Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 115 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #1081
ShiroHime

Howdy, y'all~ Got a few things I need to check on (I'm pretty sure it's all at least semi-lolita, but I'd like to be sure):

First, these pairs of shoes:
front
side

front
side

front
side

Also, I'm about half-way through reconstructing a Halloween shirt I found at Wal-Mart (I still have to put a square neck and some ribbons on it). The design kinda made me think of something from Alice and the Pirates, if that helps any...
cutsew
detail

Finally, I have a sweater that I got today from the SPCA thrift store, and I wanted to get someone else's opinion on how lolita it is. Personally, I think it looks sort of BTSSB~ :/
sweater
detail
(In case you can't tell, it's more of a cream color than white~)

Also, is there any kind of taboo or whatever on glitter or sequins? And is it okay to wear a sweater instead of a blouse or cutsew? (Not a cardigan, but an actual sweater like this one.)

Also also, what's your opinion on Qutieland replicas? Cos I've got a mess of the things that I'm thinking about asking for for Christmas.

Going to Animazement 2015? Me too!

Last edited by ShiroHime : 11-13-2011 at 08:26 PM.
ShiroHime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #1082
sucrose2071

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroHime View Post
Howdy, y'all~ Got a few things I need to check on (I'm pretty sure it's all at least semi-lolita, but I'd like to be sure):

First, these pairs of shoes:
front
side

front
side

front
side

Also, I'm about half-way through reconstructing a Halloween shirt I found at Wal-Mart (I still have to put a square neck and some ribbons on it). The design kinda made me think of something from Alice and the Pirates, if that helps any...
cutsew
detail

Finally, I have a sweater that I got today from the SPCA thrift store, and I wanted to get someone else's opinion on how lolita it is. Personally, I think it looks sort of BTSSB~ :/
sweater
detail
(In case you can't tell, it's more of a cream color than white~)

Also, is there any kind of taboo or whatever on glitter or sequins? And is it okay to wear a sweater instead of a blouse or cutsew? (Not a cardigan, but an actual sweater like this one.)

Also also, what's your opinion on Qutieland replicas? Cos I've got a mess of the things that I'm thinking about asking for for Christmas.
I think those shoes work great with lolita~ I love mixing shoes that are not really lolita with lolita outfits~ it adds personal style
For the cutsew, I think it would be nice if you made the sleeves longer and the shirt shorter. Those kinds of sleeves don't work very well with lolita and the length willmake it sit on your hips rather than your natural waist where lolita skirts sit. The print on the shirt definitely works for lolita, though.
I think that sweater is ADORABLE, but again, the length might be a problem.
Sweaters are perfectly acceptable with lolita~
Qutieland gets all of their items from taobao and resells them (hence why it's around $30 more expensive to buy from them rather than get a shopping service) but most of the replicas from Dream of Lolita (where qutieland gets theirs) are fairly nice from what I've heard/seen. You can look up reviews of DOL replicas on the EGL community on livejournal.
Hope I was able to help!

AM2:
White Witch (Chronicles of Narnia)
Portia (Hunger Games)

AX:
Sugata glittering crux version (Star Driver)
Fire emblem (Tiger and Bunny)
Ash (Adventure Time)

PMX: .... I don't know yet XD;
sucrose2071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #1083
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
I was browsing through patterns and found this. Would this work for a blouse? The E one is what looks the most lolita to me.
Just to show how it worked. My Pikachu blouse was made with this pattern. I used New Look 6599 for the sleeves.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #1084
Divinita Lunare Aria

I was at Jo Ann's hoping they'd have brown fabric with either baby blue/pink polka dots, but they didn't, so as I was heading to the check out, I spotted this fabric and freaked out because it was so similar to Chess Chocolate's print (but the pinks are different), so I bought 4 yards xP Sorry for the macro-ness of the picture!

I'm planning on making a low waist jsk, with three tiers (the tiers that aren't connected to each other), and a light pink blouse with a ruffled neck piece and short sleeves. And possibly pairing these tights with them because I love see-thru socks/tights. http://www.target.com/p/Merona-Women...i_detailbutton
And yesterday I purchased these shoes from Bodyline (but haven't received a confirmation yet @_@) http://www.bodyline.co.jp/bodyline/p...209:03:16%20AM

Still not sure about the head piece and if I should go for a wig.
Divinita Lunare Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 10:58 AM   #1085
Bodici22
is a crazy person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinita Lunare Aria View Post
I was at Jo Ann's hoping they'd have brown fabric with either baby blue/pink polka dots, but they didn't, so as I was heading to the check out, I spotted this fabric and freaked out because it was so similar to Chess Chocolate's print (but the pinks are different), so I bought 4 yards xP Sorry for the macro-ness of the picture!
picture

I'm planning on making a low waist jsk, with three tiers (the tiers that aren't connected to each other), and a light pink blouse with a ruffled neck piece and short sleeves. And possibly pairing these tights with them because I love see-thru socks/tights. http://www.target.com/p/Merona-Women...i_detailbutton
And yesterday I purchased these shoes from Bodyline (but haven't received a confirmation yet @_@) http://www.bodyline.co.jp/bodyline/p...209:03:16%20AM

Still not sure about the head piece and if I should go for a wig.
Sounds cute! I'd see if you could get a solid fabric in that color too, for smaller ruffles and contrast, but i love that fabric.

