Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-10-2011, 10:38 AM   #1
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Bright colours in Steam punk designs

Most of the time I only see drab/muted colours used in most steampunk costumes, giving it a more grunge look to the items (dirty industrial). I have yet to see neon colours used (RAVE).

I'm my case I would like to use a richer colour palette with blue, teals and golds but I'm wondering if that is stretching it.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Brown is oddly one of the least steampunk colors there is. The Victorians invented FUCKOFF BRIGHT aniline dyes and you'd better believe everybody who could was wearing them, often in combinations that would seem psychedelic to a 21st-century eye. Bright colors were new! and scientific! and as far as I'm concerned if you don't have something to break up those drab earth tones you're probably a peasant. I mean, sure, maybe you are a peasant. But you don't have to be.

Neon was a much later invention and looks so 80s to me I'd have a hard time figuring out how to use it, but that doesn't have to be a problem for you either. I'd love to see somebody finally make it work for them.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #3
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
Brown is oddly one of the least steampunk colors there is. The Victorians invented FUCKOFF BRIGHT aniline dyes and you'd better believe everybody who could was wearing them, often in combinations that would seem psychedelic to a 21st-century eye. Bright colors were new! and scientific! and as far as I'm concerned if you don't have something to break up those drab earth tones you're probably a peasant. I mean, sure, maybe you are a peasant. But you don't have to be.

Neon was a much later invention and looks so 80s to me I'd have a hard time figuring out how to use it, but that doesn't have to be a problem for you either. I'd love to see somebody finally make it work for them.
First off, that bolded line made me fucking crack up.

Secondly, I totally agree with everything you said. The Victorians loved them some color...to the point they might have looked like a rainbow threw up on them. I like the idea of introducing color into steampunk costumes. I know I myself have been guilty of using drabber colors, but I have some steampunk costumes planned that will be very brightly colored indeed (they exist only in artwork form at the moment sadly).

Neons would be tricky to incorporate, but if someone can pull it off, more power to them!
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Someone told me to do my Alice steampunk in brown....

Screw that idea, I'm sticking with Alice's signature blue =P (but I'll throw in cream and a beigey tan color to make it a bit richer)
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
Brown is oddly one of the least steampunk colors there is. The Victorians invented FUCKOFF BRIGHT aniline dyes and you'd better believe everybody who could was wearing them, often in combinations that would seem psychedelic to a 21st-century eye.
Literature =/= reality. This is why everything was black/white/brown with an occasional tiny flash of red. Also a lot of literature focused on stuck-up aristocrats who probably felt it inappropriate to be that flamboyant... (It's the same as how Ninja are portrayed - back in Edo (?) japan they did NOT wear black bodysuits... they wore normal everyday clothes... but that's not 'special' enough for tv/movies/theater...)

I'd kinda like to see a 'psychedelic' steampunk mad scientist... would certainly be a refreshing break from the back/white/brown normally seen...
Neko.Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
novaraven1

My group has yet to make a brown/tan steampunk. We always choose a base colour, usually a jewel tone, and go from there.

But I do admit I myself am partial to grey velvets and brocades, I often pair them with bugundy or navy blue accents. It's what I look good in and I have the "If I were in Victorain England as myself, what would I want to wear" And I go flipping through my clothing catalogs and pick a dress style and shove some steamy bling on it once it's made. ^^;

My sister loves more pink tones like bright raspberry and light sky blues paired with greys to match her eyes. She's yet to try tea dying, all her blouses and ruffles are actually white and give a very futuristic/clean pressed military look when paired with all the buttons and gears and things.

Men I can see being more drab in their colour choices unless they're doing an aristocrat/dandy sort of character. But a little splash of colour here or there never hurt anyone, especially in lining colours, cravats and hat bands. Just pick one colour and have hints of it throughout to get a unified look.
Unread 11-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaraven1 View Post
But a little splash of colour here or there never hurt anyone, especially in lining colours, cravats and hat bands. Just pick one colour and have hints of it throughout to get a unified look.
I agree with picking a single color or shade and using it as part of the costume. I wouldn't mix too many colors, but one or two in the same color family can be great.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

For me the gold is for ascents the shade I'm going with is blue shot green silk. ^___^ Also a peacock brocades bodice. I'm very much in the planning stages as I won't start this costume till January 2013.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
Unread 11-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
Shine-Chan
Happy Little Tv

I like to use a lot of sari fabric in my costuming and it works wonderfully for steampunk. In fact my whole set for teslacon is is shades of neon green and black.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3025584/
The lapels here
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2226153/
Neon blue anyone?
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2226154/
And props in color
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2996430/
Shine-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 01:35 AM   #10
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shine-Chan View Post
What... the...??? Little info/background on this, it's so... different! (in a good way^__^)
Unread 11-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #11
Shine-Chan
Happy Little Tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko.Oni View Post
What... the...??? Little info/background on this, it's so... different! (in a good way^__^)
I got this top hat that was too big and wanted to make it fit and it turned in to this. I have a love of squids in general so it was a perfect match. Here is a tutorial of what I did to make it more or less.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/inde...c,12026.0.html
Shine-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shine-Chan View Post
I got this top hat that was too big and wanted to make it fit and it turned in to this. I have a love of squids in general so it was a perfect match. Here is a tutorial of what I did to make it more or less.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/inde...c,12026.0.html
THIS is what I love about steampunk, it's so very impractical and crazy, but also so very awesome! I wonder if you could put some small (fake) fish in there and somehow make them swim around...
Unread 11-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #13
Lightning Baron
School of Puzzle Fighter

I think the colour choices used by steam punk cosplayers is due to their interpretation of steam punk as well as the culture. I remember attending a steam punk panel and one panelist Talked about how in the United states Steam Punk has a very wild west flavour while here in Canada we have a more Victorian/"upper class" flavour to steam punk. Also many people chose the dark colours cause and a world were fuels like coal,wood and oils/desiel are used to produce energy and to make steam, it can be very dirty and bright colours tend to be subdued and Dark colours hide the dirt.

http://lightning--baron.deviantart.com/
Lightning Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #14
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I'm very much have a love of Victorian fashion and story setting so that's part of the reason why I'm drawn to that style.

Anime North '15

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
Unread 11-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #15
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning Baron View Post
I think the colour choices used by steam punk cosplayers is due to their interpretation of steam punk as well as the culture. I remember attending a steam punk panel and one panelist Talked about how in the United states Steam Punk has a very wild west flavour while here in Canada we have a more Victorian/"upper class" flavour to steam punk. Also many people chose the dark colours cause and a world were fuels like coal,wood and oils/desiel are used to produce energy and to make steam, it can be very dirty and bright colours tend to be subdued and Dark colours hide the dirt.
I could buy this. The style is greatly effected by what is already out there. People see the outfits and want to look like that but just a little different. I've seen that in ren-fair, roman, WW 2, and Civil War Reenacting. Like in life, trends come and go in these hobbies and probably will in Steam Punk too.

http://www.reproductionfabrics.com/
Here is a great site for fabric or getting ideas for fabric.

Fashion: A History from the 18th Century to the 20th Century, Collection from the Kyoto Costume Institute is a wonderful book for color pictures. I love the Worth stuff. There is more I could say, but I don't have the time. Just remember no one knows everything. I once made a ballgown for a woman. She bought this bright fucha fabric and I kept thinking that it was not at all period correct. Turns out that for 1960 it was the height of fashion having just been introduced.

Last edited by Ororo Monroe : 11-17-2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: I'm a horrible typer and can't spell.
Ororo Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote