfully this is changing a little, but as the old adage goes "sex sells!" so it'll never go away and we are forcing this on children to breed another generation who feels the same way.

If you mean on a literal level not a social one, then there is no reason except to make it clear it's a gender bender "female version" instead of a poorly-done crossplay. Think about this: is you saw a girl dressed as character X wearing X's normal T-shirt and jeans but with no chest binding or such, could you immediately know if it's a crossplay or a gender-bender?
couldn't it just mean "Women like slutting it up once in a while?"

Posting again because I seriously have something to share with you all:
I told my mom I was going to cosplay as a guy. Like, she's seen me in a makeshift ed costume before but never trying to look like a boy.
she said "Women shouldn't wear men's clothing or try to deliberately look like a man. People will think you're a lesbian."
XD I thought it was hilarious since she's a huge christian/your husband should be the only person making money in your relationship and you shouldn't have to pay for him-
Oh mom...She's 64 so I guess that can't be helped.
But what do you guys think of that type of allegation?
Edward Elric-Fullmetal Alchemist

Planned~
North Italy-Hetalia
Link-Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages ver.- The Legend of Zelda
Super Sailor Chibi Moon- Sailor Moon

Last edited by Stina006 : 11-07-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Stina006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #62
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stina006 View Post

I told my mom I was going to cosplay as a guy. Like, she's seen me in a makeshift ed costume before but never trying to look like a boy.
she said "Women shouldn't wear men's clothing or try to deliberately look like a man. People will think you're a lesbian."
XD I thought it was hilarious since she's a huge christian/your husband should be the only person making money in your relationship and you shouldn't have to pay for him-
Well from my point of view; if I'm dressing as a blonde demonic female thief (who admits to stealing out of spite) and the female part is what makes someone think I should be worried about the impression it gives people, then I'm not sure I value their opinion. ¬_¬

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #63
Ragtime Mouth
Can + Bakery + ??= Profit

I don't care if someone genderbends a character, I just absolutely despise any woman who turns a fully clothed male character into a skimpy female version. It just makes us look bad, I don't think it's even funny, it's demeaning. There are some acceptions, like for everything, but most of the time it's a bullsht excuse to show some skin. I'm all for women empowerment, but you don't need to be near nude to be empowered.
Ragtime Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #64
Taokaka
Herpa derpa

I don't mind gender bends at all. I'm planning to make a gender bent Kamina soon! I would love to cosplay a lot of guys, but one binding can be a pain in the ass for me. And two, my mother is very against me biding, since I live under her roof, I rather not piss her off or upset her by binding. So with these being my problems, I will do gender bent cosplays, but not "sluttify" them. I would make the outfits fit the male characters.
-AnimeMidAtlantic
Taokaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #65
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!

Quote:
Depends on the person really. I know plenty of people who do enjoy it purely as a costume and would never so much as wear a V-neck sweater because it exposes cleavage. On that same note I have seen plenty of M->F crossplayers who's costume looks like it belongs on a pole in an adult entertainment venue... (I'm not one to talk, one of my crossplays I'm thinking about has a female wearing short-shorts and essentially a bra and tiny vest - nothing substantial) If it's just because of the 'shock quality' and it's more a joke than anything else, it's no different than dressing up as a terrifying demon (key word being "terrifying" I dont mean the 'cute demon girl' like all the Rosario+vampire characters) but if they LIKE that mode of dress, well......

And some people do it just because they like the attention once in a while. I know lots of people who dont get a second look unless they dress outrageously.

Quote:
Outdated, simplified to "Women belong in the kitchen" essentially. I think it's demeaning and a very sad view of 1/2 the population. Though she does have a point that, in general, a woman who dresses too much like a man often is viewed as a lesbian (not that it's a bad thing to be homosexual) but it does bother some people to be thought of like that. I will give her that point, but the rest of it is completely outdated and invalid.
Neko.Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #66
Lightning Baron
School of Puzzle Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko.Oni View Post
Because the social standard is "women must be sexy at all times" comes from male chauvinist pigs who objectify women and shallow women who think that to get a decent man they must look as beautiful as possible or he wont want them. (harsh, but that's society's view) Thankfully this is changing a little, but as the old adage goes "sex sells!" so it'll never go away and we are forcing this on children to breed another generation who feels the same way.

If you mean on a literal level not a social one, then there is no reason except to make it clear it's a gender bender "female version" instead of a poorly-done crossplay. Think about this: is you saw a girl dressed as character X wearing X's normal T-shirt and jeans but with no chest binding or such, could you immediately know if it's a crossplay or a gender-bender?
I think I was going for the literal level. I have seen a few Female version of traditionally male characters but most of the time the costume is like a bikini basically, or something with a super short skirt. From a technical and creative point of view such costume/outfits are lacking. You can feminize a character with going with the less clothing = feminine approach. I think you could make a outfit more feminine by the fit and cut as well as the details on the costume.

http://lightning--baron.deviantart.com/
Lightning Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #67
HeartlessNobody
King & Lionheart

Personally, I love genderbends most of the time. There are times where its unnecessary. But, people have their reasons.

I went to a con this weekend, and I was talking to a girl who was Fem!America, one of the newer designs of the character, and people were shunning her because how she was dressed, even though the design she was wearing was official.

Meanwhile, the next day I went to the con and I genderbent Panty. Why? Because when I was ordering wigs, me and my friend were running low on money, and short wigs are cheaper than long ones. And with the fact that genderbent PSG is popular (For some weird reason.) It was easy enough to find the wigs we needed for the male versions of Panty and Stocking. And people loved us.

I'm guessing it just has to do with characters, how often they get genderbent, and how convincing they can make it. I'll admit I've seen half-assed genderbent cosplays, but at the same time I've seen awesome ones.

What I am working on:
(New)Wicked Lady - Sailor Moon
(New)Ben Paul - The Walking Dead Game
(Fixing)Belarus - Hetalia
(Fixing)Wildcat - JKMM
(Fixing) Ibuki Mioda - Super Dangan Ronpa 2
HeartlessNobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #68
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Baron View Post
I think I was going for the literal level. I have seen a few Female version of traditionally male characters but most of the time the costume is like a bikini basically, or something with a super short skirt. From a technical and creative point of view such costume/outfits are lacking. You can feminize a character with going with the less clothing = feminine approach. I think you could make a outfit more feminine by the fit and cut as well as the details on the costume.
Well... there are 2 aspects here (no pun intended) close-up and far-away. If a person does only minor adjustments or adds details, from a distance people will still not notice it's a female-version, and will likely think it's an un-bound crossplay. Some people who arent all that interested in the series will never take the time to look at the costume, but may comment later "oh yeah, last weekend I saw a few X cosplays, one was even a crossplay but the girl didnt bother to bind"

Though there is a difference between 'obviously female' and 'slut'. if they take a well-clothed character and basically stick him in a bikini then, yes, that crosses a line (unless it's a joke and their group is doing a 'beach episode' cosplay) Clothes that match the female body-shape, such as the higher-waist on pants and similarly much shorter shirts/jackets/etc (not ones that show skin, but which are fitted to a female waistline) changing the character's hair from short and spiked to long and flowing, etc, are all valid indicators of a gender-bender.
Neko.Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #69
Hcoregamer00
PMX/Otakorp/Lunar Fest

I love gender bending, in fact I am holding a panel at Pacific Media Expo about Gender Bending Anime, Manga, and Cosplay. I have been so far into the hobby that I accept it wholeheartedly when a cosplayer does it.

As long as the cosplayer is comfortable with it, I am perfectly fine with them doing it. In fact I have had some amazing genderbent photoshoots

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime California, Comikaze Expo, Pacific Media Expo
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #70
Zartnew

I like it sometimes, as long as it's done well. I don't like "slutty" outfits, but I do think that sometimes, the genderbent version can be pretty cute. Although, I also like crossplay, so... to each his own I guess. I want to do both, because I like sticking to the character (via crossplaying them accurately) but I also like being able to be a bit more creative and imaginative with how they're portrayed. genderbending can also be great in a group, and a lot of fun. especially if you have both the male and female version of charas.

I'm actually planning on doing a genderbent luffy from one piece soon, because: a. Luffy is freaking awesome. b. I once saw a cute picture of him as a girl, and I think it'd be really cute. c. since he's a more common character, I'm hoping to be able to take some nice photos, maybe with a male version of him.

I should probably mention that I'm not planning on making his outfit skimpy. I've never even once worn a bikini to go swimming, so I wouldnt feel right in a crowded con... I just think that his personality is great, and it would be fun to do a girl version of him. I think my costume is going to be more childish than slutty, in the way I portray him. Can't wait to act like his chara!! (plus, I already have a longer black wig, and I'm short on money, so that helps too.) although honestly, I'll probably do the male version sometime too.
Zartnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #71
sanriah

Personally I'm fine with it, I cosplayed child Simon from Gurren Lagann replacing his brown shorts for a brown skirt and wearing a tank top under his jacket so I wouldn't be shirtless ( which he is under the jacket in the anime ). I think it turned out really well and got a lot of compliments. I didn't do it to "sexify" his character, I mean if I wanted to show skin I could have just gone as Yoko o.o I think if it's done right and it's staying true to the character it shouldn't matter about the gender eitherway.
sanriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #72
Ainsil
Om nom nom time!

I've cosplayed a genderbent character before (Canako from Hetalia and I'll be going as Shion from No. 6 at the end of January) and I enjoy it. I can't pull off a male figure at all, I've just got too much curve. So I've really come to appreciate genderbending, because I can still go as my favourite characters, but just in a different way. I take my genderbending pretty seriously. I keep enough of the original character, but just add more feminine parts. With Shion, mostly everything is the same, I've just replaced the pants with a black pleated skirt and black tights. I'm showing next to no skin also :3
I think if you can genderbend them, go for it. Just don't make them slutty, it's kinda disrespectful in my opinion.

Anime North 2014:
Clear (Dramatical Murder), Nagisa Hazuki (Free!), Sawada Tsuna (KHR)
Ainsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #73
Norakun91

Personally I love gender bent cosplays. They are fun and kind of exciting to see. I am planning to do a kingdom hearts roxas gender bend cosplay. Reason? I would not look good in his male outfit. I think if its done good and with care a gender bent cosplay is amazing.
Norakun91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #74
RitsukaUzumaki
Straight as a Rainbow!

In my opinion: Any Naruto character is fine to gender bend, because of the transformation jutsu. and if you feel like you can pull off the look on a character from a different anime/manga and it actually looks like the character then more power to you. Just make sure that it actually looks like the character's been gender bended, (lets say you're a girl and you're cosplaying Izaya or some other guy gender bend) don't just not bind your boobs and wear his normal outfit with his short hair. that's not gender bending that's just not binding.. no matter how big your breasts are.

2014 Cosplay Plans:
Jibril- No Game No Life
Possible 2015 cosplays:
Naruto or Sasuke- Naruto Shippuden
FemWakka- Final Fantasy X
DeviantART:
http://ritsukauzumaki.deviantart.com/
FaceBook:
https://www.facebook.com/RitsukaUzumaki
RitsukaUzumaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #75
thatgalsagenius
Tsuna's left hand lady

Unless you're not deliberating sexing them up (raunchy male to female versions basically), then gender bends are awesome.

My personal faves: genderbend!PSG characters... 'specially Panty and Stocking *_*
Cosplay blog: http://tsubameryuucosplay.blogspot.com.au/

Accounts
Deviantart: http://thatgirlsagenius.deviantart.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/thatgirlsgenius
Cosplaylab.com: thatgirlsagenius
lolitafashion.org: thatgirlsagenius2012
thatgalsagenius is offline   Reply With Quote