Also you can add me on twitter! Unless you have something better to do with your time than read about the insanity of my life.
Bodici22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 01:37 AM   #1086
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I came across some shoes that I think might work.

http://www.wetseal.com/catalog/produ...79&color=T AN

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #1087
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Those are so cute!
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #1088
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
I came across some shoes that I think might work.

http://www.wetseal.com/catalog/produ...79&color=T AN
Those are cute but I'm not sure they're entirely suited for lolita. Because of all the volume lolita skirts have, it looks a lot better when you have a more substantial shoe to balance things out. Ballet flats tend to make people's legs look stumpy with that much poof.
Unread 12-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #1089
oreobunbun
Bunny Lover!

Last edited by oreobunbun : 06-05-2014 at 12:15 PM.
oreobunbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #1090
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreobunbun View Post
I know that lolita frowns upon cheap, costume satin, but would bridal satin be ok for a one piece? Bridal satin in black does not shine much and has a very nice feel to it.

If it doesn't work, that's fine, I was just wondering.
I don't think it would be bad, but I'd still recommend staying away from any sort of satin if you're new to the fashion.
Unread 12-21-2011, 02:22 PM   #1091
oreobunbun
Bunny Lover!

Last edited by oreobunbun : 06-05-2014 at 12:15 PM.
oreobunbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 03:50 PM   #1092
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreobunbun View Post
I see. thanks for the reply.
Would it be best to only wear bridal satin for a more experienced loita? I was just wondering why that is? Is it becasue they are more familiar with coordinating and the rules and stuff?

I love lolita and I think bridal satin is a wonderful fabric, but I don't want to look Ita when I first start wearing lolita. I'm planning on using bridal satin for classic and gothic lolita. For me, it would look nice. But I would love more suggestions from experienced lolitas. =]
Pretty much. If a bad design is executed in something simple like a poly/cotton weave it's going to look bad, but if it's done in a less-used fabric like satin it's going to look awful. Satins aren't even used often by brands, the only examples I can think of are Altelier Pierrot's bustle dress: http://atelier-pierrot.shop-pro.jp/?pid=22167333 and Alice and the Pirates' Beauty and the Rose Promise: http://hellolace.net/wardrobe/alice-...e/jsk/item/25/ Lolitas as a general rule tend to shy away from things that have any sort of sheen to it. It's just seen as tacky, regardless of how expensive or nice the fabric is.

I would recommend starting out with more conventional fabrics, but if you're dead set on bridal satin then you can try it.
Unread 01-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #1093
PrincessBunBun

Hello Everyone I am new! I was wondering if someone could help me tehe! I discovered Lolita while I was in Japan visiting my family and it inspired me to try the sweet lolita look. So I was hoping for some help !

I've bought this jacket - I'm not entirely sure if it's lolita or not but I LOVE it reminds me of my USA Chan http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Womens-Gir...#ht_9640wt_994

I also bought these shoes http://www.minkyshop.com/shoes/lolit...orm-shoes.html

My hubbzy wubbzy bought me this skirt how sweet is he!!
http://www.bodyline.co.jp/bodyline/s..._8&noSubType=N

All i need to buy is a petticote, knee high socks and some sort of top

Now for the questions

If I don't want to add a blouse what kind of top could I add to the outfit?

I know I need a petticote but how many do i need?

How am I doing so far?

Thanks for reading
PrincessBunBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #1094
-Still Alive-
Good evening, mentleGen.

I recently got into Lolita fashion and bought this dress as my starter. But since I bought it so quickly, I'm beginning to wonder. Is it still a dress with that slit or do I need to get something to wear under it? What can I do with this dress? (I also can't sew!)
Unread 01-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #1095
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessBunBun View Post
Hello Everyone I am new! I was wondering if someone could help me tehe! I discovered Lolita while I was in Japan visiting my family and it inspired me to try the sweet lolita look. So I was hoping for some help !

I've bought this jacket - I'm not entirely sure if it's lolita or not but I LOVE it reminds me of my USA Chan http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Womens-Gir...#ht_9640wt_994

I also bought these shoes http://www.minkyshop.com/shoes/lolit...orm-shoes.html

My hubbzy wubbzy bought me this skirt how sweet is he!!
http://www.bodyline.co.jp/bodyline/s..._8&noSubType=N

All i need to buy is a petticote, knee high socks and some sort of top

Now for the questions

If I don't want to add a blouse what kind of top could I add to the outfit?

I know I need a petticote but how many do i need?

How am I doing so far?

Thanks for reading
Those are all pretty cute! You could get a cutsew instead of a blouse, kind of like a t-shirt but cuter, like this: http://www.bodyline.co.jp/bodyline/s..._2&noSubType=N If it's a nice fluffy petticoat you'll only need one, but if it's a little bit flatter you might need more than one. Just depends on what you buy, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Still Alive- View Post
I recently got into Lolita fashion and bought this dress as my starter. But since I bought it so quickly, I'm beginning to wonder. Is it still a dress with that slit or do I need to get something to wear under it? What can I do with this dress? (I also can't sew!)
That's very cute, but it's a coat. You'll need other clothes to wear under it.