Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
tehkukikookie
Uses galaxies as shuriken

Underweight but I have a Tummy?

Hi :] So I'm kind of in a pickle. I'm underweight [five foot two inches; 100 pounds], while at the same time I have a bulgy tummy. I'm not sure if this is a sign that I need to shed some pounds or something else [change diet, strengthen core]. I'm not sure what this is called so I really didn't know what to search for. Apologies if there is already a thread like this. ^^;

What do? I'm also kind of disabled so I need some workouts for someone with very limited leg mobility.

Otakon 2012
Red Dress/SMS Klang Klang, Kida, Micro Klan Klang, Aisha Clan Clan, Ms.Fortune

Toki Wartooth

Last edited by tehkukikookie : 12-11-2011 at 04:11 PM.
tehkukikookie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
Milky☆Milky
FLYIN' AWAY NOW

Do some core strengthening activities, increase protein and decrease your intake of wheat and breads as they can cause bloating easily.
Milky☆Milky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Ink
We're all mad here!

Tummy Help

I am looking for a few suggestions

I'm around 165cm - 49kg (though I am naturally slender, so it is not particularly underweight. Not unhealthily anyway). However, I do have a bit of tummy. As such, I'm looking for a way to loose said tummy, without loosing too much overall weight (I think my BMI is around 18.0 to 18.5).

I cook with a housemate, so I doubt any extreme changes to my diet will be welcomed.

Are there any good exercises that "only" targets your stomach? Please keep in mind that besides walking to and from town every few days since I don't have a car (it takes around 10-15 minutes to get there), I don't really do any exercising. Meaning, I am in pretty poor shape.

If anyone could suggest a good type of exercise for me, and for how long I should do it now at the start (how many times/how many minutes, and how many days a week), I'd be most grateful

Any other suggestions are more than welcome too.

Edit: Oh, I should mention that there is no gym around where I live.
And the mome raths outgrabe."
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #4
streamingjupiter
neko no hitai!

I would suggest doing crunches (the fulls ones - hands behind your head, going from almost resting on the floor to chest touching your knees), the plank (forearms on floor, body straight, somewhat like push-up position), squats, etc. I integrate that with pushups and running, works well for me.

Good luck! (Hope I helped!?)

Recently Completed
-MEIKO Alice of Human Sacrifice [Vocaloid]
-Gumi Matryoshka [Vocaloid]
-Gumi Difficult Love [Vocaloid]
-Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind [Ghibli]

Planned
-Eleanor Lamb [Bioshock 2]
-Gumi Love is War
streamingjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Yusette
Beginning cosplayer

Sit-ups! They do wonders to a tummy
Yusette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
Ink
We're all mad here!

Gods, I really am out of shape... I tried to do some sit ups yesterday evening. If I held my hands behind my head I couldn't even get off the ground. I managed 10, before I had to rest for a few seconds.
And the mome raths outgrabe."
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
inu.matto
Imperial Fist's waifu :3

Damn, you're lucky. I'm 166cm in height and weigh 63, though slowly losing some weight ever since I moved for university.
inu.matto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
LunarCrazy

^Have you been doing lots of walking?
LunarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #9
Ngibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusette View Post
This is bad advice (no offence) but you can NOT spot reduce. Try to do work outs with high reps and low sets (12x4) on various parts of your body. Try to reduce the amounts of fats and carbs you intake. Make sure the majority of your calories come from healthy foods and snacks. The last thing is Cardio. Try to get between 45-1h or carido a day.
Ngibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 12:36 AM   #10
tehkukikookie
Uses galaxies as shuriken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky☆Milky View Post
Do some core strengthening activities, increase protein and decrease your intake of wheat and breads as they can cause bloating easily.
Sounds like a plan! I, admittedly, eat more grains tn protien because of my tight schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusette View Post
I've been doing sit-ups for quite some time and they aren't so effective :\ Thanks for the tip, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngibby View Post
This is bad advice (no offence) but you can NOT spot reduce. Try to do work outs with high reps and low sets (12x4) on various parts of your body. Try to reduce the amounts of fats and carbs you intake. Make sure the majority of your calories come from healthy foods and snacks. The last thing is Cardio. Try to get between 45-1h or carido a day.
I've heard/learned first hand. -.- Do you mean things like pull-ups, jumping jacks, etc. or something else?

Otakon 2012
Red Dress/SMS Klang Klang, Kida, Micro Klan Klang, Aisha Clan Clan, Ms.Fortune

Toki Wartooth
tehkukikookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #11
Ngibby

Try cutting calories, but not by a lot. I know it may be hard to change your diet, but you wont lose body fat with out it. Even try only drinking water. There is NO WAY of only targeting one area. If you want to lose the tummy, you have to lower your body fat, and you can not lower your body fat with spot reduction.
What I suggest with you is a lot more cardio. Try going on a jog for 30-45 min every day on top of your daily walking. Also you do not need a gym to exercise. Here is some exercises you can do. http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/t...ictraining.htm
I suggest doing 4-5 exercises for 12 sets and 4 reps after cardio. Always try to switch up the exercises you do.
Ngibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
ctg21361

Sit-ups and crunches work the upper abdominals. If it is around the belly (lower abdominals), you will have to do leg raises, which means that the 'crunch' is not coming from the upper body but from the lower body. What is crunching is the lower abdominal area, not the upper. Make sure that it is a leg raise, not just a leg swing. There is also one in which you have your legs pointing towards the ceiling, then you lower your legs and bring them back up alternately (alternate leg raises). No such thing as spot reducing. Control your portions (yes, even if you are thin), be consistent with your workouts, and give yourself time. There is no instant or fast way to do it. You can lose it quickly, but you might regain it quickly as well.

Oh, isometrics also tend to help. When dones after the leg raises, isometrics are good for the lower abdominals (when you contract your lower abdominals, keep it like that for 10 seconds, then release, then repeat [10 reps will be enough]).
ctg21361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #13
Keto
Anonymous Bastard

I'm sure all of the above advice has merit. Bear in mind that 'targeted fat burn' is a concept which is routinely debunked, you should focus on un-fattening yourself in general. If you don't want to lose much weight, you need to gain muscle. It should be well understood that women tend to store excess energy in their abdomens and lower bodies (rear, thighs). You need to work with what you are given and save being an idealist until after you've lost your unwanted fat. From that point, you can target your muscle gains and achieve your ideal look/weight.
Keto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #14
Keto
Anonymous Bastard

Clean up your diet and you will see changes straight away. Try to avoid the overweight/underweight hysteria. I think such labels are baseless most of the time, and can easily become the psychological fuel for eating disorders.

What does your diet look like? What is your physical activity level?
I am 5'11". Six years ago, I weighed in at 125lb. I was a runner.
Today, I weigh in at 150lb. I can probably help by providing some ideas. I like Ngibby's response as well.. Answer my questions, please.
Keto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #15
Flux36

Do a couple sit ups everyday. And avoid seating all day long... Are an office employee or something were their routine is seating up in their office chair all day long?