Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #1
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

How to Post in the Props/Accessories/Armor Forum

How To Post In The Props/Accessories/Armor Forum

-After a couple recent threads of very off topic and poorly posed questions leading to arguments and rude responses I thought a thread like this might help those new to the forum, after having obtained moderator approval, here it is.-

The purpose of Props/Accessories/Armor forum is for cosplayers to get advise on various aspects of their costumes from their fellow hobbyists. Need advice on how to construct part of your costume? What materials to use? What methods will get you the desired results? This might be the place for you.

This thread is intended to outline a simple formula to help you in getting the most out of your time and inquiries on this forum by making it easier for those commenting to respond to your needs.

What to do before posting?

1. Make sure you're in the right place. This forum is for advice on constructing Props/Accessories/Armor, ect.
Threads soliciting things to be commissioned go here: http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/index.php.
Threads asking for critique go here: http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67.
Threads that do no fit in the above categories go here: http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

2. Google. You might be surprised, but a good portion of the questions asked here can be found with a simple Google search.

3. Search the forum. A lot of questions get repeated, especially regarding popular props/characters. Someone may have already posted an answer to your question in another thread.

4. Check the tutorial forum, here: http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=178.
You may not be able to find your answer in someone else's thread because there may not have been a need for the question at all. Lots of great tutorials, from lots of great cosplayers can be found here. Just because you can't find exactly what you're asking about doesn't mean that you can't adapt ideas from other tutorials to fit your needs.

So you've done all of the above, and still have questions? Then its time to post your question; here's how to do it so that you get the most from your inquiry.

1.Be very clear about what it is that you're inquiring. This means posting any relevant character and series names and REFERENCE PICTURE/S.
Do not assume people know what you're talking about. Even if they have a basic idea, there can be lots of little details that are easily forgotten.

2. Post what relevant knowledge and experience you have on the subject you're asking about. If you are completely new to constructing things of this nature, say so. It does no one any good to have a very intricate response to a question when you have no idea what the person is talking about.

3. Post your budget. It doesn't have to be an exact number, but you know about how much you can spend on a piece. Different methods yield different quality results, they also vary in cost. It does no one any good to get responses that may yield the desired results if you have no way to afford such methods.

4. Post your equipment and workspace access. Stemming from the budget issues, it does no good to have methods recommended to you if you do not have access to the tools and space to go about those methods.

5. Post any other relevant information. Anything else you can think of that might give people a better idea of what you're trying to accomplish. If you have ideas on how to go about something, don't be afraid to share. You may have thought of something that someone else wouldn't have, or may be able to build on to.

Why?
While following these steps may seem like an inconvenience when compared to throwing out a thread with something to the effect of "I want this. Where do I buy/how do I make it", it is in your best interest as you will most likely get more responses.
Not only that, but you will also more than likely get better quality responses because those commenting will have a better idea of not only what you want, but the means you have available to accomplish your goal.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
Zil

I'm really glad to see that someone took the time to write out this guide. I hope that all new users take the time to read through this, it will definitely help everyone on this forum out. Thanks 2DLogic
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 01:01 AM   #3
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

this IS a good thread..but chances are if no ones even reading the threads in the FIRST place to find their answers, they wont even look to SEE this thread. they will just straight post without ever taking time to notice you wrote this out..

now, dont get me wrong here im not putting down this thread, on the contrary, i think its a great idea, and i HOPE others actually do read this and stop spamming the crap out of the forums cuz honestly its getting quite irritating to see these people just being lazy and not even trying to find the answers, but wanting everyone else to do the work FOR them..i unlike most the people that make accounts on here have read ALL of the threads on the HQ forum and learned how to use the search before posting..sorry ranting now lol

anywho, thank you for making this thread and again i hope people actually take time to read it thoroughly
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
Yui
morally ambiguous
All-Seeing Eye

Great thread formatting advice! I'll stick this, in the hopes more people take notice. ^_-
Unread 11-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui View Post
Great thread formatting advice! I'll stick this, in the hopes more people take notice. ^_-
Haha, you beat me, Yui. He had been PMing me about this but I wasn't online last night when he actually posted it to stick it, so thanks!

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Witch Hunter

What if your looking for a vendor?

I'm actually trying to find a Vendor from the con scene. So how would I go about ask for that?

Witch Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
Sh4xx

Need help on costume

I have decided to make my armor out of cardboard, duct tape, craft foam, and spray paint (cheapest way i believe possible) if anyone has any advice on what other inexpensive materials to use , please do so. I need help possibly making a new helmet for my costume, and possiblly pretty much every piece. Cause ive tried to look up online to get information on how to make my things or even ideas... no luck.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2033468

thats who im going as, or trying to atleast haha

I need advice and or help on how to construct the following pieces
-shoulders *i have no idea how to make them stay put, or what to anchor them too*
-arm guards *gonna buy long brown gloves and hotglue the pieces i make on to it*
-the waist *prolly gonna use velcro to attach it, not sure if i should make it out of cardboard or not*
-shin guards
-face guard *same thing below*
-helmet *i already have it constructed to were it looks decent, but the duct tape is starting to lift up in certain areas and not sure how to smooth it out with out making it thicker/heavier/bigger then what it is already*
-pretty much everything that isnt pertaining to the katanas, banner/ flag thing or the actual cloth....cause i have that covered.

Now i know your not suppose to post pictures in here, but ill have a link to a picture of me with my mask

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for reading, and also thanks (if you help) for helping!
Sh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
grimloveline

So I decided I wanted to cosplay the White Mage Clavat from Final fantasy: Crystal Chronicles.
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5kf9ikAeP1qgylf3.jpg
I know it's a small picture but it was the best I could find. I also thought this would be a good starter for craft foam since it will only be 3-5 parts and NOT a full body suit or full body pieces. So far I have read A LOT of threads about how to do leather without actually using real leather. I can't afford real leather and I cannot work with it because I do not know how to. I have never worked with craft foam so I'm new to this and I would like more personal help than looking at a tutorial. The full question(s) is how can I make this easily and how much craft foam would I need for this? and how would I put in the insignias into the craft foam and make it look legitimately nice?
My budget can go from 50$-100$. I am a cheap bastard and I easily admit that because of my father. The materials situation depends because my father may already have a lot of materials I might need for making the armor pieces. I have several large work spaces that would most work perfectly for this. Also with experience with props in general the only prop I have made was a keyblade which turned out very nice for my first time. So I can easily learn if you are willing to teach C:
I am an absolute huge perfectionist so i can do a couple of test runs before actually making a really nice set :D
I hope this detailed explanation works for you and if you need anymore info just say so :3
grimloveline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
verdatum
Extremely registered user

The one step that was omitted from these instructions: Assuming your search didn't come up with a relevant thread that you want to follow up on, start a new thread. Give the thread a subject mentioning the thing you are trying to make.

People won't check this thread to see if there are questions; you will not likely get an answer.
Unread 10-17-2013, 02:06 AM   #10
Jlex83

I need some help....doing my first cosplay,so i chose this go easy and use card board. What's the best and cheapest way to cover card board edges before i paint with out making it look shabby?
Jlex83 is offline   Reply With Quote