Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 11-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Aelita Fabric

I want to cosplay Aelita from Code Lyoko in her outfit when she's in Lyoko, but I can't figure out what kind of fabric to use, since it's CGI.
I was kind of debating spandex or some sort of stretchy fabric, or would that be weird for her pants? And then for her skirt and shirt.....I don't even know.
What kind of fabric seems suitable for this? Thanks in advance.
SakuraxTsubasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
cuddly_kitten
The Weird Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraxTsubasa View Post
I want to cosplay Aelita from Code Lyoko in her outfit when she's in Lyoko, but I can't figure out what kind of fabric to use, since it's CGI.
I was kind of debating spandex or some sort of stretchy fabric, or would that be weird for her pants? And then for her skirt and shirt.....I don't even know.
What kind of fabric seems suitable for this? Thanks in advance.
Honeslty I would just use cotton, there are patterns to make the stuff simple shirt and skirt type patterns (with altering in some cases) and use bias tape for the light pink on the shirt and skrt. For the armbands I'm sure there is a tutorial around here for something like that, and for the under "armor" same material or close. Suggest what the pattern suggests I can try and find patterns close to the outfit and link them too you if you want me too. The pants look bunched up because of the straps on her legs.

Below are just some different ideas for fabric that you could use, some may have a different name.
Pants- Tencel, Batiste, Slinky Knit, Plisse, Peau de Soie, monk's cloth, etc.
Skirt/Shirt- Cotton fabrics, wool fabrics (there are many different types I find Wool crepe appealing)

There are tons of fabrics you could use, its really up to you what you wanna use and what you would be comfortable in and fits you best. I find silk or satin the best for the pants but silk and satin is usually shiny and not to mention slick. Good luck!

Upcoming cosplays:
Sakura Haruno 80%
Meiko 10%
Rukia 0%

Upcoming conventions:
Kawa Kon

Last edited by cuddly_kitten : 11-28-2011 at 09:51 AM.
cuddly_kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Syagria
Imperatrix of Star + Wave

I definitely would *not* use spandex or anything similar. Aelita's outfit isn't skin-tight or clingy, just tailored. High-synthetic-content knitted fabrics tend to be very flexible and stretchy, but also rather limp - you probably won't get the nice puffy blouse-y effect on her sleeve/arm warmers if you use that.

Current Project: Star Trek Original Series Uniform!
Next Project: Original Creation for AB13
Most Recent Con: Nauticon 2012
Next Cons: PAX East, Anime Boston 2013
Syagria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Thanks for the input, guys.
After talking with my friends on facebook, I was kind of thinking of using some sort of thickish cotton for the pink parts and using stretchy-ish fabric for the green parts because I see those as being soft and flexible sort of like those nicer t-shirts you can get.

Syagria-I do agree with you though. Instead of using something like that for her arm-warmers and shirt/pants, I guess I should go with something thicker, but I don't really know what.
I like the idea of cotton, but what weave would be thick enough? A basic weave would be see-through and thin, so I definitely won't use that.
Unread 11-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
cuddly_kitten
The Weird Kitty

Quote:
Thanks for the input, guys.
After talking with my friends on facebook, I was kind of thinking of using some sort of thickish cotton for the pink parts and using stretchy-ish fabric for the green parts because I see those as being soft and flexible sort of like those nicer t-shirts you can get.

Syagria-I do agree with you though. Instead of using something like that for her arm-warmers and shirt/pants, I guess I should go with something thicker, but I don't really know what.
I like the idea of cotton, but what weave would be thick enough? A basic weave would be see-through and thin, so I definitely won't use that.
I know broadcloth is pretty tight woven, maybe duck cloth (ive never worked with it before so I'm not sure). I would say wool but wool is hot and not comfy for a 8 hour con day(at the least). As for the armbands i would suggest using the same material as you did your under armor (since the pic looks like its the same) and use buckles or elastic bands to keep them on your arms.

