Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 11-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
Assiduity
xPresistent;

Exclamation Fabric Help

Hello!
I'm searching for fabric for a cosplay I'll be working on here within the next month!
I've never sewn a cosplay together before, let alone buy fabric and this will be my first time doing so!
Soon, I'll be doing fabric shopping with a friend, but I have no idea what exact fabric to get for this cosplay.
Can anyone help?
It's for Sakura from Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle.
The outfit is clow country, which is a desert are and thusly, I don't want anything too heavy.
I need fabric for the base of the outfit, which is white, the gold trimming, and the purple upon the shirt and skirt.
Here are a few fabrics I've found so far, but I'm entirely unsure if any of these are good:

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd26103
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd26099
http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd728576

Finally, here are some reference pictures, which I hope are entirely helpful! :

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/3010/246564.jpg
http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/9...oirchronic.jpg
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/6607/djflksd.jpg
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/8476/jhdflkjshdf.jpg
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3622/clickvn.jpg

*I am not making the cloak at this time, but might do so in the future.*

Thanks to everyone for feedback! I'm entirely new to this and I want to get it right.
I'm nervous and excited to be doing this!
And I'm sorry if that's TOO many pictures! ^^;
{ Serah Farron (Final Fantasy XIII) – 5% }
- - -
Other Sites I'm on:
- Deviantart ;
- ACParadise ;
- - -
"A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same." - Elbert Hubbard
Assiduity is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

None of the above.

Weaver's cloth is a craft fabric; it CAN be used for garments but it will give it a very rough, homespun texture. Being what, a princess? She would not have that even in a desert climate. Canvas is too stiff. Ponte Roma is a knit (a polyester one at that, it has the texture of grandma slacks).

You're looking for something fine, but probably don't have the budget for a silk or one of Joann's outrageously overpriced linens. If you can order online I would suggest linen from fabrics-store.com, but if you have to buy it in person, then what you need to do is touch and feel all the fabrics. Hold the bolt up to see how the drape looks. Hold your hand behind it to see if it's too thin. A synthetic fabric would not be the worst thing in the world, but it has to have the right weight and drape to look classy but also comfortable. Joann's branded babysilk might be nice, if it came in off-white. I personally prefer natural fibers like cotton and linen, but cotton isn't very cheap these days.

You don't want anything heavy but you also don't want anything too light. It needs to have some body to it, and not be too sheer or thin enough to see through. The detailing would probably look best appliqued on, so you need a base fabric that is sturdy enough to handle applique without being droopy or weighed down - and yet is still flowy enough. Which is why I'd seriously look at linen. Just don't buy it in a fabric store, get it online.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
Assiduity
xPresistent;

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
None of the above.

Weaver's cloth is a craft fabric; it CAN be used for garments but it will give it a very rough, homespun texture. Being what, a princess? She would not have that even in a desert climate. Canvas is too stiff. Ponte Roma is a knit (a polyester one at that, it has the texture of grandma slacks).

You're looking for something fine, but probably don't have the budget for a silk or one of Joann's outrageously overpriced linens. If you can order online I would suggest linen from fabrics-store.com, but if you have to buy it in person, then what you need to do is touch and feel all the fabrics. Hold the bolt up to see how the drape looks. Hold your hand behind it to see if it's too thin. A synthetic fabric would not be the worst thing in the world, but it has to have the right weight and drape to look classy but also comfortable. Joann's branded babysilk might be nice, if it came in off-white. I personally prefer natural fibers like cotton and linen, but cotton isn't very cheap these days.

You don't want anything heavy but you also don't want anything too light. It needs to have some body to it, and not be too sheer or thin enough to see through. The detailing would probably look best appliqued on, so you need a base fabric that is sturdy enough to handle applique without being droopy or weighed down - and yet is still flowy enough. Which is why I'd seriously look at linen. Just don't buy it in a fabric store, get it online.
Oh my! Thank you for so much advice and tips! It truly means a lot to me!
Okay, then my friend was right about linen!
I went to their online shop, however, and didn't see an off-white color.
Maybe I'm blind? O.o;
LOL. I don't mean to sound like so much of a noob here, but do you think you can possibly link me what you would recommend white wise from their shop?
That'd mean a lot to me!
As for the applique thing, would you happen to have a tutorial for that as well?
Again, my apologizes for sounding so much like a noob here >__<;!
{ Serah Farron (Final Fantasy XIII) – 5% }
- - -
Other Sites I'm on:
- Deviantart ;
- ACParadise ;
- - -
"A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same." - Elbert Hubbard
Assiduity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I'm pretty sure if you do a search either in this forum or generally, using "applique" and maybe tutorial, you'll get lots of information. I seem to remember threads about how to applique floating around in here before, and if my guess is right, there's probably as many tutorials about applique as there are about bias tape on youtube.

Now to fabrics-store.com! And to be careful that I don't get tempted into buying something. XD Wow, there's double the colors that there were last time I requested swatches. By the way, this website will mail you free swatches if you want to look at the colors and textures. But IL019 is a good garment-weight linen, and I can verify that the Krista Natural is almost exactly the shade of natural creme off-white as in the reference pictures. Any shade marked just "Natural" is too tan, but you can always ask for swatches.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote