Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #376
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfsama View Post
Wow, if they turn-down you Pros...what chance do we amateurs have...
thats why its in ' ' those things. . . I dont think any of use here can call ourselves a Professional with a straight face, Yeah I know there are real professionals among us, but as far as Cosplay is concerned im not so sure

THEY call us Pros because we get results that they cant with gear that they see as hella expensive. . . I myself am a Hobbyist, nothing more than an advanced amateur, Ill TRY to make a little something to cover my costs (travel expenses, etc.) but for the most part Im out there just to have some fun, and occasionally experiment with things like playing with my speedlights

Upcoming:

Unread 11-02-2011, 01:39 AM   #377
Seority
Love and tolerance.

Hey there! I'm more or less not experienced with professional photography and was reading this thread to find out some tips. I've learned lots that could help me out, which is awesome, but I do have a question for you guys.
A lot of the discussion here is about taking photos at conventions, and let me apologize ahead of time if that is what this thread is about. I was wondering if anyone has good tips about off-con shoots, such like in a certain setting and environment? I've been wanting to take some nice looking pictures of my friends and mine own cosplays, since all we have at the moment is what others take of us at conventions. For example, like photos done in a forest area, or maybe on the side of a busy street, or in a class room. Obviously reflecting the characters own environments and/or complimenting their personalities.
Any tips on posing and camera angles you guys think do the best, and just any tips a newbie like me should know.
Thanks for all your help!
Seority is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #378
Ashurachan
now behind the lens

Well, shooting outside of cons is much easier, since you have a nicer environment, a lot more time on your hands to think about what you're doing, less distractions, and a lot less to worry about.
Poses and angles should come naturally when thinking about the character and what you want to tell about him. If something doesn't work, take time to adjust it : experimenting is the best way to learn. Think about photos you'd like to see, and just try to make them.

My general tips would be : don't be afraid to try several settings, several angles for the same pose. You're on digital, so take as many photos as you need to get the one you imagined. Also, post-process - good post-processing can really bring out a mood for a shoot. And be very selective of what you publish (my average for a 2 or 3-hours shoot is between 20 and 30 shots published).
Ashurachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #379
Shoji-Aoyama
Dual Wielding Nikonian

^ she hit it pretty well. . . and I agree with all of it, shooting OUT of Con is SOOOOOOOO much easier that I do it whenever I can, once shuttling a pair of models 30 miles away from Con for good scenery and uninterupted shoots (well, aside from the Wedding shooters, but Im OK with them ). . .

ANGLES, experimentation is great, try them, fiddle with settings, have some fun, youd be surprised what you can get

Im not so big on post, and I keep a pretty hands-off editing approach, but I do agree that the right editing can make (or Break) the mood. . . and yes, as for published photos my keeper rate fluctuates between 10-15% so im generally quite picky

Upcoming:
Unread 11-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #380
Surfsama
Noob with a Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seority View Post
I was wondering if anyone has good tips about off-con shoots, such like in a certain setting and environment? I've been wanting to take some nice looking pictures of my friends and mine own cosplays, since all we have at the moment is what others take of us at conventions. For example, like photos done in a forest area, or maybe on the side of a busy street, or in a class room. Obviously reflecting the characters own environments and/or complimenting their personalities.
Any tips on posing and camera angles you guys think do the best, and just any tips a newbie like me should know.
Thanks for all your help!
Off-con photography is much more flexible but you have to be careful about who you work with since you don't want to go trotting off into the the woods with someone because they claim to be a pro photographer. That said, basically the world is your oyster. There are so many great ideas, locations, and props that can be used away from a con setting. Some character locations that complement the character your portraying are: Emma Ai (Hell Girl) would look natural in a field with paper pinwheels in the background or with cherry blossoms or in a Japanese tea garden while Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler) would be cool in a Gothic style church/school/building. How about using/borrowing a scooter for a Michiko Malandro (Michiko to Hatchin) prop.

If you use tilts/angles just don't go overboard and be sensitive to your backgrounds. Also, try to avoid defying gravity (example: earnings don't naturally hang sideways).
Surfsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #381
Hcoregamer00
Con Runner/Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoji-Aoyama View Post
thats why its in ' ' those things. . . I dont think any of use here can call ourselves a Professional with a straight face, Yeah I know there are real professionals among us, but as far as Cosplay is concerned im not so sure

THEY call us Pros because we get results that they cant with gear that they see as hella expensive. . . I myself am a Hobbyist, nothing more than an advanced amateur, Ill TRY to make a little something to cover my costs (travel expenses, etc.) but for the most part Im out there just to have some fun, and occasionally experiment with things like playing with my speedlights
Exactly, there are really only a few "pro" level photographers in the cosplay photography world (like Brucer and The Fox) but the cosplayers see DSLR gear with expensive lenses and they make the association that we are "pro" level.

Photography Blog, dA, FB Fan Page, Personal Blog

Future Cons: Anime Expo, San Diego Comic Con, Anime California (?), Comikaze Expo, Pacific Media Expo
Hcoregamer00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 03:18 PM   #382
Maiiko

I assumed it was because of an issue having to do with fire hazards. If you have equipment with you and around when you're at a con, it can block a hallway and even in general can cause someone to trip over the equipment.

Staff are probably just annoyed because they have to deal with a lot of things and seeing people with a lot of or expensive equipment means paths will be blocked or there is a potential of the equipment being stolen, and people falling because of it.

Free photo-shoots in California!
Just message me.
Maiiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2011, 03:27 PM   #383
Fremen
Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcoregamer00 View Post
Agreed, having someone turn you down hurts.

In the almost 10 years I have been doing cosplay photography, there has been a handful of times I have been rejected outright.
Lol yep...it sucks.
Luckily it happens somewhat rarely.
Currently attending Anime LA, Anime Expo, PMX and Anime Conji
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Fremen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #384
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

The big part of shooting outside cons that sucks is that you have to deal with a lot of logistics. You have to get people together, get to a location, find a way for the cosplayers to change, and there's also the issue of not wanting to do it somewhere normal people will see. I've only really done indoor shoots outside cons, except for my JoJo shoot way back, but with no cons on the radar until Fanime, I think I'll be doing some.
Max_Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #385
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Archer View Post
The big part of shooting outside cons that sucks is that you have to deal with a lot of logistics. You have to get people together, get to a location, find a way for the cosplayers to change, and there's also the issue of not wanting to do it somewhere normal people will see. I've only really done indoor shoots outside cons, except for my JoJo shoot way back, but with no cons on the radar until Fanime, I think I'll be doing some.
Honestly the majority of my photography-of-this-type for this year has been outside of cons, and all of that has been outside, nearly all in plain view of the public. Never had any real problems with that.

Logistics isn't that bad, it's really nothing compared to the logistics that a convention requires.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #386
Scorpion89
The Master

For me I belong to our local Anime Club so I'm the one who sets up all the monthly photo shoots. This way we kill 2 birds with one stone one I get to do a shoot with folks who I've been working with for a months and second we always have a new location example this months shoot will be this Sat at The National Zoo in DC the kicker is we are going to do it after dark during Zoolights. Allot of the cosplayers have decide to bring their best Cold Weather Costume something that they usually don't get to wear much.

I guess I say if you know of a local Anime Club join them find out what the group is doing for shoots. I know that in our group I have a few request for shoots a week from members who are getting their costume done and want to have pics done before the net big Con which for us will be Katsucan.

As for Con stuff I'm not sure how many folks go down tot he Con sections and look around at photo shoots that are being set up by the different cosplay folks but if your interested in doing Group Stuff check out the Con that your going to and see what the groups have planned. I know that I mainly now shoot just group stuff at the Cons I go to and I find it fun because you can get some real great group action stuff.
Unread 12-08-2011, 06:43 PM   #387
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

You can get a lot of posing ideas by using what is at the location. Lean or hide behind a tree. Try the same with a wall. Sit on a rock. Give your character something to do. Sit, crouch, or try a fighting stance, if that is right for a character. Walk. Run. Look triumphant, or defeated; happy or sad.

I recommend having your model look in various directions; not just at the lens of the camera. For intimate scenes of affection, closed eyes often work well when two models are close together. Playing
off, or reacting to another model will give each model more poses.

Look at other people's photos and immitate what you like. Learn to notice which angles look flattering, and which angles detract from a model's appearance. Watch for when arms or legs seem to look too short from the angle they are to the lens.

Last edited by brucer007 : 12-08-2011 at 06:49 PM.
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #388
Max_Archer
cosplayshots.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
Honestly the majority of my photography-of-this-type for this year has been outside of cons, and all of that has been outside, nearly all in plain view of the public. Never had any real problems with that.

Logistics isn't that bad, it's really nothing compared to the logistics that a convention requires.
It depends on who you're shooting with. I shoot with people who are very private about cosplay and aren't cool about doing it in a public place outside of a con, so it's tough.
Max_Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #389
ashe2kawaii
A Wolf in Chic Clothing

Current Peeve with myself>>

I am really starting to realise that i take ALOT of pictures with my face slightly/completely turned turned Left (or is it right?Xp) either way its bad habit (i usually hold the cam in one hand) It's not like i hate full on face shots but it's just for some reason i seem to like the side. Curse my wicked way!!!! (I hope to end that soon)

Any ideas on how i can take good full face shots and ween of the side a little? I have pics on my deviant art link below if you need to see what im talking about.

~Working On/Non Con Currently~
Clawdeen Wolf Ver.Unannounced (Monster High)~20%
Scheherazade Al-Rahman Ver.Cheongsam (Trinity Blood)~0%

~Youmacon 2014 Lineup~
Misuzu Kamio (Air) ~0%
Tifa Lockhart (FFVII)~30%
Pinky Pie (MLP:FIM)~80%
ashe2kawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #390
JessJupiter
Part-time Superhero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashe2kawaii View Post
Current Peeve with myself>>

I am really starting to realise that i take ALOT of pictures with my face slightly/completely turned turned Left (or is it right?Xp) either way its bad habit (i usually hold the cam in one hand) It's not like i hate full on face shots but it's just for some reason i seem to like the side. Curse my wicked way!!!! (I hope to end that soon)

Any ideas on how i can take good full face shots and ween of the side a little? I have pics on my deviant art link below if you need to see what im talking about.
Haha, I have this habit too! I tend to face so that my right side is towards the camera because I think my nose looks better from that side.

Really, the only way to break it is practice! If you're taking photos of yourself, you have the chance to just mess around and figure out how to position your face from various angles to the camera and what you like best. I mess around in the mirror a lot when I'm about to go to cons and think "Okay, what are some poses that I'll do when I'm wearing ____ costume?" and go from there. I'll do a lot where I focus on keeping my face towards my 'weaker' side and full frontal shots so that I know which angles I like my face at when I'm making different expressions. (Example: Evil characters do that eyebrow arch, look down their nose at you, and smirk or look serious. I can only raise my left eyebrow so I'll have to work on posing with my weaker side.) It feels silly, but it helps. ^-^

If you're working with a photographer at a photoshoot or something, just tell them your preferences before hand! I know whenever I'm shooting people and they tell me "I'd like to minimize _____ about my _____." I'll keep an eye out and help them pose in a way that I think helps them look their best.

Worst comes to worst, you ask to see a shot and if you don't like it, you can either ask to redo the pose or just not post it and find another shot you like!