Upcoming cosplays:
Sakura Haruno 80%
Meiko 10%
Rukia 0%

Upcoming conventions:
Kawa Kon

Last edited by cuddly_kitten : 11-28-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddly_kitten View Post
I know broadcloth is pretty tight woven, maybe duck cloth (ive never worked with it before so I'm not sure).
Broadcloth may work, but I know I don't really want to use duck cloth- that's way too stiff, isn't it?
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
cuddly_kitten
The Weird Kitty

Quote:
Broadcloth may work, but I know I don't really want to use duck cloth- that's way too stiff, isn't it?
Yes duck cloth is fairly stiff, but ive heard washing it takes away some stiffness. You might also check around for different polyester type fabrics too.

Upcoming cosplays:
Sakura Haruno 80%
Meiko 10%
Rukia 0%

Upcoming conventions:
Kawa Kon

Unread 11-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #8
Syagria

Yeah, duck cloth is really stiff... I'm not sure I'd use that, either.

Is silk is out of your price range? If so, what about a fake silk, like rayon? A cotton-knit t-shirt weight fabric could work, but I can't help thinking it might look a little weird for the pants (like sweatpants... not very appealing).

Oh! After a bit more thought - try looking into linen, or linen-like fabrics. They can be nicely blousey without being limp and clingy.

Unread 11-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syagria View Post
Yeah, duck cloth is really stiff... I'm not sure I'd use that, either.

Is silk is out of your price range? If so, what about a fake silk, like rayon?
Yeah, I know, definitely not duck.

Silk....well if I want silk then I'd have to really save up, but I wanted this cosplay to just kind of be one of those easy cosplays I do when I'm tired of doing things like sewing sequins *points to icon*
Fake silk is a maybe, but somehow I feel like any sort of shine, even if it's muted like bridal satin....wouldn't that look weird?

Quote:
A cotton-knit t-shirt weight fabric could work, but I can't help thinking it might look a little weird for the pants (like sweatpants... not very appealing).

Oh! After a bit more thought - try looking into linen, or linen-like fabrics. They can be nicely blousey without being limp and clingy.
Cotton knit is actually what I was originally thinking, except I thought the same as you- it'd look weird for the pants.
Linen might work. *thinking* Yeah, I like linen....but do you think the texture would show a lot? And...should I use that for the pink parts, too? Or...well, I'd think something thicker.

^^; I'm so sorry for all the questions I ask...

Last edited by SakuraxTsubasa : 11-29-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Unread 11-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #10
Syagria

I'd probably use something a little different (probably a little heavier) for the pink parts, just to give some variety.

Not all synthetics are shiny, too. I've used some rayon/polyester blends that have no shine at all; I think it was called peachskin... *goes to Google* Ah-ha! This is what I'm thinking of: http://www.denverfabrics.com/p/KKK33...Apparel-Fabric

It's polyester, but has no shine. It has a really soft texture (hence the name) and soft, muted appearance. It's usually pretty inexpensive, too. I've used it for skirts and it's got a nice drape and weight to it. Actually, I've used it for cosplay, too - the red skirt and uniform front for my Alice Seno costume was made using peachskin, if you want to see an example of it in action.

Unread 11-30-2011, 05:19 PM   #11
SakuraxTsubasa
a KarenCube!

Peachskin? Really? I've heard of it, and I'm pretty sure there's some in the silky solids section at Joann Fabrics, so I'll definitely check that out...

Thanks so much for all of your input, I think I'm gonna go for it soon!

Edit: Did a little looking around, and I found a nicer green. I'm still a little skeptical though, because won't the texture of it look odd if it's pants and a shirt? I mean, a dress would be fine, but...>.<
I think I'll go for it if it isn't too noticeably textured. It wasn't noticeable in your pictures, so I'm fairly sure it'll work...

Last edited by SakuraxTsubasa : 11-30-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Unread 12-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
Syagria

Yeah, I usually buy it at Joann's, but they don't always have a full range of colors. Still, if you just want to see how it behaves, you could check it out there first.

Unread 12-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #13
Syagria

(Also: Code Lyoko WIN!! I used to watch that show all the time. In college. Hee.)