Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Final Fantasy

Unread 12-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Croweh

Squall SeeD Uniform Help?

Hey guys. Somehow I ended up volunteering to make Squall's SeeD uniform for my boyfriend to wear while I'm in Rinoa's dress. Anyway, I was wondering if you guys had any advice for the jacket? I'm probably going to end up making him buy dress pants and the boots, but the rest I'll be making. Mostly I was wondering what type of fabric would probably be best to use for it as well as what in the world can I do about his shoulder-pad things?
Anyway, here is a reference picture (this one is from Dissidia, but it is the same outfit as the one from the original game, his hair is just shorter here):

Thank you!

Edit: If you have any suggestions for patterns to use and edit for this, that would be lovely. ^^

Planned Cons:
Comicpalooza 2014 - Stephanie Brown as Spoiler from Batman Eternal, Gwen Cooper from Torchwood, and Sabrina from Pokemon
A-Kon 2014 - same as Comicpalooza except swapping Gwen for Lugia from Pokemon
Wizard World Austin 2014 - Buttercup from Powerpuff Girls, Fem! Sam Winchester from Supernatural, and Violet from Pokemon

Last edited by Croweh : 12-18-2011 at 07:24 PM. Reason: adding information
Croweh is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-19-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

well im not going to be much help, but i think at least for the jacket thing, use a thick cotton, like a uniform cotton or something. and i dont know if you have this idea or not but make a sort of hidden zipper fot the front so itll stay closed and make it the same color as the lining (the yellowish color, i dont know im kinda colorblind)

for the shoulder pads....wow..even i dont know..making them out of craft foam was my first thought cuz you can make the design on it very easily..but i dont know if they are suppose to be material like clothes, or like stiff almost armor type..i guess thats up to you..
also those boots should be simple to find at almost any thrift store..the ones up here ALWAYS have them..but since its winter and rainy a lot, any store like walmart and the like would sell them..so i guess since hes buying those thats something to let him know lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
Croweh

Okay, thanks. ^-^ The hidden zipper sounds good. As for the shoulder pads, craft foam could probably work. Eck. Not looking forward to that part of this. Lots of details. As for the coloring, what do you think would work best for this outfit? Do you think black would be too off since dress pants generally only come in black or tan, not that weird gray-looking color?

Planned Cons:
Comicpalooza 2014 - Stephanie Brown as Spoiler from Batman Eternal, Gwen Cooper from Torchwood, and Sabrina from Pokemon
Wizard World Austin 2014 - Buttercup from Powerpuff Girls, Fem! Sam Winchester from Supernatural, and Violet from Pokemon
Unread 12-21-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

yea the shoulder pads will surely be your most difficult area. also yea ive seen dress pants that color..the good will up by my moms place has a shit ton of them in that color..lol i havent seen that color much in stores but thrift stores will most likely have them..they are more the color an older man wears if you know what im talking about, and they always get donated..so try there first, if anything, you can always make them..just get a dress pants pattern..and use the same color you used in making the coat..but obviously a different material..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
Summoner Luna
Apprentice Summoner

When I made this for my husband, I used McCall's 4745 for the pattern. I just modified the lower half to have the right hemline, and put in an invisible zipper instead of the buttons. I used a heavy black suiting fabric I just had stored away, which by some divine power of the universe matched a pair of dress pants my husband already owned. If you know which dress pants you are using, I would take them to the fabric store with you and try and match that material as closely as possible. I just used gold bias tape for the trim... The one I made is not actually lined as I made it in a very short amount of time, but I do not think it would be difficult to line at all--the pattern includes lining, anyway. I think the red of the cuffs is actually a heavy lining material I had in the closet, also trimmed with gold bias tape.

For the mantel, I just drafted a pattern and used heavy cotton with a very stiff interfacing. I hand painted the designs (in the wrong color ^_^... Will be remaking that one!), and just bought a short length of silver chain which I tacked down to each end of the front of the mantel. I strongly recommend tacking the mantel to the shoulders of the jacket, whether with snaps or velcro or even loose stitches, if you are planning on wearing it outside. My husband has had to fight to keep his from flying away sometimes in the wind.

I have a few pictures of his in my gallery, though no direct shots. His mantel is several years old at this point so the interfacing is weakening a little from traveling with it so much, but it stood up really nicely for its first couple of years. When I do eventually remake it with the right color paint, I will make it the same way since I was pretty pleased with it.

Hope that helps!

I'll be waiting... I'll be waiting here, so if you come here, you'll find me... I promise.
Summoner Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Croweh

Okay, thank you guys so much. ^^ This helps a lot. Now I just need to take him fabric/thrift shopping with me sometime soon.

Planned Cons: